Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

:psyduck: :catstare:

Radishes own.

yeah, seriously. Both the taproot and the greens are delicious and versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

There are some remarkably stupid assertions in this thread recently. Yes, a pound of tofu may be a couple bucks, and a bell peppers may be 25 cents per pound, but in both of these cases you can find beef, or especially pork, at a more economical price given the sustenance it delivers a poor person. A pound of bell peppers is around 100 calories, and a pound of tofu around 500. A pound of beef is around 1000 calories. So the 2 dollar tofu means you can get 4 dollar beef. I can find 3 dollar beef. I can find 1 dollar per pound pork. Stop looking at price per pound without paying attention to price per calorie, or price per days you can live off the poo poo.

Heading off the inevitable factory farming jokes, please justify your ecosystem destroying reluctance on factory farmed monocrops. I have the blood of a cow on my plate, you have the blood of every bison to ever try to live on the prairie. Basically, gently caress all of you.

Logiwonk
May 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Casu Marzu posted:

:psyduck: :catstare:

Radishes own.

OK, so what do I do with them besides slice them thin and put them on salad?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Logiwonk posted:

Eat the fuckin greens, they are so delicious with eggs or alone or whatever. Then slice them thin and put them on salad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Logiwonk posted:

Poach them in butter and serve them with some salt and fresh black pepper.

edit: heck don't even poach them, just spread the butter on them and sprinkle a bit of salt and eat.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Radishes straight are great if your delicate constitution can handle the slight zing.

Re: the prices of vegetables. Again if I saw bell peppers for 25 cents each I would fall over myself buying a poo poo ton. I don't know how I'd freeze them but I would just eat them like candy either way because I do love them.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Saint Darwin posted:

Radishes straight are great if your delicate constitution can handle the slight zing.

A nice yoghurt dip can cut the zing if you can't handle it, also amazing for dieters who miss having a crunchy chip snack. I love them raw but they become more sweet when cooked and are super delicious in noodle dishes and curries.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

don't forget pickled or grated

the greens can be used any way you'd use spinach.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And on the off chance that you forget about a bunch of radishes that you planted in a far off corner of the garden and forgot about and they go to seed and then develop little seed pods that look a lot like peas well by golly those little seed pods are super fantastic in salads or to top noodles or anywhere you would use snow peas.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

pork never goes bad posted:

There are some remarkably stupid assertions in this thread recently. Yes, a pound of tofu may be a couple bucks, and a bell peppers may be 25 cents per pound, but in both of these cases you can find beef, or especially pork, at a more economical price given the sustenance it delivers a poor person. A pound of bell peppers is around 100 calories, and a pound of tofu around 500. A pound of beef is around 1000 calories. So the 2 dollar tofu means you can get 4 dollar beef. I can find 3 dollar beef. I can find 1 dollar per pound pork. Stop looking at price per pound without paying attention to price per calorie, or price per days you can live off the poo poo.

This is a wise sentiment, actually. I try to think of the price of food in terms of the price per calorie. I posted a stew recipe many pages back, which involved cheap cuts of beef, bones and marrow that the beef was attached to, onions, potatoes, cheapshit wine, and delicious spices, and was incredibly hearty. My boyfriend took a moderate portion to work for lunch one day, and wasn't hungry for dinner until 10 pm. It wasn't the cheapest thing I could have made dollar-wise, but it was a way better deal calorie-wise than rice and cabbage or something.

Also, bone marrow. Probably the best deal on quality calories, because you can buy soup bones for a dollar a pound, and marrow is some of the most nutrition, mineral and calorie dense stuff that nature makes. It's only 'bad for you' if you're in the fat=evil camp. It's also stupidly easy. Place bones on baking sheet on end, roast for 20 minutes at 450. If you can get straight parsley and a shallot for cheap, make the delicious little salad too. Then extract with the handle end of a spoon and spread on toast with a bit of salt. Afterwards, boil the bones into some stock and extract more minerals.

In general, I do stuff like buy whole milk (more calories and sustenance for the price, also it's the best milk), buy kale over lettuce (cheaper AND actually contains nutrients), don't waste my time with low calorie or nonfat versions of things, etc.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know if vegetables are the place to get calories when you're eating cheaply. I think rice, beans, and starches are the go-to sources for actually poor people, seeing as meat is still a luxury in many parts of the world just as it was basically everywhere for most of human history. Obviously, per pound, you can get more calories out of pork than you can out of bell peppers. This is why you don't eat bell peppers for dinner. You eat rice and beans/lentils for dinner, and you make it taste delicious with a wide variety of cheap, in-season, fresh vegetables that you buy at ethnic markets for pennies per pound.

Also I'm not sure I trust someone named "pork never goes bad" to be an unbiased advocate for the best way to eat cheaply.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Heading off the inevitable factory farming jokes, please justify your ecosystem destroying reluctance on factory farmed monocrops. I have the blood of a cow on my plate, you have the blood of every bison to ever try to live on the prairie. Basically, gently caress all of you.

I think the thread focuses on veggies so much partly because many of the people who are reading this thread are trying to learn to rely less on pre-packaged foods and to eat more healthily on a budget. It's good to point out that a lot of the food here may not be the cheapest when seen from a calories-per-dollar perspective and show people how to make the best filling meals. This point has been made before. Nonetheless this thread will be visited by all kinds of people and there are going to be very few who are so poor that every single calorie counts.

Eating good food for cheap is not just about maximizing your chance of survival and calling people stupid for giving eachother tips on how to make cheap dishes with fresh produce and quality ingrediënts in an age where tons of people are fat and unhealthy because they think good food is for rich people with too much money/time because "beepboop maximum efficiency is not achieved" is dumb.

Taking cheap shots at vegetarians because people have the gall to imply that eating less meat could save some money on your grocery bill (in the sense that eating meat every day would leave me with not much money for sides while cutting a few meat days lets me make awesome, varied dishes with lots of different ingrediënts) just makes you a dick because there are meat recipes all over the thread and no one was saying that people should stop eating meat. It's a thread about good food, not just about maximizing caloric intake per buck.

On topic: Broccoli Soup!
Broccoli soup is so easy it barely deserves a recipe: Take a big broccoli, cook it until soft, put in blender with salt, pepper and some of the water you cooked it in. Blend until it is soup, eat with grated cheese/bread/walnuts/whatever you like. Put in some cream if you're feeling fancy but it's delicious enough as it is. :swoon:

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 24, 2012

Logiwonk
May 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

silvergoose posted:

Eat the fuckin greens, they are so delicious with eggs or alone or whatever. Then slice them thin and put them on salad.

I will do this, I will do it nine times.

Seriously, thanks I completely forgot about the greens. I bet they would be good sauteed with curried lentils too. I think I will take the roots and pickle them - Kimchi style. Always wanted to make kimchi.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

I mean, if you want to get technical about it, the corn and other grain fed to your cow also were grown on the land that the bison once nobly blah blah blah, but you clearly only care about that when it allows you to call vegetarians assholes. Recommending vegetables isn't about saying vegetarianism is cheaper per calorie, it's about making tasty food on the cheap and getting nutrition--you know, complete nutrition, with vegetables in and everything, since multivitamins are absurdly expensive and so is disease through deficiency. But sure, gently caress everyone in this thread for saying that beef with no seasoning or side dish isn't the most amazing thing to grace your plate.

On topic:

When I was growing up, my mom would always buy the bags of discount bananas that were super ripe. Problem was, we could never figure out what to DO with all of them. Obviously we made a ton of banana muffins and bread, and we ate them raw, but I'm curious if anyone in here has any go-to basic banana recipes lying around that uses a lot of them?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'd rather eat bison, but they were just so darn fun to shoot, and the hump was apparently delicious. Plus you could drag the intestines through the coals and eat it like a giant string of spaghetti, points for doing it as a solid piece. I am not kidding.

Anyway back on topic, I made what seems like traditional poor European food. I cut up a bunch of cabbage, a bunch of potatoes, put them in a glass oven tray, cut up a bunch of bacon and fried it up with some onions, pour it all over the cabbage and potatoes, slammed it in the oven for an hour and a half. Came out pretty good but it really seems like I'm just being a fat American eating too much calories if I didn't slave in the fields to harvest those crops.

Plus I think it was $3 total. One onion, 3 potatoes, 1 head of cabbage, 1/3rd pound of bacon. I probably could have served it with noodles but I was too lazy.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I think this most recent discussion, incendiary or otherwise, brings up a very valid point: for people who are reading this thread, you aren't as poor as you think! It comes down to a matter of being realistic about what you're spending your money on and possibly making some lifestyle changes in order to get the most out of your food.

This is a bit of a summary from the last few pages and some extra thoughts added in so that people don't feel like they have to dig through and separate things. Feel free to agree or disagree, since I'm not thread police, but hopefully stay on target? I dunno, go hog wild.
  • Keeping a food diary (or just your itemized receipts for your groceries) and then look at places you can change to save cash.
  • Being realistic about your time budget. You'll need to give up time from somewhere else if you "just don't have the time"; or, you'll need to share your time with neighbors or other people in your community to help ease the burden.
  • Be open to trying new/different things. Some vegetables mentioned here may be easily available but are glossed over at the market simply because people don't know how it tastes or don't know how to cook with them (and don't have time/willpower to learn how to cook).
  • If you can, try to grow some stuff at home or in a community garden. Work something out, there are really a lot of places online like Apartment Therapy that has guides to creating a hanging herb garden from an over-the-door shoe rack. Scrap lumber can be used to create stackable planters. If you have a black thumb and don't know what the gently caress about gardening, go to your local plant experts (find one or go online if you are lost on that) and get some specific advice. This has a side benefit that if you get a bumper yield and overestimate the amount of lettuce or cabbage you're going to eat, you can preserve them or even sell them to other people on the side. More money!
  • If you are truly destitute you should probably reduce or get rid of internet services, television etc. to free up some cash for food and look for local or government aid such as food stamps or church food drives.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nicol Bolas posted:

When I was growing up, my mom would always buy the bags of discount bananas that were super ripe. Problem was, we could never figure out what to DO with all of them. Obviously we made a ton of banana muffins and bread, and we ate them raw, but I'm curious if anyone in here has any go-to basic banana recipes lying around that uses a lot of them?
You can make banana ice cream! It's just the one ingredient you need, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQOXeUWX0w

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Saint Darwin posted:

I'd rather eat bison, but they were just so darn fun to shoot, and the hump was apparently delicious. Plus you could drag the intestines through the coals and eat it like a giant string of spaghetti, points for doing it as a solid piece. I am not kidding.

Anyway back on topic, I made what seems like traditional poor European food. I cut up a bunch of cabbage, a bunch of potatoes, put them in a glass oven tray, cut up a bunch of bacon and fried it up with some onions, pour it all over the cabbage and potatoes, slammed it in the oven for an hour and a half. Came out pretty good but it really seems like I'm just being a fat American eating too much calories if I didn't slave in the fields to harvest those crops.

Plus I think it was $3 total. One onion, 3 potatoes, 1 head of cabbage, 1/3rd pound of bacon. I probably could have served it with noodles but I was too lazy.

I seem to think there should be cream involved here somewhere...

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm sure it has been mentioned already but seriously if you want to save money you must look for a farmer's market and use it as much as possible.

I spend around $30 every Saturday at the farmer's market and today it got me:

1 kg of cheese
1/2 kg of fish (mahi mahi today)
1/2 kg of rib eye roast
16 eggs
1/4 kg of coffee
5 huge zucchinis
3 rolls of spinach (making soup with one just now)
12 small red bell peppers
A gigantic bag of oranges (30 or so)
A pupusa with extra chicharron for breakfast

I still have onions, beans, rice, tomatoes and chayotes from last week too. I rarely go to the supermarket unless it's for hygiene/cleaning stuff.

Granted the prices/availability of stuff will vary a lot in other parts of the world, but I seriously doubt that any of these things are cheaper at supermarkets.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Farmer's Markets will also cut prices the later in the day it gets, since they usually don't want to bring the produce back with them. You could also probably haggle if you're up to it for more savings, but don't be a dick, obviously, make friends with the people who are setting up shop and they'll probably be more willing to pad your bags with extra produce.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Buying cheese, fish, and meat at the farmer's market may get you better quality or more ethically produced products, but I can't see how it will save you any money. That stuff is always way more expensive than the supermarket equivalent (in California, at least, and I've been to many markets all over the state). The produce can vary a lot--I know farmer's markets where the produce is amazing quality, but really expensive, and others where the produce is dirt cheap but still great.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Dr. Chaco posted:

Buying cheese, fish, and meat at the farmer's market may get you better quality or more ethically produced products, but I can't see how it will save you any money. That stuff is always way more expensive than the supermarket equivalent (in California, at least, and I've been to many markets all over the state). The produce can vary a lot--I know farmer's markets where the produce is amazing quality, but really expensive, and others where the produce is dirt cheap but still great.

Eating meat is not that expensive as a whole because you have those ridiculously cheap, factory farmed, options. What is being argued here by many people, is that if you can only afford to eat cheap, factory farmed meat, then maybe the option is to cut back on meat, eat more vegetable starches/beans, and maintain eating quality and ethical meat.

Hence, the comparison made here is to other quality and ethical meat. Not to factory farmed meat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Logiwonk posted:

Pickle them. Pickled radishes are excellent.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Rurutia posted:

Eating meat is not that expensive as a whole because you have those ridiculously cheap, factory farmed, options. What is being argued here by many people, is that if you can only afford to eat cheap, factory farmed meat, then maybe the option is to cut back on meat, eat more vegetable starches/beans, and maintain eating quality and ethical meat.

Hence, the comparison made here is to other quality and ethical meat. Not to factory farmed meat.

Honestly, why does this really make a difference if all you care about is saving money?

One day I too would love to have "ethical" meat for dinner just like I'd love to have all high quality or local or organic produce and fresh eggs from chickens that I raise myseld, but I (and many other people) don't have the money (or space for the last one) for that.

When it comes down to making a meal that gives me the biggest bang for my buck, I'm looking at nutritional content (calories, protein, fats, vitamins, how satiating the meal is) not what makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside while my wallet gets thinner. I'm looking for the cheapest complex carbohydrates, the cheapest cuts of meat that I can cook quickly, the veggies that give me the biggest bang for my buck.

I've gone vegetarian in the past (6 months to a year) and when I did I really watched what I ate and how I got my protein, fat, etc. I felt like poo poo and I can't imagine trying to keep to the requirements of that diet with a low budget, no outside help, and feeling anywhere near as full as I do after a meal of meat and veg (with starches occasionally).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

wtftastic posted:

Honestly, why does this really make a difference if all you care about is saving money?

Because different people care about different things? This thread is about being poor and making good food. There might be an argument of whether good food includes ethical sourcing going both ways, but this thread is for a variety of people so there's no reason for such advice to not be posted with proper context.

For what it's worth, I spend about $100 a month on food while eating very un-ethically (Sam's Club chicken thighs) because for my YLLS goals, I eat about 1000 kcals/day with ~100g of protein. So I get your argument, this thread just isn't catered specifically just to people like us.

VVV
I don't think you read my post.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 1, 2012

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Uhh, "Rurutia", I was trolled for suggesting that the ethical component was secondary to the financial. Perhaps you ought to check your privilege as an entitled poster rather than suggesting others are somehow deficient for purchasing inethical meat.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anyone got any good recommendations for veggie/spice combos to go with chicken thighs? I wanted to roast some chicken thighs and veggies for dinner, but I get stuck on thinking up really good combinations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Garlic and broccoli

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

neogeo0823 posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for veggie/spice combos to go with chicken thighs? I wanted to roast some chicken thighs and veggies for dinner, but I get stuck on thinking up really good combinations.

This recipe is good: Levi Roots' Puerto Rican chicken. Chicken with rice, peppers, onions, olives and lime. I must make it at least once a month. It's a fire-and-forget dish, so you can get other stuff done in the time (like washing up, or watching TV).

Edit: hosed up the url code.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Death of Rats posted:

This recipe is good: Levi Roots' Puerto Rican chicken. Chicken with rice, peppers, onions, olives and lime. I must make it at least once a month. It's a fire-and-forget dish, so you can get other stuff done in the time (like washing up, or watching TV).

Edit: hosed up the url code.

That looks really good, but we've been doing lots of spicy tex-mex and spanish style foods over the last couple of weeks, and we're both in the mood for something more... I guess "earthy"? Comfort food-ish? I'm thinking of using more root vegetables, squashes, onions, and some herbs to go along with it. That sort of thing.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a good pairing of ingredients that I can just slice/cube up, throw in a baking pan with some herbs, oil, and chicken thighs, and roast until it's done.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been making this recipe from earlier in the thread a lot. Very easy, very good. Works with sweet potatoes too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Bro Enlai posted:

I've been making this recipe from earlier in the thread a lot. Very easy, very good. Works with sweet potatoes too.

That... actually looks like it'd work really nicely. Have you tried adding any other veggies or herbs to it? I'm thinking I want to add parsnips and definitely a couple different kinds of squash to it.

As far as herbs go, have you tried adding anything along with the oregano? First thing that comes to mind for me would be some parsley, and maybe just a bit of thyme. Or is it best with just the oregano?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
If you want to roast the veggies with the chicken, don't just use the regular root veggies. Also incorporate fennel, and slice up an orange to stick between the veggies/against the chicken.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
If you're fanging for a huge hunk of cheap meat to get you through the week, you can't go past that dietary staple of sailors and impoverished hillfolk: corned beef.

I get huge pieces of silverside for $2/kilo, rinse off all the blood and goop, hack away most of the fat and then cook it low and slow in simmering water with some orange peel, bay leaves and a couple of big onions studded with cloves.

If I'm making it for dinner and want comfort food I go full English and throw some carrots and baby taters in the beefy salty water until they're just cooked, then serve with some good ol' stodgy white sauce, lots of crisp greens and sometimes some homemade savoury scones.

The leftovers make for great sandwiches with lots of fresh tomato relish, or I shred the meat and add it to medamas for a solid breakfast. If I've got lots of random bits and pieces in the fridge I turn it into bubble and squeak, or dice it into potato fritters. We get a good five days out of one piece of silverside with no repeats, more if the dude doesn't carve off big chunks to snack on like a meaty handfruit.

[ask] me about eating super cheap using a WWII ladies home auxiliary cookbook. Seriously, check out Great Depression Cooking on YouTube or track down some old cookbooks to get some bare bones old school cheap eats, then just mentally update the recipes to use better produce & interesting seasonings. Retro is in, yo.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I actually was looking for corned beef at the store the other day and couldn't find it. I really should look into how to just make it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Random tip which has probably already been covered but I have been living by lately is that fresh herbs can really make a massive difference for little cost.

Parsley can be mixed into tons of recipes, and so long as you have a little patch of dirt to grow it in it will grow easily and you can have massive amounts of it for cheap. Also fresh garlic can be found cheap, and a single clove used when frying stuff up adds a lot of flavor.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Saint Darwin posted:

I actually was looking for corned beef at the store the other day and couldn't find it. I really should look into how to just make it.
It's pretty drat low on the difficulty chain. I'm sure you could go to extreme lengths to perfect it, but at the end of the day all you do is brine it and then slow cook it.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

biscuits are super cheap poor people food, I made a whole mess of them today with just flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, butter and milk, way better than those tubes and mixes where you just add water or milk.

You can of course just have the normal biscuits and gravy but you can also serve them with a hearty stew to sop up all those delicious juices or as I did with turkey and noodles, bonus is they make a great dessert with just some butter and honey or if you are lucky like me some home made blackberry jam.

Also super easy to freeze and just toss however many you need in the oven.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know why more people don't hunt deer. My favorite meal is venison backstrap butterflied and cooked in butter with canned potatoes and onions.

It's probably about $3 per serving. Venison teriyaki is my second favorite meal of all time and probably cost $2 per serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

indoflaven posted:

I don't know why more people don't hunt deer. My favorite meal is venison backstrap butterflied and cooked in butter with canned potatoes and onions.

It's probably about $3 per serving. Venison teriyaki is my second favorite meal of all time and probably cost $2 per serving.

I think that there are quite a lot of people who don't like the gamey taste. I love venison, but don't have guns or a bow. Some extended family do, and I always appreciate it when they bring some over.