Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tremors posted:

It was an off screen death though. With the health regeneration he had going on during that fight I think Capcom could say he washed ashore and was scooped up by the BSAA. I think having an infected protagonist would be a breath of fresh air for the franchise.

I would really like to know exactly what these guys are doing that viruses give people railgun arms and turn zombies into cyborgs or whatever that one guy in Leon's campaign did that kept slicing zombies into thirds and growing metal spikes. I liked Piers and I hope he returns in RE7 as Mega Man. drat thing's a mega buster!

quote:

I remember reading about the early Resident Evil 4 builds with that exact premise and was always a little disappointed that it got scrapped in favour for the one that got released.

I thought that idea got turned into Devil May Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

DehatstyTopinbout posted:

Man what the hell game. I'm playing as Helena for the first time and after every cutscene it swaps my aiming hand back to lefty. I get it Capcom, she's a southpaw. Now save my loving preference instead of switching it every minute.

Isn't there an option setting for something like exactly that? I could swear there was one for retaining handedness settings.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Man, I think I'm playing this game wrong. It seems like every single boss fight I use up all my ammo and end up running around scrounging for more bullets. I even melee all the enemies in the normal parts of the stages, but it doesn't matter, and I end up running out of ammo in the first 30 seconds of a boss fight anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Man, I think I'm playing this game wrong. It seems like every single boss fight I use up all my ammo and end up running around scrounging for more bullets. I even melee all the enemies in the normal parts of the stages, but it doesn't matter, and I end up running out of ammo in the first 30 seconds of a boss fight anyway.

Most bosses have gimmicks which allow you to do additional damage. They involve either environmental objects or hitting their weak points to stun them which opens them up to extremely damaging melee attacks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah. You really need to exploit the weakness or the fights last forever. For some reason, maybe because it was the last campaign they made, Chris's game is the only one where it's an absolute necessity.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah they didn't feel that version was scary enough to be a RE game but they loved the concept so they turned it into DMC.

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer

Spermando posted:

There's an option somewhere that fixes your shoulder preference.

Seedge posted:

I believe this occurs so you can see through the door if you're kicking down a co-op door. Otherwise you can't see past your body.

Fayk posted:

Isn't there an option setting for something like exactly that? I could swear there was one for retaining handedness settings.

Thanks, I missed that somehow. I set it to right hand only and it works most of the time. It still swapped me back to lefty after certain events but not nearly as much as it was doing it before. Definitely fixed the prob with having to tap R3 after every door and cutscene though. I'm done with Helena but I've still got Piers and Sherry to play as so that will probably help.

I can't believe I've neglected Agent Hunt for so long. It's a blast even in spite of the balance limitations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

randombattle posted:

Yeah they didn't feel that version was scary enough to be a RE game but they loved the concept so they turned it into DMC.

Really funny in hindsight seeing this game isn't scary at all and is basically a lovely Michael Bay movie and the secret ending may as well have been a teaser for a new DMC game to reenforce that.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
What's the most efficient way in Mercs to kill J'avo (normal, unmutated) with a melee? Like, with the zombies the best way is probably headshot->shoulder shot->coup de grace.

How can I set J'avo up such that it results in a guaranteed melee kill?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That was a different RE4. The first RE4 starred Dante with virus-based powers (instead of demonic powers) and basically had the same plot as DMC1. The version where you played as an infected Leon came later.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I just remembered that Leon does get infected in RE4 though.

For like, five minutes.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Trico posted:

What's the most efficient way in Mercs to kill J'avo (normal, unmutated) with a melee? Like, with the zombies the best way is probably headshot->shoulder shot->coup de grace.

How can I set J'avo up such that it results in a guaranteed melee kill?

The main coup de grace setup for J'avo is headshot/quickshot, slide. If you're Jake you should switch to hand to hand and do the first uncharged punch instead of sliding. If you're a male character, you can also go for the elbow.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Thievery posted:

For like, five minutes.

Well being infected has really changed definitions over the series. Used to just be that being infected turned you into a zombie when you died, then it meant you died really quick, then it meant started turning into a zombie on the spot, then it meant you started mutating, now it's like you get super powers and are basically the guyver.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thievery posted:

For like, five minutes.

I don't know, he gets infected at the end of Chapter 1 and is infected for most of the game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Crowetron posted:

Chris Redfield pulling a shotgun out of his own mind isn't even in the top five of craziest poo poo in this series.

Remember the live acction opening for RE 1? When Chris's profile is shown, a voice shouts out "I got a shotgun!". Therefore it makes sense somehow. :colbert:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Technically speaking, we've had an infected protagonist. Remember Sherry? And I think the implication is that Jake's unnatural strength is at least partly due to the C-Virus not really working on him enough for him to be a J'avo, but still providing a benefit.

That said, a character whose infested powers have a strong gameplay component would be neat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jetrauben posted:

And I think the implication is that Jake's unnatural strength is at least partly due to the C-Virus not really working on him enough for him to be a J'avo, but still providing a benefit.

I'm pretty sure that's because he's Lil' Wesker, since he has the same moves Wesker did. Also, I'm extremely glad someone in game finally referred to him as "Wesker Junior".

e: Jake's campaign is the worst one too btw. It's incredibly lovely that human controlled enemies get to circle strafe and counterattack Jake's melees. It made chapter 4's part where Sherry has to get the door for Jake and he's surrounded by twenty dinosaurs and grappling arm dudes impossible; it locked on to them, they dodged, then they all swarmed me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 24, 2012

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Well, that's what I meant. The only hereditary trait Wesker's blood provides is a resistance/immunity to the Virus Du Jour, or to be more accurate its negative traits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's kind of hard to get a clear grasp on exactly how super Jake is. He's seemingly got rockass kung-fu powers but he doesn't really act like he does and seems more weirded out by Sherry's regeneation than at anything he does himself. If he got superpowers from the C-Virus you'd figure he'd at least mention "holy poo poo I can punch through steel" or something.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 24, 2012

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy gently caress, defeating a Napad armed with only a Stun Rod is scary. :ohdear:

I still don't know what cutscene I'm missing. :downs:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of hard to get a clear grasp on exactly how super Jake is. He's seemingly got rockass kung-fu powers but he doesn't really act like he does and seems more weirded out by Sherry's regeneation than at anything he does himself. If he got superpowers from the C-Virus you'd figure he'd at least mention "holy poo poo I can punch through steel" or something.

True. Leon was evidently never weirded out by being able to roundhouse kick dudes' heads off, and in prior games the (to our knowledge) totally unaugmented Ada was able to pull off Ridiculous Ninja Jumps.

So goodness knows what's "normal" in the RE-verse anymore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When Resident Evil 2 was new the common rumor was that Ada was an android. Not just from the cutscenes at the end but because for whatever reason she actually has higher stamina than Leon in the few parts where you play as her.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

randombattle posted:

Well being infected has really changed definitions over the series. Used to just be that being infected turned you into a zombie when you died, then it meant you died really quick, then it meant started turning into a zombie on the spot, then it meant you started mutating, now it's like you get super powers and are basically the guyver.

It hasn't changed. They just keep introducing new viruses that piggyback off the old ones.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure he's actually "super" at all. He's good in a fight, but he's been a professional mercenary since he was fifteen, so that's to be expected. I don't immediately recall him doing anything that's more overtly superhuman than, say, Leon.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Wanderer posted:

I'm not sure he's actually "super" at all. He's good in a fight, but he's been a professional mercenary since he was fifteen, so that's to be expected. I don't immediately recall him doing anything that's more overtly superhuman than, say, Leon.

His punches can stagger Ustanak more consistently than a shotgun blast.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

In It For The Tank posted:

His punches can stagger Ustanak more consistently than a shotgun blast.

Leon can deliver a roundhouse kick capable of liquifying a human skull.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wanderer posted:

His legs are ultra-strong after a career of landing from impossible heights.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Jetrauben posted:

True. Leon was evidently never weirded out by being able to roundhouse kick dudes' heads off

I think that was originally handwaved in RE4 as the Las Plagas parasite severely weakening the head/neck in preperation for the growing parasite's erruption or some such. No idea if an explanation like that still stands for whatever the current biohazard is.

RE Zombies heads were never that resilient. You could also stomp those guys into decap if you managed to get a grounded one to nibble at your ankles. Even back in RE1-RE2 pointing a shotgun in the vaguest of directions at a zombie's head would usually decap him and his whole zombie entourage as if it were shooting 80 kilogram guillotine blades.

There is no justification, however, for Leon jumping off belltowers and sticking the landing like an Underworld Vampire though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Wanderer posted:

The C virus weakens the bone structure to make it more malleable and allow the J'avo or Zombie to adapt more readily to trauma.

Checkmate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The thing that stands out to me most is his final boss fight where he gets into a straight-on fistfight with a nasty BOW and wrecks some face. I guess Leon has Krauser in that regards considering his knife is the most effective weapon in that fight.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
He can powerbomb Ustanak and run at superhuman speeds. I don't think it's in the same league as Leon kicking heads off. I also think he got the powers from the virus, exactly like Wesker did.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Expect a new update mid-December that will add a higher difficulty mode and a new camera setting to fix the FOV issues.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Spermando posted:

He can powerbomb Ustanak and run at superhuman speeds. I don't think it's in the same league as Leon kicking heads off. I also think he got the powers from the virus, exactly like Wesker did.

Are we just dismissing the fact that Leon's solution to a giant boulder...(read:the earth itself) being in his way is to just punch it until it is obliterated? I am pretty certain that even wolverine would probably just climb the thing given the scenario.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SoggyGravy posted:

Are we just dismissing the fact that Leon's solution to a giant boulder...(read:the earth itself) being in his way is to just punch it until it is obliterated?

I'm legitimately angry that you forgot that this was Chris.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Everyone knows that Leon is a mediator and friend to the gentle boulder.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Now I want to see Leon kicking a boulder into the Milky Way.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm still missing a cutscene in Jake's chapter 3. I played through it as Sherry, but I didn't see anything different.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Policenaut posted:

Everyone knows that Leon is a mediator and friend to the gentle boulder.

I'm hoping that RE7 is Chris finding new (and old!) friends to get increasingly pissed off with. I love that while the other characters sound more urgent the more you call their partner, Chris just starts shouting at Piers to hurry the gently caress up.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm hoping that RE7 is Chris finding new (and old!) friends to get increasingly pissed off with. I love that while the other characters sound more urgent the more you call their partner, Chris just starts shouting at Piers to hurry the gently caress up.

I pretended that Chris was just drunk during the whole game. This made his campaign much more enjoyable (and at times, made more sense, too!). :eng101:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

More boulders in Leon's campaign (2) than in Chris's (0).

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

I pretended that Chris was just drunk during the whole game. This made his campaign much more enjoyable (and at times, made more sense, too!). :eng101:

I can't blame Chris for getting drunk. That guy's life sucks hard. He can't go five minutes without half the people he knows getting killed or kidnapped or whatever. The only person who has it worse is Jill Valentine.