Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's like Apple decided to do their best to satisfy the cries from creatives over neglecting the mac pro- but then went the extra mile to make sure that they'd never have the ability to service or replace a drat thing on the machine that they earn their bread with.

Apple's mobile device designs have made a lot of people pooh-pooh user replaceable parts, but I realized that the reason I don't have to upgrade my aging 13" MBP is that I've already put in 8gb of ram and an ssd. I'm really glad that I had that capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillAsian
Jul 7, 2004
As soon as they announced the refresh to the Mac mini, I was sold.

Been waiting for the past 6-7 months for a refreshed Mac mini.

Can't wait to make it my HTPC!

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The fact that they are still using 5400 RPM drives is pretty nasty. There's no worse bottleneck in that machine than the hard drive.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
As a prospective Mac Mini buyer, I'm wondering if the 2011 Mac Mini with discrete ATI GPU is worth it over the Intel HD 4000 from the recent (and I guess past?) update. An i5 can plow through basically any video (probably even 4k), but I'm wondering if there's any perceptible difference in video output through the same rendering pipeline between the two GPUs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

As a prospective Mac Mini buyer, I'm wondering if the 2011 Mac Mini with discrete ATI GPU is worth it over the Intel HD 4000 from the recent (and I guess past?) update. An i5 can plow through basically any video (probably even 4k), but I'm wondering if there's any perceptible difference in video output through the same rendering pipeline between the two GPUs.

The only reason I am going to upgrade is USB 3.0. I really really wish the new mini came with discrete GPU. :smith:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

For 2D/non-gaming stuff, I don't think there'll be an appreciable difference. Especially since you're (assumedly) beholden to Apple for the drivers. Just let the CPU decode all the video :science:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You of all people should know about the DACs in those suckers, man. Cough it up! I want to see SnR and ThD ratios with frequency distributions, stat!

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 18, 2019

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

The only reason I am going to upgrade is USB 3.0. I really really wish the new mini came with discrete GPU. :smith:

Supposedly the video is 25-30% less powerfull if the internet is to be believed. If I can find the old one on sale I am just going to pick that one up instead.

Any one know if any place is still selling the old versions at a discount?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bonobos posted:

Any one know if any place is still selling the old versions at a discount?

http://www.refurb.me/us/

jason
Jul 25, 2002

I am thinking about getting a 13" MBA as my next laptop. Based on yesterday's announcements, should we expect any price drops or changes in the next few months for the MBA? I don't need to get it right now, but do want it right now. I'll wait a few months if it's worth it, but if not I'm going to get it soon.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Bonobos posted:

Supposedly the video is 25-30% less powerfull if the internet is to be believed.

Bleh. I hope someone pits the 2011 mini with discrete gpu versus the new and shows us benchmarks. Id be interested to see how much performance the new cpu can make up for.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

jason posted:

I am thinking about getting a 13" MBA as my next laptop. Based on yesterday's announcements, should we expect any price drops or changes in the next few months for the MBA? I don't need to get it right now, but do want it right now. I'll wait a few months if it's worth it, but if not I'm going to get it soon.

Hard to tell. Looks like they wanted to, and did, align iOS product releases for the fall- that potentially leaves March-June for laptops and kicking off back to school promotions.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

necrobobsledder posted:

The Intel HD 4000 is about as powerful as the old nVidia 320M, and it's about 60-70% the performance of the AMD Radeon 6630M. There probably isn't much discernible difference on a window-by-window comparison, but keep in mind the 6630M has its own dedicated 256 MB of VRAM. The HD 4000 can take up to 512 MB of system RAM if you have 8 GB installed.

Also remember that as of 10.5 and later, the OS offloads most graphics work directly to the GPU. It won't make a difference if all you ever have is one window open for the web and another for email, but if you normally keep a shitload of windows open in your workflow, that difference between discrete and integrated will eventually be felt.

Tim made a point of saying that the Mini is still the most energy-efficient Mac in existence, drawing only 11 watts in standby. Part of that efficiency is due to the HD 4000, as it favors power economy over performance.

Apple posted:

Discrete GPU provides high performance graphics support using discrete video memory. An integrated GPU provides effective graphics support and shares video memory with the main system.

It's really a shame they're dumping the discrete option on the Mini, but Apple never really meant for the Mini to ever be anything except a low-cost, high-efficiency gateway machine.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 24, 2012

jason
Jul 25, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

Hard to tell. Looks like they wanted to, and did, align iOS product releases for the fall- that potentially leaves March-June for laptops and kicking off back to school promotions.

March is way longer than I want to wait. If that's the earliest anything could possibly change then I'll probably just get one now.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Binary Badger posted:

The Intel HD 4000 is about as powerful as the old nVidia 320M, and it's about 60-70% the performance of the AMD Radeon 6630M. There probably isn't much discernible difference on a window-by-window comparison, but keep in mind the 6630M has its own dedicated 256 MB of VRAM. The HD 4000 can take up to 512 MB of system RAM if you have 8 GB installed.

Also remember that as of 10.5 and later, the OS offloads most graphics work directly to the GPU. It won't make a difference if all you ever have is one window open for the web and another for email, but if you normally keep a shitload of windows open in your workflow, that difference between discrete and integrated will eventually be felt.

Tim made a point of saying that the Mini is still the most energy-efficient Mac in existence, drawing only 11 watts in standby. Part of that efficiency is due to the HD 4000, as it favors power economy over performance.

It's really a shame they're dumping the discrete option on the Mini, but Apple never really meant for the Mini to ever be anything except a low-cost, high-efficiency gateway machine.
Thanks for your figures on the HD 4000.

I had originally really been looking forward to an iMac refresh and I did get one, albeit far past the deadline for education discounts, although Black Friday could be another rare savings avenue.

It was everything I was originally hoping for but since the beginning of the summer I've reconsidered what my use scenario is going to be like. I think our household is now moving towards the laptop (stock 13" 2011 MBA) being the new desktop with the iPad (3rd gen) taking the role of the laptop used to be for. One of the reasons I'd been hankering for a new iMac is because I have a bunch of Steam games for Windows that I'd want to play in Bootcamp but need something more robust than an MBA for them. While the iMac (even just the entry-level 21.5") looks like it will fit the original bill, I don't want to move back into the office for gaming when the living room has gotten so comfortable.

I would've loved to see the 13" RMBP come with a dedicated graphics card, as although it comes at a premium it would be the only Apple 13" laptop that had one. I guess my current solution is to stop getting roped into Steam sales and maybe in a few iterations (HD 6000?) I'll be able to hack away at my backlog. I am otherwise a very casual laptop user so I can't justify going to the size and expense of the 15" lines when I love the size, lightness and price of the 13" Air.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

jason posted:

March is way longer than I want to wait. If that's the earliest anything could possibly change then I'll probably just get one now.

It's unlikely that there will be any updates before the Haswell chips come out (March-June 2013 according to wikipedia). I'm not sure if they've done a silent refresh spec bump yet, or if they will, but they're generally a bump of 100mhz and not a big deal.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for your figures on the HD 4000.

I had originally really been looking forward to an iMac refresh and I did get one, albeit far past the deadline for education discounts, although Black Friday could be another rare savings avenue.

It was everything I was originally hoping for but since the beginning of the summer I've reconsidered what my use scenario is going to be like. I think our household is now moving towards the laptop (stock 13" 2011 MBA) being the new desktop with the iPad (3rd gen) taking the role of the laptop used to be for. One of the reasons I'd been hankering for a new iMac is because I have a bunch of Steam games for Windows that I'd want to play in Bootcamp but need something more robust than an MBA for them. While the iMac (even just the entry-level 21.5") looks like it will fit the original bill, I don't want to move back into the office for gaming when the living room has gotten so comfortable.

I would've loved to see the 13" RMBP come with a dedicated graphics card, as although it comes at a premium it would be the only Apple 13" laptop that had one. I guess my current solution is to stop getting roped into Steam sales and maybe in a few iterations (HD 6000?) I'll be able to hack away at my backlog. I am otherwise a very casual laptop user so I can't justify going to the size and expense of the 15" lines when I love the size, lightness and price of the 13" Air.

Did you just graduate or something? You should be able to get an educational discount all year round. You obviously won't get the itunes credit, but you will get at least $100 off.

As for me, after having a MBP for a few years, I'm now anti laptop. My iphone and ipad really eliminate the need for one. There really isn't any content consumption I can't do on my iphone/ipad. Now a days, I only need a computer to do serious creative or technical work. When I do serious work, I'd much rather do it at a desk than on the couch and especially a big monitor. I suppose a laptop would be good for me if I were the type travels a lot and has to do work in hotel rooms. That's not me and besides, I have a company laptop for that kind of crap.

As for games, for one, most games are a bear to play sitting on a couch with a laptop. Secondly the current crop of laptops may be able to handle current games now, but that won't last. Finally, I don't know if it's common now a days, but my old MBP would overheat all the time trying to play a game.

I'm planning on getting a 27inch iMac when they come out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Losing the Radeon 6630m really stings. I don't do much PC gaming, anything intensive I use the PS3 for and lately I play more iOS titles than anything. Having the 6630m made the Mac Mini a pretty serviceable low end gaming machine for the rare occasions I might want to play a round of Civ or some older Steam games. I can't justify a gaming desktop for something I go months without doing, but this leaves me with one last reason to hang on to the horrible old 15.6" laptop I'm trying to get out of my living room.

This could all be easily remedied by winning the lottery and buying a maxed out 27" iMac of course.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oldmac question. I've got an opportunity to buy a late 09 2.26ghz unibody white macbook for $400 (I think I might be able to work the price down).

I'm buying it to replace my dying, older HP notebook. I'm guessing if I stick a $100 SSD in there, it will make a more than decent surfing machine, no?

Is $400 reasonable, or should I be pulling hard to get it cheaper?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Haggins posted:

Did you just graduate or something? You should be able to get an educational discount all year round. You obviously won't get the itunes credit, but you will get at least $100 off.

As for me, after having a MBP for a few years, I'm now anti laptop. My iphone and ipad really eliminate the need for one. There really isn't any content consumption I can't do on my iphone/ipad. Now a days, I only need a computer to do serious creative or technical work. When I do serious work, I'd much rather do it at a desk than on the couch and especially a big monitor. I suppose a laptop would be good for me if I were the type travels a lot and has to do work in hotel rooms. That's not me and besides, I have a company laptop for that kind of crap.

As for games, for one, most games are a bear to play sitting on a couch with a laptop. Secondly the current crop of laptops may be able to handle current games now, but that won't last. Finally, I don't know if it's common now a days, but my old MBP would overheat all the time trying to play a game.

I'm planning on getting a 27inch iMac when they come out.

Err, sorry, I should have said the back-to-school promotional whatever (giftcard these days). My wife takes french classes at the university part-time so it continues to (technically) qualify us. It's not much, but $100 is not nothing, either.

If I were on my own, I'd be much more hard-line towards either only iPad or only laptop because the two might be a bit extravagant; it sure felt like an overlap when I first had both. I have found that when I travel on business, I use both, though. The new iPad is great for meetings/conferences, where the Air is better for the prep work and after-the-fact reporting I have to do and as well as general mobile-office stuff. I must say even a year and change later it's still the best laptop (and best computer) I've ever bought, still really happy with it.

Either way, my wife likes using the iPad instead of her 4-year-old straight-from-Taiwan Asus 12" laptop, saving us from having to replace that crap heap, so when I'm not away on business she uses it the most.

Because I work in a small business my personal laptop is also my business laptop, but if I could have a company MBA, yeah, that would be sweet. A 13" RMBA would probably be the most I could justify for the work use, with a dedicated graphics card being only a slight nudge up to instead of over the line.

I played through Portal 2 on this MBA, though, with a USB mouse, and quite enjoy my current go at Spiderweb Software's suit of RPGs, so casual laptop gaming is something I do find bearable. Really, my real problem here is Steam sales, and you're right in that it's unrealistic to expect integrated ultrabook graphics to keep pace with modern games, so I should probably quit while I'm ahead. If only PSN had the same price points as Steam.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Because I work in a small business my personal laptop is also my business laptop, but if I could have a company MBA, yeah, that would be sweet. A 13" RMBA would probably be the most I could justify for the work use, with a dedicated graphics card being only a slight nudge up to instead of over the line.

If that were the case for me and I could use a mac at work, I wouldn't hesitate to get some type of pro. However, I couldn't use my own laptop at work if I wanted to so it doesn't matter to me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Haggins posted:

If that were the case for me and I could use a mac at work, I wouldn't hesitate to get some type of pro. However, I couldn't use my own laptop at work if I wanted to so it doesn't matter to me.

Maybe next time around I will go pro ice but the size and weight matter a lot to me. Where the price point on the entry level 13" MBP and 13" MBA is now the same, and having used my sister's 13" MBP I don't know if I'd ever take it over mine. Again, a slightly beefier (specwise) 13" RMBP would've been perfect.

Vedder
Jun 20, 2006

Hello guys

Long time Apple fan and I have been looking at the MacBook Pro's for some time now. The only other Apple product I have is an iPhone 4 but recently at work I have been given a big development project and my work is starting to shift from Windows Server admin to web developer, so I think what better time to get a MacBook to do this with. I currently have a 3 year old Acer which has served really well and I can keep that and install Windows server on it (I am working towards certification so I have a range of Windows VM's I want to keep). I can then remote into my current laptop to run VM's etc.

My question is on comparing the new 13" Retina display with the existing 13" MBP, I can see the following specs for the MBP I have had my eyes on:

2.9 i7 CPU
8GB RAM
750GB 5400 Hard disk (at around £1,200)

If I compare this with the new MBP RT specs

2.5Ghz i5
8GB RAM
128GB SSD

I am thinking that if you took the display and the general weight/dimensions out of the equation, with a SSD bought separately the original MBP would be more powerful, plus I have heard on the older versions you can get them up to 16GB RAM? I am thinking the retina display would be excellent but for what I will be doing I am thinking I need more power rather than a fancy screen?

Also do you know how much you can customise these things, I am assuming I couldn't stick any brand of RAM/SSD into one?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vedder posted:

Also do you know how much you can customise these things, I am assuming I couldn't stick any brand of RAM/SSD into one?

You can customize the 13" rMBP with stickers, I guess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well at least when the mac mini is updated to Haswell the HD5000 isn't terrible.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I thought that was 2013.

Yeah, Tim Cook said that they were "working on something really great for later next year", with regards to the Mac Pros not being addressed at the June event. Who really knows what that means, though. Could be anything from new Mac Pros to some crazy server farm you can use with all of Apple's Pro software.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well he said it was "for our Pro customers" so I doubt it's something other than a Mac Pro-like machine, even if it's an iMac Pro.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

gently caress! Anyone else just get the email that your iMac's seagate hdd is being recalled?

I wonder if I can get them to install a bigger hard drive or even a Fusion in my iMac and I pay the difference? Any geniuses with the skinny on this situation?

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/imac-harddrive/?cid=CDM-CAEN-DM-P0013590-192397&cp=em-P0013590-192434&sr=em

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Housh posted:

gently caress! Anyone else just get the email that your iMac's seagate hdd is being recalled?

I wonder if I can get them to install a bigger hard drive or even a Fusion in my iMac and I pay the difference? Any geniuses with the skinny on this situation?

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/imac-harddrive/?cid=CDM-CAEN-DM-P0013590-192397&cp=em-P0013590-192434&sr=em

I got my email a day or so ago, but about 6 months too late. Already replaced under Apple Care (Late 2009 27").

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Housh posted:

Nope. We have to put the new replacement in and send the old one back to Apple. There is no paying the difference for a different one.

Legdiian posted:

I got my email a day or so ago, but about 6 months too late. Already replaced under Apple Care (Late 2009 27").

Since you were under Applecare it doesn't matter, but if you had paid, Apple is reimbursing the cost of replacement.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know that nobody'll have the chance to futz around with the new iMac's innards until they ship, but I'm assuming that replacing your own drive is out of the question with these new Fusion setups, right?
Hard to tell. In the thing I linked yesterday on the last page it sounded like it was done in software and said that you could change the HDD out.

jason posted:

They generally don't change prices, but if a discount is the main thing you want (...I think you mentioned that in a previous post) just keep an eye on the refurbished section. That's pretty much the closest regular thing Apple does as far as discounting machines over time.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Housh posted:

Anyone else just get the email that your iMac's seagate hdd is being recalled?

Local AASP Onyx refuses to perform the drive recall swap since my iMac's "modified", but did offer a free helping of condescension. I had forgotten what non-Apple tech support was like.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

kuskus posted:

Local AASP Onyx refuses to perform the drive recall swap since my iMac's "modified", but did offer a free helping of condescension. I had forgotten what non-Apple tech support was like.

Out of curiosity, what is modified? SSD in place of the Super Drive or something?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Aftermarket Optibay/SSD, CPU, GPU. I was honest about it and hoped they might be cool guys who would literally just swap the HDD per the program. They said "You have absolutely voided your warranty." Guess what. Most of the iMacs that qualify for the program have been out of warranty for quite some time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Housh posted:

I got the email last week but I switched to an SSD ages ago. I see no reason to put the stock drive back just to get it swapped to a drive I'm not going to use.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Edit: I see you answered above. Yep, they weren't going to eat the cost when MRI would have caught all of that.

kuskus posted:

What's modified? The only good reason I can think of that they would refuse service is if your machine failed MRI. It is now required on every machine that requires exchanged pricing and warranty repairs, and if you failed it for a certain reason, they technically can't do the part swap with Apple without eating the cost and lowering the shop's service score. Those hard drives are shipped to each machine individually and require the old one to be shipped back in the box the new drive came in.

I mean, they should have been nice about it either way, but they honestly may have really been bound by Apple's rules.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Some former clients of mine are already complaining that when they brought in their machines to the Fruit Stand, they got them home only to find that their machines came back with nothing on them but the OS.

I'm sure when the Genius asked them if they had backups they just said 'sure sure whatever' and let them send the original drive back to Apple to have them ground to chunks or landfilled..

Yes, I did tell them about Time Machine but only one out of several felt like paying 70 bucks or so for a simple USB drive that would have saved their asses.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

kuskus posted:

Aftermarket Optibay/SSD, CPU, GPU. I was honest about it and hoped they might be cool guys who would literally just swap the HDD per the program. They said "You have absolutely voided your warranty." Guess what. Most of the iMacs that qualify for the program have been out of warranty for quite some time.

I would have sent you away too, no idea why you would expect them to be okay with your unauthorized modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Some former clients of mine are already complaining that when they brought in their machines to the Fruit Stand, they got them home only to find that their machines came back with nothing on them but the OS.

I'm sure when the Genius asked them if they had backups they just said 'sure sure whatever' and let them send the original drive back to Apple to have them ground to chunks or landfilled..

Yes, I did tell them about Time Machine but only one out of several felt like paying 70 bucks or so for a simple USB drive that would have saved their asses.

I did 6 HDD swaps yesterday and transferred all of the data as a courtesy (of course no one had backups), and then today a company-wide email came around saying that we were going to charge a flat $50 for all data transfers, and that the original email from Apple notifying the users read that transfers were not covered and to ask your service provider for pricing.