Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Has the freeze issue with Intel 330s been corrected? I just ordered a x230 and because I get a discount on Intel kit I was considering picking a 240gb one up but I've read that you have to do some registry fix to get them to work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Fermented Tinal posted:

Has the freeze issue with Intel 330s been corrected? I just ordered a x230 and because I get a discount on Intel kit I was considering picking a 240gb one up but I've read that you have to do some registry fix to get them to work right.
I'm not aware of any known issues with the SSD 330. Can you post a link to what you're talking about?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fermented Tinal posted:

The 330 doesn't have the plastic ring on it to remove and make it a 7mm, does it?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^ I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had put a 240gb 330 in their x230, can't find the link at the moment.

Alereon posted:

I'm not aware of any known issues with the SSD 330. Can you post a link to what you're talking about?

I saw a complaint on the NCIX reviews for the disk which had this link:

http://communities.intel.com/message/168682

A poster there suggested going here for a fix:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96663

The post on NCIX also suggested going here to fix:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved-for-me/td-p/38766

Apparently it's not limited to just Intel 330s.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 24, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fermented Tinal posted:

^ I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had put a 240gb 330 in their x230, can't find the link at the moment.
Probably just removed the board out of the housing and stuck it in.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I don't see any real issues, just people with bad/old/incorrectly configured machines having the usual issues associated with that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Alereon posted:

Yeah I don't see any real issues, just people with bad/old/incorrectly configured machines having the usual issues associated with that.

Ah, okay, the whole thing did seem kind of like an odd issue.

Bob Morales posted:

Probably just removed the board out of the housing and stuck it in.

I'm not so sure about that. One of the optional hdd upgrades for the x230 is a 500gb platter disk and most of those are 9.5mm tall while the ssd is 7.62mm.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 25, 2012

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What does it mean for an SSD to be "good for mac" as indicated in the OP?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ShadowHawk posted:

What does it mean for an SSD to be "good for mac" as indicated in the OP?
Works well without TRIM, as it isn't supported out-of-the-box, even though you can turn it on without issues most of the time. This pretty much means the drive has to be Sandforce-based.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alereon posted:

Works well without TRIM, as it isn't supported out-of-the-box, even though you can turn it on without issues most of the time. This pretty much means the drive has to be Sandforce-based.

I've got an Intel SSD with Intel controller and works fine in my Mac. Sure you have to use a third party TRIM enabler, but don't have any issues with it

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Fermented Tinal posted:

Also never heard of this/experienced this/I bought a 330 like a month after they came out on the market

Bob Morales posted:

The 330 doesn't have the plastic ring on it to remove and make it a 7mm, does it?

I have a 330 and the drive itself is both 9.5mm and solid, you can't make it 7mm, otherwise I would have also put a 330 in my x130e

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I'm building a mITX machine (just office/media use) with a 128GB Samsung 830, should I care about H61 not having SATA III / 6Gbps? Moving to H67/H77 would double the motherboard price but I'd rather not bottleneck the drive.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tunga posted:

If I'm building a mITX machine (just office/media use) with a 128GB Samsung 830, should I care about H61 not having SATA III / 6Gbps? Moving to H67/H77 would double the motherboard price but I'd rather not bottleneck the drive.

For office/media use it's probably not worth the extra money for 6Gbps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

After loving around with Clonezilla and EaseUS and who knows what else, I just booted a Ubuntu LiveCD and did the old 'dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8m'

Boom! Instant Windows 7 clonejob.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

After loving around with Clonezilla and EaseUS and who knows what else, I just booted a Ubuntu LiveCD and did the old 'dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8m'

Boom! Instant Windows 7 clonejob.

Just keep in mind that unless you were cloning from an SSD, your partition(s) may not be aligned. I think this can lower performance.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

Just keep in mind that unless you were cloning from an SSD, your partition(s) may not be aligned. I think this can lower performance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also believe that this effectively doubles the amount of reads and writes that you'll have to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Right - I didnt' even bother to check because it's for my mom and instead of taking a minute to boot + load Firefox it takes like 15 seconds.

I still need to expand the partition to fill the drive (I have like 10GB empty space) so maybe I'll check it then

Skeptic
Sep 3, 2003
No, I don't believe you

Obsurveyor posted:

I'm just about to update from a 120GB SSD to 240GB SSD and came to ask this exact question. I don't really need to re-install the OS and software and was wondering if dd had any "gotchas" or if there is a better method.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Skeptic posted:

I'm just about to update from a 120GB SSD to 240GB SSD and came to ask this exact question. I don't really need to re-install the OS and software and was wondering if dd had any "gotchas" or if there is a better method.

If you installed Windows 7 originally to the 120GB SSD you should be just fine. I went from a 60GB SSD to a 256GB SSD and my alignment was maintained. You can check it pretty easily after copying by running msinfo32, going to Components->Storage->Disks and making sure all your "Partition Starting Offset" values divide equally by 1024.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just got my system built and dear god are SSD's amazing. Getting 2 seconds from bios to login with Windows 8. Can't recommend the Samsung 830 enough.

Skeptic
Sep 3, 2003
No, I don't believe you

Obsurveyor posted:

If you installed Windows 7 originally to the 120GB SSD you should be just fine.

Thanks, that worked as advertised. Another Samsung 830 user here, picked up mine on sale too.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Just had what can either be a failing SSD or a failing motherboard.

My system BSOD'd and refused to restart in to Windows, error code 0xc000009. Swapped SATA ports for the SSD and now it boots and seemingly works correctly, but it has me a little spooked. Should I be most concerned about my SSD or my board?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Baggins posted:

My system BSOD'd and refused to restart in to Windows, error code 0xc000009. Swapped SATA ports for the SSD and now it boots and seemingly works correctly, but it has me a little spooked. Should I be most concerned about my SSD or my board?

The error code from the BSOD doesn't help without the name of the file that caused the error.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
System didn't create a dump file and the system logs doesn't show it.

Looking through the system logs I seem to have gotten a large number of atapi errors on port 3, so I'll monitor and see if the reappear now that the SSD has been moved to a different port.

I've had some memory problems on this board before, so I think it's the more likely culprit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Baggins posted:

System didn't create a dump file and the system logs doesn't show it.

Looking through the system logs I seem to have gotten a large number of atapi errors on port 3, so I'll monitor and see if the reappear now that the SSD has been moved to a different port.

I've had some memory problems on this board before, so I think it's the more likely culprit.

You can always run windows memory diagnostics. I think it's mdsched - but I'm in a pub using my phone so I may not have that right

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I know I posted about getting an Intel 330 series 240gb drive but apparently they aren't available via the Intel Vault. However, I went ahead and ordered a 240gb 520 series for $186. That's significantly less than the $250 from Canuck retailers which I think puts it at roughly the same price per gb as the never-in-stock 256gb Samsung 830 at $200, the best price I can find for them here.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Baggins posted:

Just had what can either be a failing SSD or a failing motherboard.
That's a common problem on Crucial M4s due to old firmware, see the siren warning at the top of the OP. Are you using version 0309 or 000F?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Alereon posted:

That's a common problem on Crucial M4s due to old firmware, see the siren warning at the top of the OP. Are you using version 0309 or 000F?

I'm on 000F, so I should be good in that regard.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I went and got a 128gb Samsung 830 from Fry's today for $80. I just have it in my laptop which is only SATA2, but man what a difference from the old 5400rpm spinny drive. My laptop gets quite a bit hotter than it used to as well, I'm guessing because it's actually doing stuff instead of sitting there waiting for I/O. So much faster.

Is there anything else I should do besides run windows experience rater thing, Samsung SSD Magician, and it's in AHCI mode?

e: And it is on the latest firmware.
Does this look about right for an C2D T7500 2.2ghz laptop? Seems fast to me.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 27, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
What about IDE SSD's? My rich roommate has a Panasonic CF-W4 with a dying HD and he wants to replace it with a SSD if he replaces it with anything.

Regardless of how pointless or whatever IDE SSD's are or what state they're in, I'm in no place to object to his ideas since he just bought me my new Panasonic U50 :angel:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It's probably easier to go with a IDE->CF adapter and just avoid lots of writes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Amazon tells me the Samsung 840 is out as a newer model of the 830...does anyone have any good comparison points for them? Current prices are 9 dollars more for 128gb, 30 dollars more for 256 gb, and 50 dollars less for 512gb, so I have no idea.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Thread advice is to wait on the 840 and go with 830 for now. Due to changes in the hardware.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ShadowHawk posted:

Amazon tells me the Samsung 840 is out as a newer model of the 830...does anyone have any good comparison points for them? Current prices are 9 dollars more for 128gb, 30 dollars more for 256 gb, and 50 dollars less for 512gb, so I have no idea.

The 830 just as fast in practice as the 840 pro. Spending more for the 840 gets you no benefit, unless the primary app you run is some silly benchmark program.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

ShadowHawk posted:

830: MLC NAND, previous-gen.
840 Pro: MLC NAND, current-gen, faster (but not to a degree noticeable on typical desktop workloads)
840: TLC NAND, current-gen, slower than 830 (but not to a degree noticeable on typical desktop workloads), theoretically cheaper, lower write endurance (significantly, but still more than enough for typical desktop workloads)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It should be noted that the 840 is more "next-gen" than "current-gen" on the grounds that it's the only one out there right now; the 830 is the same generation as all the other current front-runners.

But yeah, wait on the 840. Samsung has had a very solid reputation so far, but it really has no practical benefits over the 830, other than that it will (eventually) end up being cheaper once production ramps up.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

DrDork posted:

It should be noted that the 840 is more "next-gen" than "current-gen" on the grounds that it's the only one out there right now; the 830 is the same generation as all the other current front-runners.

But yeah, wait on the 840. Samsung has had a very solid reputation so far, but it really has no practical benefits over the 830, other than that it will (eventually) end up being cheaper once production ramps up.

I just grabbed an 830 256GB off Amazon for $169 and I can't wait to put it in my aging HP laptop (about 2 years old).

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask about hooking the SSD up. The guys at Fry's looked at me cross eyed when I asked them if they carried the internal connector to hook a SATA HD to a laptop. (I know just enough about modern computer parts to sound like an idiot so it's not a surprise)

There's a connector for the current hard drive that I was going to use for the SSD. But the laptop has an extra bay so I'd like to hook the original (non-SSD) HD back up.

This is what I'm looking at: Linked because picture is huge.
This shows the second (empty) bay, with first bay cutting off to the side. It appears they connect via a small cable I'm not familiar with. I gave the connection a pull to try and see if it was the same little connector near bay 2. But it's on there pretty good and I didn't want to damage it. I didn't know what that kind of connector was called.

However there appears to be a micro sata connector in the empty space (where it points "REMOVE") between the bays (near bay one, facing bay two (empty)).

Would I be right in saying I can just hook the SSD to the original cable in bay 1 and then buy this cable to hook non-SSD HD into bay 2? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056OB8GK/

Or perhaps there's an easier solution? (I'm sure I'm missing something)

Let me know if I should ask this somewhere else and I'll take this post out of the SSD thread.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

inkblottime posted:

However there appears to be a micro sata connector in the empty space (where it points "REMOVE") between the bays (near bay one, facing bay two (empty)).

That's the connector for a bluetooth or wifi accessory card. Note the wire holder for the whip antenna to the south of the REMOVE logo. The black mylar pad is to protect the laptop's motherboard from the accessory's circuit board. The two screw posts on the right end of the black mylar pad are to retain the card in place.

The second hard drive connector is probably just to the left of the camera flash. You are going to have to get that part from HP, along with the sled that holds the drive in place. The cable you linked to on Amazon is not it.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 28, 2012

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Obsurveyor posted:

That's the connector for a bluetooth or wifi accessory card. Note the wire holder for the whip antenna to the south of the REMOVE logo. The black mylar pad is to protect the laptop's motherboard from the accessory's circuit board. The two screw posts on the right end of the black mylar pad are to retain the card in place.

The second hard drive connector is probably just to the left of the camera flash. You are going to have to get that part from HP, along with the sled that holds the drive in place. The cable you linked to on Amazon is not it.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. HP doesn't show the price for the part until it's in your cart. But this is it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S4NO6I/

It's a little cheaper from HP, at $59.99. :bang:

For that price I might as well use my external hard drive as backup. At least I can just swap the HD for SSD since they're both SATA. gently caress HP.

EDIT: I might run over to RE-PC and see if they have it in some bucket somewhere in their store. Thanks again!

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I posted a Crucial M4 announcement thread here and added something to the top of the template thread in the Haus in the hopes of reducing the amount of firmware-related threads that are already cropping up. Make sure to tell your friends: update your Crucial M4 firmware to version 000F, but not the current version.

E: And now stuck like I meant to...

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 29, 2012

• Locked thread