Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Y'all are putting me to shame. I don't really have the energy, money, or inclination to actually do specific kid décor. My daughter barely has any real furniture in her room--she's still totally deranged about climbing on things and jumping and otherwise trying to damage herself. :shobon: (Plus I'm sick of spending too much money on shoddy furniture and I don't have the money for good furniture. We just accumulate stuff as it pops up at yard sales or relatives pass it along.)

Both my husband and I are professional artists so its expected! We're doing paintings to hang on the walls. Its fun because its a different style than we usually do.

Any suggestions for a good floor or wall lamp for a baby room? We have an old, cheap one in there right now, but we need something different. Its extremely easy to knock over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I decided before I got pregnant that I'd do rocket ships/ space no matter the sex of the child.

I painted this:

and then he has sheets with stars on them. The art I made for the walls is also space themed and one of my students made us a gift of a gorgeous colored pencil drawing with a space theme.

I'd have done the exact same things had I made a Lyra instead of a Ben.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Aww, that's an excellent rocket ship. One thing I love about my pediatrician's office is that each room has a mural with a different theme. There's a Space room, a Lighthouse/coast room, a Forest room, a Savannah room. It's great, especially for the tiniest smallfry.

I'd actually had dreams of painting some jolly fish and sealife (or making an origami mural--I've done that before) in the kidlet's room but it kind of fell to the side with a lot of the other Getting poo poo Done list. This time around the extent of my ambition is getting the Pack'n'Play bassinet thing in place before the baby is born.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I love the idea of sea animals in space! Husb and I are just kind of doing woodsy things. Haven't gotten a scan yet but everyone who's anyone likes woodsy critters. I've started knitting this mobile http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring09/PATTflock.php (different colours for the birds, though) because I need something to keep me busy on boring days. If you can knit in the round, it's actually super easy :)

Other than that, no theme.. we're renting, and the baby will share our room for a good while, until we move to a different place when the lease is up. I'm half jealous of you folk who can paint rooms and half relieved I don't have to!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Dandy Shrew posted:

Other than that, no theme.. we're renting, and the baby will share our room for a good while, until we move to a different place when the lease is up. I'm half jealous of you folk who can paint rooms and half relieved I don't have to!
We're renting too, and thus the baby decor has to be based around wall hangings, art, sheets etc. The basic wall is just a sandy tan colour. If I could paint the walls my rainbow theme would explode like a gay pride parade. Probably for the best that I'm not allowed to.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I put up wall decals in my daughter's room that I let her pick out recently. Totally too lazy to go completely all out for a nursery.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I would have done my blue and green landscape mural irregardless of gender - I'm a girl and I love blue. It's nice that my first was a boy because now I have all the blue and green clothes and no reason not to reuse them.

If I have a girl the gender confusion will be a pain though.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ceridwen posted:

Sorry you are going through this. I've had it go both ways from the point you are at now. Waiting to find out what will happen sucks, but there isn't really anything that can be done. Did the doctor have you schedule a follow up scan in a week or two?

We kept the one we made at my last scheduled visit which is November 16th, and I just left it at I'd call to come in sooner if anything changed.
Nov. 16th Can't come soon enough.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Lyz posted:

If I have a girl the gender confusion will be a pain though.

It doesn't matter WHAT color they are wearing, people will still get it wrong, and then act MORTIFIED that they did when they find out. My kid is bald. She is also, however, EXTREMELY girly looking. I've taken her out in PINK sparkle blue jeans, pink glitter shoes, and a pink jacket with little animals on it and people go, "oh he's so cute, how old is he?" "oh, she's almost a year, her name is Emily".

"OH MY GOD I'M SO SORRY... "

EDIT(to avoid potential conflict): I do not care if my kid is girly or dudely growning up. I am very much a tomboy, and I don't care what gender she portrays or what gender she marries as long as I get to make SOMEONE in that marriage a dress.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 24, 2012

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

Greycious posted:

We kept the one we made at my last scheduled visit which is November 16th, and I just left it at I'd call to come in sooner if anything changed.
Nov. 16th Can't come soon enough.

:glomp:

This is totally trivial, but I decided to have my hair coloured tomorrow and told my best friend, who is not comfortable with it because it can't be said to be 100% safe. This irks me. How many things can us pregnant ladies do that can actually be considered 100% safe and why do we have to placate everyone around us?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

There's something about a pregnant belly that makes everyone consider it public property. "Irksome" is a good word for it. It's not like I run around getting enraged because some goodnatured acquaintance asks me "if I should be doing that," whatever it is, but it sure does irk.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

An Cat Dubh posted:

:glomp:

This is totally trivial, but I decided to have my hair coloured tomorrow and told my best friend, who is not comfortable with it because it can't be said to be 100% safe. This irks me. How many things can us pregnant ladies do that can actually be considered 100% safe and why do we have to placate everyone around us?

I ate sushi throughout my pregnancy (though stayed within general fish intake guidelines), because we have a very safe sushi supply where I live, rode horses throughout my pregnancy... annnnd was in two auto collisions. A friend of mine was t-boned in her 3rd trimester, and spent a few days in the hospital getting monitored and having to get steroid shots. Nobody bitched at either of us for being in a car, but there was never ending flak for everything else. It's just one of those things. I've also had random people go up to me and bitch for breastfeeding in public, bottlefeeding in public, not having my son dressed warmly enough, having him dressed too warmly, etc. You've just basically doubled your baseline annoyance factor from your childfree days.

I do find it humorous that one of the local baby shops sells magic (albeit with fancy science words on the label) shirts and cellphone covers that protect your unborn child from cellphone radiation. Yet more ways that you can be deficient as a mother.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

ChloroformSeduction posted:

People telling you what to do with your fetus.

Jesus CHRIST I hate these people. I seemed to attract the worst of these types while pregnant: People who haven't ever had a baby telling me what I'm doing wrong.

"You shouldn't wear jeans, the waistband will squish the baby!" (these were maternity pants.)

"The caffeine-free Diet Coke is over there!" Thanks cashier 15 years younger than me, I totally asked your opinion telepathically.

"You can't buy beer while you're pregnant ma'am!!" Actually, person at the gas station I can buy beer for my husband all I want, I just can't drink it. Even though I'm apparently just a baby holder now, you aren't carding my fetus.

"Aren't you hiring a doula? Aren't you taking lamaze classes? If you don't hire a doula you won't relax properly and they'll have to give you a c-section or the baby will die and blarghlearglearrrrrr..." This is my fourth kid, I know how to push and breathe, a fact you would know if I'd told you but I didn't because it's none of your drat business!

Once Eowyn was born my stepdad followed me and my mom around (in a well-meaning manner) and kept telling us how we were holding her wrong, not supporting her neck right, going to give her colic by feeding her that way etc. My mother and I have raised 6 babies between us, he's never even held one before Eowyn. I've been bombarded like this for every pregnancy for 15 years now, I no longer feel irked by it, it's more like white hot passive rage. It burns. Maybe I should hire a doula to calm me.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

Jesus CHRIST I hate these people. I seemed to attract the worst of these types while pregnant: People who haven't ever had a baby telling me what I'm doing wrong.

"You shouldn't wear jeans, the waistband will squish the baby!" (these were maternity pants.)

"The caffeine-free Diet Coke is over there!" Thanks cashier 15 years younger than me, I totally asked your opinion telepathically.

"You can't buy beer while you're pregnant ma'am!!" Actually, person at the gas station I can buy beer for my husband all I want, I just can't drink it. Even though I'm apparently just a baby holder now, you aren't carding my fetus.

"Aren't you hiring a doula? Aren't you taking lamaze classes? If you don't hire a doula you won't relax properly and they'll have to give you a c-section or the baby will die and blarghlearglearrrrrr..." This is my fourth kid, I know how to push and breathe, a fact you would know if I'd told you but I didn't because it's none of your drat business!

Once Eowyn was born my stepdad followed me and my mom around (in a well-meaning manner) and kept telling us how we were holding her wrong, not supporting her neck right, going to give her colic by feeding her that way etc. My mother and I have raised 6 babies between us, he's never even held one before Eowyn. I've been bombarded like this for every pregnancy for 15 years now, I no longer feel irked by it, it's more like white hot passive rage. It burns. Maybe I should hire a doula to calm me.

haha these are totally the most stereotypical things you hear during pregnancy. I'm glad I heard none of it while I was pregnant with either kid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They always give me dirty looks when I buy wine for my husband even if he's with me.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bamthrilla posted:

We had it done. Get it done ASAP if it's a concern. Request a referral to an ENT from your ped. The procedure took about 5 minutes. Our son (who was 4 weeks at the time) was more upset with his head being held still than the actual snip. There is little to no bleeding and he nursed immediately afterwards. Keep in mind that it can also take up to 2 weeks for them to be able to fully extend their tongue properly.

Make sure they do it IN OFFICE. Whatever you do, do not let them try to convince you to put your baby to sleep to get it done. My first ENT referral tried to do this which was why it took us a little longer to find another because I said hell no.

This was exactly what happened with us and my son was very close to a "failure to thrive" diagnosis. He had plenty of wet diapers, as well, so it came as a huge shock when I found out he'd gained NOTHING his first 2 weeks out of the hospital.

Thanks for the advice, turns out it's a pretty mild case of heart shaped tongue that doesn't appear to actually be the issue, and she's just a really terrible/lazy nurser, but will bottlefeed no problem. Weight gain hasn't been an issue thankfully.

My wife has been pumping a ton and we've been supplementing when we need to. We have an appointment at a pediatric occupational therapist (which I initially thought was a joke, but apparently is an actual thing), so we can see what they can do.

First kid was super colicky, but I might actually take that over not nursing at this point. :)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Alterian posted:

They always give me dirty looks when I buy wine for my husband even if he's with me.

My husband kept begging me to try buying him a bottle of Crown Royal just to see what the reaction would be. I refused because if people were preaching over me buying beer, imagine the uproar over whisky!

I did dress up as a nun while pregnant with my eldest daughter for Halloween back in 1997 though. THAT was hilarious.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Maneki Neko posted:

Thanks for the advice, turns out it's a pretty mild case of heart shaped tongue that doesn't appear to actually be the issue, and she's just a really terrible/lazy nurser, but will bottlefeed no problem. Weight gain hasn't been an issue thankfully.

My wife has been pumping a ton and we've been supplementing when we need to. We have an appointment at a pediatric occupational therapist (which I initially thought was a joke, but apparently is an actual thing), so we can see what they can do.

First kid was super colicky, but I might actually take that over not nursing at this point. :)

She's probably a terrible nurser because the tongue tie is making it more difficult to latch on the breast than the bottle. The shape the mouth takes is totally different between the two and bottle feeding is much easier in that way. I hope you get some help soon, but I'd get that tie clipped if it were my kid.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
Holy poo poo am I glad I just look like a fat guy at 20 weeks.

It seems the list of what you can do while pregnant is longer than what you can do. I've just been taking a common sense approach to it: no tobacco or alcohol, heat lunchmeat to a safe temperature before you eat it, get someone else to scoop the cat box, assume that clothes fit just fine if they're still comfortable.

When should I have all my baby supplies by, and what is absolutely essential for the first few weeks? So far I have a crib, carseat, clothes (I have a lot of friends who have recently had kids, they were thrilled to offload some of the baby things), a donated jumper swing, and a friend has offered to get me a pack and play of my choice. We're planning to do breastfeeding so I was thinking I could get bottles for supplementing/pumping after the first month or so. Is the changing table/napper thing on pack and plays useful? We're in a small apartment so one piece of furniture that does multiple things is always a plus, but we're also looking at moving in April (one month post-baby, I'm not expecting to be much help on this move) to a place we can afford without a roommate, so the less that needs to be set up for the first few weeks, the better.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
When I was pregnant, a very good friend of ours' dad was in the process of dying of cancer. I got a call at 8am one morning to let us know that he had passed at home. I asked if I could do anything or bring anything and our friend asked me to bring over a carton of cigarettes and some liquor, because people kept showing up at the house and everyone was bringing food but he and his mom just wanted a drink. Let me tell you, there's nothing quite like being the pregnant lady at Costco, buying $200 worth of nothing but cigarettes and hard alcohol at opening time.

Daemoxx: I never used the little changing thing that came with our pack and play. I just changed him on the couch, the floor, or the bed, depending on where I happened to be when he needed a change. Eventually I got one of those pads that goes on a changing table and just put it on top of his dresser and used that as his changing table (it happened to be the right height for me).

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 25, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fionnoula posted:

When I was pregnant, a very good friend of ours' dad was in the process of dying of cancer. I got a call at 8am one morning to let us know that he had passed at home. I asked if I could do anything or bring anything and our friend asked me to bring over a carton of cigarettes and some liquor, because people kept showing up at the house and everyone was bringing food but he and his mom just wanted a drink. Let me tell you, there's nothing quite like being the pregnant lady at Costco, buying $200 worth of nothing but cigarettes and hard alcohol at opening time.

Hahaha, would have been awesome to secretly have someone video record the faces on people watching you.

Also, no spotting today, but holy hell I've been having little spurts of dizziness all day. It is crazy. Good thing my boss just told me to take the week off. I would have been so useless at work today.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Daemoxx, you sound like you're well ahead of the game as far as supplies! And congrats on hitting the 20-week mark.

As far as pack'n'play changing pads--we used our pack'n'play as our daughter's bassinet in our room for the first few months, until she was sitting up, and we did use the changing pad for (oh god so many) overnight changes. For us it was a great one-furniture-to-rule-them-all piece. It also had a container hanging off it that held the wipes, diapers, and burp cloths.

Do you have a Boppy or other nursing pillow? Those things are so good.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 21, 2017

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Lullabee posted:

So according to all the books/websites/emails - by 26 weeks you should've gained around 16-20 lbs. I'm still a week and 3 days from 26 weeks, but I'm no where near that weight. I lost 7 lbs in the first trimester and have gained back 6 of those as of yesterday. So, I'm still down a lb from prepregnancy weight. The doctor doesn't seem worried, but it seems like such a huge amount difference to me. Is it because I was/am fat and the baby's just eating off me? He was normal sized at 20 weeks and actually growing ahead of his due date. I'd ask the birth board, but every time I mention it, I get 'OMGYOU'RESOLUCKY!' and no actual help.

Also, the doc wasn't considered about the green nipples - he said since it went away, it was probably blood.

If you are/were overweight before you got pregnant, you won't (shouldn't) gain as much weight as someone who's "regular" weight before pregnancy.
I'm a big fatty, and while I haven't weighed myself since before I got pregnant, my clothes still fit me even if I'm at 28 weeks now.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

So according to all the books/websites/emails - by 26 weeks you should've gained around 16-20 lbs. I'm still a week and 3 days from 26 weeks, but I'm no where near that weight. I lost 7 lbs in the first trimester and have gained back 6 of those as of yesterday. So, I'm still down a lb from prepregnancy weight. The doctor doesn't seem worried, but it seems like such a huge amount difference to me. Is it because I was/am fat and the baby's just eating off me? He was normal sized at 20 weeks and actually growing ahead of his due date. I'd ask the birth board, but every time I mention it, I get 'OMGYOU'RESOLUCKY!' and no actual help.

Overweight people do need to gain less during pregnancy. If the baby is measuring fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Lullabee posted:

Also, the doc wasn't considered about the green nipples - he said since it went away, it was probably blood.

It depends on your start weight. I lost around 65 lbs during my last pregnancy. I went from a uk size 18 (short and fat) to a uk size 12 (normal sized but still short). My doctors never worried about it. I had to keep a food journal for other reasons (GD), so they knew what I was eating. Most of the weight loss happened after I had to change my diet per the doctors orders. (which would be from week 26 onwards). It is not that unusual to lose weight, especially if you are a big girl. I had a combination of diet change and loss of appetite which ment that I just kept shedding the pounds. If the doctor isn't worried then I'd try not to worry about it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Lullabee posted:

So according to all the books/websites/emails - by 26 weeks you should've gained around 16-20 lbs.,, I'm still a week and 3 days from 26 weeks, but I'm no where near that weight. I lost 7 lbs in the first trimester ... Is it because I was/am fat...

Depending on your "starting weight", the amount of weight you're "supposed" to gain can vary. If you're at a normal weight, they say you should gain between 15-30 lbs. If you're overweight, you're supposed to gain 0-15, and if you're really overweight you're not supposed to gain at all. I've seen skinny chicks gain 80lbs while pregnant, while I started out at 193 and gained 17lbs. (6 of those in the first 2 months... ) I'd say just eat healthy, and eat whatever you want, and don't worry about it at all as long as you and the baby are doing fine. I fretted about my weight in the first trimester, but I was ALWAYS HUNGRY. I ate more than my dad did.

If you're eating healthier than you did, and gently exercising now (or more than you did), you could be actually losing a bit of weight while the baby is gaining.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

If your doctor isn't worried about it and you're able to eat all right and take vitamins, then I wouldn't worry either. It's not that uncommon to lose weight in the first trimester, and if you're gaining it back that sounds good? In my totally non-medically-trained opinion? :shobon:

If you were overweight to begin with, 16-20 lbs sounds like a lot to gain by 26 weeks, honestly. From what I've seen, the guideline if you're overweight is a gain of 15-25 lbs total. (I'm just bringing it up since you mention fatness--I was overweight pre-pregnancy and have gained about ten pounds over that guideline. My doctor doesn't seem perturbed.)

e. Holy swarm of speedy responses, Batman!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

If your baby is growing fine and you're taking the proper supplements and eating right, I wouldn't worry.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 21, 2017

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

When I feel like depressing myself I look at this weight-gain tracker, which gives guidelines depending on whether you're underweight/average/overweight/obese: http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Lullabee posted:

I had really terrible morning sickness and lost around 15 pounds over my first and into my second trimester before I actually started to gain. My doctor was never worried.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Amykinz posted:

It doesn't matter WHAT color they are wearing, people will still get it wrong, and then act MORTIFIED that they did when they find out.

Christopher got called a girl by a few people today, despite wearing khakis and a blue and green sweater. Guess it's time for a haircut.

Ooooh, are we showing off nurseries?

Here's my vaguely Super-Mario inspired nursery that Christopher didn't sleep in until eight months old. The changing table got moved into our bedroom and hasn't been moved back yet.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Oh wow, that is awesome.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
That is gorgeous! Love the hell out of it!

At what point in the pregnancy do I need to actually go out and buy some baby things? I haven't got a thing yet. I've still got halfway to go, but I'm starting to get antsy about not having anything.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Whenever you feel like it. Worst case scenario, you pick up a pack of Pampers on the way home and baby can sleep in a laundry basket.

We did a shopping trip to the States (Oregon - no state taxes, and a lot of things were half the price than they were up here) two weeks before baby was born. Big items were shipped to the hotel by Amazon, and the rest we had fun shopping days. Also, people surprise you with random and unexpected awesome gifts sometimes, so it can be good to wait.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
At least wait until after the baby shower if you plan on having one.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Dandy Shrew posted:

That is gorgeous! Love the hell out of it!

At what point in the pregnancy do I need to actually go out and buy some baby things? I haven't got a thing yet. I've still got halfway to go, but I'm starting to get antsy about not having anything.

I'm 28 weeks, and only really started accumulating things in the past few weeks. I still haven't actually bought anything, people have just started giving me things their baby no longer needs. I'm not sure yet if anyone will throw me a baby shower, but either way I'll be waiting until after Christmas (less than 3 weeks until due date) before buying anything myself. I'm cheap as hell and prefer to reuse (besides things like car seats) rather than buy new in the first place, but if you enjoy shopping for baby things go ahead and start whenever you want.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also remember that for the first couple of months or so the baby isn't going to give a rat's patoot about toys or anything fancy. I see so many new moms buying high chairs, bumpos, 200 different outfits, jogging strollers, walking strollers, strolling strollers, and wipe warmers and it makes me want to shake them (gently!)

Your baby will need a place to sleep, a car seat, diapers, wipes, 10 or so onesies, some receiving blankets or swaddlers, 3 or four footies and one or two nice outfits for showing off or pictures. Don't freak out and buy a wardrobe so extensive that the baby will outgrow half of it before they get through them all, and don't worry about all the flashy battery-operated gewgaws and designer shoes and whatnot. Cover her or his tushie, wrap them up, and let them be.

You've got enough to worry about starting a college fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thank you for that post, Stairs! :glomp:

I'm having my first child, and I'm so stumped as to what I need to get, and what I really don't need.

I've figured out that I have to get a bed, stroller, car seat, changing table, diapers and cleaning stuff and some clothes before this kid pops out, anything else I'll just wait and see what I'll need.

(Also, not figuring out you're pregnant before you're almost 23 weeks along doesn't exactly do wonders for the stress levels. ;))