Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I get the impression that whether a car is "common" in the US depends a lot on geographic location, and Subarus aren't common in Michigan.

The Dodge Journey is the most utilitarian, and it has 3 rows, but it's really more of a minivan. It doesn't have a lot of ground clearance, comes with ridiculous wheels that are too large and are in some weird size that no one makes winter tires for. Prior to 2011 at least it doesn't drive particularly well and if you want AWD you have to get the 3.5l V6 that's old and doesn't have VVT and got mediocre fuel economy. The interior is definitely "utilitarian".

After 2011 they went to the new 3.6l V6 that got somewhat better fuel economy and a lot more power and also a nicer interior.

If you want more fuel economy an Equinox can be had with a 4 cyl and AWD and they're pretty good, albeit smaller vehicles. In the same vein also consider the 2011+ Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Whatever-the-Saturn-version-was-called for less than $19k with reasonable mileage, they are nice but kept their value pretty well for that reason, and they are *big* trucks so the fuel economy isn't that great.

Don't bother with the Forester. It's small, the interior sucks, the drivetrain and platform are outdated and they lag the competition in fuel economy and safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Okay goons, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for here but I want to ask anyway, because AI collectively knows more about cars than I do.

I work for a newspaper as a district sales manager, and that means that I have to run a route occasionally for whatever reason. I have a lot of dirt roads in my district and I am tiring of taking my lowered E30 out there and tearing it up.

I'm looking for something getting at least 20mpg, good ground clearance, excellent reliability, and preferably manual, with flat stack rear seats for cargo space and newspaper stacking. It also needs to be able to just sit for awhile if I don't have to run any down routes.

I've been looking at the 4.0L I6 Jeep Cherokees as a starting point because I hear those motors are legendary for their durability, and the postal service uses them for their rural carriers. Anything I should watch out for? Any other vehicles I should take into consideration? I'm looking to spend ~$5k, but if that's not going to cut it I'll have to spend more, because in the long run replacing the control arms, undercoat, and oil pans on the E30 every 6 months is going to cost more than another 2-3 thousand on a dedicated delivery vehicle.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

cchhrriiss1982,

The 3rd row on a Journey is for little kids only, and from what I saw when a buddy had one as a rental vehicle there was no storage at all with the 3rd row in use. Honestly I can't really recommend a Journey to anyone.

Something else to consider... A Ford Escape. They can be had in 4WD, the fuel mileage on our 2009 wasn't bad. About 20 city/28 highway with a solid 22mpg mixed on the 4cyl. The V6 seems to get 17/24. The 2013 changed body styles so the previous gen may be taking a hit in the resale department. We had one, and it was a pretty decent little SUV and we only got rid of it because we wanted something bigger (bought a 2012 Ford Explorer). Looking at the local autotrader you should be able to find a 2009 4WD XLT in your price range.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

cchhrriiss1982,

The 3rd row on a Journey is for little kids only, and from what I saw when a buddy had one as a rental vehicle there was no storage at all with the 3rd row in use. Honestly I can't really recommend a Journey to anyone.

That's basically true for anything short of a minivan. The Journey is only slightly larger than most of the other "Midsize" poo poo but can be optioned with a 3rd row, for the same price when new as the other stuff that only has 2 rows, actually the price for the 2008 stuff would have been much cheaper because of the bankruptcy. The room is about the same as you would get on a Suburban or Expedition, because unibody vehicles are much more space efficient than BOF trucks and the third row doesn't have to be sitting on frame rails.

When the third row is folded the cargo space is huge, that's mostly how we use it and what cchhrriiss1982 says he is using it for as well, if you need to carry 7 adults all the time then you need a minivan.

The Journey is also available as a 2 row as well, it's not a great car for many reasons but as far as space and practicality goes it's the best on the market.

quote:

Something else to consider... A Ford Escape. They can be had in 4WD, the fuel mileage on our 2009 wasn't bad. About 20 city/28 highway with a solid 22mpg mixed on the 4cyl. The V6 seems to get 17/24. The 2013 changed body styles so the previous gen may be taking a hit in the resale department. We had one, and it was a pretty decent little SUV and we only got rid of it because we wanted something bigger (bought a 2012 Ford Explorer). Looking at the local autotrader you should be able to find a 2009 4WD XLT in your price range.

Do you like your children? The old Escape is an ancient Mazda 626 that has awful crash safety compared to anything actually modern and a host of mechanical and built quality issues I posted about earlier. They are cheap on the used market because like the Ranger all the tooling was paid for 10 years ago and Ford could afford to push them out with huge incentives until the new Escape came online.

EDIT: It's hilarious that all these AI people swear up and down they won't ever buy a Chinese car because of crash safety, and then Americans buy 100,000 Ford Escapes and Nissan Versas every year because hey they got a great price.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 25, 2012

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Unless China has improved massively since stuff like this popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9YbDCvrBBk
versus the crappy older Ford Escape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-VBO4O55A

Then I think Americans still have a good reason to say no. Does any US car crash like that Chinese one at 40 mph? Until Americans can do good brand distinguishing for Chinese automakers, I'd go with the precautionary attitude myself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Claverjoe posted:

Does any US car crash like that Chinese one at 40 mph?

Not any recent ones. But it wasn't so long ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBMMffpGOo&t=12s

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

The Escape/Tribute have horrible automatic transmissions and should be avoided at all costs unless you can get a manual version which are difficult to find.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

Not any recent ones. But it wasn't so long ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBMMffpGOo&t=12s

Wow, that's nasty. But I think my point of Americans being unable to recognize good Chinese brands still stands.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Claverjoe posted:

Wow, that's nasty. But I think my point of Americans being unable to recognize good Chinese brands still stands.

No, I'm pretty sure we all recognize Volvo's safety reputation. :smugdog:

But seriously, other than Volvo (and they're no more a Chinese company now than they were an American company when Ford owned them), what Chinese cars are exported? What is there to "recognize"?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 25, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can't buy a chinese car in america because they wouldn't pass the rigorous american crash test standards, so it's a totally moot point.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Splizwarf posted:

No, I'm pretty sure we all recognize Volvo's safety reputation. :smugdog:

But seriously, other than Volvo (and they're no more a Chinese company now than they were an American company when Ford owned them), what Chinese cars are exported? What is there to "recognize"?

Oh, it is currently a moot point since I don't think any Chinese cars are exported to the U.S., but I was addressing Throatwarbler's post. Even if Chinese cars were exported to U.S. markets (and pass safety standards), there would be a very weak reception since there is no brand recognition. I mean, nuts, it took Japanese car companies a while to gain significant market share back in the day.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Bovril Delight posted:

Volvo V70 AWD.

The V70 AWD or XC70 is a vehicle that escaped my search somehow, but I love the way it looks. I'll have to check out some forums to get some ideas of what current owners think of them.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'd take a good hard look at a Forester. Manual transmissions aren't too hard to come by, plus they've got tons more ground clearance than the Magnum which will help a lot in mud and snow. Gas mileage isn't great, but you'll definitely get better than you are with the Jimmy now. You could get an Outback instead, which would get you better gas mileage if you go for the four-cylinder engine, but they're probably a little more expensive. Both of these are very common, so parts will be easy to come by.

I like the Forester, and I think I would take it over an Outback. I'm not sure about the reliability of the turbo 2.5 though, and the n/a 2.5 seems like it would be underpowered. Of course I would have to find one to test drive to know for sure.

Throatwarbler posted:

I get the impression that whether a car is "common" in the US depends a lot on geographic location, and Subarus aren't common in Michigan.

The Dodge Journey is the most utilitarian, and it has 3 rows, but it's really more of a minivan. It doesn't have a lot of ground clearance, comes with ridiculous wheels that are too large and are in some weird size that no one makes winter tires for. Prior to 2011 at least it doesn't drive particularly well and if you want AWD you have to get the 3.5l V6 that's old and doesn't have VVT and got mediocre fuel economy. The interior is definitely "utilitarian".

After 2011 they went to the new 3.6l V6 that got somewhat better fuel economy and a lot more power and also a nicer interior.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I would only consider a 2011 Journey after comparing my in-law's 2008 and 2012, they are completely different vehicles. They also got the one with no 3rd row which instead has a really nice hidden storage compartment where the 3rd row would normally fold into.

quote:

If you want more fuel economy an Equinox can be had with a 4 cyl and AWD and they're pretty good, albeit smaller vehicles. In the same vein also consider the 2011+ Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon.

29 Highway is really impressive for 4WD but how sluggish is that 4 cylinder? I guess it couldn't be any slower or smaller than a '99 Jimmy.

quote:

I'm not sure you'll be able to get a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Whatever-the-Saturn-version-was-called for less than $19k with reasonable mileage, they are nice but kept their value pretty well for that reason, and they are *big* trucks so the fuel economy isn't that great.

The fuel economy for the Traverse family is 16/23 and my driving habits usually put me near highway fuel economy numbers, so that part wouldn't be bad. Like the 2011 Journey's, they seem to be just now getting into the 18,000's (not Enclaves though)

quote:

Don't bother with the Forester. It's small, the interior sucks, the drivetrain and platform are outdated and they lag the competition in fuel economy and safety.

This interests me because I thought the forester was similar in size to my current Jimmy or a new Equinox and got good fuel economy (19/24 for the turbo)

I appreciate all of the help, thoughts and suggestions from everyone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

The V70 AWD or XC70 is a vehicle that escaped my search somehow, but I love the way it looks. I'll have to check out some forums to get some ideas of what current owners think of them.

Consider our very own Volvo Megathread.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Throatwarbler posted:

Do you like your children? The old Escape is an ancient Mazda 626 that has awful crash safety compared to anything actually modern and a host of mechanical and built quality issues I posted about earlier. They are cheap on the used market because like the Ranger all the tooling was paid for 10 years ago and Ford could afford to push them out with huge incentives until the new Escape came online.

EDIT: It's hilarious that all these AI people swear up and down they won't ever buy a Chinese car because of crash safety, and then Americans buy 100,000 Ford Escapes and Nissan Versas every year because hey they got a great price.

I know the NHTSA changed the safety ratings system for all post-2011 models, but the old crash test ratings for the Escape weren't that bad.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Proposed Budget: 10k or less unless there's a really compelling reason
New or Used: used unless there's a really compelling reason
Body Style: I adore the eco-car look. Smaller is better.
What aspects are most important to you? Explanation follows, but basically eco-friendly/high gas mileage

Basically, I need a car to get me to the train station a couple of miles away and back, with some weekend use. Since train tickets are surprisingly expensive where I live, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a car on top of that. As such I'd like to keep it under $10k if possible unless I could stretch it for a compelling reason.

I don't even really want to own a car unless it's electric, except the dang things are like $30k and you need to own a house to install the charging station, also none of them are used yet. Plug-in hybrids are in the same boat. I want something with very high fuel efficiency and am willing to even pay extra for it (note that this is more out of ideology than practicality) but it's more important to me that the car is used due to that having a much lighter impact on both the environment and my wallet.

My partner has a hatchback with enough cargo room, so 2 seats and no cargo space is fine (and I'd quite prefer it.)

I can drive stick.

What I've been looking at is a Smart car, but I'm in the US and we don't get the good diesel ones with high fuel efficiency here :( I'm considering getting one for the asthetic anyway, but I am incapable of making major life decisions without consulting goons first I would like to hear if anyone has any better ideas I can look into.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I still haven't bought a car and am checking out some more on the weekend. Two more options have cropped up, of the turbocharged four cylinder variety.

1) 2008 Mini S. Auto, paddle shifters (sport package). 109k (km) on the body; engine replaced at 63k. Comes with extra winter tires on wheels. Buyer is asking $17.5k CDN. I've been in Minis before and they're comfortable enough, I just haven't done any driving and am not sure if I could tolerate one for 3 hours a day. The downtown driving and parking would be godlike though.

2) 2007 Forester XT. Auto. 160k. $12k. A sleeper that I hadn't really considered before, it's also fast and fun and ultimately more practical. I do have to haul around friends and hiking and airsoft gear from time to time, so here it's a clear winner. Nice platform for performance/appearance mods (I love the look of a lowered small SUV, and could bolt on some STI parts). Cheap enough that I could put money aside for a summer car. Somewhat concerned about the mileage on this one.

And to update on my post a couple pages ago about buying a fun beater: there was nothing in my "buy instantly with cash" price range that was really worth it, and a stick got old reeeeally fast in traffic. Especially the sort of hell I get stuck in. It's gotta be auto for my DD.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Looking for a bit of advice on the following situation:

I recently accepted a job in Washington DC and as a result I will no longer need my 2010 Toyota Prius.

I am financing it through Toyota and have approximately $15,000 left to pay on it.

It's well maintained and I have had absolutely no issues/problems with it. I currently have about 36 months of payments left on it at 0.00% interest.

The issue is that my fiancee will be joining me in DC in March 2013. She will need a vehicle to get to/from work in the surrounding suburbs.

She currently has a 2007 Toyota Corolla. It's completely paid off and has no issues/problems. Approximately 100,000 miles on it.

We both much prefer driving the Prius, but realize it'd be an added expense to keep up with. Prius gets approximately 50 mpg and the Corolla 35 mpg so both are relatively economical. As she'll be driving the most our top concerns are comfort and safety.

At the moment we're considering getting rid of the Prius and keeping the Corolla. Does anyone have any disagreement with this idea?

As far as getting rid of the Prius, what's generally the easiest approach? Going to a dealership and letting them take it over? What's that process like and what should I expect? I owe less on the car than its current estimated value.

Co-workers suggested making a tiny profit by trying to sell it privately on eBay or Craigslist. How do I go about doing that if I don't outright own the car and am financing it?

Thanks in advance!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Thewittyname posted:

I know the NHTSA changed the safety ratings system for all post-2011 models, but the old crash test ratings for the Escape weren't that bad.

Yes? So you can clearly see why the old system was obsolete, the Escape didn't change substantially from 2010 to 2011 and went from a 5 star rating to a 3 star rating. THe Subaru Forester went down to 4 stars frontal, 3 stars side impact in 2011, although they made some changes to bring the side impact up to 4 stars later. That's why I hdon't recommend them. By comparison all the GM products and the Kia get full 5 star ratings. The Journey gets 4 frontal 5 side impact.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

renzor posted:

I was driving about 25 a year for the first 3 years and went up to just over 40k last year. I was filling up once every 5-7 days, getting around 400 when I stuck to the city and 550-600 when the majority of it was highway driving.

Now that I'm back in school I imagine I'll put MAYBE 10k a year on my car, with 7 of that coming during the summer for weekend getaways. My method of thinking is why sit on a 15k car for the next several years that will not get used when I can get a much cheaper car and put that extra money elsewhere where it won't depreciate. I realize an older, cheaper car will also depreciate but obviously not by the same amount.

It's probably not a sound decision since you'll also increase repair and maintenance costs on an older, lower-depreciation vehicle. I'd personally prefer to keep the relatively new GTI, especially with reduced vehicle miles traveled reducing your fuel penalty. You've maintained the car, you know what you've done and what issues have arisen. In "several" years you'll probably end up with your GTI being worth about five grand, depending on mileage and condition. I'm not sure you do better, cost-wise, trading down to a TDI Mk IV, which weren't the most spectacularly reliable vehicles in the first place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

What aspects are most important to you? Explanation follows, but basically eco-friendly/high gas mileage

Basically, I need a car to get me to the train station a couple of miles away and back, with some weekend use. Since train tickets are surprisingly expensive where I live, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a car on top of that. As such I'd like to keep it under $10k if possible unless I could stretch it for a compelling reason.

I don't even really want to own a car unless it's electric, except the dang things are like $30k and you need to own a house to install the charging station, also none of them are used yet. Plug-in hybrids are in the same boat. I want something with very high fuel efficiency and am willing to even pay extra for it (note that this is more out of ideology than practicality) but it's more important to me that the car is used due to that having a much lighter impact on both the environment and my wallet.

My partner has a hatchback with enough cargo room, so 2 seats and no cargo space is fine (and I'd quite prefer it.)

I can drive stick.

What I've been looking at is a Smart car, but I'm in the US and we don't get the good diesel ones with high fuel efficiency here :( I'm considering getting one for the asthetic anyway, but I am incapable of making major life decisions without consulting goons first I would like to hear if anyone has any better ideas I can look into.

Used Honda Insight. Do Not Buy A Gasoline Smart Fortwo.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

I can drive stick.

How far is the weekend use? Is a scooter or a motorcycle practical for your needs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tortilla Maker posted:

Looking for a bit of advice on the following situation:

I recently accepted a job in Washington DC and as a result I will no longer need my 2010 Toyota Prius.

I am financing it through Toyota and have approximately $15,000 left to pay on it.

It's well maintained and I have had absolutely no issues/problems with it. I currently have about 36 months of payments left on it at 0.00% interest.

The issue is that my fiancee will be joining me in DC in March 2013. She will need a vehicle to get to/from work in the surrounding suburbs.

She currently has a 2007 Toyota Corolla. It's completely paid off and has no issues/problems. Approximately 100,000 miles on it.

We both much prefer driving the Prius, but realize it'd be an added expense to keep up with. Prius gets approximately 50 mpg and the Corolla 35 mpg so both are relatively economical. As she'll be driving the most our top concerns are comfort and safety.

At the moment we're considering getting rid of the Prius and keeping the Corolla. Does anyone have any disagreement with this idea?

As far as getting rid of the Prius, what's generally the easiest approach? Going to a dealership and letting them take it over? What's that process like and what should I expect? I owe less on the car than its current estimated value.

Co-workers suggested making a tiny profit by trying to sell it privately on eBay or Craigslist. How do I go about doing that if I don't outright own the car and am financing it?

Thanks in advance!

How much driving will your fiancee do? Will you be parking street or offstreet?

If you plan to be doing quite a bit of driving (15k+ a year), I would flip the paid-off Corolla, give the Prius to your fiancee right now. A Corolla LE in decent condition from that year with 100k is worth like 6-7 grand. That allows you to pay off the Prius a lot earlier, or at 0%, invest the money. I might actually do this anyway, with one caveat. If you will be parking on-street, keep the Corolla. You'll be able to inevitably trash the exterior and not give a poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

I don't know if those are really within your budget, and Volvos are not reliable cars the the rest of the stuff here.

quote:

I like the Forester, and I think I would take it over an Outback. I'm not sure about the reliability of the turbo 2.5 though, and the n/a 2.5 seems like it would be underpowered. Of course I would have to find one to test drive to know for sure.

here's a big screed I posted about why Subarus suck and people who have Subarus should all kill themselves.

quote:

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I would only consider a 2011 Journey after comparing my in-law's 2008 and 2012, they are completely different vehicles. They also got the one with no 3rd row which instead has a really nice hidden storage compartment where the 3rd row would normally fold into.

I haven't looked too closely at a 2011+ model yet but boy for the 2010s you could really tell why it was cheap. Panel gaps that I could fit my hand through everywhere, 2 months into ownership the rear bumper started buckling and looked like it was going to fall off, I took it into the dealer who pulled it apart and the rear bumper was held on by a zip tie looped around a screw that had been screwed crookedly into the bare metal unibody. We pushed the bumper back in and put on a new ziptie because the old one was stretching from how ill fitted everything was. There were like 6 other Journeys in the shop that were all like that so the dealer said that was normal. :911:

quote:

29 Highway is really impressive for 4WD but how sluggish is that 4 cylinder? I guess it couldn't be any slower or smaller than a '99 Jimmy.

Pretty slow.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seconding this. Fortwos are genuinely awful cars - you're probably better off with a bicycle.

http://www.edmunds.com/smart/fortwo/2012/

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Beach Bum posted:

Okay goons, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for here but I want to ask anyway, because AI collectively knows more about cars than I do.

I work for a newspaper as a district sales manager, and that means that I have to run a route occasionally for whatever reason. I have a lot of dirt roads in my district and I am tiring of taking my lowered E30 out there and tearing it up.

I'm looking for something getting at least 20mpg, good ground clearance, excellent reliability, and preferably manual, with flat stack rear seats for cargo space and newspaper stacking. It also needs to be able to just sit for awhile if I don't have to run any down routes.

I've been looking at the 4.0L I6 Jeep Cherokees as a starting point because I hear those motors are legendary for their durability, and the postal service uses them for their rural carriers. Anything I should watch out for? Any other vehicles I should take into consideration? I'm looking to spend ~$5k, but if that's not going to cut it I'll have to spend more, because in the long run replacing the control arms, undercoat, and oil pans on the E30 every 6 months is going to cost more than another 2-3 thousand on a dedicated delivery vehicle.

A Jeep Cherokee will not get 20mpg. The I6 is a good engine but the rest of Cherokee build quality can be pretty iffy.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Claverjoe posted:

How far is the weekend use? Is a scooter or a motorcycle practical for your needs?

I'd just like to second that this option is worth at least exploring. If you can get over the stigma (though it seems to be declining) of a scooter, it sounds almost exactly like what you need.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The new insight. The old 2-door insights, particularly the manuals, have some pretty notable battery issues. So do civics. Honestly, given honda's track record, I'd just get a prius.
A second gen prius is a $10k car these days. A better hybrid system and honestly a better car.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Beach Bum posted:

I had a beater 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4wd with the 4.0L I6 and I got 14 mpg. As a dumb teenager I drove it hard and the only problems I had were a coolant leak from the head gasket that progressively got worse until the day I traded it in as a down payment on a lease of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4wd with the 4.0L I6. I put about 20,000 miles on it in 2 years and averaged 15 mpg, and no mechanical problems. So, all I can confirm is your mileage will be crap.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nm posted:

The new insight. The old 2-door insights, particularly the manuals, have some pretty notable battery issues. So do civics. Honestly, given honda's track record, I'd just get a prius.
A second gen prius is a $10k car these days. A better hybrid system and honestly a better car.

Dang no wonder this one is so cheap :( http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Honda-Insight-Los-Angeles-d591_L2163#listing=44417252

That's too bad because I really like the style of the older ones.

Also I have to go pretty early and am a huge baby about having cold wind blowing on me within an hour of waking up, so I'd pretty much hate a scooter even though it'd make sense. Plus I'd really like to have the ability to go visit someone and drive them around sometimes.

Edit: Looking at the battery issues it sounds like there are solutions that either I would have fun fixing myself and/or my partner would have access to a bunch of charging equipment so this may just be an option.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 26, 2012

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent
I hope this is kosher, I'm looking for advice about a car I'm considering purchasing instead of what car I can buy... Currently, I'm looking at a 2007 Kia Optima (called Magentis in Canada back then) EX. It has the 2.4L l4 engine with 85,000 km (52,817 miles) on it. Leather seats, cruise control, sunroof, the works. For $8,995. I'm not too sure about the price, considering the trim level. Assuming it's mechanically sound, which I'll be checking out with my brother (a mechanic) this weekend when I go to give it a test drive, does the price sound right? I'm guessing a Kia doesn't hold its value as well as other makes, which would account for its lower-than-expected price?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cythrelo posted:

I hope this is kosher, I'm looking for advice about a car I'm considering purchasing instead of what car I can buy... Currently, I'm looking at a 2007 Kia Optima (called Magentis in Canada back then) EX. It has the 2.4L l4 engine with 85,000 km (52,817 miles) on it. Leather seats, cruise control, sunroof, the works. For $8,995. I'm not too sure about the price, considering the trim level. Assuming it's mechanically sound, which I'll be checking out with my brother (a mechanic) this weekend when I go to give it a test drive, does the price sound right? I'm guessing a Kia doesn't hold its value as well as other makes, which would account for its lower-than-expected price?

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/07kimais.html

It's about what you would expect the price to be. Try to haggle them down to the wholesale value.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/07kimais.html

It's about what you would expect the price to be. Try to haggle them down to the wholesale value.
Thanks! With the options and mileage it has, the wholesale value comes out to 8950$, which is just 45 bucks lower than the asking price. Sounds exactly right!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Tired of spending money on my now 13? y/o first car. Looking to get an SUV.

Proposed Budget: <22k
New or Used: N/A
Body Style: 4 Door SUV
How will you be using the car?: Commuter Vehicle and Towing
What aspects are most important to you? "Console/Sound System" (e.g. like Ford MyTouch Sync or w/e), Reliability, MPG

As of this very instant and the foreseeable future (next 6 months) it would be used only as a commuter vehicle and I'd use the hitch to carry bikes on. Gas being ridiculous I'd say that good MPG is second on my 'must have' list, after a hitch. I'd also like to use it in the future for hauling things like jetski's and a camper. Ideally sometime in near'ish future I'll be moving someplace cool and outdoorsy (Colorado?), so take that in mind (though I realize I'm not there now and I shouldn't buy a vehicle based on what I MIGHT do, hence why it's just a "if it fits"). I'm also a huge geek so I like having all the bells and whistles as far as the console is concerned though I guess this isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary.

My question is how much power is necessary to tow various things? I don't need to be able to pull a house, I'd think at the largest sometime in the future would be a boat or camper. Basically I want to know if I can get away with the good MPG of a less powerful engine and still tow what I need.

To give you an example of what I like, I've been eyeballing the 2013 Ford Escape, but it's out of my price range I'm thinking.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Thanks for all the help in this thread. It's been 10 months in the making, but tonight the gf and I just signed a contract for a factory Prius V after getting the dealer down to 2% profit over invoice and 0.9% financing.

For Canadians, I highly recommend checking out redflagdeals.ca as well. Very helpful forum to lurk around for info.

I also used the services of the automotive protection agency to get the invoice pricing and start my negotiations from there. Other sites you can get invoice pricing from are unhaggle.ca and carcostcanada.ca.

Of the three, I recommend automotive protection agency. Although it's the most expensive, they are non-profit and do good work to keep the automotive industry in Canada honest.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
e: .

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 17, 2012

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
My wife just finished residency, and in the next year or so I'll be getting a real job as well. We're presently using two Civics, one 2005, one 2008. My wife wants to give the 2005 car to her brother, and upgrade to something nicer. We have a 1.5 year old, and will probably get a second in a year or two.

Proposed Budget: < 30? 35?
New or Used: We've had good results with certified used, so if that's an option we'd be interested.
Body Style: 4 Door sedan
How will you be using the car?: Commuter Vehicle
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG. Neither of us is a car person at all, and we mostly just want something that gets us from a to b without worries and with a bit more room than our civics. I get all the servicing done at the dealership.

I suspect that 5 years ago I'd have bought an Accord, no questions asked. Now I'm not sure about much save that the options are much more extensive. I don't like the Korean options for weird political reasons, but aside from that I am open to suggestions.

Velius fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 29, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The new Accord is quite good. Also Ford Fusion.

If you really want MPG, Prius V, Fusion Hybrid or VW Passat TDI.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Velius posted:

I suspect that 5 years ago I'd have bought an Accord, no questions asked. Now I'm not sure about much save that the options are much more extensive. I don't like the Korean options for weird political reasons, but aside from that I am open to suggestions.

You might want to take a look at these two lists to just get some rough ideas as to what you want, as your price range gives you a gigantic number of options. It's from US News, but they roughly track the thread consensus anyway. :)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/grid/overall/
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-Cars/grid/overall/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Tired of spending money on my now 13? y/o first car. Looking to get an SUV.

Unless you're going to be towing a lot - I would seriously consider just getting a second vehicle solely for the purpose of towing. Your requirements practically scream Prius, and the fuel you'd save in a Prius versus driving a tow vehicle every day would probably be enough to pick up a cheap fullsize truck where the fuel mileage will be poo poo but the towing ability will be far better than anything you actually want to commute in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Agronox posted:

You might want to take a look at these two lists to just get some rough ideas as to what you want, as your price range gives you a gigantic number of options. It's from US News, but they roughly track the thread consensus anyway. :)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/grid/overall/
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-Cars/grid/overall/

Thank you for the suggestion, I should probably have gone there on my own initiative, but I'm pretty new to the process. I'm probably going to look into the Fusion/Fusion Hybrid, Accord, Camry Hybrid, and Prius initially. Thanks!