Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Tremors posted:

One of us, one of us... If you're looking for a simple case, I suggest one of these. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...axy+nexus&ajr=0

No, I don't have a problem :shepface:

Perfect! I ordered an otterbox defender for mine that should be here tomorrow, but my wife hates them. She liked the ones you posted so we just ordered her one. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tremors posted:

One of us, one of us... If you're looking for a simple case, I suggest one of these. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...axy+nexus&ajr=0

No, I don't have a problem :shepface:

This, but with Diztronic and other brands.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

I don't think I'm going to case my gnex... I grabbed one of those pogo pin charging docks and the thing is so loving slick.

Where at and how much? A dock would be nice for around my computer instead of a micro USB cable

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a couple at the Google store if you scroll down on this page, but the one with the Pogo Pins seems to be sold out.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

gariig posted:

Where at and how much? A dock would be nice for around my computer instead of a micro USB cable

I grabbed this one, which seems to be the same one that is sold out in the Google Store.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/samsung-google-galaxy-nexus-desk-stand-226695/

The website I never heard of before, but some XDA guys reported reasonable results, so I took a chance. They never gave me a shipping tracking number, but the thing showed up quickly, so I can't really complain.

It only does charging through the pogo pins, not data, so it wouldn't work if you're trying to connect your phone to your PC.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
As much as I loathe Verizon for being massively overpriced with questionable customer service and utilizing CDMA (which fucks a lot of poo poo up), I'm glad they're getting into the prepaid game. Bringing their service cost down from the clouds is a positive move and signals that MNVOS are gaining traction in the states.

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

gariig posted:

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078VTQ2M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It's much cheaper than the Samsung ones, and it charges your spare battery at the same time.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

shookwell posted:

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078VTQ2M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It's much cheaper than the Samsung ones, and it charges your spare battery at the same time.

Nice, thanks. I added it to my wish list!

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

MC Hawking posted:

As much as I loathe Verizon for being massively overpriced with questionable customer service and utilizing CDMA (which fucks a lot of poo poo up), I'm glad they're getting into the prepaid game. Bringing their service cost down from the clouds is a positive move and signals that MNVOS are gaining traction in the states.

I've been on pageplus (VZW MVNO) now for a couple of years and have almost no complaints about phone or customer service. I will never go back to postpaid and will need a very good reason to move from them. But more competition in the Verizon MVNO game will be very good for people like me.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I got the Nextivity in the mail the other day. It does NOT work with 2G, which is all I can get in my house. Bummer. I took it over to my parents where I can get spotty 3G just to try it out and I got full bars everywhere with the device active. Since I can't use it, I will have to seek out other options and am selling the Nextivity. You have to have at LEAST 1 bar of 3G for this to work and it does work with prepaid plans. I have it for sale over in SA if anyone is interested. I paid 195+ shipping, but I just want to recoup most of what I spent so I am asking 170 shipped.

link to SA thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514057

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since the LG Nexus 4 won't come to Sprint any time soon, I was wondering exactly how Straight Talk GSM works. I've been to their site but I wouldn't know what's CDMA and what isn't.

Are there some caveats I should be aware of?

I'm currently a Sprint customer and I'd like to keep my number as it's thoroughly tied to Google Voice and I like using Voice to be able to text from my computer. Will this type of integration be possible with Straight Talk?

How about Google Wallet, does that work pretty well? I don't use Wallet much, but I'd like to use it if I have the chance.

For data, is it actually "unlimited" at the $45/mo plan or is there a catch? Looking at my current month on Sprint, I'm using 128,146KB of data as I mostly spend my time on wifi. I've heard ST is really REALLY strict with their data, would this be a problem for me?

I tend to use Google Music at times when I'm out and about. Would this be a problem on Straight Talk? How about YouTube or Skype?

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
Any idea when Virgin USA will get the iPhone 5? It was rumored to come out early October but it's nowhere and Virgin doesn't want to comment on it. It's out in Canada and Australia as far as I can tell but nothing in good ole USA. I was just gonna get the 4s but Don't want to drop $650 if the 5 is gonna come out very soon for the same price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Since the LG Nexus 4 won't come to Sprint any time soon, I was wondering exactly how Straight Talk GSM works. I've been to their site but I wouldn't know what's CDMA and what isn't.

Are there some caveats I should be aware of?

I'm currently a Sprint customer and I'd like to keep my number as it's thoroughly tied to Google Voice and I like using Voice to be able to text from my computer. Will this type of integration be possible with Straight Talk?

How about Google Wallet, does that work pretty well? I don't use Wallet much, but I'd like to use it if I have the chance.

For data, is it actually "unlimited" at the $45/mo plan or is there a catch? Looking at my current month on Sprint, I'm using 128,146KB of data as I mostly spend my time on wifi. I've heard ST is really REALLY strict with their data, would this be a problem for me?

I tend to use Google Music at times when I'm out and about. Would this be a problem on Straight Talk? How about YouTube or Skype?

1) Straight Talk GSM, you choose whether you want the AT&T or the T-Mobile SIM from them. It's the same price, so choose the one with better service in your area. (Though if you have good T-Mobile service, get the much better T-Mo $30 plan)

2) You can port your number to Straight Talk. Unlike most ports, you have to do it after you receive their sim but before you activate the account. There's instructions on the site. If it is critical that you keep your number forever, port it to Google Voice instead of Straight Talk.

3) A quick Google of Wallet for Straight Talk suggests it works fine for some people and not others, so I wouldn't bank on it.

4) The data is not unlimited on the $45 plan. They will cock-slap you if you go over 2gb or try to stream music or netflix for any substantial amount of time. They're infamous for cancelling accounts without warning if you go overboard (and with it, your number, so see #2). If you don't stream music or video and stick to just apps and browsing, it should be really hard to go over the 2gb.

Hoppin Tin posted:

Any idea when Virgin USA will get the iPhone 5? It was rumored to come out early October but it's nowhere and Virgin doesn't want to comment on it. It's out in Canada and Australia as far as I can tell but nothing in good ole USA. I was just gonna get the 4s but Don't want to drop $650 if the 5 is gonna come out very soon for the same price.

They are like this with all phone announcements. You have to just wait like everyone else until they post on twitter about it, or the phone just magically appears on the site.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am confused by the Nexus 4 infodump

quote:

Even though its New York event was pushed off track by Hurricane Sandy, just as expected, Google announced the fourth-generation Nexus smartphone today. An unlocked device, the LG Nexus 4 will arrive in the Google Play online store on November 13 starting at $299 (8GB). Significantly, the Nexus 4 represents a real opportunity for LG to take some clout away from arch rival Samsung, maker of the previous few Nexus devices. One flaw though is the Nexus 4's lack of fast 4G LTE but that likely won't matter to die-hard Android users who crave the swift upgrade path for Google Nexus products.

Google will also sell an unlocked 16GB model for $349, while T-Mobile will offer its own 16GB version for $199 on November 14.

So an unlocked 8gb N4 is $300 and an 16gb is $350 direct from Google correct? I am assuming the 16gb Tmo for $199 is on contract?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

I am confused by the Nexus 4 infodump

So an unlocked 8gb N4 is $300 and an 16gb is $350 direct from Google correct? I am assuming the 16gb Tmo for $199 is on contract?

Yes, yes, and probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Yes, yes, and probably.

Okay cool. I was thinking of switching to a WP8 but I am underwhelmed after the release event. Gonna stick with Android for now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Yes, and just to be clear, if you buy the off-contract 16gb for $350, you can put it on T-Mobile's Bring-Your-Own-Phone Value contract. That Unlimited Voice/Text/4G plan is $69 a month and is identical to the normal $89 a month subsidized-phone plan.

In other words if anyone actually gets the T-Mobile LG Nexus, they are saving $150 up-front to pay an extra $480 over two years *at best*. This is without even mentioning their prepaid offerings.

I would hope the $200 T-Mo version comes with the salesperson punching you in the face, because you'd deserve it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, and just to be clear, if you buy the off-contract 16gb for $350, you can put it on T-Mobile's Bring-Your-Own-Phone Value contract. That Unlimited Voice/Text/4G plan is $69 a month and is identical to the normal $89 a month subsidized-phone plan.

In other words if anyone actually gets the T-Mobile LG Nexus, they are saving $150 up-front to pay an extra $480 over two years *at best*. This is without even mentioning their prepaid offerings.

I would hope the $200 T-Mo version comes with the salesperson punching you in the face, because you'd deserve it.

I will go ahead and mention it: its an even better deal if you don't use a lot of minutes and do the T-Mo $30 unlimited data prepaid plan.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

plester1 posted:

I will go ahead and mention it: its an even better deal if you don't use a lot of minutes and do the T-Mo $30 unlimited data prepaid plan.

I am thinking about doing exactly this with the Nexus 4 once it comes out. This will be my first smartphone! Can any goons in the great lakes region (Indiana specifically) vouch for the coverage of T-Mo prepaid? I'm on verizon right now and the coverage is excellent but I'm tired of overpaying for contract plans.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

1) Straight Talk GSM, you choose whether you want the AT&T or the T-Mobile SIM from them. It's the same price, so choose the one with better service in your area. (Though if you have good T-Mobile service, get the much better T-Mo $30 plan)

2) You can port your number to Straight Talk. Unlike most ports, you have to do it after you receive their sim but before you activate the account. There's instructions on the site. If it is critical that you keep your number forever, port it to Google Voice instead of Straight Talk.

3) A quick Google of Wallet for Straight Talk suggests it works fine for some people and not others, so I wouldn't bank on it.

4) The data is not unlimited on the $45 plan. They will cock-slap you if you go over 2gb or try to stream music or netflix for any substantial amount of time. They're infamous for cancelling accounts without warning if you go overboard (and with it, your number, so see #2). If you don't stream music or video and stick to just apps and browsing, it should be really hard to go over the 2gb.

Is Straight Talk a really good choice for Nexus phones, however? I mean with Google Now and the new Voice Search.. are there other GSM prepaid alternatives (preferably something that uses AT&T's spectrum as T-Mobile is just flat out broken here).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zero VGS posted:

I'm already on the $30 Tmo plan, I just wanted some clarity on the contract bit. I will probably pick up a N4 in late November.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Straight Talk a really good choice for Nexus phones, however? I mean with Google Now and the new Voice Search.. are there other GSM prepaid alternatives (preferably something that uses AT&T's spectrum as T-Mobile is just flat out broken here).

We're talking about the LG Nexus in the USA. So scroll back to the OP and the "AT&T" and "T-Mo" towers lists are the only value players in town. There's that one other AT&T MVNO, H20, with a higher price and lower set data cap instead of ST's nebulous "unlimited* *but we might murder you, randomly".

Google Now and Voice Search still don't use much bandwidth in the grand scheme of things. 2gb is hilariously easy to exceed if you stream music/movies, and virtually impossible if you don't. The only edge cases would be if you hosed up and downloaded a giant game without wifi, or set your Dropbox photos to upload without wifi.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

We're talking about the LG Nexus in the USA. So scroll back to the OP and the "AT&T" and "T-Mo" towers lists are the only value players in town. There's that one other AT&T MVNO, H20, with a higher price and lower set data cap instead of ST's nebulous "unlimited* *but we might murder you, randomly".

Google Now and Voice Search still don't use much bandwidth in the grand scheme of things. 2gb is hilariously easy to exceed if you stream music/movies, and virtually impossible if you don't. The only edge cases would be if you hosed up and downloaded a giant game without wifi, or set your Dropbox photos to upload without wifi.

That is true. I'll keep it in mind, I have until March to decide what I want to do anyway. Thanks for the answers! I may have more questions in the future as March draws closer.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Jmcrofts posted:

I am thinking about doing exactly this with the Nexus 4 once it comes out. This will be my first smartphone! Can any goons in the great lakes region (Indiana specifically) vouch for the coverage of T-Mo prepaid? I'm on verizon right now and the coverage is excellent but I'm tired of overpaying for contract plans.

Do it. Unless you routinely use more than 100 min per month, then go with straight talk $45 per month plan. Tmo is decent over here in NWI and closer to Chicago but judging by their maps, it's not so great everywhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The overage per minute on the TMo plan is cheap enough that you'd need to actually be closer to 250 minutes per month to have it cost more than Straight Talk; if you use 101 minutes, $30.10 is still a lot cheaper than $45.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go for it I think. $30 a month really does seem like a steal, and I'm a babby so I never use my phone for talking anyway.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Jmcrofts posted:

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go for it I think. $30 a month really does seem like a steal, and I'm a babby so I never use my phone for talking anyway.

:hf: new T-Mobile friend. It's an odd month where I use more than 20 minutes of my 100, so this really is an amazing value.

That said, T-Mobile's signal strengths have always been kinda :geno: in my opinion, but that's some Grade-A First World Problem bullshit right there, so I don't think it's worth complaining about.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I kinda feel silly for buying 2 Samsung Nexus last week and seeing the LG Nexus going up for sale soon. I should have waited. :(

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Choicecut posted:

I kinda feel silly for buying 2 Samsung Nexus last week and seeing the LG Nexus going up for sale soon. I should have waited. :(

Don't feel too ridiculous. The Galaxy Nexus is still an amazing phone, and frankly, I don't trust LG hardware!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I, too, just bought a Galaxy Nexus and I'm not sweating the new hardware. There will always be something newer, and I guess I'd rather use something tested by a year of users than something brand new with unknown quality.

Am I insane or does the T-mobile website not let you use the letter v in your password? I was just trying to change mine, and every letter works but V. Tried with two browsers. And it's not my keyboard, checked that, too. What a weird bug.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Nihiliste posted:

Don't feel too ridiculous. The Galaxy Nexus is still an amazing phone, and frankly, I don't trust LG hardware!
Wouldn't you say that the Galaxy S (1) cock-up was more widespread than the G2x disaster? Samsung was mocked forever in the android phone thread, and as far as I know, LG's failure was limited to a single phone.

Besides, with google looking over their shoulder, I don't think the FUD is warranted.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How is Red Pocket in terms of service? I've heard that they warn if you go over 10,000 text messages as that's all AT&T allows them. However, they're not that stingy on data like Straight Talk.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is Red Pocket in terms of service? I've heard that they warn if you go over 10,000 text messages as that's all AT&T allows them. However, they're not that stingy on data like Straight Talk.

They're not that stingy because they specify that they only have a 1gb data plan.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

They're not that stingy because they specify that they only have a 1gb data plan.

I barely use 100MB a month on Sprint so I could get by easily on 1GB. I'm mostly concerned with the text message limits that they seem to have (though I don't think I could hit 10,000 a month).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know a few people are doing the Google voice number forwarding to the prepaid number. Is anyone having issues with this? I don't know if its storm related - no one can call me at my Google voice number, texts are working fine though.

Edit - From the Google Voice product forums

quote:

The east coast power outages are affecting some coverage including inbound calls.

We appreciate your patience.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 30, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Quick question, what's the best prepaid plan if I need tethering? All the information I see sort of excludes that.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Quick question, what's the best prepaid plan if I need tethering? All the information I see sort of excludes that.

I would have said the $30 tmo plan but I tethered yesterday and after 400 mb they cut me off and told me to pay to get tethering. It looks like it costs another $15 to add tethering to it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What about prepaid hotspots? Is there a a decently priced option? I could get a hotspot, and just use that instead of tethering.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What about prepaid hotspots? Is there a a decently priced option? I could get a hotspot, and just use that instead of tethering.

It depends on how much data you need. If you're in a metro area, look at FreedomPop because they offer a 500MB free package, along with other possibilities. You pay for the hotspot up front, but I think $90 up-front for no-cost 500MB monthly is a pretty good deal.

Otherwise, tethering is still a decent deal if you already have a smartphone and a generous data package. I think $15 is pretty fair as a rider to your plan, though would certainly prefer a "data is data, do whatever you want" policy coupled with soft caps. I called my local T-Mobile store a while back and the employee told me the tethering rider is an at-will toggle, and not a permanent extra fee for the plan.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Take a look at us over at Ting. Depending on how much data you need, you'll either be amazed or horrified at our prices.

• Locked thread