Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Did anyone expect them not to come out with a turbo version? It's not like Subaru doesn't have any flat fours with turbochargers on them now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ft86club.com.txt:

'this will never happen TASA SAN SAID IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN'

'it does need a turbo it would ruin the balance of the car'

'it doesnt need a turbo yet I am bolting on an aftermarket turbo/SC'

yeah guys, they are going to tell you before they launch the NA version of the car that in a year or two they are making a faster, better car. they dont want to sell you a bunch of the NA model at all!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Great, now I get to choose between turbo and NA models when it comes time to pull a motor out of a U-shaped husk wrapped around a tree.

But seriously, a turbo makes some degree of sense. I bet people would be really pissed if Subaru could deliver a BRZ with less than a year long wait list.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 23, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Laserface posted:

yeah guys, they are going to tell you before they launch the NA version of the car that in a year or two they are making a faster, better car. they dont want to sell you a bunch of the NA model at all!

Most people that know Subaru knew an 'STI' equivalent of the BRZ was coming with more power, but with the way they kept denying a turbo; even for the BRZ STI/whatever; I was under the impression that they decided to keep it N/A.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to hear the :qq: when it comes in at $35k.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If they make a turbo FR-S I am all over that poo poo.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

fknlo posted:

Meh. I bought a BRZ this weekend because everything I was comparing it to was twice the price. I'll probably trade it in on one of those because there's really nothing else out there that compares. I'd guess $33k though.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

fknlo posted:

I can buy a 420hp mustang for that price :smug:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'm calling bullshit.

An anonymous source says it's going to have 280hp? Righttt... Does it shoot rainbows out of the tail pipe too because that would be FABULOUS!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why bullshit? Thats right around the same HP Hyundai puts out in their RWD coupe. The Mustang puts out even more from it's V6. It seems comparable to the competitors and may have a slight advantage with lower weight.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm calling bullshit.

An anonymous source says it's going to have 280hp? Righttt... Does it shoot rainbows out of the tail pipe too because that would be FABULOUS!

they say that because they are referring to the FA20-T already in use in the Legacy GT with those power figures.

I mean, the logical conclusion here is that it ends up in the BRZ.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Also the claim is that they're developing a turbo version of the engine. If the engine gets put into the WRX, that's what everyone would expect. The bit about putting in back in (or that it would fit in) the BRZ is pure speculation.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm calling bullshit.

I'm going to assume this is a joke, but if not, Subaru has made 300hp from their 2.0L since the mid 90s.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Muffinpox posted:

I'm going to assume this is a joke, but if not, Subaru has made 300hp from their 2.0L since the mid 90s.

Hrm. I know that Subaru can get 300hp from an engine. I know about the LGT, FA-T, etc...

Did anyone click through to the Autoblog link? Did anyone click through to the source? Alternately, have any of you read this (non car, but tech) article?: http://gizmodo.com/5953355/how-i-fooled-the-internet-into-thinking-this-fake-sony-nexus-was-real

So yes, I'm calling bullshit. Not because some Japanese engineer said they wouldn't build an FI car, but because the story lacks substantiated information, a reliable source and just seems fishy in general. Especially the suggestion that Subaru would drop this for 2014. Why, when they are having no problems selling the cars that they are making now, would they start working on a turbo version with a release date of a year from now? Even back with the early USDM WRXs it was still generally two years between updates and that was in a pre recession world.

I'll say maybe, in two years they create a turbo version that is some SPEC Z, Type UM, version D and it's expensive and Japan (or possibly UK, AUS and friends) only. OR at the end of the current designs lifecycle, a more realistic three to four years, they bring a mild version of the turbo engine. If they do, I bet it's detuned to 250hp to help pass mileage requirements and $35k.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

Hrm. I know that Subaru can get 300hp from an engine. I know about the LGT, FA-T, etc...

Did anyone click through to the Autoblog link? Did anyone click through to the source? Alternately, have any of you read this (non car, but tech) article?: http://gizmodo.com/5953355/how-i-fooled-the-internet-into-thinking-this-fake-sony-nexus-was-real

So yes, I'm calling bullshit. Not because some Japanese engineer said they wouldn't build an FI car, but because the story lacks substantiated information, a reliable source and just seems fishy in general. Especially the suggestion that Subaru would drop this for 2014. Why, when they are having no problems selling the cars that they are making now, would they start working on a turbo version with a release date of a year from now? Even back with the early USDM WRXs it was still generally two years between updates and that was in a pre recession world.

I'll say maybe, in two years they create a turbo version that is some SPEC Z, Type UM, version D and it's expensive and Japan (or possibly UK, AUS and friends) only. OR at the end of the current designs lifecycle, a more realistic three to four years, they bring a mild version of the turbo engine. If they do, I bet it's detuned to 250hp to help pass mileage requirements and $35k.

I agree with Matt on this one. Automotive blogs and news sites are notorious for baseless speculation. It sells and gives them hits because they know people search for these things.

You should have seen how many non-articles were released about the next VW Golf. They included everything from promises about the GTD coming to the US to fake renders that make it look like a versa or Mazda3.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Hey guys, the aftermarket has turbo'd the FA20 and gotten 400hp out of it -- I don't know why you all think a modest increase in horsepower from the OEM is somehow impossible.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

emoltra posted:

Hey guys, the aftermarket has turbo'd the FA20 and gotten 400hp out of it -- I don't know why you all think a modest increase in horsepower from the OEM is somehow impossible.

It's highly unlikely for that story to be true, though, given the time frame, the other products currently in development, and the fact that the likely price point for a proper OEM version with warranty would start stepping on the new WRX/STi's toes. It makes no sense to come out with such a product literally a year after or concurrent to the new WRX model. Also the whole "no sources at all" thing.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

If you switch the engine over to E85 and retune it you immediately get 250hp. Somehow I doubt it'd be very difficult or time consuming for Subaru engineers to achieve 280hp with forced induction.

zorch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 23, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

emoltra posted:

If you switch the engine over to E85 and retune it you immediately get 250hp. Somehow I doubt it'd be very difficult or time consuming for Subaru engineers to achieve 280hp with forced injection.

Not on a factory warranty.

And the word you're looking for is "induction."

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cream_Filling posted:

...And the word you're looking for is "induction."

Forced Injection? He thinks Subaru is planning on raping its engine.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

emoltra posted:

Subaru engineers to achieve 280hp with forced injection.

280hp of pure rape euphemism typo.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It's not that the power numbers are unbelievable, or that it's somehow inconceivable for Subaru to want to make a turbocharged version of the car. Matt's post does a pretty good job of laying out the more business-side reasons that a 2014 MY turbo BRZ seems very unlikely.

Also: Subaru BRZ Spec-:dong:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Those asshat "journalists" are incompetent. The motor they described is the one Subaru is developing for the the next WRX, not the BRZ.

I seriously doubt Subaru are going to put out a turbo BRZ right around the time their halo car new generation is launched. Chill, the BRZ STI will get more power, it aint getting a turbo.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Those asshat "journalists" are incompetent. The motor they described is the one Subaru is developing for the the next WRX, not the BRZ.

I seriously doubt Subaru are going to put out a turbo BRZ right around the time their halo car new generation is launched. Chill, the BRZ STI will get more power, it aint getting a turbo.

I used to believe Audi was actually going to produce an R4, but now I've come to accept that it exists only in the minds of internet journalists.

I imagine a tuned TRD or STI version of the toyobaru would put to rest most power complaints even without forced induction. Lots of people seem to be concerned about the torque dip more than anything else, and if they can tune that out and boost top power even a little bit hopefully it will satisfy the majority. Of course there will always be people wanting more power, so I'm sure it won't be long until we see BRZ STIs with aftermarket turbo kits.

On that topic, I've been scouring the internet for info on using FI with the toyobaru, and there seem to be quite a few turbo kits popping up but not much in the way of superchargers. From what I've seen a supercharger setup would potentially be cheaper, lighter and easier to install, and they are supposedly capable of adding 50+ hp without too much trouble, so why am I not seeing more of them? I suppose a supercharger might limit you somewhat if you want huge power gains, but in my opinion this car doesn't need it.

On the other hand parasitic loss and it's effect on fuel economy is a common complaint. It seems the only way to avoid this is with a roots style supercharger, and I haven't found anyone using one on a toyobaru yet.

Regardless, at this point it's all purely speculative for me, I won't even be buying the car for 18 months or so, let alone modifying it. For now I'm basically just writing a wishlist.

:unsmith:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
To be completely honest, you'll always see more turbo kits come out first, regardless of model. creating a turbo kit is relatively easy compared to a supercharger kit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ubachung posted:

I used to believe Audi was actually going to produce an R4, but now I've come to accept that it exists only in the minds of internet journalists.

He begins to feel depressed. He knows the end is near. He realizes that imaginary exhaust notes and imaginary cars exist only in the imagination of the imaginer... and ultimately, who gives a gently caress anyway?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I know a turbo model is much more likely,but is it possible that a 3L flat 6 would ever make it into this car?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
no

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Don't be silly.

jeff8472 posted:

I know a turbo model is much more likely,but is it possible that a 3L flat 6 would ever make it into this car?

How are you with a welder? :clint:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jeff8472 posted:

Aftermarket? I know it's being worked on right now. Factory? No.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

ubachung posted:

On that topic, I've been scouring the internet for info on using FI with the toyobaru, and there seem to be quite a few turbo kits popping up but not much in the way of superchargers.

Vortech is announcing the details of their kit at SEMA next week, and it sounds like it will be on 3-4 cars there.

I believe there is a roots kit being developed in AUS, but it sounds like it'll be pricey.

There's a twin screw kit too that I think is going to be at SEMA.

Really, you just need to brave the cesspool that is the ft86 forums and go to the FI section.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Someone should put a custom blower on a V4 and mate that up to the tranny. Would be cute to have a tiny blower sitting through the roof. :3:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mat_Drinks posted:

Vortech is announcing the details of their kit at SEMA next week, and it sounds like it will be on 3-4 cars there.

I believe there is a roots kit being developed in AUS, but it sounds like it'll be pricey.

There's a twin screw kit too that I think is going to be at SEMA.

Really, you just need to brave the cesspool that is the ft86 forums and go to the FI section.

Literaly one of the first things hks did was a supercharger kit on their demo car.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

a tiny blower sitting through the roof. :3:

If I had the money I'd be on this immediately. :allears:

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Any opinions wrt to the long term implications of E85 on this car? It's readily available and rather cheap in Ottawa so it's quite tempting.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Literaly one of the first things hks did was a supercharger kit on their demo car.

Good point, though it's pretty steep at ~$6k w/o tuning.

Looks like these guys are going to have it at SEMA though, so maybe we'll get better US pricing and info: http://blog.evasivemotorsports.com/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Deathreaper posted:

Any opinions wrt to the long term implications of E85 on this car? It's readily available and rather cheap in Ottawa so it's quite tempting.

Do it.

The more cheap BRZs with wrecked engines to stuff an LSx into a few years from now the better.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Do it.

The more cheap BRZs with wrecked engines to stuff an LSx into a few years from now the better.

It will be the new FD RX7. :ohdear:

We'll have people swapping out the stock "quirky" motor for a Chev V8 while the purists defend the original engine since it keeps the original balance to the car. :3:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Wheeee posted:

Do it.

There is only one answer: A Nelson engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!
I'd really like to sell my RSX Type-S with 120,000 miles and get a BRZ, but it feels weird to make such a sideways move. The rumors of a turbo BRZ make me feel like I should wait :raise:

• Locked thread