Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

That's weird, because Wiki likes lots of faces talking without a lot of noise (visual or otherwise). I think he belongs in TV/IV because he only watches The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Charlie Rose on PBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I applied to be considered to adopt a pair of pigs, and they said it's a 2 month process at least. The literal gently caress? If they want to come do an inspection and talk to me about my previous pigs, that's fine, but what can they possibly be doing that takes that long?

quote:

I am the Applications Coordinator of the Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue (MGPR). We have received your application. I am writing to let you know that there is about a two week wait before a volunteer will become available to guide you through the adoption process. The adoption process generally takes two months and involves answering questions about your readiness to care for guinea pigs.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Saint Darwin posted:

So I applied to be considered to adopt a pair of pigs, and they said it's a 2 month process at least. The literal gently caress? If they want to come do an inspection and talk to me about my previous pigs, that's fine, but what can they possibly be doing that takes that long?

I realize that time is a limited resource for a lot of rescues, but that seems slightly ridiculous. :psyduck:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
That seems a little excessive. When we adopted Buster from them ages ago, we called them up and were like "yo we want a pig" and we filled out their application and set up a time to come look at their pigs and took Buster home. Whole process took maybe a week. Maybe it's a tactic to make not serious people give up?

Either way two months of interviews about your readiness for a guinea pig is absolutely ridiculous especially since you're a responsible adult (I assume) who's had guinea pigs before.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Saint Darwin posted:

It's taken us upwards of 2 months to process applications before, mostly because we're tiny and can only do 2-3 adoptions a weekend (less than that if they're far away). If we get 10 people that want to adopt, and they want to buy cages (and so I consequently have to build for them), and I have to drive pigs out to them or arrange transports, it can be time consuming. With us it's less that YOUR actual process takes 2 months, and more that we have 2-3 people conducting adoptions and cover a big area.

They may also be prepping you for a worst case scenario. They're the rescue that fixes all their pigs, right? That might build in the post-surgery recovery if you pick a pair that haven't already been snipped.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Saint Darwin posted:

So I applied to be considered to adopt a pair of pigs, and they said it's a 2 month process at least.

2 months! But my snake's hungry now! :saddowns:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

cat with hands posted:

2 months! But my snake's hungry now! :saddowns:

It would make 0 sense to go through these people to abuse the pigs, since the adoption fee is $100 a pair.

It just makes no sense that it'll take that long. The application was very short and mostly dealt with my history of pets. I'd not be surprised if they wanted to see the cage/place they will be and talk to me, but what else can they honestly be doing for the rest of that time frame? Ugh.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Saint Darwin posted:

what else can they honestly be doing for the rest of that time frame? Ugh.

Dealing with ALL the other applications, surrender requests, and transport requests that they get. This has nothing to do with 2 months of testing YOU. It has to do with the fact that they have only a few people doing rescue work for the entire area, they get hundreds of inquiries per month, AND these people also work full time in addition to their rescue work.

Going to a place like this is what gets you perfectly healthy, bonded, friendly pigs. But the cost is having to wait for it. Go check out the shelter if you need it faster, but realize you're taking your chances with pregnancy, mites, etc.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Dealing with ALL the other applications, surrender requests, and transport requests that they get. This has nothing to do with 2 months of testing YOU. It has to do with the fact that they have only a few people doing rescue work for the entire area, they get hundreds of inquiries per month, AND these people also work full time in addition to their rescue work.

Going to a place like this is what gets you perfectly healthy, bonded, friendly pigs. But the cost is having to wait for it. Go check out the shelter if you need it faster, but realize you're taking your chances with pregnancy, mites, etc.

I understand they're volunteers and waiting a few weeks would not surprise me, and I wanted a few anyway in order to get the cage and area together. I got the impression that they're a very small place that only has a few dozen guinea pigs; in fact I think they only have pigs in foster homes, homed by the volunteers. I just didn't get the feeling that they take in that many pigs.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I promise, it's probably a worst-case estimate. You can't imagine the number of people who submit an application at noon with the comment "I'll be in town tonight between 4pm and 6pm, I need to pick them up at that time" or who submit an app on a Monday, you email back Tuesday saying you can schedule the adoption for Saturday, and they say "sorry that's too long to wait, I went to Petsmart instead". This estimate helps manage people's expectations.

More likely, it'll be a week or two. I think, like us, they only have a few people do the adoptions, so they have to transport from the fosters to the adoption coordinators, and they probably only have time to do one or two adoptions per week. Like Rodent Mortician says, they also probably build in a recovery time just in case you select a pair that needs to be S/N before going home.

They're really a very good rescue. But there is NOTHING wrong with going to a shelter if you prefer. :)

They have 25+ pigs listed right now, which is a BIG number. I'd consider them the second largest GP rescue on the eastern seaboard. Only once or twice have I had that many. When I did I easily got over 100 applications a month.

PS if you want to drive down to Chapel Hill this week I'll give you a pair of intact, unbonded rear end in a top hat males who like to climb out of their cages to terrorize one another.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I sent them an email back asking for more information as to why it'd take so long, but I assumed that they were already fixed so there would be no recovery period, especially since I asked about a male-female pair, one would hope they've already done it!

But yes, thanks for the info, I'll just keep talking to them and see what we can work out. Getting pigs who are bonded and not trouble is worth it.

Long after edit: Also those sounds like a bad idea because of my cat.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 16, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

alucinor posted:

PS if you want to drive down to Chapel Hill this week I'll give you a pair of intact, unbonded rear end in a top hat males who like to climb out of their cages to terrorize one another.

That sounds adorable. I miss my pigs' fussy rear end in a top hat period :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alucinor posted:

Gotta give the little fellows points for determination, that's for sure

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

According to the email I received back, it's mostly making sure I know what I'm doing and have the supplies on hand, which is of course fine, but then they only do adoption meets once a month, and of course if someone is approved ahead of me then they get to meet the pig first and I'm out in the cold.

So, I'm trying to find out when the next date is, but I've never been lauded for having much patience.

Along those getting ready lines, what do you people use to hold the coroplast in its shape? I'm pretty sure I've lost most if not all of the clips that came with the cage, and I remember my guinea pigs were dumb and constantly chewed on them, which would be fine except that it resulted in them pulling them off nearly daily.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 16, 2012

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Saint Darwin posted:

According to the email I received back, it's mostly making sure I know what I'm doing and have the supplies on hand, which is of course fine, but then they only do adoption meets once a month, and of course if someone is approved ahead of me then they get to meet the pig first and I'm out in the cold.

Try not to worry. They have LOTS of adorable pigs right now. You're bound to get some you love. :3:

Saint Darwin posted:

Along those getting ready lines, what do you people use to hold the coroplast in its shape? I'm pretty sure I've lost most if not all of the clips that came with the cage, and I remember my guinea pigs were dumb and constantly chewed on them, which would be fine except that it resulted in them pulling them off nearly daily.

Try medium binder clips (perfectly sized to fit in the normal grid spaces) or zip ties (punch two holes about an inch apart, thread it into and back out of the cage) or even duct tape.

cat with hands posted:

That sounds adorable. I miss my pigs' fussy rear end in a top hat period :(

I'll waive the adoption fee to goons. No take backs, though.

Yoshimi
Mar 28, 2012
So my gerbils have fleas, most likely from a cat I kept in my apartment for a few weeks for a friend. I'm going to clean out their cage, but what can I do to get rid of the fleas that are on them?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Hello PI!

I have some questions, I'm thinking of getting a Chinchilla. This is more of a long term thought as it won't be at least for a few months to a year, I want to read and know as much as I can before committing.

I love rats but I'm getting tired of their short life spans and the heart break and vet bills that come with that. I have been reading that Chinchillas can live for up to 20 years.

Are two better than 1 and how social are they? I like to keep my rat on my shoulder most of the day, he loves playing with my hair, ears and sleeping in the hood of my jacket, mostly sleeping (this is pretty much what all of my male rats favorite things are). Will a Chin try and jump off of my shoulder if walking around with him? Or will they be happier in one of those ball things that hamsters have to run around the floor?

This is the current cage that I have for my rat. Will it be suitable for a Chinchilla? This is the best fitting one for my apartment.
http://www.petco.com/product/106171/Petco-Rat-Manor-Habitat.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
It's covered in sticky tile so that it doesn't hurt his feet and cleaned 2x weekly.

I also have this, it's a bit old but it is intact. But I don't like it because the base and shelves plastic, the ladders are dangling from strands of plastic at the moment.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753352&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

The current bedding that I use is Carefresh Natural. Is that okay or is there something much better?

Also what I have been reading is recommending pellets as a diet. That doesn't seem right to me. Should I use that and suppliment with other foods. Or use something entirely different.

I do have 3 chewproof waterbottles, a wheel and I home make most of my toys for my rat (rope ladders, bridges, hammocks, etc...)

How is poop training? I have always trained my rats to poop in certain spots (peeing that's a whole different story, it just happens when it happens). Can that be done with a Chinchilla? No big deal either way.

Ratwise, I prefer males over females as they are more chill and relaxed. Is that the same with Chins or should I consider a female?

Fake edit: I won't be getting a Chinchilla until the unavoidable happens with my current 4 year old rat buddy.

Or should I just suck it up and get more rats for my personal personality preferences?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Hello PI!

I have some questions, I'm thinking of getting a Chinchilla. This is more of a long term thought as it won't be at least for a few months to a year, I want to read and know as much as I can before committing.

I love rats but I'm getting tired of their short life spans and the heart break and vet bills that come with that. I have been reading that Chinchillas can live for up to 20 years.

Are two better than 1 and how social are they? I like to keep my rat on my shoulder most of the day, he loves playing with my hair, ears and sleeping in the hood of my jacket, mostly sleeping (this is pretty much what all of my male rats favorite things are). Will a Chin try and jump off of my shoulder if walking around with him? Or will they be happier in one of those ball things that hamsters have to run around the floor?

This is the current cage that I have for my rat. Will it be suitable for a Chinchilla? This is the best fitting one for my apartment.
http://www.petco.com/product/106171/Petco-Rat-Manor-Habitat.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
It's covered in sticky tile so that it doesn't hurt his feet and cleaned 2x weekly.

I also have this, it's a bit old but it is intact. But I don't like it because the base and shelves plastic, the ladders are dangling from strands of plastic at the moment.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753352&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

The current bedding that I use is Carefresh Natural. Is that okay or is there something much better?

Also what I have been reading is recommending pellets as a diet. That doesn't seem right to me. Should I use that and suppliment with other foods. Or use something entirely different.

I do have 3 chewproof waterbottles, a wheel and I home make most of my toys for my rat (rope ladders, bridges, hammocks, etc...)

How is poop training? I have always trained my rats to poop in certain spots (peeing that's a whole different story, it just happens when it happens). Can that be done with a Chinchilla? No big deal either way.

Ratwise, I prefer males over females as they are more chill and relaxed. Is that the same with Chins or should I consider a female?

Fake edit: I won't be getting a Chinchilla until the unavoidable happens with my current 4 year old rat buddy.

Or should I just suck it up and get more rats for my personal personality preferences?

1) If you're gone a lot a bonded pair would be better, they can keep each other company. DO NOT just go get two random chinchillas and expect them to be friends because they won't. I own two that were not raised together and I keep them in separate cages. They will not just chill on your shoulder as you walk around, and they are not cuddly. They'll sit in their cages and like pets but do not like being held. DO NOT DO NOT EVER put a chinchilla in one of those plastic balls, they will overheat and die. If you want to let him out to run around you need to chinchilla-proof a room (hide all wires, make sure there's nothing dangerous to chew on or places to go hide that you can't get to) for them to run in.

2) The first cage would be ok to start with, but both my chins (and many other PI chin owners) have cages from https://www.qualitycage.com. Mine live in chinchilla mansions. The wood shelves are better for their feet than wire and gives them something to chew on.

3) Carefresh is fine.

4) I feed them pellets and supplement with hay and make sure they have water and stuff to chew on. That's all they really need. They don't like fresh fruit or veggies.

5) Poop training? :lol::lol::lol::lol: Yeah... no. I'm pretty sure they're not even aware that poops are coming out and poop constantly. Mine pick a corner to pee in and are pretty consistent about it.

6) I have two males, I've never had a female but from what I've read males are much more chill and laid back than females.

So in short, if you want a cuddly buddy rodent, stick with rats or guinea pigs. Chins are definitely not cuddly.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks for all the info!

I think I'll wait until I move into a bigger place and can give a Chinchilla his own room.

I do have this cage from craigslist a while back but it absolutely will not fit anywhere in my current apartment.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12793957&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

The only room I can let him run around in on his own is the bathroom right now (2 cats that I would worry about anywhere else.).

For now I think I'll take a break from rats after this one and try to find something more suitable for my needs.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
If you want to read more about chinchilla stuff from us, go ahead and click the question mark under my name as well as Aquatic Giraffe's name and read the posts we've made in this thread. We've made some replies to other people asking about chinchillas in the past.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome Kristin posted:

If you want to read more about chinchilla stuff from us, go ahead and click the question mark under my name as well as Aquatic Giraffe's name and read the posts we've made in this thread. We've made some replies to other people asking about chinchillas in the past.

How is Charlie coping on his own, by the way? Poor little fellow.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
In my mind, chinchillas are basically what happens if you get a ferret and a rabbit to mate. Perpetual energy and ability to deconstruct things combined with more jumping ability and sense of pride which resists cuddling.

(That said they are cute as hell and I loved fostering them. Watching them eat hay one piece at a time in their tiny hands is adorable.)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I haven't heard back from the adoption place and it's been a week, so I don't know what to think. I just asked when the next pig-meet is.

If I got young guinea pigs that are littermates, what's the chance that they will be happy being pals? Could it really go either way and it's hard to tell when they're so young, or if they seem to like each other as youngins is that a good indication that they could live together happily?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Sure, siblings usually do fine, as long as you have a big enough cage that they can work through their hormonal tiffs without killing one another.

Most pigs are dicks between about 9 and 18 months. Worst case scenario, you'll have to divide the cage (no problem if it's big enough), then you can remove the divider and put them back together after they're done with puberty.

I'm sure the delay from MGPR has nothing to do with you; it's a problem with scheduling and juggling work/rescue responsibilities on their end. I know it's hard to be patient so I'm sure that doesn't help, though. :( Wish I had a better suggestion for you.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How is Charlie coping on his own, by the way? Poor little fellow.

I can tell he has a lot more energy than before. Also, before I got Oscar, Charlie used to really enjoy scratches behind his ears and on his chest. As soon as Oscar came along he seemed to stop enjoying it so much. Now I can tell he really wants attention because he resists those things a lot less and is actually accepting attention again. He's a little but more intense with his people-watching.

Unfortunately with a newborn this is a tough time to have to give him MORE attention. I know it was out of my control and seems selfish to say, but this was the worst time for something like this to happen.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

alucinor posted:

Sure, siblings usually do fine, as long as you have a big enough cage that they can work through their hormonal tiffs without killing one another.

Most pigs are dicks between about 9 and 18 months. Worst case scenario, you'll have to divide the cage (no problem if it's big enough), then you can remove the divider and put them back together after they're done with puberty.

I'm sure the delay from MGPR has nothing to do with you; it's a problem with scheduling and juggling work/rescue responsibilities on their end. I know it's hard to be patient so I'm sure that doesn't help, though. :( Wish I had a better suggestion for you.

I'm just pretty impatient. I got another email from them when I sent another one asking when exactly the next event is

quote:

I apologize; it sounds like my last email about when we hold adoption meets didn't reach you. We hold adoption meets once a month. I cannot provide more specific details as you need to go through the screening process first. As I mentioned, that process takes several weeks and adoption may not happen for two months (as there may be a wait after your application is approved before we are able to invite you to an adoption event). I apologize that I cannot be more specific but that is how our process works.

Let me know if you are interested in continuing.

I mean, the only reason I am sticking with this is because they're paired and fixed. If I got them from "other places" they most likely would not be and it would cost a lot more money to take them to the vet and as you say, potential growing up problems. It really seems like they get enough requests that it's less of a guinea pig rescue and more of a guinea pig distribution service, but what do I know. I'll continue on but having the cage all set up and ready for weeks is kind of sad.

edit: I replied yes, let's continue

quote:

Ok, I will assign your application to a volunteer who will contact you within the week to start guiding you through the adoption process. That will involve answering questions on basic care and questions to check that you have the appropriate supplies.

Sorry to make this my own guinea pig story thread, I promise a bunch of pig pictures in the future.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome Kristin posted:

I can tell he has a lot more energy than before. Also, before I got Oscar, Charlie used to really enjoy scratches behind his ears and on his chest. As soon as Oscar came along he seemed to stop enjoying it so much. Now I can tell he really wants attention because he resists those things a lot less and is actually accepting attention again. He's a little but more intense with his people-watching.

Based on this thread, I'd never have thought of Chinchillas as quiet staring animals.
I guess they find you all more fascinating then the stuff in their cages?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Based on this thread, I'd never have thought of Chinchillas as quiet staring animals.
I guess they find you all more fascinating then the stuff in their cages?

They will put their little hands up on the bars and stare like crazy.

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
Just when I thought my hamster was on her last legs (she's getting close to 2 and a half, she's got what looks like a tumour on her belly, she's been sleeping way more than she used to...) she decided to prove me wrong last night, by managing to get up to the roof of her cage, and climbing across it upside down.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Got this awesome playpen for my gerbil duo! They love to chew on the bars :3: What else should I add to make it more fun for them?

e: Broke the poo poo outta them tables, let me get a better picture.

e2: Picture is a tolerable size now.

Bone fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2012

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Bone posted:

Got this awesome playpen for my gerbil duo! They love to chew on the bars :3: What else should I add to make it more fun for them?

One thing I like to do with mine is to cut up cardboard boxes and make places for them to climb, play in, and generally demolish.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

What's in that bowl on the left?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Awesome Kristin posted:

They will put their little hands up on the bars and stare like crazy.

Like this:

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Saint Darwin posted:

What's in that bowl on the left?

Chinchilla dust. They roll around in it to bathe and it's about the cutest thing ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

He wants to eat my soul!
:gonk:

(That's Dexter, I presume, based on your earlier comments?)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 26, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Yes, yes it is. He's stares much more than Smokey. He's also a lot friendlier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Yes, yes it is. He's stares much more than Smokey. He's also a lot friendlier.

That is still one terrifying picture. Does he stop being all quiet and staring once he's getting attention?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

No. He just likes to people watch. My ex-boyfriend HATED Dexter for this reason. Dex will pivot and continue watching you as you walk past his cage, too. You get used to it after a while I guess, I think it's kinda cute because the way he sits when he's watching makes him look completely spherical. He likes to watch TV so if the TV is on he'll watch that instead.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Bone posted:

I bought one of these playpens at a garage sale, and unfortunately my gerbils just instantly wanted to climb up the bars and hop out. I tried distracting them with cardboard and other chewies, but it only worked for a second. I also tried giving them a sand bath once, and they just pooped in it and then kicked it all out. Which is more courteous than rolling in their own poop, I guess.

This was with my previous pair of gerbils, though. Maybe I should try it with my current pair. It looks fun. If it works, I'll take some pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

"One day I will get out, and where will your God be then? :stare:"