Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Yeah, I'm one of those players where my best score on Gold has been ~74k as a Turian Sentinel. I try to stick with the team and do my best to kill and revive but I get isolated a lot and dropped due to lag, my own player stupidity, or whatever.

Which is why I said I was pretty sure I could do it if I put the right music on and zoned out just right. :(

btw to those who've played with me: I really am sorry I die all the time, I'm like a death magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

doomfunk posted:

btw to those who've played with me: I really am sorry I die all the time, I'm like a death magnet.

Just think of yourself as earning them revive medals! :eng101:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

jpmeyer posted:

So I take it that the key to soloing gold/platinum is that each non-objective wave is about killing a bunch of spawns of trash mobs and then waiting until the very end to finish off the bosses?

Yeah wave budget is definitely a factor but soloing is less about budget calculus and more about knowing when it's safe to engage. I don't consciously think "if i kill 3 dragoons it's better than killing 1 atlas" - it's just that engaging safely (ie relocating regularly) means that you fight more fast dragoons than slow lumbering atlases.

The question you should ask yourself is "can i kill this before i need to run away?" If I have a prime, 2 ravagers, and 2 atlases, I'm going to kill the ravagers first because I know I can definitely kill them in 2 seconds whereas I might need to retreat after dedicating 6 seconds to taking down a prime's shields (which then regenerate). If I have 15 seconds alone with a banshee i'll kill it, even if it's early in the wave.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Can anyone give me some tips for soloing Gold?
Someone mentioned hit and run attacks, which I'm going to try.

I'm rolling a Kroguard with a Reegar and Inc. ammo. Should I maybe try a Talon or something instead?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Felinoid posted:

Just think of yourself as earning them revive medals! :eng101:

Are these earned by being revived or reviving people?

I'm like 7 away from completing a challenge and I'd like to know.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vietnamwees posted:

It still baffles me that Bioware still cannot get rid of this bug, even after multiple attempts through balance changes and even a patch. Is the glitch/coding that makes it possible just so ingrained into the game that it is basically impossible to remove or what? I don't think in my years of playing games online that any game has had such difficultly removing one of their glitches, it just boggles the mind.
For some reason Bioware seem to code their games in the most obtuse, rear end-backwards ways possible. How else do you explain the SMG ULM only working on one SMG, but working on any if you also have the HP ULM equipped? As far as I can tell, there must be someone in their coding department that deliberately obfuscates things to make sure that he's the only person who understands how they work. But he's also not very good at coding to begin with, which is how you get so many problems with updating variables (the infinite-morality trick on Noveria, overlays that don't go away when they're supposed to, players stuck off of the grid they can actually move on, the Vorcha invincibility glitch, the Mission-invisibility glitch back in KOTOR, etc.).

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Alter Ego posted:

Reviving people- so terrible pubbies are your achievement fodder!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

If this is a serious question, it's for reviving other people.

Relatedly, I got a death message just now: "Monstrodoom committed suicide." I must've gotten caught in my own prox mine's detonation radius or something, I guess? This has never happened to me before. :downs:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Okay, someone explain something to me. As a TGI, why would you ever take Stim Pack to 6 over the racial passive assuming you were looking to maximize AR damage? At r6, you can get +10% to AR damage whenever a pack is active, or you could take Armiger to r6 and get +10% to AR dmg and stability all the time. I keep seeing people recommending 6/6/6/4/4 and I don't get it at all.

Wouldn't the absolute maximum killing power be 6/6/6/6/0? And a decent blend of surviveability be 6/6/4/6/4? Basically, tell me why I should take stimpack to 6 instead of 4, unless I was planning on not taking overload at all? (and why were you planning on that, the ability to fully strip a phantom's shields instantly is really damned handy)

mania
Sep 9, 2004

doomfunk posted:

Relatedly, I got a death message just now: "Monstrodoom committed suicide." I must've gotten caught in my own prox mine's detonation radius or something, I guess? This has never happened to me before. :downs:

Ravager acid (and maybe the swarmers). I get that message way too often.

Unrelated, but I finally got a hurricane! :woop:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Paracelsus posted:

For some reason Bioware seem to code their games in the most obtuse, rear end-backwards ways possible. How else do you explain the SMG ULM only working on one SMG, but working on any if you also have the HP ULM equipped? As far as I can tell, there must be someone in their coding department that deliberately obfuscates things to make sure that he's the only person who understands how they work. But he's also not very good at coding to begin with, which is how you get so many problems with updating variables (the infinite-morality trick on Noveria, overlays that don't go away when they're supposed to, players stuck off of the grid they can actually move on, the Vorcha invincibility glitch, the Mission-invisibility glitch back in KOTOR, etc.).

My theory is sometime after the ME2 DLC LotSB, Bioware was moved to a new office over an old Indian burial ground, and the moving trucks ran to a full bus on its way to the "creative curses and you" convention, all the while investing heavily in monkey paw futures.

That certainly would explain The Arrival ME2 DLC, the ME3 SP ending disaster, the belly flop of the Extended Cut with special new F.U. version, and two lackluster SP DLC's in a row. May even explain the deeply flawed Origin service, and the never ending stream of MP bugs and exploits. And instead of being the massive home run it should have been (remember how much people loved the MP Demo), even MP ended up somewhat under-performing what it could have been. Reminds me of-

Shopkeeper: [Homer has agreed to purchase a Krusty doll for Bart's birthday] Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
Homer: Ooh, that's bad.
Shopkeeper: But it comes with a free frogurt!
Homer: That's good.
Shopkeeper: The frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: That's bad.
Shopkeeper: But you get your choice of toppings.
Homer: That's good!
Shopkeeper: The toppings contain potassium benzoate.
[Homer looks puzzled]
Shopkeeper: ...That's bad.
Homer: Can I go now?

tl/dnr: Bioware's cursed at this point

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Two Finger posted:

Can anyone give me some tips for soloing Gold?
Someone mentioned hit and run attacks, which I'm going to try.

I'm rolling a Kroguard with a Reegar and Inc. ammo. Should I maybe try a Talon or something instead?

Yeah I had trouble with gold until I stopped using the Reeger. It just takes to many melee kills away from you. Use a Talon or Piranha with a melee bonus and AP ammo use it to soften up pyros and large groups before you charge in. Here's the spec I used for Geth Gold White solo: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#53RARPKq9%400BERLN4M4%400%400

I actually used a Cyclonic IV but it's not in the builder.

Edit: Oh yeah I got an Eagle V :suicide:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Well, that was easy. Is everyone getting the Valkyrie assault rifle in this week's Commendation Pack, or is it random?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

It's random. I sure as poo poo didn't get no Valkyrie. See the post above your for further details.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
The operation's already started? The countdown on the website says there's 5 hours til it starts.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Eagle 6. Guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I actually got some use out of it the other day on a valkyrie sentinel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wonder if they named the Asari Sentinel the Valkyrie just so that they could have this promotional tie-in weekend. It's weird that there are now TWO pairs of seemingly unrelated guns/classes that share a name.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Semisponge posted:

The operation's already started? The countdown on the website says there's 5 hours til it starts.

Just got my Valkyrie here. About to take it for a spin with the Destroyer. Probably going to feel great until I try it with a less gun-awesome class.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Valiant V.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The point counting for achievements doesn't make sense. I just did a silver match using nothing but an eagle III for the weekend operation/pistol title, earned about 65k points, and the challenge says I only earned 35k points. I've noticed this before while trying to get other gun achievements.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ravenfood posted:

Okay, someone explain something to me. As a TGI, why would you ever take Stim Pack to 6 over the racial passive assuming you were looking to maximize AR damage? At r6, you can get +10% to AR damage whenever a pack is active, or you could take Armiger to r6 and get +10% to AR dmg and stability all the time. I keep seeing people recommending 6/6/6/4/4 and I don't get it at all.

Overload is almost always worth 6, but in my opinion the TGI is a class where it explicitly is not because you're giving up weapon damage in other categories - either stim or Armiger. So don't.

so I'd say people suggesting it just see Overload, say "overload owns I gotta max that poo poo" and that's the extent of their thinking on it. cloak into OL 4 still ruins shields for almost everything, even on Gold, so I can get right down to the shoot gun part of the class.

In fairness, it's not wrong, I just think it's not The Most Right.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The point counting for achievements doesn't make sense. I just did a silver match using nothing but an eagle III for the weekend operation/pistol title, earned about 65k points, and the challenge says I only earned 35k points. I've noticed this before while trying to get other gun achievements.

You probably got points from powers, objective waves, revives, extraction or wave completion bonuses, etc.

So you got 35k points with the gun and 30k from other sources.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So got the krysae sniper rifle, its kinda weird, seems to shot missiles and cause tech effects? Does that mean I could pair with overload on my ghost?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Wouldn't the absolute maximum killing power be 6/6/6/6/0? And a decent blend of surviveability be 6/6/4/6/4? Basically, tell me why I should take stimpack to 6 instead of 4, unless I was planning on not taking overload at all? (and why were you planning on that, the ability to fully strip a phantom's shields instantly is really damned handy)

The thread has a weird obssession with 66644 for some reason (it used to be 66653), i think because a lot of people play on lower difficulties where damage output and shields aren't paramount. A lot of guides in the OP recommend 66644, so it's "standard" and players use it as a default when they don't know how to spec something. yes definitely take weapons classes including the ghost to racial 6.

to your second question, on higher difficulties you need the extra shields that 6 ranks of stim pack will give you, it grants more survivability and thus allows you to play more aggressively than any application of overload 6.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Really liking hawk missles since the buff. It's great having a Dragoon try to get up in your face only to be staggered so you canblow his head off. Great for getting Phantoms to hold still as well. Definitely worth the 10% shield hit.

Psion posted:

Overload is almost always worth 6, but in my opinion the TGI is a class where it explicitly is not because you're giving up weapon damage in other categories - either stim or Armiger. So don't.

so I'd say people suggesting it just see Overload, say "overload owns I gotta max that poo poo" and that's the extent of their thinking on it. cloak into OL 4 still ruins shields for almost everything, even on Gold, so I can get right down to the shoot gun part of the class.

In fairness, it's not wrong, I just think it's not The Most Right.

Alright I'll try it your way once they release an infiltrator and I can get a free promotion respec.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

The thread has a weird obssession with 66644 for some reason (it used to be 66653), i think because a lot of people play on lower difficulties where damage output and shields aren't paramount. A lot of guides in the OP recommend 66644, so it's "standard" and players use it as a default when they don't know how to spec something. yes definitely take weapons classes including the ghost to racial 6.

to your second question, on higher difficulties you need the extra shields that 6 ranks of stim pack will give you, it grants more survivability and thus allows you to play more aggressively than any application of overload 6.

It's actually due to a widespread belief that extra shields don't matter on gold since you die as soon as you leave cover regardless. I tend do tend to go with the 66653 and stronghold gear for casters but for soldiers and infiltrators it's certainly not my default.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Used a Hurricane to cap off the weekend challenge.

Got a Hurricane III out of it. :woop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure the "obsession" with 6/6/6 is because a lot of classes have three powers that are awesome and their final evolution is usually more interesting/fun/useful than extra weapon damage or health because numbers are dumb and also boring.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

It's actually due to a widespread belief that extra shields don't matter on gold since you die as soon as you leave cover regardless. I tend do tend to go with the 66653 and stronghold gear for casters but for soldiers and infiltrators it's certainly not my default.

I'd consider maybe revisiting this assumption - even on platinum fitness is great for reviving teammates, disabling objectives, and playing aggressively. Every class has a power that's marginally less effective than the others whereas damage and health are always useful.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Two Silver Matches down and got a Valiant II. That means I've got Eagle I, Valiant II, Crusader III, and Hurricane VIII. One of these is not like the others....

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man, using my bat sent with the harrier is definitely not the way to go it seems. Two gold matches(one wiped at wave 7, one went to extraction) and I'm only halfway there. Any class/gun tips to knock it out in my next game? Do I have to do it all with the same gun?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah I had trouble with gold until I stopped using the Reeger. It just takes to many melee kills away from you. Use a Talon or Piranha with a melee bonus and AP ammo use it to soften up pyros and large groups before you charge in. Here's the spec I used for Geth Gold White solo: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#53RARPKq9%400BERLN4M4%400%400

I actually used a Cyclonic IV but it's not in the builder.

Edit: Oh yeah I got an Eagle V :suicide:

Cheers dude. Changing to the Talon made all the difference, even though I don't think I got more than 5 kills a game with it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So, what are the impressions of the Valkyrie rifle in multiplayer?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Does anyone else see the phoenix characters as having big goofy whale-baleen smiles on their helmets or is that just me.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

nwin posted:

Man, using my bat sent with the harrier is definitely not the way to go it seems. Two gold matches(one wiped at wave 7, one went to extraction) and I'm only halfway there. Any class/gun tips to knock it out in my next game? Do I have to do it all with the same gun?

Do you mean the weekend event? If so do you mean hurricane? For the weekend event you can just use a soldier or infiltrator since the power boosts to weapon damage are credited to the weapon used. Hurricane is probably the quickest to use.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder if they named the Asari Sentinel the Valkyrie just so that they could have this promotional tie-in weekend. It's weird that there are now TWO pairs of seemingly unrelated guns/classes that share a name.

That's exactly what I said!

Two Finger posted:

Valiant V.

So Operation Valkyrie gaVe you a Valiant V and not a Valkyrie? Very good idea to Veer that Valiant V to your Asari Valkyrie for added Versatility, or eVen the Vorcha or the Volus. My Video game Verbosity may Very well Villify your eVening, despite the Verisimilitude of this Very situation.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Schubalts posted:

So, what are the impressions of the Valkyrie rifle in multiplayer?
Didn't unlock it, but knowing Bioware it'll be hilariously underpowered till they slowly buff its damage to double of what it is in SP. Then, finally, it will rival the Eagle.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lagomorphic posted:

Do you mean the weekend event? If so do you mean hurricane? For the weekend event you can just use a soldier or infiltrator since the power boosts to weapon damage are credited to the weapon used. Hurricane is probably the quickest to use.

Holy poo poo that was the lease descriptive I've ever been...sorry about that. Yes I meant the weekend event and yes I meant the Hurricane. My mind's always on the Harrier since I fell in love with the TGI.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

SirViver posted:

Didn't unlock it, but knowing Bioware it'll be hilariously underpowered till they slowly buff its damage to double of what it is in SP. Then, finally, it will rival the Eagle.

Some Bioware employee already confirmed they changed its characteristics from SP to MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I got the Valkyrie. I'm still chipping away at Blood Pack so I might slap it on a batarian and see how it goes. I didn't use it much in SP since my Shepard was not an AR user but it seemed like a beefier version of the Vindicator there.

• Locked thread