Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Mr_Zombie posted:

These two things had me laughing like an idiot.

Why does Hogan act like an Alzhiemer's patient at the start of that bit?

"THERE'S NO HULKAMANIACS HERE!" being his first reaction just kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Someone asked about Dave knowing about Luger:

quote:

Smith turned on Lex Luger at the Garden, but instead of turning on Luger, turned on Diesel at TV and will be managed by Jim Cornette. That may be because Luger at the taping gave notice. Adam Bomb also gave notice at the taping. Apparently he's been disappointed with his push and what he feels are unfulfilled promises. Don't know the situation with Luger but Bomb was told on Monday to talk to Vince McMahon on Tuesday and try to get everything resolved. Last week Sting made a play in the WCW offices to try and get Luger a job and was successful enough that they were at least strongly considering it, supposedly with the caveat that Luger come in as a heel and immediately put Hulk Hogan over clean.

quote:

Terry Taylor acknowledged all the criticism thrown his way for his comments regarding Al Snow, Eddy Guerrero and Dean Malenko but defended himself saying everything he said was truthful and came from the heart, but amended one thing saying that when he said some of those guys had never proven themselves, and he said that he should have qualified it by saying they haven't proven themselves in this country. Let's see, Guerrero has been either in the main or semifinal on shows that drew consistent $200,000 in Los Angeles and near $100,000 in Chicago, San Jose and New York. But that doesn't count in this country because of course, actually I can't figure out why.

quote:

While Hulk Hogan's album hasn't cracked the Billboard top 200, for the week of 8/6, which was its first week, it debuted at No. 12 on the Childrens charts.

quote:

Randy Savage was again on Chet Coppock's NewSport show last week but didn't say much of anything. He and Hulk Hogan were on radio on 8/14 in New York where they joked around a little about Vince McMahon. The host led them in some sort of an apparent set up saying that he'd been to a transvestite party and bumped into one of their friends, Pat Patterson, and each made a subtle gay joke about casting couches and the like.

I wonder if they were intending to use a female psychic at first or if this is just a mistake.

quote:

Another angle they are running is Paul Orndorff's change back into Mr. Wonderful. I guess Orndorff goes into depression about losing again to Renegade and goes to see a psychic (who I guess is a real psychic from one of those late night 900 line ads) and she turns him into the real Mr. Wonderful and he's going to come out to really bad entrance music designed to give instant heat and always look at himself in the mirror to convince himself he's really Mr. Wonderful.

I also wonder if Disco did use the name Swinger or if Dave was confused by a report of another dancing wrestler debuting.

quote:

Some highlights of the WCW Pro tapings on 8/8 in Gainesville, GA before a sellout 1,400 (600 paid). Disco Inferno (Glen Gilburnetti) changed his ring name to Johnny Swinger (probably due to someone having trademarked that phrase) and had a match with Dave Sullivan

quote:

Ric Flair no-showed the taping due to communication problems as it was the day before he was scheduled to leave for Japan and he thought he had the tapings off.

quote:

Sherri either broke her foot or her ankle in a non-wrestling accident but is still working on crutches and they are somehow going to work the broken ankle into the storyline, like when she missed the splash and landed on her chest she developed both amnesia and a broken ankle. I believe she actually was working at home with her flowers on a ladder and fell off the ladder. So now she's chasing Rob Parker around on the crutches.

quote:

Big Bubba now is wearing a surgeon's mask so he doesn't breath Dave Sullivan's rabbit scent and start itching. He had another match with Sullivan and Sullivan got the mask off him and put it on himself, and Bubba again started scratching everywhere. I'm told the angle is really funny if you don't want to take anything about wrestling seriously.

quote:

Cobra debuted, using the cobra clutch as a finisher. Cobra is giving his military dog-tag to a ringside fan and wasn't over in the slightest. I guess the gimmick here is that Cobra is a soldier who Craig Pittman abandoned in Viet Nam. Have you figured out the logic problem. Like that Pittman would have been something like 13-years-old and Cobra 11 when the war ended for example.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Cobra had the best WCW theme ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfitScS91ww#t=2m41

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave is on top of it. But having Eric as a source obviously helps.

And also, this just in, Terry Taylor is a piece of poo poo.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
I guess I'm not doubting 1995 Dave Meltzer, but at least Wikipedia's page on Pittman (I'm still not entirely sure how I ended up there) says it was the Gulf War that Pittman abandoned Cobra during. Oh well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatguyclint posted:

I guess I'm not doubting 1995 Dave Meltzer, but at least Wikipedia's page on Pittman (I'm still not entirely sure how I ended up there) says it was the Gulf War that Pittman abandoned Cobra during. Oh well.

These stories are often from his sources in WCW. Where, for example, they don't know what the gently caress is going on until the guy walks out to the ring. Or alternatively, it's from the TV where the announcers fail to get over the angle properly. Or, it's deadpan Dave. Or, as you said, Dave got it wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

These stories are often from his sources in WCW. Where, for example, they don't know what the gently caress is going on until the guy walks out to the ring. Or alternatively, it's from the TV where the announcers fail to get over the angle properly. Or, it's deadpan Dave. Or, as you said, Dave got it wrong.

In this case it's likely either a case of the fan who sent in the taping report being wrong, or WCW realizing its gently caress up between the taping and airing and changing things in post.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The section on the Monday Night Wars is REALLY long so I won't copy too much of it and will focus more on the silliness. If you want the full run down, just subscribe!

From the August 28th 1995 Observer

quote:

Never has the new fall television season been such a turning point in American pro wrestling. World Championship Wrestling and the World Wrestling Federation, both with the Monday Night Wars and changes in syndication, and the continuation of monthly PPV shows, are going through another metamorphosis. The short term will be faster-moving storylines, much better wrestling on television, the strongest competition between the two groups to date and frequent major title changes and inevitably more wrestler movement from groups than in the past few years. For the fan, because of the competition, there will be tons of changes, most for the better, at least for the short term. Predicting how this winds up in the long term is futile, because this is a business where long term thinking nowadays is three weeks down the road.

quote:

WCW will also be taking a syndication hit, and despite Eric Bischoff's clever usage of numbers on a Chet Coppock show, when it comes to syndication, WCW's numbers are abysmal. The difference is, the company is willing to spend big bucks to buy time in the major markets, but even then most of its syndicated time slots are after midnight in the major markets. In one of the most illogical moves of the year, WCW's major syndicated show, World Wide Wrestling, is going to be changed into a show aimed at kids 12-and-under. Think about this. WCW is spending roughly $600,000 per year just to be on television in the New York market, where it's on Saturday past midnight. It is also spending a six-figure amount for the Los Angeles market, also on well past midnight. It's on one of the weakest stations in the San Francisco market at 2:30 a.m. Just how many kids 12-and-under does one expect to swell the ratings during those time slots?

quote:

But back to the bottom line. It is believed WCW will be getting $38,000 per week from the TNT network for the Monday show, far less than the $100,000 per week to cover costs WCW thought it was getting when the show was first announced. There is no way that'll even cover expenses of a taping, advertising, renting and often papering a major arena, flying in all the talent for one night, etc. if they are to be competitive technically with Raw. In other words, these shows are a money loser.

Dave predicts Luger is more likely to re-sign with the WWF.

quote:

WCW didn't seem as enamored with Luger as to grant him the position of being top heel and going from top-face to top-face, and were more interested in him putting over Hogan on an early Nitro show as to establish WCW superiority over WWF or Hogan superiority over the wannabe Hogan that never made it and then making him one of the boys. Technically his WWF contract expires in mid-October. You knew know but I'd bet on two things--1) a renewal of the contract; 2) Whatever decision he makes will be the best business decision for himself and not a decision blinded by ego.

quote:

For 9/16, Disco Inferno (who is not changing his name to Johnny Swinger as we reported last week, Swinger instead is the name of a new wrestler to the group) pinned Scott Armstrong with a neckbreaker. His gimmick is supposed to be a Honkytonk Man who is willing to work. They are doing a gimmick where he's always late in coming to the ring because he's trying to fix his hair.

quote:

Nick Bockwinkel is expected to be done away with as commissioner. Larry Zbyszko suggested himself to play heel commissioner and even Jack Tunney called looking for the open spot. Apparently Steve Planamenta attended the WCW press conference in New York inquiring about work.

quote:

Lanny Poffo is headed in as a favor to Savage, doing a Gorgeous George Jr. gimmick.

quote:

Expect Steve McMichael and Bobby Heenan on the Nitro show to do a gimmick where Heenan does physical comedy and McMichael is always as a babyface threatening him trying to copy the old Monsoon-Heenan routine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's one I laughed at:

quote:

While one can criticize Luger's wrestling ability, his ability when it comes to making money in wrestling deserves a lot of praise. It is doubtful there has ever been anyone in wrestling who has had less success as a drawing card that has made as much money in this business.

:smug:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

quote:

Expect Steve McMichael and Bobby Heenan on the Nitro show to do a gimmick where Heenan does physical comedy and McMichael is always as a babyface threatening him trying to copy the old Monsoon-Heenan routine.

Did this actually happen? Wasn't Heenan's neck made of paper at this point?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

Here's one I laughed at:

:smug:

I'm not sure the IWC was aware of how insanely over Luger was with kids at that point. Kids in my neighborhood would put other kids in the torture rack all the time. Maybe I was an isolated area.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Save Russian Jews posted:

I'm not sure the IWC was aware of how insanely over Luger was with kids at that point. Kids in my neighborhood would put other kids in the torture rack all the time. Maybe I was an isolated area.

I used to rack people, too. Beef Jerky Robot still does.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Save Russian Jews posted:

Now I am imagining these remote areas across the continent filled with huge Luger fans. Maybe places where the Lex Express stopped?

beaverseatwood
Apr 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I used to rack people, too. Beef Jerky Robot still does.

My bro threatens his 5 y/o son with a torture rack

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Racking was a thing and my friend's brother used to do it to him all the loving time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Racking is to wrestling as yard signs are to politics.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My girlfriend got a new job and she got to talking to her coworkers. Somehow the topic of wrestling came up, and it was revealed that one of her coworkers grew up knowing "a guy who became a wrestler named El Vampiro or something". The girl grew up in Thunder Bay, so it must be the actual Vampiro

Also, oddly enough, another one of her coworkers had Edge's mom as her kindergarten teacher.

Anyway I just didn't have anyone else to tell about this. I'm working on angling this into a sweet hangout with Edge and Vampiro.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wonder if she knows just how much of a collosal arsehat Vampiro is.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lex Luger racking the nWo to mount an enormous comeback in the big WCW vs nWo tag match was awesome. Lex Luger owned and was way over.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Luger beating Hogan was awesome. I fist pumped my little hands at the time.

But then he lost 5 days later at Road Wild.

I never gave a poo poo about him ever again.

:negative:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

VogeGandire posted:

I wonder if she knows just how much of a collosal arsehat Vampiro is.

He's fine with fans, it's other people in the business who need to keep away from him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CombineThresher posted:

He's fine with fans, it's other people in the business who need to keep away from him.

I would love to hear Vampiro's side in the beef between him and Jericho. Because Jericho paints him as a gossiping child who couldn't tolerate someone being comparable to him.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
After you meet Vampiro begin to tell the others in your social group how much smack he was talking about them.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

VogeGandire posted:

I would love to hear Vampiro's side in the beef between him and Jericho. Because Jericho paints him as a gossiping child who couldn't tolerate someone being comparable to him.

Based on what he said when he was a guest on Konnan's podcast, he'd probably say that he was new to the business and extremely green in the ring and trying to overcompensate because he was insanely over in Mexico despite those things. Also that he was (and is) incredibly insecure.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oatgan posted:

Lex Luger racking the nWo to mount an enormous comeback in the big WCW vs nWo tag match was awesome. Lex Luger owned and was way over.

This is all good, people keep saying that "oh kids used to put each other in torture racks" or "they cheered him in the building" the point is, he didn't make anybody go to the arena to pay to watch him perform, which is where the money is. Hence, Dave making a joke that he gets paid so well for doing so little.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

This is all good, people keep saying that "oh kids used to put each other in torture racks" or "they cheered him in the building" the point is, he didn't make anybody go to the arena to pay to watch him perform, which is where the money is. Hence, Dave making a joke that he gets paid so well for doing so little.

Wasn't Luger the first guy to bring in an agent to negotiate his pay? If so, good for him - I'm not gonna hate on a guy for making sure he had some leverage, and the amount of money most wrestlers get paid in such an unforgiving business is shamefully low.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

This is all good, people keep saying that "oh kids used to put each other in torture racks" or "they cheered him in the building" the point is, he didn't make anybody go to the arena to pay to watch him perform, which is where the money is.

Is it always possible to tell, though? I mean, sure, it's obvious sometimes, John Cena is clearly a bigger draw than Justin Gabriel, but with a high-card-but-not-quite-over-the-top guy like Luger it's hard to say. I'm always skeptical of "never drew a dime" claims.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Luger was one of THE WCW guys. Where is all this coming from? I miss the torture rack something fierce. Ryback should be killing people with it, god damnit :bahgawd:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is it always possible to tell, though? I mean, sure, it's obvious sometimes, John Cena is clearly a bigger draw than Justin Gabriel, but with a high-card-but-not-quite-over-the-top guy like Luger it's hard to say. I'm always skeptical of "never drew a dime" claims.
Meltzer is pretty good with paid attendance and buyrates.

There's always some guesswork in determining why the numbers are down but they probably show that business fell when Luger was on top.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I would never go to a wrestling show for just one guy. That's stupid... people would go WCW shows for the cruiser weights just as much to see Sting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, I would never go to a wrestling show for just one guy. That's stupid... people would go WCW shows for the cruiser weights just as much to see Sting.

Except fans do. They go to shows for the big star, or stars. The undercard just makes the show more entertaining so they feel more satisfied once they are there.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

This is anecdotal, but my grandma got me into WCW wrestling during the boom, and her favorite wrestle was Sexy Lexy. You don't have a super over crowd response and a widely imitated finishing move and a steady spot in the main event without being something of a draw. Luger was way way over in the time period.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They would also look at the amount of mech sold, and Luger never sold that much

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Luger was massively over, but he was always expected (and primed) to be the next Hulk Hogan so his whole career felt like a disappointment at the time.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

They would also look at the amount of mech sold, and Luger never sold that much

He had really lovely merch.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Saul Goode posted:

Luger was massively over, but he was always expected (and primed) to be the next Hulk Hogan so his whole career felt like a disappointment at the time.

That's quite true. He was pretty overshadowed by the fact that while he was big and popular he was never as big and popular as people believed he should have been.

When Luger beat Hogan in Detroit in 1997, the crowd went absolutely insane. I mean, loving crazy and while a lot of that was to the momentum of the nWo, the crowd genuinely believed that Luger could beat Hogan.

Unfortunately it was just a way to trick the fans.

(My favourite part of the celebration was Stevie Richards coming to the ring and looking like he didn't want to be there at all)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Luger was a house show draw a couple times in his career and never really a PPV draw. When he had big WCW PPV main events the shows did not do that well. His WWF run was a bust. He was fine as a #2 or #3 babyface, but that's about it.

I loved Luger in the late 90s. I loved the Torture Rack. So did a lot of people. Just because he wasn't a moneymaker for WCW doesn't mean he wasn't popular.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Except fans do. They go to shows for the big star, or stars. The undercard just makes the show more entertaining so they feel more satisfied once they are there.

Those fans are stupid. :colbert:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Those fans are stupid. :colbert:

A well-rounded card is a cool thing to have but without that Money Match headliner it's hard to want to spend money on it. If what's advertised as the biggest and most time-consuming match on the card isn't really appealing it can drag the whole show down easily, and can prop up a lamer card in the process. This is way every show, be it boxing, wrestling or MMA, has worked ever.

Anecdotal, I know, but I pretty much exclusively buy RoH iPPV's and my hype levels for PWG shows (which I will buy anyway) are almost exclusively based on what is the advertised main event, even if the rest of the show will likely be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Honestly if you were a kid watching WCW during Luger's run against the nWo and you DIDN'T rack friends/brothers/cousins/whoever you could I dare say you were a Bad Wrestling Fan. :colbert: