Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is slightly incredible, but it will help non-Americans understand what :911::clint: means:
http://jalopnik.com/5954826/watch-texas-test-its-85-mph-highways-cameras-with-a-2205-mph-blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hennessey may be a bunch of assholes but the noise that Camaro makes going by is beautiful as hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

in_absentia posted:

Edit: according to my dad, mine is a RS/SS/Z28 and 1972 was the only year you could order it that way. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Don't know about the SS package, but if you got an order in that would be built before January 1 1973, you could still get the split-bumper on a '73. I nearly ended up with my dad's first new car as my project, which was a '73 with the RS, Z28, and LT packages - and apparently if you did that, they put LT badges on instead of RS or Z28 :downs:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

jamal posted:

See this volvo?

Here's the dyno plot (at the rear wheels):

(horsepower and lb-ft you jerks)

Reverse image search came up empty...what's under the hood? Is the build online?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Reverse image search came up empty...what's under the hood? Is the build online?

Here's his build thread on Turbobricks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bucephalus posted:

This:

And yes:
http://brickspeed.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=952

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was being a golf tdi in traffic today, bumper sticker read:

No smoke
No poke

Faith in humanity: slowly restoring.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder what it's like to ride in. I'm thinking "wind noise."

I haven't taken it very fast, and it's got a fifth the power, but my 240's actually very quiet :frogbon:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Cakefool posted:

I was being a golf tdi in traffic today, bumper sticker read:

No smoke
No poke

Faith in humanity: slowly restoring.

How was it being a golf tdi? Are you always a golf tdi or are you sometimes a regular golf?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Valt posted:

How was it being a golf tdi? Are you always a golf tdi or are you sometimes a regular golf?
If it's really early in the morning, he's got a red I.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:allears:

Behind. Bugger clever keyboard apps.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I had no idea Mercedes had a Classics Restore Center but i really want to go now.
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2012/10/mercedes-benz-classics-center.php

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

I had no idea Mercedes had a Classics Restore Center but i really want to go now.
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2012/10/mercedes-benz-classics-center.php

Working at a Mercedes dealer. I have had to call there a few times to get some parts or some information for a few of the local body shops around here. It's just two guys who work parts (dealer support anyway) there and the amount of knowledge they have is amazing. I would like to just pick their brains for a day.

Content.

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2012

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

quote:

A driver maneuvers his classic American car along a wet road as a wave crashes against the Malecon in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Maybe earlier than that, definitely 2 door, softer around the edges not so angular. Im still searching google for something closer.

Edit: located. Early 70s 128 coupe as seen here. Not on my laptop or Id copy it to imgur.

http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/990913/std_1970_fiat_128_group.jpg

I had a '78 Fiat 128 four-door as my first car way back in 1986. Slow as poo poo with the 1300, but it was built like a tank, a fact proven when my buddy managed to roll the silly thing over, and the only window that broke was the windshield. I kind of miss the little bugger. Of all the cars I've owned, it had the straightest body...
http://wright-here.net/cars/78_fiat.html

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Simkin posted:

I can vouch for this - I grew up in that town. Haha. Now, I live in the antithesis of that - Edmonton, AB, where you're either driving a bro truck, or wishing you owned a bro truck but haven't landed that sweet job in the oil patch yet. :ughh:

I'm in Bro Truck capital. Grande Prairie, AB. In my defense though, I don't have a bro truck and I am AI as it can get.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

jonathan posted:

I'm in Bro Truck capital. Grande Prairie, AB. In my defense though, I don't have a bro truck and I am AI as it can get.

Diesel powered, AWD wagon with a 5-speed?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

jonathan posted:

Grande Prairie, AB.

Pretty much the same here in FSJ, BC. That and welding trucks. Lots of welding trucks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cygni posted:

Hennessey may be a bunch of assholes but the noise that Camaro makes going by is beautiful as hell.
Clearly that road is safe at much higher speeds than posted. Why is the speed limit so low???

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

in_absentia posted:

Actually that is a 1970 "split bumper" RS/Z28. I have a 72/73 (72 and a half) RS/Z28 with the split bumper. From 1970-73 you could order a Z28 Camaro with the RS appearance package to get the split front bumper. You can get a plain jane V6 model with the split bumper by adding the RS package.

Sorry for spergin' I just know a shitload about these. Mine belonged to my uncle and back in the early 80s the battery caught fire, then it sat until like 1990 in a garage. My dad and I lovingly restored it and it was my first car in high school back in 96-97.

Edit: according to my dad, mine is a RS/SS/Z28 and 1972 was the only year you could order it that way. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

No it is not. It is a '78 with a '70½ glassfibre front end, steel rear panel and a modified rear window frame.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
'68 "Hemi"Cuda

Father+Son project over the course of 7 years (yikes)

At home:

At SEMA:

The Engine:

(572 Hemi, 825hp on 10:1 compression, 775ft/lb torque at the rear wheels)

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Do you have a link to more info or pictures?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Bang Me Please posted:

Do you have a link to more info or pictures?

I can take some more pictures when I get home- what kind of info are you looking for? We don't have this up on a site at this time...

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Omniblivion posted:

I can take some more pictures when I get home- what kind of info are you looking for? We don't have this up on a site at this time...

I just really like it, was just wondering where your inspirations come from for the final product. The paint scheme is wicked cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Man, I love 80's Pro Street.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

VikingSkull posted:

I see the 80s in the paint but the stance makes me think more 70s and I like it

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Bang Me Please posted:

I just really like it, was just wondering where your inspirations come from for the final product. The paint scheme is wicked cool.

Good timing for another pro street post(s) above this one- the 'cuda was actually made with pro street in mind. It's a fully street legal "pro street" car that runs on 91 octane. It's got a full 16-point rollcage in there- kind of a pain to get into and out of because of how big I am- and most of the required components of a pro street car. Obviously there are a few things that aren't "legal" on the tracks, but it is pretty drat close. I'll take some more shots when I get out of the office.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

VikingSkull posted:

Rick Dobbertin :allears:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bucephalus posted:

Rick Dobbertin :allears:

Supercharger? Check.

Twin turbos? Check.

Nitrous? Check.

Rear axle hard mounted to the chassis with no suspension? Check.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well it will be good at burnouts at least.

Here's some time attack stuff since the biggest event of the year is coming up. GST just posted some new numbers

1178 awhp on what is considered to be a low reading mustang dyno.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I still don't 'get' time attack.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cygni posted:

I still don't 'get' time attack.

You drive around a track and the guy with the best time wins? What is there to not get?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Throatwarbler posted:

You drive around a track and the guy with the best time wins? What is there to not get?

If you're going to go that crazy with aero and engine mods, whats the point of keeping the silhouette body shape of a street car? You could got a hell of a lot faster with a totally ground up aero design, and you are already so far out that any resemblance or relevance to street cars is basically a joke.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cygni posted:

If you're going to go that crazy with aero and engine mods, whats the point of keeping the silhouette body shape of a street car? You could got a hell of a lot faster with a totally ground up aero design, and you are already so far out that any resemblance or relevance to street cars is basically a joke.

Well the various leagues and whatnot do have rules for it, and those cars are just going up to the limit of the rules like what happens when any racing series gets big. I agree it would be nice if every race was Lemons.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cygni posted:

Because the silhouette is one of the very few rules they have to obey - and as a result they are lunatic cars? What's there not to love?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the various leagues and whatnot do have rules for it, and those cars are just going up to the limit of the rules like what happens when any racing series gets big. I agree it would be nice if every race was Lemons.
If there weren't any classing or rules, time attack would devolve into who can spend the most money on their car. Not that it isn't like that already, but at least classing puts some modicum of a cap on spending and gives people with modest budgets a chance to be competitive.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

At last, someone with a legitimate need for an automatic trans.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have no clue what this is but it looks pretty loving cool. Looks like an Ariel Atom and a Zonda combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
KTM X-Bow