Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Are you really criticizing the criticism of my criticism? :wtc: Goodbye goons with spoons I tried. :smith:
No, i'm wondering why you're interpreting criticism as a personal attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Are you really criticizing the criticism of my criticism? :wtc: Goodbye goons with spoons I tried. :smith:

Um, this is a discussion forum not a recipe gloryhole. Please do not be mad that there is discussion.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Death Pits of Crap posted:

Just try buying and soaking the beans yourself dude. Also you already are cutting up tomatoes, sub more fresh ones for the cans of tomato product in saline solution. Nothing is really worth paying for the "convenience," except maybe those huge bags of factory-separated garlic.

Canned tomatoes are great. They're certainly preferable to the unripe and flavorless fresh tomatoes you get 9 months out of the year. Fresh tomatoes should be understood to be a strictly seasonal food. Canned tomatoes are generally picked at the peak of ripeness, and shipped a very short distance to a canning facility, so in fact they have much better tomato flavor and are much closer to the ideal of a tomato than anything you can get between September and May.

He's not paying for convenience, you're paying for lovely "fresh" tomatoes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Death Pits of Crap posted:

Also you already are cutting up tomatoes, sub more fresh ones for the cans of tomato product in saline solution. Nothing is really worth paying for the "convenience," except maybe those huge bags of factory-separated garlic.

Canned tomatoes are better than fresh tomatoes for like 9 months of the year.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Well, poo poo. I'll make sure to buy those instead next time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MasterFugu posted:

how do you overcook ground meat? even if you're burning it slightly, that's not really bad.
also, canned tomatoes are fine(if you like that kind of thing in your chili) but I'd recommend avoiding canned tomatoes that contain calcium chloride as an ingredient; as a firming agent, it takes much longer for tomatoes treated with it to break down.

As a general rule if you purchase tinned tomatoes made in Italy you are safe from undesirable additives. Personally, I think tinned tomatoes are fine but there is seldom a reason to use tomato paste in cooking.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so I've whipped up a batch of chili for tomorrow, but it's lacking in the taste department.
The cube steak dissolves in your mouth, it's got a ton of heat, but it's almost bland.

Here's what's in so far:
  • 2 lbs cube steak
  • 2 lbs tomatoes
  • 3 onions
  • Pepper assortment (habeneros, green, red, jalapenos, serrano, anaheim, chiles)
  • 2 ground dried anchos
  • 32 oz beef broth
  • 12 oz Imperial stout
  • Liberal amounts of cumin and black pepper

I'm thinking... throw in another beer, triple up on the cumin, add some garlic... thoughts?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so I've whipped up a batch of chili for tomorrow, but it's lacking in the taste department.
The cube steak dissolves in your mouth, it's got a ton of heat, but it's almost bland.

Here's what's in so far:
  • 2 lbs cube steak
  • 2 lbs tomatoes
  • 3 onions
  • Pepper assortment (habeneros, green, red, jalapenos, serrano, anaheim, chiles)
  • 2 ground dried anchos
  • 32 oz beef broth
  • 12 oz Imperial stout
  • Liberal amounts of cumin and black pepper

I'm thinking... throw in another beer, triple up on the cumin, add some garlic... thoughts?

Pretty much everything you have in terms of chiles has a decent amount of heat. If it was me, what I'd do is grab some large, low-heat chiles like guajillos and make some chili powder out of them to add to the batch. I might also add something sweet like chocolate or even brown sugar or molasses, to help tone down the heat a little bit.

And of course, are you using salt? If you forgot the salt, that would actually be the first place to go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also acid. Try adding the juice of a lime or two to your chili to undo the bland factor.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Does anyone know a good place to order dried chilis on the internet (in the US)? The grocery stores I can get to don't have much of a selection of them, and they seem pretty expensive. Maybe that's the best I can do, but if there's somewhere online I can order larger quantities for cheaper that would be great.

Also, roughly what weight of dried chilis should I be using for a batch of chili with 3 or 4 pounds of meat? I know that would vary based on what else goes into it, but I'd like have a rough idea of how much to get so that I don't have too little or way too much. (Most of the recipes here call for some number of tablespoons of powder, but I don't know how to convert that to some number of ounces of dried chilis).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
http://www.penderys.com/chile-pods.html is your best friend for ordering chilies or powders, or a ton of other stuff really.

I would probably estimate 1.5 ounces per pound of meat, maybe. Should be plenty to be safe, without being a ridiculous amount left over.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Does anyone know a good place to order dried chilis on the internet (in the US)? The grocery stores I can get to don't have much of a selection of them, and they seem pretty expensive. Maybe that's the best I can do, but if there's somewhere online I can order larger quantities for cheaper that would be great.

Also, roughly what weight of dried chilis should I be using for a batch of chili with 3 or 4 pounds of meat? I know that would vary based on what else goes into it, but I'd like have a rough idea of how much to get so that I don't have too little or way too much. (Most of the recipes here call for some number of tablespoons of powder, but I don't know how to convert that to some number of ounces of dried chilis).

You might try finding hispanic or asian markets if your grocery chain doesn't carry a decent selection.

I use about a little less than a pound of dried peppers with 3-4 lbs of meat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/real-deal-plant-strong-chili-with-beans/ Just for laughs, I think I'm going to use this as an example of how not to make chili. My mom got all excited and linked it to me last week and I just can't help but chuckle every time I see it. It is basically bean soup with a bit of chili powder added being billed as "vegetarian chili". I especially like where it says to leave the seeds in the anchos and guajillos when you grind them up to make it hotter. Not gonna touch all the effort put into trying to make up for the lack of beef, the timidness of the seasoning is too funny without getting into that can of worms.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Looks like it could be a good bean soup, or a dip maybe.

I say this as a huge fan of beans in chili.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I've looked everywhere for dried chilis to make my own chili powder with no luck - are there any good substitutes to it without using the store-bought crap.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Where do you live that there are no dried chilis? I live in California, do you want me to send you chilis? I did it for Dane a year or two ago, since he lives in the blighted northern wastes.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Help, I'm looking for the beans and rice recipe that I think was posted in this thread, it includes pickled pork...I think?

I just bought a whole bunch of pork and I want to make this recipe very much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

femcastra posted:

Help, I'm looking for the beans and rice recipe that I think was posted in this thread, it includes pickled pork...I think?

I remember this too and would also like to get the recipe. It might have been in the poor people thread?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Kenning posted:

Where do you live that there are no dried chilis? I live in California, do you want me to send you chilis? I did it for Dane a year or two ago, since he lives in the blighted northern wastes.

I can find fresh ones, but not dried ones. I live in Canada.

Hoyt
Mar 23, 2005

Too cool for school
I have been drying peppers that I grew all summer. Put them on a baking stone, or a cookie sheet, I baked them at 220* for maybe an hour, and turn the stove off and just let it sit, without opening the door to keep the heat in. I'll go through this process several times on a Saturday or Sunday when I'm home all day and can watch them so they don't burn or turn completely black. Repeat until they're crispy. If some are still soft, take the crispy ones out and keep going with the ones that aren't done. I've minced the peppers first, and done them whole as well, and I've found doing them whole is a lot easier. I use a mortar and pestle to crush up what I need. Keep the rest in a big ziplock bag.

I do this with onion and garlic to make onion and garlic powder too. Mince those first.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

femcastra posted:

bunnielab posted:

I remember this too and would also like to get the recipe. It might have been in the poor people thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3340181&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post390297488 this was the closest thing I found.

fyi: to search the forums using :google: just bang 'site:forums.somethingawful.com search terms here' into google.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Also, roughly what weight of dried chilis should I be using for a batch of chili with 3 or 4 pounds of meat?

I'd say I do about a half pound of pre-trimming dried chilis per 2 pounds of meat. Trim the dried chilis up, rehydrate however (water, stock, beer, etc), drain and puree into a thick paste. Then I just spoon some of that into the pot throughout the day. On a standard crockpot, maybe 2.5 pounds of meat, I usually end up using about 1 to 1.5 pints of paste.

But it's all good, if I get to an hour of cooking left and I have a little paste left over I just throw it in there. :guinness:

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

physeter posted:

I'd say I do about a half pound of pre-trimming dried chilis per 2 pounds of meat. Trim the dried chilis up, rehydrate however (water, stock, beer, etc), drain and puree into a thick paste. Then I just spoon some of that into the pot throughout the day. On a standard crockpot, maybe 2.5 pounds of meat, I usually end up using about 1 to 1.5 pints of paste.

But it's all good, if I get to an hour of cooking left and I have a little paste left over I just throw it in there. :guinness:

I just dump it all in at the start, but I save about two cups of the liquid from the rehydrating. It works good if you cook the chili down too quickly and need to add liquid.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

cornface posted:

I just dump it all in at the start, but I save about two cups of the liquid from the rehydrating. It works good if you cook the chili down too quickly and need to add liquid.

After an accident involving a fridge soaked in chili water and a gf's white blouse I swore never to do this again, but it is a good tip.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

physeter posted:

soaked ... chili water ... gf's white blouse

This sounds like the tastiest wet t-shirt contest ever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

femcastra posted:

I posted this recipe recently in some thread somewhere, perhaps that's the one you're thinking of?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

MasterFugu posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3340181&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post390297488 this was the closest thing I found.

fyi: to search the forums using :google: just bang 'site:forums.somethingawful.com search terms here' into google.

Yayyyy! Thank you also for the tip on searching.

Kenning posted:

I posted this recipe recently in some thread somewhere, perhaps that's the one you're thinking of?

Now I have a tough decision to make.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Spent the day making one of the recipes in the thread a couple weeks back. I was pretty happy with the results (made homemade chili powder recipe on GWS wiki and followed mindphlux's recommendation to grill the meat). Next time I'll probably change the chilis used for my powder as it was certainly more kick than flavor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I would eat the gently caress out of that chili goddamn.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: real chili spotted

sorry about the spiciness, though I guess it wasn't my fault if you were following a GWS wiki recipe.

it's really easy to overdo the spiciness - I use pretty mild chilies in my powder mix so I can ramp up the heat later on as desired with late additions, and still load it the heck up with powder.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Before I knew what the gently caress I was doing I once used thai chili powder because hey chili powder is chili powder right?

Nope

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Sadly too it that it tends to get a little hotter after a night in the fridge.

The fix for this is to eat it with a ton of crackers or corn chips.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I think the real problem was that I did not have a really strong intuition on proper proportions for each of the individual chilies I purchased. Next time I think I'm just going to chew a tiny piece of each and judge form there on how many to use. I also added some fresh coffee grounds to my powder which added some nice complexity to the chili in my opinion.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

WaterIsPoison posted:

I think the real problem was that I did not have a really strong intuition on proper proportions for each of the individual chilies I purchased. Next time I think I'm just going to chew a tiny piece of each and judge form there on how many to use. I also added some fresh coffee grounds to my powder which added some nice complexity to the chili in my opinion.

Until you get the hang of it, maybe try adding the spicy part of your powder mix separately. Put the cumin/garlic/onion/whatever in to taste and then start adding the hot stuff a tablespoon at a time.

Aim for a low amount of heat until it has been simmering for a bit and then ramp it up over the course of cooking.

If all else fails, develop a taste for sour cream and crying when you poop.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

WaterIsPoison posted:

Do this over the course of a day or two and take notes. After the first few peppers you are going to loose the ability to taste very much.

I am always making stuff too hot to eat and overcoming the urge to just dump peppers in is an ongoing struggle.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have had this plan for a long time to use a food mill to make a chile sauce sort of how you would make a tomato sauce. Rather than just put chunks of chiles in and dried chili powder, I would make a complete sauce to braise the meat in that would still thicken over time until what I had was chile-flavored meat chunks with a sauce almost glazed over it. I just have not gotten around to buying a food mill ugh.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

signalnoise posted:

I have had this plan for a long time to use a food mill to make a chile sauce sort of how you would make a tomato sauce. Rather than just put chunks of chiles in and dried chili powder, I would make a complete sauce to braise the meat in that would still thicken over time until what I had was chile-flavored meat chunks with a sauce almost glazed over it. I just have not gotten around to buying a food mill ugh.

This isn't chili, but it is a spicy braised pork stew that is absolutely delicious and might tide you over until you get your mill.

Burmese Red Pork Stew

It is seriously delicious.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hell yes I have always wanted a use for sambal oelek

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Hell yes I have always wanted a use for sambal oelek

what? how does one not have a purpose for sambal oelek? it is literally chile in paste form. use it to make things spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The only time I've seen it for sale it was extremely salty. I assume this is standard but it made me feel it was somewhat limited