Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

BlueArmyMan posted:

On the subject of Shawn Michaels, I was wondering earlier, has he ever done a tour of Japan and/or Mexico, outside of WWE? Seems like 90% of wrestlers have, especially of his generation.

AFAIK the closest he came was reffing a match in FMW back in 1999.

The story behind that (going by BAHU who's about the best source of FMW stuff you'll ever get) is that WWF and FMW had a relationship for a while via IWA owner Victor Quinones; Shamrock and Vader worked a match in FMW in '97. They were looking for something big for their Yokohama Arena show and originally Dr. Death was supposed to work the show for them but pulled out because of loyalty to Baba. Supposedly that's what led to him getting fired. So they got Michaels to ref the H vs. Hayabusa II (Mr. Gannosuke) match and worked out a deal with him that in return a couple of Michaels' students like Danielson, Cade, and Michael Shane did some stuff with FMW afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

UndergroundHero posted:

I know it's Wrestlezone, and not sure how much you can trust Kevin Kelly, but strangely enough he talked about this today. http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/263079-ryback-vs-cm-punk-thoughts

He says Austin used Shawn to persuade Vince that Austin/Rock would be the best match.

I'm skeptical Austin would use HBK as a proxy to speak to anyone. Also comparing Ryback to Mick Foley in any conceivable way offends me. :argh:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Timby posted:

That's probably for the better, honestly. After the I Quit match at the Royal Rumble, and the Last Man Standing match at St. Valentine's Day Massacre (where he dislocated his shoulder), plus his lingering knee injuries which were long overdue for surgery, he wouldn't have added anything to the match -- given that he could barely walk during his match with Big Show at WrestleMania, he probably would have detracted from the main event, if anything. I mean, Foley was in bad shape at that point ... I'm not even sure he took any time off after getting beaten to hell and back at King of the Ring '98.

The Big Show match at Mania is terrible, but Foley takes that same sick "I am hanging onto a giant dude's back, oh poo poo he's jumping back on top of me" bump he did with Vader and it's horrifying looking.

Also, the sad image of Mick gamely trying to get to the ring to ref the last bit of the Rock-Austin match.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
What is the deal with Ryback's fake pyro?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

TheOneTrueKing posted:

What is the deal with Ryback's fake pyro?

Fake pyro? It's just a boom with no flash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Quantrill posted:

just a boom with no flash.

Ryback in a nutshell.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Anyone seen Takeshi Miike's first movie? It's called A Human Murder Weapon, and it stars Megumi Kudo, Onita, and Combat Toyoda of FMW fame? I can't find it anywhere.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God Of Paradise posted:

Anyone seen Takeshi Miike's first movie? It's called A Human Murder Weapon, and it stars Megumi Kudo, Onita, and Combat Toyoda of FMW fame? I can't find it anywhere.

If Onita doesn't take a flip bump onto exploding barbed wire, it's not worth it.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

God Of Paradise posted:

I have a bootleg VCD of this with no subs. I can look at it and pretend I understand Japanese, if that's cool.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Okay, so for years I've been watching wrestling off and on for extended periods of time, depending on where I lived and if I had a TV channel with wrestling available. Over the last two years, I got back into it, had a lot of catching up to do since 2001 - I didn't even watch the Invasion angle, now I watch enough to know what's going on. So, I'm just looking for matches that are worth watching - suggestions and/or links are welcomed.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Watch The Undertaker's WrestleMania matches from 25, 26, 27 and 28. They are all on Netflix Instant right now with 'Undertaker: The Streak'.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I don't have Netflix, I'm in Croatia. Taker's WM matches, that much I do know and have seen them, but thanks. I'm looking for great, but not so well known matches. Example: Edge VS Eddie Guerrero, ladder match, SmackDown, 2002.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Rad R. posted:

I don't have Netflix, I'm in Croatia. Taker's WM matches, that much I do know and have seen them, but thanks. I'm looking for great, but not so well known matches. Example: Edge VS Eddie Guerrero, ladder match, SmackDown, 2002.

You may find this list helpful - http://floydscabana.blogspot.ca/2010/09/pwt-top-100-matches-of-decade-2000-2009.html

Should be able to find most of them on Youtube or Dailymotion.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

Watch The Undertaker's WrestleMania matches from 25, 26, 27 and 28. They are all on Netflix Instant right now with 'Undertaker: The Streak'.

Do they have the full matches? I assumed they just had the docs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maxwell Lord posted:

Do they have the full matches? I assumed they just had the docs.

They have both! It is a season with 21 episodes comprising all the matches and the DVD content.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah pretty much every Undertaker Wrestlemania match from 25 onwards is a classic. In that same spirit of must-see Wrestlemania matches, Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle from Wrestlemania 21 and Michaels vs. Flair from 24 are both virtually flawless matches.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's the origin of or meaning behind Cliff Compton's "Mr. 1859" nickname?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm wondering how much exaggeration goes on with wrestlers heights and weights. It seems the bigger they are, the more exaggeration there is.
I ask because WWE.com has Giant Gonzales height listed in their superstars section as 8-foot.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Thauros posted:

What's the origin of or meaning behind Cliff Compton's "Mr. 1859" nickname?

He was on episode 18 and episode 59 of Colt Cabana's podcast.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I posted:

I'm wondering how much exaggeration goes on with wrestlers heights and weights. It seems the bigger they are, the more exaggeration there is.
I ask because WWE.com has Giant Gonzales height listed in their superstars section as 8-foot.

Gonzalez was legit about 7'5, but that period in wrestling was a lot more exaggerated than it is today. Nowadays it's usually just a couple inches tacked on and 10-20 pounds added.

That's what I think anyway, I'm probably way off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aubergine Mage posted:

Gonzalez was legit about 7'5, but that period in wrestling was a lot more exaggerated than it is today. Nowadays it's usually just a couple inches tacked on and 10-20 pounds added.

There are less "Giants" today, so the exaggeration (apart from weight where there is an arbitrary minimum no one is below) is slightly less.

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011

Aubergine Mage posted:

He was legitimately 7'7" (source)

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

He was legitimately 7'7" (source)

Ah, gotcha. I'd heard both but 7'5 sounded more plausible for some reason

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Perry Normal posted:

You may find this list helpful - http://floydscabana.blogspot.ca/2010/09/pwt-top-100-matches-of-decade-2000-2009.html

Thank you kind sir! Awesome list.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle from Wrestlemania 21 and Michaels vs. Flair from 24 are both virtually flawless matches.

I can see your point on HBK-Angle, but I can't bring myself to agree regarding HBK-Flair.

I think it was a good match, but hardly 'virtually flawless' - Flair almost botching bridging out of the pin attempt in itself disqualifies it from that classification, IMO.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. It's still tremendous, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Perry Normal posted:

That list just makes me irrationally angry because it reminds me that Meltzer only gave HHH/Cactus Jack ****1/2.

Which I call shenanigans all over.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

iirc Shawn botches a moonsault right out the gate and broke a couple ribs too

The storytelling is pretty much perfect though and that's what actually matters

oatgan fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 29, 2012

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Granted, I did see some of the matches on that list, and those that I did see are personal favorites. The TLC matches, Jericho VS HBK at WM19, Austin VS The Rock at WM17, the Edge/Eddie match I previously mentioned, and a couple of others. Recently, I've enjoyed Cena VS Punk at MITB 2011, Punk VS Cena at NOC 2012, Lesnar's two recent matches were good, and I loved Undertaker VS HHH at this years Mania, which was a pleasant surprise, because I expected a slow, tired match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

That list just makes me irrationally angry because it reminds me that Meltzer only gave HHH/Cactus Jack ****1/2.

Which I call shenanigans all over.

That is a very, very good rating. It's also a subjective list.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I posted:

The thing is, as long as you are exaggerating one guys height, you have to exaggerate everyones height. Because if you claim that your 6 foot tall champion is 6'4" and then you hire a guy who is legit 6'4", you have to either bill him as 6'8" or try to persuade the crowd that the champ is perpetually just slightly further away than he appears.

I've seen an indie fed that was really bad for it. Their champion/booker at the time was billed as being about 6'4", then they hired a friend of mine who was in real life 6'6", and yet he was a 6 inches taller than the champion (who was wearing 2" lifts in his boots apparently). You can get away with adding an inch or so and rounding weights up, but after a certain point it just makes you look really insecure.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My god, he just fell off the stage! That's a 15 foot high drop King!

*EMTs walk by and their head reaches the top of the stage*

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SiKboy posted:

The thing is, as long as you are exaggerating one guys height, you have to exaggerate everyones height. Because if you claim that your 6 foot tall champion is 6'4" and then you hire a guy who is legit 6'4", you have to either bill him as 6'8" or try to persuade the crowd that the champ is perpetually just slightly further away than he appears.

On the most recent Smackdown, during the Barrett/Orton match, the commentators mentioned that Wade Barrett is 6'7", but he's visibly around the same height as Orton, who is billed at 6'4".

triplexpac posted:

My god, he just fell off the stage! That's a 15 foot high drop King!

*EMTs walk by and their head reaches the top of the stage*

THAT'S GOTTA BE A 30 FOOT LADDER *the ladder is maybe two times the height of the wrestlers*

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Oatgan posted:

iirc Shawn botches a moonsault right out the gate and broke a couple ribs too

The storytelling is pretty much perfect though and that's what actually matters

But how many flippies did they do?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

SiKboy posted:

You can get away with adding an inch or so and rounding weights up, but after a certain point it just makes you look really insecure.

So Andre the Giant didn't weigh three and a half tons when Hogan bodyslammed him to death in front of the entire population of the Milky Way? :sigh:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So Andre the Giant didn't weigh three and a half tons when Hogan bodyslammed him to death in front of the entire population of the Milky Way? :sigh:

I like to think that with Andre they rounded down. He only LOOKS 7 feet tall because his incredible gravitational field bent the light around him. His singlet was actually white but looked black because it was within his event horizon and no light could escape it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Andre had a gargantuan skull and hands, if you stood him next to a guy of comparable height but normal proportions like Big Show, Andre would still look more like a giant.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did anyone else use Michelle McCool's "You're Not Enough For Me" theme song? Talk of Diva themes in the WWE thread made me think of that one. Team LayCool using it was the best, but it was and odd fit for when McCool was a face before that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Did anyone else use Michelle McCool's "You're Not Enough For Me" theme song? Talk of Diva themes in the WWE thread made me think of that one. Team LayCool using it was the best, but it was and odd fit for when McCool was a face before that.

I just find weird that almost all the diva themes with lyrics have to do with having boyfriends or something. Like the the only diva theme i can think of that isn't about Being Insatiable and needing more Boyfriends or something similar is like Trish's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

triplexpac posted:

It was Torrie Wilson's before Michelle had it, but I don't think anyone's had it since (unless you count Layla briefly using it when she returned, before being given Tiffany's old theme).