Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

b0nes posted:

Don't forget about radium suppositories.

The early twentieth century was a pioneering time when men and women were truly bold enough to test every new discovery by shoving it up their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sagebrush posted:

Titanium isn't classified as a heavy metal, it's entirely non-toxic (though it does burn spectacularly as a powder) and the specific compound you're thinking of, titanium dioxide, is so harmless that it is regularly put in food and candy as a whitener. :ssh:

Silly me not looking up what the definition of a heavy metal is. I know titanium is harmless though, because it's what you put in tableware glazes and toothpaste. What I was trying to say was most ceramics are made from harmful things, which they are. The silica in clay is abrasive on your lungs if clay is allowed to dry out and become air-bourne, lead makes pretty glazes, and so on. Glazers in factories used to make their whole families sick because they'd be up to their arms in glaze all day and take home glaze powder on their clothes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

redmercer posted:

Man, I bet things were really terrible until they figured out how to make a condom without any seams.

Lambskin condoms were used for centuries, so they must work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jedit posted:

Lambskin condoms were used for centuries, so they must work.

Lambskin (lamb intestine, actually) has tiny pores in it that are too small for sperm to fit through, but big enough for viruses and some bacteria to enter, so they don't actually prevent STDs, just pregnancy. Also they smell kind of weird.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
They're a lifesafer if the woman has a latex allergy though.

Also if she doesn't have any STDs.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

baw posted:

Polyurethane or polyisoprene are better alternatives in that case.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

madlilnerd posted:

Silly me not looking up what the definition of a heavy metal is. I know titanium is harmless though, because it's what you put in tableware glazes and toothpaste. What I was trying to say was most ceramics are made from harmful things, which they are. The silica in clay is abrasive on your lungs if clay is allowed to dry out and become air-bourne, lead makes pretty glazes, and so on. Glazers in factories used to make their whole families sick because they'd be up to their arms in glaze all day and take home glaze powder on their clothes.

Really that's true of a lot of hazardous old materials/processes. They pose no real danger to the end consumer in the targeted product, but the people making them in contact with volatile forms or inhaling powders and whatever all day were in real danger.

Similarly, until the 1950s or so X-ray fitting devices were common in shoe stores. Put your foot in, look right in and see how it fits you! People today will gasp and say "oh, all those customers in danger from radiation!" and while it wasn't exactly healthy it wasn't that dangerous if you kept kids from just fooling around with the machine all day: the main risk was to employees who were working next to poorly shielded X-ray machines all day, every day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baw posted:

And if she enjoys haggis.

I knew that lambskin condoms didn't stop STDs, but as that wasn't the original purpose of the item I didn't feel it worth mentioning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Polyurethane or polyisoprene are better alternatives in that case.

Polyurethane sucks, it's crinkly and doesn't stretch. Polyisoprene is great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thulsa Doom posted:

The early twentieth century was a pioneering time when men and women were truly bold enough to test every new discovery by shoving it up their asses.

Didn't the dude behind Kellogg think that all his products would be best used shot up the rear end?

For a good hunk of modern life we were pretty sure, as a culture, that the secret to immortality was just finding the right mixture of something going up your butt.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I can't fathom the idea of wrapping a bunch of lamb intestine around my dong and going to work. That's just so grody.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Didn't the dude behind Kellogg think that all his products would be best used shot up the rear end?

For a good hunk of modern life we were pretty sure, as a culture, that the secret to immortality was just finding the right mixture of something going up your butt.

The Mayans are known to have practiced the art of the beer enema. Sticking things up our butts goes back a long time.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Killer robot posted:

Similarly, until the 1950s or so X-ray fitting devices were common in shoe stores. Put your foot in, look right in and see how it fits you! People today will gasp and say "oh, all those customers in danger from radiation!" and while it wasn't exactly healthy it wasn't that dangerous if you kept kids from just fooling around with the machine all day: the main risk was to employees who were working next to poorly shielded X-ray machines all day, every day.

Bill Bryson mentions this in his book on his childhood, "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid". He also talks about frolicking in the clouds of pesticide that used to get crop-dusted over his neighbourhood :allears:

It's a really good and very funny book.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

HonorableTB posted:

I can't fathom the idea of wrapping a bunch of lamb intestine around my dong and going to work. That's just so grody.

Goal: Have sex
Limitation: No baby

Supplies:
(1) Woman
(2) Sheep

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Factory Factory posted:

Goal: Have sex
Limitation: No baby

Supplies:
(1) Woman
(2) Sheep

Yea, I mean Welsh figured out a different method, but I can see how we stuck with what we had.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

It does sound a bit weird, but hey, weirder than putting that stuff in your mouth?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DNova posted:

The Mayans are known to have practiced the art of the beer enema. Sticking things up our butts goes back a long time.

And then they got really bombed and played the longest practical joke ever.

madlilnerd posted:

Bill Bryson mentions this in his book on his childhood, "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid". He also talks about frolicking in the clouds of pesticide that used to get crop-dusted over his neighbourhood :allears:

Everyone should read Bill Bryson's books, he's a phenomenal writer, but also the x-ray machine shows up in Stephen King's It, which really confused me when I read it because I couldn't imagine how something like that would exist. But apparently they did, so never doubt the past, I guess.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

By the way, back on the subject of pneumatic tubes: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/health/upmc-constructing-underground-pneumatic-tubes-to-link-hospitals-to-new-lab-659479/

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea, I mean Welsh figured out a different method, but I can see how we stuck with what we had.

I know this is contributing to a derail, but I will run the risk of probation to tell you just how much this made me laugh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Everyone should read Bill Bryson's books, he's a phenomenal writer, but also the x-ray machine shows up in Stephen King's It, which really confused me when I read it because I couldn't imagine how something like that would exist. But apparently they did, so never doubt the past, I guess.

He's also full of poo poo. His Brief History of whatever the gently caress says that glass is a liquid.

It might seem a bit nitpicky, but a modern science writer saying that sort of thing is really stupid.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Generally if you have to charge it by holding it up to light first, it's not generating its own energy (just absorbing energy and re-emitting it, basically) and therefore isn't also generating any harmful radiation.

If it glows on its own without being charged or using a power source though, then I'd be a little suspicious. For instance, these awesome-looking keychains glow for up to 10 years in total darkness:

They're filled with radioactive tritium gas (the isotope of hydrogen that put the 'hydrogen' in 'hydrogen bomb') and are used as markers so you can find things in the dark, as well as for those little glowing dots on gun sights, and they make a bitchin' rave accessory.

Of course, barely any radiation is emitted from them at all, definitely not dangerous levels unless you sleep with it under your pillow every night for 12 years and it leaks, but you can still use them to freak out your dad.

As an owner of these, they are not at all bright. Pretty much can't even see the glow in anything less than near-total darkness. Also I think they emit alpha particles as most of their decay? I can't remember.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

As an owner of these, they are not at all bright. Pretty much can't even see the glow in anything less than near-total darkness. Also I think they emit alpha particles as most of their decay? I can't remember.

Tritium emits beta particles (the whole atom is lighter than an alpha particle), but they're very low energy as beta goes, and can basically be blocked by skin, so like alpha emitters it's only dangerous if ingested. Though they're lower mass than alpha particles still, so are less dangerous when they are ingested. Basically, as radioactive materials go it's as benign as it gets.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

madlilnerd posted:

When I was growing up in Florida in the 70s :corsair:, they used to spray for mosquitos using a truck fogger. We'd all wait around for the truck as the driver would always throw out handfuls for candy for us. /csb

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

spog posted:

I've heard a complain from occasional PS3 users that everytime they want to play it game, it takes 20 mins to start, because their system always insists on downloading and installing a non-skippable software update.

So many pages ago, but this is painfully true. Why are their updates so slow?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Despite my love for it, I would say the Famicom Disk System is rather obsolete.

Basically: it's an add-on disk drive system for the Famicom [the Japanese NES]. Something interesting about the system is how different some games for it are than their NES counterparts; for instance, Metroid for the FDS has savegames thanks to being able to write to the disk [as opposed to using a battery backup solution inside the cart, which I assume hadn't been developed yet when Metroid came out].

And one of the most famous differences, a number of titles had remarkably different music than their NES versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txF7fZeOuyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxTvoTeoBNc

One advantage that disks had over carts is that disks could be rewritten. Nintendo set up Disk Writer stations around Japan which allowed people to pop a disk in and write a game to it from a big selection of them. Kind of like a proto-Red Box kiosk, if Red Box made you provide your own DVD. :v:

I myself have a Sharp Twin Famicom, which is a kickass little device which has a built in Famicom and FDS all in one package:

[not mine, but I have the same model/color]

Pretty awesome. Plus, it uses actual Nintendo hardware, which comes in handy when the inevitable happens: The disk drive fails.

Y'see, the FDS disk drive is belt driven. The belt is made from a material which is hard to describe; I'm sure at one point, the belt in mine was a solid, durable, flexible-yet-tight piece of rubber. However, when I bought it a year or so ago, the drive didn't work [very very common when buying FDS/Twin Famis], so I popped it open to replace the belt only to find that the belt had turned into some semi-solid semi-fluid horrific mess all over the pulleys it was attached to. Also, it stains the poo poo out of everything and is impossible to get out; I'm glad I plan to replace the carpet in my home office anyway. :argh:

I finally replaced the belt today, and come to find out I didn't align something right inside, so it still won't read disks. :smithicide:

So moral of the story: be glad, kids, that the BDROM in your PS3 isn't belt driven!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Code Jockey posted:

Despite my love for it, I would say the Famicom Disk System is rather obsolete.

That looks like something you would have seen on Star Trek TOS.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mister Kingdom posted:

That looks like something you would have seen on Star Trek TOS.

Ha! I wouldn't be too surprised.

That reminds me, I've been re-watching Red Dwarf since Season 10 just came out, and early in Season 1 I spotted this:

The Commodore 64: So awesome, it's used to control spacecraft. :v: Obviously the Jupiter Mining Corp doesn't consider it to be obsolete, even if we might.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

And if she enjoys haggis.

I knew that lambskin condoms didn't stop STDs, but as that wasn't the original purpose of the item I didn't feel it worth mentioning.

This made me laugh out loud entirely too loudly, thank you.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

redmercer posted:

Man, I bet things were really terrible until they figured out how to make a condom without any seams.

A condom with the seam in is a counter-productive idea.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

t_violet posted:

When I was growing up in Florida in the 70s :corsair:, they used to spray for mosquitos using a truck fogger. We'd all wait around for the truck as the driver would always throw out handfuls for candy for us. /csb

I grew up in swampy mostly-rural Florida and my parents still live there, and they still spray for mosquitoes using a truck (and a low-flying helicopter) though now they do it at like 10 PM at night (so nobody sees it and freaks out at the chemtrails :tinfoil:)

I've never gotten candy despite being blasted with poison by one driving by a few times :argh:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

The egyptians rubbed crocodile turds all over their wee obelisks. You be drat thankful for your lamb guts.

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011
Speaking of radium suppositories:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Killer robot posted:

Really that's true of a lot of hazardous old materials/processes. They pose no real danger to the end consumer in the targeted product, but the people making them in contact with volatile forms or inhaling powders and whatever all day were in real danger.

Nope. The formation of the FDA as we know it actually resulted from these inane products actually killing off some rather influential figures in the most gruesome way possible. I believe it specifically was someone's jaw falling off.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

Nope. The formation of the FDA as we know it actually resulted from these inane products actually killing off some rather influential figures in the most gruesome way possible. I believe it specifically was someone's jaw falling off.

I was bored so I looked it up: a number of different things lead up to it, including Upton Sinclair's writings, the Elixir Sulfanilamide incident in which 100 people were poisoned by an additive to a drug and died, and what you were probably thinking of: the death of Eben Byers, an industrialist who was prescribed a radium drink to fix his injured arm.

Wikipedia posted:

The Wall Street Journal ran a headline reading "The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off" after his death

Man the early 1900's were great :allears:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I ran into this at work today. It's our original keyboard for the rail controllers (I work for a subway system) to interact with our SCADA system. I thought it just looked kinda neat:

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I miss big chunky keyboards.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It looks like a control panel on a 60's sci-fi show, in the best way.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I wish the original SCADA servers were still around to play with. I guess they were taken away when they upgraded in the late 90's.

Which takes me to the fact that our current systems for SCADA and Train Control are in use but obsolete. It's all DEC Alpha stuff. It's wonderful.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

MadScientistWorking posted:

That was Radithor, one of the radium water products of the 1920s. It's not really related to the many things that endanger workers far more than consumers though, like radium watches or careless X-ray use or various powdered chemicals.

On old keyboards with lots of extra modes and keys I do like this one:

Ctrl, Meta, Super, and Hyper! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Killer robot posted:

That was Radithor, one of the radium water products of the 1920s. It's not really related to the many things that endanger workers far more than consumers though, like radium watches or careless X-ray use or various powdered chemicals.

On old keyboards with lots of extra modes and keys I do like this one:

Ctrl, Meta, Super, and Hyper! :science:

Ooooooh that looks like an APL keyboard.

APL was this weird early functional programming language from the 70s that used mathematical notation with a non-ASCII character set to act on vectors and matrices (the code points used for lower case in ASCII were for those math symbols in APL).