Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
Glad to know I'm well within the curve :P I've been terrified I'm going to have the baby early or something (apparently that's a tendency on my mom's side of the family?) and we'll get home and have absolutely nothing and be completely overwhelmed. I haven't had much experience with babies under six months so I'm sure that doesn't help either.

Part of this is probably the whole nesting thing, but luckily it seems to be manifesting in me as mounting things to walls and doing various projects involving power tools. It's actually fantastic, I'm getting things done that I've been meaning to for months.

I do have a medium sized ~50lb dog who will be about two when the baby comes. What do I need to do as far as baby/dog introductions and safety? He's got a really stable temperament, is very used to being around kids 3 and older, and will happily sit and wag while the kids downstairs give him giant hugs, but he's also bigger than he realizes and I want to prevent any accidents where he gets overexcited or startled by the baby and knocks someone over or something. Is there anything I can do early to get him used to the idea of a baby being around? We're already working on not all stuffed toys being his, and waiting at entry doors until he's allowed in, and he's doing very well with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
If you get any toys get one of those activity gyms. I stuck mine in the pack n play(with the bassinet insert) and I had a couple blissful months of Chris just chilling in it while I ate breakfast. On the best days he would fall asleep on his own in it! Then the rest of the day he would be attached to me, but at least I got to eat in peace.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This Saturday will be 3 weeks until my due date. We've been pretty bad about getting things that we need, but we have essentials at least. We have a co sleeper (still in the box), the crib (needs sheets), changing table (needs pad), one diaper cover, and clothes my mom had given me, and a car seat that's actually installed in my husband's car!

I'm having a skype baby shower on Saturday so we're waiting to see what we get. I was told to expect a lot of gift cards. My family is in NY and I live in NC so I'll be sitting here at home on a laptop while the rest of them have a baby shower for me in NY. Its going to be really strange. My mom told me I can get myself some snacks and a cake. Yay?

I plan to order a poo poo ton of stuff Saturday evening from amazon and making a trip to Target and Babys R Us Sunday. My biggest anxiety is getting all the diapering stuff, sheets, and blankets.

Edit: I got some good news about my work situation. Before they were going to lay me off 2 weeks before my due date. The company started doing better and we got a new project so I had a sit down with the CEO and asked if I could keep my job since I'm a lead on my team and they can really use my help on the new project. They agreed to let me keep my job! Its good and bad. I'll have to go back to work after 8 weeks, but they're being flexible about letting me work from home half the time so we won't need to get any extra child care. The new project we're starting is a lot of fun and exactly the sort of thing I've been wanting to work on for years instead of the crappy projects I've been doing.

Its sort of a weird pull where I'm sad that I won't get to have months off to spend with the baby, but also excited to be working on a stimulating project and not have to worry about my health insurance and money issues. Its a bit easier to deal with knowing that my husband is going to be the one watching the baby when I'm not home. Trying to be a working mom in the US sucks.

Edit edit: for the weight gain talk a little earlier, I have a pretty noticeable pregnant belly, but other than that I gained all my weight in my rear end and thighs. The only stretch marks I have are on my legs. :(

Alterian fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 26, 2012

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'd also recommend buying clothes in different sizes. I would go to a local consignment shop to pick up clothes (in a range of sizes, up to 12 months) and other baby gear every 1-2 weeks. A lot of the things I bought either had tags or looked like it had barely been worn. I would think about finding a bouncer or a swing. Baby ghost loves her bouncer and the vibrating part. Now that she's old enough, she's enjoying grabbing at the toys on the activity bar. :)

We have 2 dogs (~30 lbs, ~40 lbs). We boarded them and when Mr ghost picked them up, he let them sniff a shirt that I wore while holding the baby and a baby blanket. They were curious but not overly so. We very rarely have any dog-baby interaction. We haven't forced any pictures of putting her on or near, having her 'pet' them - nothing. They have sneaked in a lick in while we're giving pets, but that has happened maybe a handful of times. We used a play yard set to create a safe dog free area for her bouncer and play mat.

I think it also helped that there are different furniture rules. If I'm sitting on the couch, no baby, they know its okay to hop up (same as it was pre baby). If I'm sitting in my nursing chair, baby or no baby, they know they're not allowed up. They have dog beds by the chair that they use instead.

dogsandbabieslearning.com is a really good resource for this topic.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Midnight Sun posted:

(Also, not figuring out you're pregnant before you're almost 23 weeks along doesn't exactly do wonders for the stress levels. ;))

What the what. Please. There is a story there, please elaborate.

I mean, I had a surprise pregnancy and found I was 9 weeks along, I thought that was huge. By 23 weeks you must have been feeling kicks, right?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Midnight Sun posted:

(Also, not figuring out you're pregnant before you're almost 23 weeks along doesn't exactly do wonders for the stress levels. ;))

How's you manage that one? :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Well, I've always had irregular periods, so I've often went 4-8 months without having any. Also, as I said earlier, I'm overweight, so my clothes still fit me now.

I quit my BCP last February, but I didn't have high expectations of conceiving due to my irregular periods. My husband and I just thought "if it happens, it happens" and left it at that. Then, one day in September, I thought I'd take a pregnancy test just in case. My boobs have been feeling sore all summer, but I thought maybe my period was on its way, so I did't think more of it. Yeah, the test was positive, the four other tests I took were also positive. Ultrasound a week later showed a big, active baby. I might have felt kicks before the tests, but I must have thought it was gas or something. I haven't been sick at all, so I had no idea I was pregnant already.

At least I found out before I gave birth into the toilet. :downs:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Midnight Sun posted:

Well, I've always had irregular periods, so I've often went 4-8 months without having any. Also, as I said earlier, I'm overweight, so my clothes still fit me now.

I quit my BCP last February, but I didn't have high expectations of conceiving due to my irregular periods. My husband and I just thought "if it happens, it happens" and left it at that. Then, one day in September, I thought I'd take a pregnancy test just in case. My boobs have been feeling sore all summer, but I thought maybe my period was on its way, so I did't think more of it. Yeah, the test was positive, the four other tests I took were also positive. Ultrasound a week later showed a big, active baby. I might have felt kicks before the tests, but I must have thought it was gas or something. I haven't been sick at all, so I had no idea I was pregnant already.

That is pretty amazing :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

and wipe warmers and it makes me want to shake them (gently!)

Wipe warmers are awesome. Especially if you have a baby/infant that will scream bloody murder during a 2am change cause you put a cold wipe on its' genitals/butt. They're especially great if you use cloth wipes.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

bamthrilla posted:

Wipe warmers are awesome. Especially if you have a baby/infant that will scream bloody murder during a 2am change cause you put a cold wipe on its' genitals/butt. They're especially great if you use cloth wipes.

Personally I just see them as a big waste of time and space. It's hard to tell you're running out because the viewing window is fogged up, the top wipes always dry out no matter what the description says. They're limiting because if you're away from the house or in another room not wanting to get up you still have to use cold wipes, and (for me at least) I barely have enough space and outlets for a lamp and baby monitor, let alone a device the size of a George Foreman Grill that's only job is to slightly warm wet paper.

That being said, I use disposable wipes. I see from my Googling that there is a cloth wipe warmer(didn't even know cloth wipes existed!), and it looks more like those things spas use for face cloths. That might actually be pretty cool. But I still think disposable wipe warmers are meh.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Stairs posted:

That being said, I use disposable wipes. I see from my Googling that there is a cloth wipe warmer(didn't even know cloth wipes existed!), and it looks more like those things spas use for face cloths. That might actually be pretty cool. But I still think disposable wipe warmers are meh.

How do you think people wiped kids asses 50 years ago?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

How do you think people wiped kids asses 50 years ago?

Well, obviously. I just meant it never hit me that they actually made store bought cloths specifically for use as wipes. I'm fully aware that you can wipe rear end with a cloth, I just didn't realize people do that as a matter of course sometimes. Probably because I associate disposable wipes with toilet paper for us adults. Like, would you be shocked to find out people use cloth toilet paper? That's what I meant.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Stairs posted:

Well, obviously. I just meant it never hit me that they actually made store bought cloths specifically for use as wipes. I'm fully aware that you can wipe rear end with a cloth, I just didn't realize people do that as a matter of course sometimes. Probably because I associate disposable wipes with toilet paper for us adults. Like, would you be shocked to find out people use cloth toilet paper? That's what I meant.

No, because I know people that do. It ain't my bag, but it's not like "OMG shocking!"

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

Like, would you be shocked to find out people use cloth toilet paper? That's what I meant.

http://www.familyclothwipes.com/

Also, I think most people I know who use cloth wipes cut up old receiving blankets and/or shirts. I definitely wouldn't buy cloth wipes. I use disposable because I'm too lazy and cloth diapering is about as far as I'll go on that front.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hey, I was a little surprised too when I learned that people sold specially-made cloth asswipes.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Midnight Sun posted:

The woman in the apartment next to us gave birth on her toilet, it was pretty crazy because it was a full term baby and she had no idea. I'd talked to her earlier that day and she didn't look pregnant at all! I can't imagine how shocking it would be to push a baby out in your bathroom when you thought you just had terrible cramps or something.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

ghost story posted:

I'd also recommend buying clothes in different sizes. I would go to a local consignment shop to pick up clothes (in a range of sizes, up to 12 months) and other baby gear every 1-2 weeks. A lot of the things I bought either had tags or looked like it had barely been worn. I would think about finding a bouncer or a swing. Baby ghost loves her bouncer and the vibrating part. Now that she's old enough, she's enjoying grabbing at the toys on the activity bar. :)

Also, for those Carters multipacks of onesies and stuff, go to Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's TJMaxx, etc. You can get 5 packs for a more reasonable $10 than the usual retail ripoff of $26 or so.

Burlington's usually haas the better selection, now that Chris is growing like a weed the less I spend on clothes the better.

Man, I'm starting to think that hibernating through the first trimester would be the best thing ever. I've been going to bed early and today I fell asleep for the first time while Chris was up and active( he was safely confined in the bedroom and nursery. This pregnancy is already kicking my rear end.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Stairs posted:

Personally I just see them as a big waste of time and space. It's hard to tell you're running out because the viewing window is fogged up, the top wipes always dry out no matter what the description says. They're limiting because if you're away from the house or in another room not wanting to get up you still have to use cold wipes, and (for me at least) I barely have enough space and outlets for a lamp and baby monitor, let alone a device the size of a George Foreman Grill that's only job is to slightly warm wet paper.

We also found the wipe warmer great for the early months' middle of the night diaper changes to keep from shocking him entirely awake. We have the Prince Lionheart one, I think, and we've never had any of the problems you listed. We only ever changed middle of the night diapers in one place, so the location was never an issue.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
So we brought out baby home yesterday. He was born on tuesday night and weight 8 pounds 5 ounces. A nurse visited us today and he weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces. So he lost a little over 10 percent of his birth weight. We just got back from renting a pump. The pediatrician's office wanted us to supplement with formula for the next 24 hours. We just got back form renting a breast pump and wife is using it now.

2 lactation consultants said he has a good latch and he get's on fast. I think we have been letting him fall asleep to easily.

He has had 2 wet diapers since being discharged at 3 pm yesterday. I'm hoping for one more before 3 pm today. That will still only be 3 wet diapers in 24 hours though.

Do we HAVE to supplement with formula? We were hoping to breastfeed only. (I do realize that one or two bottles won't really ruin the breastfeeding only plan we'd just rather not use them at all)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hdip posted:

Do we HAVE to supplement with formula? We were hoping to breastfeed only. (I do realize that one or two bottles won't really ruin the breastfeeding only plan we'd just rather not use them at all)

Has your wife's milk come in? If it has, did the lactation consultants do a weigh feed weigh? Did they talk to you about paced bottle feeding or a supplemental nursing system? Introducing a bottle that early can lead to a flow preference very quickly so I would try to avoid it. You can supplement with a SNS or a dropper.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Hdip posted:

So we brought out baby home yesterday. He was born on tuesday night and weight 8 pounds 5 ounces. A nurse visited us today and he weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces. So he lost a little over 10 percent of his birth weight. We just got back from renting a pump. The pediatrician's office wanted us to supplement with formula for the next 24 hours. We just got back form renting a breast pump and wife is using it now.

2 lactation consultants said he has a good latch and he get's on fast. I think we have been letting him fall asleep to easily.

He has had 2 wet diapers since being discharged at 3 pm yesterday. I'm hoping for one more before 3 pm today. That will still only be 3 wet diapers in 24 hours though.

It's really uncommon to absolutely need to supplement with formula, but it's also not terribly common to lose more than 10% of his weight in a day. As a non-medical-professional, I hate to give you advice that can seriously impact the health of your child, so I guess all I'll say is that from all the breastfeeding research I've done, they consensus is usually that there are ways around it.
The fact that you said a nurse visited you makes me assume you're not in the US. I don't know what kind of resources you have available to you; can you call the lactation consultants back? You said you rented a breast pump...can you supplement with the pumped milk instead of formula?

EDIT:Kellymom says that during the first few days, the wet diaper count is different than usual. It says that you're right on target with 2 on the second day. I didn't realize it was different for those first few days, since I personally was in the hospital for the first 5 days, so I had nurses doing all my diaper changes.
http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2012

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
First let me say thanks to everyone in the thread. I've been following you guys for about 2 years now. I know that asking the internet for advice is kinda iffy but you guys are a great support group. (this is our first baby)

The baby lost that much weight in 2 days and should have 4 wet diapers in these last 24 hours. So the pediatrician is worried about dehydration.

Wife's milk hasn't come in yet but the colostrum she got out through pumping was cloudy. So maybe that's a sign it's coming. I fed the little bit that was pumped out to him with a combination of a medicine dropper and my pinky.

We have a doula stopping by this afternoon so we are holding off on the bottle until after that.

Oddly enough we are in the US. I guess the home visit is something offered through our pediatricians office.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Ours lost 10% of his weight in the first 2 days too, before we left hospital. If he had lost any more than that we weren't allowed to be discharged until it was back up again.

At the foot of my bed I had a couple of binders with my chart and the baby's. His had a spreadsheet that I filled in each time I fed (what time & how long) and changed nappies (what time, what was it filled with).
The dedicated LC that came and saw me on day 2 checked the chart and said that because their stomachs are so tiny (like a marble) and they don't get a whole lot of liquid in with purely colostrum, her general guideline was 1 day old: 1 wet 1 poo, 2 days: 2 wet 2 poo, 3 days: 3 wet 3 poo etc.. as supply increases and your milk starts to come in. As long as you were roughly on track she was happy.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Lyz posted:

Man, I'm starting to think that hibernating through the first trimester would be the best thing ever. I've been going to bed early and today I fell asleep for the first time while Chris was up and active( he was safely confined in the bedroom and nursery. This pregnancy is already kicking my rear end.

Man I wish. The past three days have been hell for me, constant nausea, dizziness, and then last night I was crying over dumb poo poo. My 13lb dog stepped on my bare foot and his nail hurt a little when it dug in, and I cried about it. :stare:

(then again my husband was out taking care of leaves and the sound of the blower kept making them BARK BARK BARK, so it kind of led up to that but still..I feel like a freak.)

Trying to go to work for a couple hours today..I just want to get out of the house and away from all this nausea and crap. :cry:

I was thinking the other day "How the hell would I manage this if I had another young child?!" Lots of kudos for you ladies that manage that. I hope I have triplets so I can get this all done in one go. :haw:

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

bamthrilla posted:

http://www.familyclothwipes.com/

Also, I think most people I know who use cloth wipes cut up old receiving blankets and/or shirts. I definitely wouldn't buy cloth wipes. I use disposable because I'm too lazy and cloth diapering is about as far as I'll go on that front.

I actually started with the cloth wipes after switching to cloth diapers. They just go in the diaper pail, so the work isn't more. The warmer came with a few, I cut up a receiving blanket, and I bought some cloth diapers on etsy that came with a couple. My kid hates diaper changes, and at least the warm wipes make him a little happier about it.

Hdip posted:

The baby lost that much weight in 2 days and should have 4 wet diapers in these last 24 hours. So the pediatrician is worried about dehydration.

Wife's milk hasn't come in yet but the colostrum she got out through pumping was cloudy. So maybe that's a sign it's coming. I fed the little bit that was pumped out to him with a combination of a medicine dropper and my pinky.

We have a doula stopping by this afternoon so we are holding off on the bottle until after that.

I ended up having to supplement. The hospital I was in had the "baby friendly" certification (which I think is a bullshit designation, but whatever), and fully endorsed breastfeeding with an onsite milk bank. The nurses there, who were pretty anti-formula said that as soon as you're an "older" mother (late 20s and up), you're more likely to need supplementation, the younger mothers almost never do, and whenever you have a bigger baby (which in my area is anything 8lbs and up), you're also more likely to need to supplement. Obviously these are generalizations, but there seems to be some commonalities. They see about 7000 babies born a year, so they probably know what they're talking about in that regard.

That being said, don't get too hung up on it, what's important is that your kid gets fed. Supplementing isn't "failure" or anything, and that sort of mindset really fucks with your head.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

hdip, was your wife on IV fluids for a long time during labor? Sometimes that can cause the baby to have an artificially high birth weight that may end up looking like a huge loss in the subsequent days. http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/08/15/study-shows-link-between-maternal-iv-fluids-and-weight-loss-in-newborns/

Her milk should come in soon - it usually takes between 2 and 5 days for that to happen. Keep the baby on the breast as much as possible to send those signals of stimulation out to get it flowing. I think you're right to be hesitant to use a bottle this early. Using a dropper or even a little shot glass is an excellent way to supplement without the worries of nipple confusion. If you can find one locally, a supplemental nursing system is a good way to get extra food in the baby while keeping him on the breast as much as possible. Your hospital might have a "lactation boutique" or they may even be available at one of the big box baby stores. http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Supplemental-Nursing-System-Bottle/dp/B001G87KYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351361354&sr=8-1&keywords=sns

Here's the page on newborn nursing and what's normal. I used to read this a lot to reassure myself. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Congratulations and good luck!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I actually started with the cloth wipes after switching to cloth diapers. They just go in the diaper pail, so the work isn't more. The warmer came with a few, I cut up a receiving blanket, and I bought some cloth diapers on etsy that came with a couple. My kid hates diaper changes, and at least the warm wipes make him a little happier about it.

Having warm wipes is nice. You know, the funny thing about this was that I actually started thinking about cloth wipes after my comment and realized it wouldn't be difficult. Marshalls (TJ Maxx) has those super soft baby wash clothes something like 24 for $6 and really cheap flannel receiving blankets 4 for $6. So if I want to start I'll at least be able to do so super cheap.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

That being said, don't get too hung up on it, what's important is that your kid gets fed. Supplementing isn't "failure" or anything, and that sort of mindset really fucks with your head.

This x1000. What's more important, your kid's health or your pride? I had to supplement Chris when I first started when his appetite outstripped what my severely chapped and cracked nipples could stand. He is now the healthiest one year old you can picture.

That being said, the best indicator of if he's eating enough is the color of the urine in the diapers. If it's pretty yellow or even red, he needs more liquid.

Greycious posted:

I was thinking the other day "How the hell would I manage this if I had another young child?!" Lots of kudos for you ladies that manage that. I hope I have triplets so I can get this all done in one go.

No you don't. I thought it would be nice to have twins first go and be done, but one kid was moooooooooooore than enough for me. I would've been thrown in the looney bin if I had to deal with more than one.

My wost fear is that this pregnancy is going to result in twins (my mother is a twin so it is a very good chance). Three kids... *shudder*

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
So, I had to give up breastfeeding, unfortunately. I tried everything. I pumped, I took fenugreek, I ate more, I did skin-to-skin, etc. And still, my one breast stopped producing much of anything and soon the other one followed. I spoke to my aunt, who also happens to be a nurse, and apparently my grandmother went through the same thing. Maybe it's genetic? Either way, I was devastated and felt like a massive failure. My husband reminded me that what mattered most is that our son gets fed and continues to gain weight. And at 10+lbs now, I think he's doing fine in that aspect.

We went to get him circumcised, however, and had to have it postponed because his heart rate was too high. The doctor sent us to see a cardiologist immediately. They did an EKG, which showed that his heart rate was fast and there were extra beats. The doctor said he wanted to do an ultrasound of his heart to see if it was physically okay, but not to panic because he didn't think there was anything wrong.

The ultrasound showed a perfect heart, and another EKG showed that there was only one extra beat as opposed to the four that there had been the previous day, which was good. We did a 24hr heart monitor, too. It came back looking fine, and he's going to be circumcised next week.

And to any expecting moms, please go buy different sized clothes. Stephen is only 5 weeks, but he's already outgrown his 0-3 month clothes, and is now in 3-6 months. He's such a long baby!

I have a question, though. How long does it take hormones to level out? I have moments throughout the day where I feel incredibly sad or apathetic. Never towards my son, thankfully, but I can't explain it. I think it must be hormonal, because there's nothing in my life to be sad about.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

I ended up having to supplement. The hospital I was in had the "baby friendly" certification (which I think is a bullshit designation, but whatever), and fully endorsed breastfeeding with an onsite milk bank. The nurses there, who were pretty anti-formula said that as soon as you're an "older" mother (late 20s and up), you're more likely to need supplementation, the younger mothers almost never do, and whenever you have a bigger baby (which in my area is anything 8lbs and up), you're also more likely to need to supplement. Obviously these are generalizations, but there seems to be some commonalities. They see about 7000 babies born a year, so they probably know what they're talking about in that regard.

I'm curious, what exactly do you think is "bullshit" about the baby friendly hospital initiative? You're talking about the WHO Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative, right? I think it's a good initiative personally. All hospitals in Norway have this certification and we have on of the highest rates of breastfeeding in the world (there are other reasons for this as well, but I absolutely think getting a good start is very important for breastfeeding success).

I was 28 when I gave birth btw and no one said anything about "older moms" needing to supplement more often.

Anyway, hdip, I agree with Chickalicious, I'd try to avoid a bottle if possible. My son refused to take the breast for the first days and I was told to express milk into a little cup and feed him milk directly from the cup. It worked well.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

CravingSolace posted:

I have moments throughout the day where I feel incredibly sad or apathetic. Never towards my son, thankfully, but I can't explain it. I think it must be hormonal, because there's nothing in my life to be sad about.

Do you get seasonal depression? It might be something to look into. Any thyroid issues?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I don't remember exactly how long the post-partum intensity of my usual depression lasted, but I think it was a good few weeks. As you say, feeling incredibly sad and apathetic. Bamzthrilla's point about seasonal depression is good too. It's a rough time of year to be figuring out new baby life.

I'm not looking forward to it myself. I need to talk to the pediatrician about whether I can go back to my usual antidepressant during breastfeeding--my OB wanted me to switch off it during pregnancy, but what I'm on now is so not doing anything.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Stopping breastfeeding can also create hormonal havoc as well. I think it's fairly typical to get slightly depressed when you wean later on too.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Pediatrician sent out a nurse to the house again today. He gained 2 oz so he's back to exactly 10 % of his birth weight. YAY. We are using a bottle to get him the pumped milk after a feed. We were using a medicine dropper and my pinky but it was easier to lose the milk that way.

When you use a little glass or cup do you just tilt it so they can suck on the edge of the cup?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Hdip posted:

Pediatrician sent out a nurse to the house again today. He gained 2 oz so he's back to exactly 10 % of his birth weight. YAY. We are using a bottle to get him the pumped milk after a feed. We were using a medicine dropper and my pinky but it was easier to lose the milk that way.

When you use a little glass or cup do you just tilt it so they can suck on the edge of the cup?

Yay for gaining back some weight!

Yeah, I'd just put the edge to his lips and tilt it slightly. The trick is to not pour it down faster than he can swallow ;)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hdip posted:

Random question but what country do you live in that a nurse comes to your house? That sounds so cool. Women in the US have such a pita time getting to the doctor, especially after c-sections.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I live in Canada, and they do at home visits for the first week in my neck of the woods.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Tigntink posted:

Random question but what country do you live in that a nurse comes to your house? That sounds so cool. Women in the US have such a pita time getting to the doctor, especially after c-sections.

I live in the great country of Los Angeles California. This nurse works with my pediatrician's office and has her own business. You can hire her privately. Her flyer says her first 4 hours are free. I'm not sure if the pediatrician pays her or not. We aren't paying though so that's awesome. Plus she's really nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That is super cool. I've never heard of any services like that here in WA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
A picture for your troubles. He's not sure what to make of the car on the way home from the hospital. He sure did like sleeping in his car seat though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hdip fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 28, 2012