Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Hdip posted:

I live in the great country of Los Angeles California. This nurse works with my pediatrician's office and has her own business. You can hire her privately. Her flyer says her first 4 hours are free. I'm not sure if the pediatrician pays her or not. We aren't paying though so that's awesome. Plus she's really nice.

PM me if you can, I also live in the great county of Los Angeles and would love to know about such a thing! (Long beach area, here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Hdip posted:

A picture for your troubles. He's not sure what to make of the car on the way home from the hospital. He sure did like sleeping in his car seat though.

That baby is not impressed. At all.

Violet
Aug 19, 2002

Take a dive into the sea of neon
I live in Oregon and the Nurse Midwife Birth Center we're going to provides a nurse home visit the week following birth.
The center is associated with a hospital and I think even if you give birth at the hospital you can request a home visit as an additional service. Seems like the US is catching on!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Tigntink posted:

Random question but what country do you live in that a nurse comes to your house? That sounds so cool. Women in the US have such a pita time getting to the doctor, especially after c-sections.

The US has the Nurse Family Partnership, which does weekly visits for income eligible first time mothers from pregnancy through 2 years old. I applied for WIC, and they referred me to the program. If you qualify it's completely free. I'm pretty excited about it, I feel more comfortable asking her silly little pregnancy questions than I do my midwife and I'm nervous about taking care of a baby properly so I'm happy she'll be there to help.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

tse1618 posted:

The US has the Nurse Family Partnership, which does weekly visits for income eligible first time mothers from pregnancy through 2 years old. I applied for WIC, and they referred me to the program. If you qualify it's completely free. I'm pretty excited about it, I feel more comfortable asking her silly little pregnancy questions than I do my midwife and I'm nervous about taking care of a baby properly so I'm happy she'll be there to help.

That's really cool. I'll make sure my pregnant SIL and cousin know it exists. Neither of them are low income but i'm sure it would be helpful.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

bamthrilla posted:

Do you get seasonal depression? It might be something to look into. Any thyroid issues?

No seasonal depression, but I do have hypothryoidism. My levels were fine during pregnancy, but could they have changed since giving birth?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

CravingSolace posted:

No seasonal depression, but I do have hypothryoidism. My levels were fine during pregnancy, but could they have changed since giving birth?

Yes. Mine did, anyway. My pill dosage ended up going from 125mcg to 88mcg. I was also a bit depressed.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

CravingSolace posted:

Absolutely. You should be getting blood work done every six weeks to two months for a little while to make sure that you don't need your dosage changed since this is such a hormonally charged time. Hypothyroidism can cause low milk supply as well.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I wish the lactation consultant had mentioned that when I told her that I wasn't producing enough. Maybe she didn't know? Either way, I'm going to call my PCM and ask to have my levels checked. Thank you!

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
So in my son's first couple of weeks, he'd sleep all the time (typical) and during the night he would sleep for stretches of 2-2.5 hours. The last two nights, however, he wouldn't sleep for any longer than 1.5 hours at a time... and that would be like the one lucky, long stretch of sleep with almost all of the others being closer to 45 min-1 hour. Every wake-up is a diaper change or a feeding, so he's not just being fussy or having trouble falling asleep, but I'm tired! Is this normal? Even with this new, shorter sleep pattern, he stayed awake from 10AM-7PM yesterday and then started his 1.5 hour naps at 7 until 8AM... (He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow.)

What's going on? Why isn't he sleeping better? He eats very well and gets plenty. He has around 20 wet and/ or dirty diapers in a 24 hour period...

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
There's a six week growth spurt that he could be hitting early. At that young, though, his sleep patterns will probably change every couple of weeks so it's just a matter of surviving.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
My partner just gave birth 6 hours ago to a boy (small baby, 2.6kg) as he was a bit premature and my partner had health issues.
They had to induce her because she suffers from anxiety and stress, (has done for most her life). She's 36 y/o and had high blood pressure, the baby not growing much any more and her losing weight. So the hospital wanted to act 2 weeks early. She has also suffered from insomnia the last 3 months.

She's pretty clued up with most things as she is a child care worker for a day job, so besides the whole giving birth thing and breast feeding, she has done it all for other peoples babies. (edit: not talking these things down as minor issues of course - just saying she is not going to have problems later on with bathing, changing, getting them to sleep etc so these aren't the issues).
But because the birth had a couple of complications, took a bit too long, and the nurses had to take the baby to intensive care for a few hour to make sure he was breathing right, she didn't get to our baby straight away. When she tried breast feeding she couldn't get the hang of it. Lots of staff at the hospital tried to heap, but for obvious reasons, (her anxiety, tiredness, nausea, and the mid wifes and nurses saying that a few hours separation can cause difficulties on the first breast feeding attempt), any hints? At this stage she is just overwhelmed and can't process much - she knows what to do but can't think straight.

Of course I can't suggest anything, everything I suggest is going to be 'wrong' in her mind, even if I repeat exactly what the nurse said whatever I say is wrong and/or offensive, such is the lot of being a father, I'm dumb, I'm wrong, if I say it again I'll be punched in the head and pushed down the stairs etc, some know how it goes...
But when I go back to the hospital in holy poo poo 2 hours, being a public hospital they'll probably release her and the baby the same day. She was admitted Monday night at 11pm, induced on Tues 8am, started contractions at Tues 2pm, gave birth Tues 11pm, and now it's 5am Wed and she may be home by 4pm Wed.

So maybe some internet sources would be helpful when she gets home?

Sorry for the long post, but I had to ask someone and tell everyone. But don't want to tell friends or family because I want her to relax and spend quiet time in hospital, not be hammered by phone calls, text messages and visitors from them while she's trying to get her head on straight and spend time with the baby, and maybe get some sleep.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 30, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Congratulations!

It can take a good few tries before mom and baby get the hang of nursing. Her milk probably hasn't come in yet; after that the period of engorgement can make difficulties as well. And the baby is pretty tired and confused too! For now I'd think it's just important to look up resources for breastfeeding help if you still need it after a couple of days.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Fo3 posted:

So maybe some internet sources would be helpful when she gets home?

Sorry for the long post, but I had to ask someone and tell everyone. But don't want to tell friends or family because I want her to relax and spend quiet time in hospital, not be hammered by phone calls, text messages and visitors from them while she's trying to get her head on straight and spend time with the baby, and maybe get some sleep.

Kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding. She's under the influence of a lot of hormones right now, but I'd keep a close eye on the mental state that you're describing. It sounds like she's very at risk for postpartum depression or postpartum anxiety and, from experience, those can really mess up bonding with your newborn.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Congratulations!
Thanks.
She's still in hospital right now, they're keeping her in as they want the baby to get more active first, checking for infections and stuff, something about a mucus problem I think.
But he was more active some times today and my partner got him to start trying to breast feed at least, but he is not interested in that or anything much after a few sucks. Spends most of the time sleeping or yawning.

^^^
Yeah skeetied, that's why I'm worried, she has had depression in the past as well.
She was a bit happier though today when she had a tiny bit of success getting the baby to try to breast feed.
While I was there she did about 4 nappy changes, so he is getting some food at least, and like I said, she's used to that side of looking after babies and handling them so bonding OK and seemed a lot happier when I left at 8pm.

Edit: She still hasn't had any proper sleep yet though, in a fair bi of pain and stress and worry keeping her awake. But she did have had a 30min doze in the afternoon after getting some lunch and meds (the nausea seems to have gone). I hope she gets some sleep tonight...

Also yeah, she had family tracking her down and ringing the hospital, and the reception forwarding calls to the phone in the room. loving idiot that her father is, called at 6am!
Also her mum and sister called, my idiot parents called wanting to visit today. What wankers...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 31, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Try unplugging the room phone for her when she naps? You could try breastfeeding with the baby undressed or tickling his foot while he eats to keep him awake and alert.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I tried that tickling and other things, I guess he's not ticklish.

I had to leave at 2am and go home as at that time she was moved to the main ward.
I'm only allowed in the main ward from 8am-8pm, so I couldn't even go there and do things like disconnect the phone, or be there when all the calls came early in the morning.
I did switch her mobile phone off before I left. I'm just as annoyed at the hospital reception forwarding calls in the first place though.

Oh yeah, I've been reading through the thread and she named him Benjamin as well. I was OK with that, but it was her favourite, not mine*. I offered up Ciaron, Ryan and Connor and let her choose.
Strange hey? She has never even seen this thread before. More Benjamins!

*I just think it was funny as he arrived all wrinkly and grumpy like an old man and all I could think of is it's like that Benjamin Button movie, so it suits.

edit: It was hard enough to choose a name anyway, as she works in child care, nearly every name got the reply of "I look after a baby/child of that name, they are a terror/PITA!". So lots of names were banned.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 31, 2012

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
It's super hard to keep a new baby awake. Our 1 week old is starting to stay awake more. A cool wipe eery so often over his forehead and cheeks helps. Whenever he's ready to switch sides I take him for a minute and change him either into or out of his outfit which wakes him up. Or if he needs a diaper change even better.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Ben Davis posted:

Try unplugging the room phone for her when she naps? You could try breastfeeding with the baby undressed or tickling his foot while he eats to keep him awake and alert.

It's actually recommended that you not do this as it's a fearful reflex.

e: er, tickling the feet. Allegedly the baby doesn't know how to respond so it can cause the baby to become distressed. I forget where I read this, but I'll try to dig up the source.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 31, 2012

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The midwives at my hospital taught me to rub baby's cheek underneath his ear to rouse him a bit when he would drift off during feedings. You have to rub more vigorously than you think ;P

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I had a ton of trouble at first with mine being sleepy, and he was also 38 weeks. He would (barely) latch on, and then fall asleep before he sucked at all. I kept saying while I was in the hospital "well, he was a little early, so as far as his brain knows, he IS supposed to be sleeping all the time." All the nurses and lactation consultants would say "No, 38 weeks is considered to-term, so he's not really early," which didn't make any sense to me. I mean, they're supposed to be in there for another 2 weeks for a reason.

Later, when I got out of the hospital I found some information that referred to babies at 35-38 weeks as "imposter babies," meaning that they look like a 40 week baby, but they don't behave like 40-weekers when it comes to their ability to breastfeed. Here's a little blurb on it, with some links to other sites and a podcast.
https://www.bestforbabes.org/booby-traps-series-five-frequently-missed-or-mismanaged-breastfeeding-issues-in-the-hospital

We're at 4 months now, and breastfeeding is going just fine. Don't think that just because he's an unmotivated nurser now that it will always be that way, or that breastfeeding won't work out. It really just takes an extra measure of persistence, and knowing that you WILL get there eventually. I just went to the pediatrician for our 4 month visit, and she exclaimed "I can't believe you're still breastfeeding! I didn't think you were going to make it." (I had other difficulties on top of him just being early and sleepy, including getting some aggressive thrush that invaded my milk duct.) She said earlier that day that she had a couple come in to see her for an interview (the wife was still pregnant) and they asked her what the "Number 1 most important thing to have to breastfeed successfully is," and she told them "Persistence." She said "I think they were expecting me to tell them that it was a lactation consultant or some special kind of pump, but there isn't anything that takes the place of being really, really stubborn about it."

Aside from all the tickling, jostling, cold rags, etc to try to keep him awake, the hospital gave me a curved-tip oral syringe that looks like this: http://alineaathome.typepad.com/.a/6a00e555081a19883401053600dba9970c-800wi
Because of the tiny, curved tip, you can insert the syringe into the corner of the mouth of the baby while he is latched on to the breast, and drip a little extra into his mouth while nursing. Theoretically, since he's getting more at one time, he will be a little more motivated...or something like that. They hospital had me putting formula in the syringe, but if I had it to do over again, I'd use pumped breastmilk.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

bamthrilla posted:

It's actually recommended that you not do this as it's a fearful reflex.

e: er, tickling the feet. Allegedly the baby doesn't know how to respond so it can cause the baby to become distressed. I forget where I read this, but I'll try to dig up the source.

I didn't know that :O I'll stop recommending it!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Yeah in our breastfeeding class they said don't tickle or stroke the bottoms of their feet. You can tap on their feet though which should be enough to stimulate but not startle them into a fight or flight mode.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Stroking under their chin from the chin to the middle of their neck with a bit a gentle pressure will stimulate the reflex to suckle or swallow, I forget which. We used that one a lot when he was itty bitty.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Hdip posted:

Yeah in our breastfeeding class they said don't tickle or stroke the bottoms of their feet. You can tap on their feet though which should be enough to stimulate but not startle them into a fight or flight mode.

I think my LC actually told me this which could be why I'm only coming across the stupid myth about tickling baby's feet causes stuttering (I'd never even heard that old wives' tale).

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
Did any of you have gallbladder problems after birth? I've been having these "attacks" of severe pains in my right ribcage that radiate up my back every 2 weeks or so since the baby was born. It's always at night and lasts a few hours, then I'm fine. It happened about 2 weeks before I went into labor and went to the ER where they found nothing and sent me home, so I didn't do anything about it the next time it happened. Now that it's happened a few times, I am going to see my doctor but from what I read it sounds like a gall bladder thing.
If that is what it is what did they do for it?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

rangergirl posted:

Did any of you have gallbladder problems after birth? I've been having these "attacks" of severe pains in my right ribcage that radiate up my back every 2 weeks or so since the baby was born.

I didn't but a good friend had hers removed about six weeks post partum. It can be caused by the pregnancy so take it seriously.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Is it mandatory to get blood taken to check for anemia when you get to the hospital while in labor?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Papercut posted:

Is it mandatory to get blood taken to check for anemia when you get to the hospital while in labor?

I never had blood taken the entire time I was at the hospital.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Have any of you taken prescription medication for nausea/vomiting during pregnancy? I was just prescribed one, but I'm really worried about taking it because, well, obviously no medication is safer than not taking any medications at all (unless it is for treating something malicious, of course)

Whenever I ask my doctor about the safety of medications etc he always just says "Welp, there are no studies done by companies on pregnant women, so..!"

It is extremely frustrating.. :sigh:

Has anyone had success taking ginger pills to help fight nausea? I'd like to try those first before taking the prescription. I've tried just about everything else (ginger ale, preggie pops, vitamin B6, eating crackers nearly all day long)

My doctor also didn't really give me a good answer about if my poor nutrition during this stage in pregnancy is going to be impairing the embryo...

It really sucks because I like my doctor but sometimes it's almost like he doesn't understand what I'm asking, or just doesn't actually answer my question, he'll just repeat something he's already told me. Like eating throughout the day. Which is very hard when I'm always nauseous, and I've been eating very limited things, mostly crackers, soup, and mac and cheese. Been eating chicken nuggets now too so I can get some protein. I've been managing to get a little bit of salad in here and there, but if I eat more than a couple mouthfuls it makes me feel horrible.

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 2, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 21, 2017

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Graylicious, are you talking about Zofran? I'm no doctor, but I know that there've been people who took it to no ill effect here.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ben Davis posted:

Graylicious, are you talking about Zofran? I'm no doctor, but I know that there've been people who took it to no ill effect here.

Yes, the generic.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Gravitee posted:

I didn't but a good friend had hers removed about six weeks post partum. It can be caused by the pregnancy so take it seriously.

Yup...I went to the ER last night, I need to have it out.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Greycious posted:

Has anyone had success taking ginger pills to help fight nausea? I'd like to try those first before taking the prescription. I've tried just about everything else (ginger ale, preggie pops, vitamin B6, eating crackers nearly all day long)

I ate candied ginger during one of my pregnancies. It made me throw up but it also took away the nausea for a little bit.

I ended up on medication for my third pregnancy because I couldn't even keep water down anymore. The medications they give for anti-nausea during pregnancy have been used by a lot of women. I would feel comfortable taking it.

I wouldn't worry about nutrition at this point. Are you taking a prenatal vitamin?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious, I'm 14 1/2 weeks and I've been taking Zofran and b6, and unisom since 5 weeks to deal with morning sickness. Mine was severe for several weeks in the first trimester, to the point that even maxed out on meds I lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks and very nearly required IV hydration on two occasions. Now that I'm in the early part of the second trimester I could get by without the meds without needing hydration through IV, but I would still be losing weight, which would not work week since I was underweight before I lost the 8 lbs and have only gained 1 lb back as it is. The doctor has told me she expects me to be on meds a while longer (my mom was sick until about 20 weeks), but there are many women who have to stay on the entire pregnancy.

The absolute safest and best tested med for morning sickness is the combination of B6 and doxylamine succinate (the active ingredient in plain Unisom). In Canada it's sold as Diclectin and is the first line drug for morning sickness. It's been very well tested and in use for a long time and is quite safe. There is a long story behind why it's not available in the us that you can research, but you can talk to your doc about adding unisom to your b6 before starting Zofran if you want to try it. The combo is more effective than either one alone. The major side effect is drowsiness, but it tends to fade after you've been on it for a couple weeks.

Although Zofran isn't specifically approved for use in pregnant women (the way our system works almost no drugs are), it's been used to treat morning sickness, especially in women with hyperemesis, for a while now and the studios that have been done show no increased risk of birth defects or problems with the pregnancy. The major side effect is constipation.

I don't love having to be on meds, but without them I would not be functional and I'd be having trouble keeping my weight in a safe place. My situation is a little strange in that regard though, since I'm underweight at the best of times and therefore just couldn't afford the weight loss some women can. But I also needed to be functional at my job, which would still be really tough without meds.

I have to get to a meeting, but I can answer more questions about meds and link you some sites that discuss safety later today if you are interested.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Ceridwen posted:

The absolute safest and best tested med for morning sickness is the combination of B6 and doxylamine succinate (the active ingredient in plain Unisom). In Canada it's sold as Diclectin and is the first line drug for morning sickness. It's been very well tested and in use for a long time and is quite safe.

This is the medication I took but I got it from a compound pharmacy. They make it under the name FTAN (First Trimester Anti Nausea). It worked well for me and I was on it my entire pregnancy.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I wouldn't worry about nutrition at this point. Are you taking a prenatal vitamin?

Yeah I'm taking prenatals. My dr. had me taking flintstones..but I was worried the iron might be upsetting my stomach more so especially in the AM I've been taking gummy prenatals instead. Along with extra folic acid my Dr wanted me to take, and B6.

Ceridwen posted:

lots of info
I'm really early in this, only about 6 weeks (don't really know exactly right now since I have a much longer than 28 day cycle, which varies quite a bit, my first ultrasound he said I was earlier than he thought based on my last period.) I just keep my fingers crossed after 12 weeks things will be much better.

And being sick all the time has left me having to start telling a lot more people what is up, even though I wanted to wait until 12 weeks. I really hate that. Especially since I'm at a higher risk for miscarriage.

Glad to know I should be able to take the prescription safely if (when) I'm desperate for some relief.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Oh well, that was fun while it lasted.
Little Benjamin was quiet all day after release at 12pm, then crying all night. Cries when we put him down or change or bath him, but falls asleep as soon as we pick him up, never awake or alert enough after that for my partner to give him a decent breast feed. Put him down in bed and starts crying again shortly after. That was the pattern for the whole of last night.
Only managed one decent feed at 3am, but still crying until he went to sleep at 6am.
I managed to sleep from 6am to 7am, woke up to my partner trying to feed him at 7am.
He wouldn't wake up for feeds or anything after 6am, spent the whole time asleep, with my partner in tears.
Went to the hospital at 2pm because he wouldn't wake up or feed, waited there until 5.30pm to see anyone. After all the tests and prodding he was awake at 6pm and mother and baby happily feeding again. But bottom line, my partner given a few 'scrips for anti depressants and anxiety and sent home, the hospital keeping the baby for tests and observations to find out why he's so inactive during the day...
Of course my partner was devastated as everything was improving while we were at the hospital and didn't want to leave him there.
But he is being checked/treated for jaundice and possible infections.

I want that cool dinosaur blanket he has there at the hospital when that photo was taken. He's only 14hrs old here. Even then he was very quiet unless the nurses pricked his heel for a blood test, or heaven forbid, you dare touch his beany hat (that set him off big time for a minute or so, as well as undressing him for a nappy check or change, besides that, he just laid there quietly).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
If I remember correctly, your baby is a couple of days old, right? My doula emphasized that the first night or two at home is generally an awful mess. The baby is waking up from the post-birth drowsies and the mom is undergoing a gigantic hormonal shift. I know that I've read something supporting this idea online but I'm stuck on my phone at the moment and can't find it.