Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No poo poo, I don't torque much, I'm lazy, but a flywheel? Better get that one loving right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I torque anything to do with load bearing engine bits and wheels. Everything else I can usually get away with Gutentight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed. Anything holding bearings together (bearing caps), setting bearing preload (axleshafts, spindle nuts, pinion nuts, etc), or holding really important stuff on (flywheels, pressure plates, bellhousings, head bolts, valve rockers) gets torqued, anything I'm afraid I will break if I overdo it gets torqued. Anything else? Gutentight.

It really annoys me when I go to install something that needs to be torqued properly but there's no space for a torque wrench.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Someone post the torque guide for air tools again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I blasted the Volvo's flywheel on so

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

On the other end of the scale, there's a new guy at my shop who torques drain plugs. Like, he has a dedicated 3/8s torque wrench just for the purpose.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
We needed a torque wrench for Casnorf's 944 oil drain plug. IIRC, according to the shop book the motherfucker goes on at something stupid like 145nm, which is way way past Gutentight. v:hitler:v

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

My RS has had its flywheel impacted on every time. Whoopsie

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fucknag posted:

On the other end of the scale, there's a new guy at my shop who torques drain plugs. Like, he has a dedicated 3/8s torque wrench just for the purpose.
I'd rather that than him using an impact and stripping it.

I also torque brake caliper mounting bolts.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Fucknag posted:

Splizwarf posted:

We needed a torque wrench for Casnorf's 944 oil drain plug. IIRC, according to the shop book the motherfucker goes on at something stupid like 145nm, which is way way past Gutentight. v:hitler:v

sharkytm posted:

I'd rather that than him using an impact and stripping it.

I also torque brake caliper mounting bolts.

Although I've never stripped a drain plug, I've seen the results of what happens when "professionals" do. My girl's F22A1 Accord springs to mind. I had to pull the plug and file the mating surface down just to get a new one to seat. Another example, All four bash plate bolts on my hilux were stripped out by quick lube guys, under the care of a previous owner. Massively oversized self tapping plugs exist for a reason.

It may seem illogical, but aluminum oil pans, such as those on 944s or my E30, generally have many times the threads that sheet steel pans do and therefore can take far more torque.

Sharky : Caliper guides or mounting brackets? I can understand torquing caliper guides properly, as they have a tendency to break, but mounting brackets always get loc-tited and cranked down for me. Being cast iron into cast iron with huge bolts, there isn't much worry there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

Someone post the torque guide for air tools again.

HOW TO TORQUE WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH

25 to 35 ft/lbs BAP! BAP!
35 to 45 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP!
45 to 60 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
60 to 75 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
75 to 90 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
90 to 100 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
110 to 300 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ACEofsnett posted:

Although I've never stripped a drain plug, I've seen the results of what happens when "professionals" do. My girl's F22A1 Accord springs to mind. I had to pull the plug and file the mating surface down just to get a new one to seat. Another example, All four bash plate bolts on my hilux were stripped out by quick lube guys, under the care of a previous owner. Massively oversized self tapping plugs exist for a reason.

It may seem illogical, but aluminum oil pans, such as those on 944s or my E30, generally have many times the threads that sheet steel pans do and therefore can take far more torque.

Sharky : Caliper guides or mounting brackets? I can understand torquing caliper guides properly, as they have a tendency to break, but mounting brackets always get loc-tited and cranked down for me. Being cast iron into cast iron with huge bolts, there isn't much worry there.

Guides mainly, but some caliper mounts need care. Hondas come to mind.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
One of these poorly cellphone photographed oil pump drive gears is not like the other ...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I almost missed that one too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

145nm is a grunt plus an "UNNGH".

:colbert: It's on the redneck torque scale

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

HOW TO TORQUE WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH

25 to 35 ft/lbs BAP! BAP!
35 to 45 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP!
45 to 60 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
60 to 75 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
75 to 90 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
90 to 100 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
110 to 300 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!

Get a friend that weighs 160lbs & have him stand about 1' down the handle

Gutenuf

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have never torqued a flywheel. Both flexplates and flywheels received the impact, in a staggered pattern, not a radial one.

Now clutches themselves? That is another story. Especially the kind that use longer or specially shouldered bolts, or the kind with cast covers, as opposed to those with short bolts clamping down the edges of a hydroformed sheet steel cover.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fucknag posted:

I hate to say it, but this is the kind of guy people want wrenching on their cars.
I just blew a lot of money because some jackass stripped my car's knuckles (both of them), and cobbled it together in a half assed manner resulting in one of them cracking.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I am not pedantic enough to torque most bolts, but flywheel bolts are on the "torque it" list.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Psssh naw I'm not going to torque the bolts to the valve body on my transmission. Too much :effort:"

~~three days pass~~

"Guys, why doesn't my Explorer shift from 2-3 now HALP!"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Savington posted:

I am not pedantic enough to torque most bolts, but flywheel bolts are on the "torque it" list.
The word you are looking for is punctilious, or perhaps fastidious.

peremptive edit:
yes. :thejoke:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

"Psssh naw I'm not going to torque the bolts to the valve body on my transmission. Too much :effort:"

~~three days pass~~

"Guys, why doesn't my Explorer shift from 2-3 now HALP!"

I have a 3/8" inch pound snapon torque wrench just for this process. You cannot build transmissions without them.

like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-QC2R200-TORQUE-WRENCH-40-200-IN-LB-DRIVE-3-8-/300788991902

I still need to pick up a dial type in a low inch pound range for setting pinion rotation bearing preload. I used to borrow one at the shop. I haven't set up a rearend since because I don't have one.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Honda D16A6 out of my 91 Civic SI, it ran for a few weeks like this!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What the gently caress did you do to that thing? Overheat the piss out of it?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

some texas redneck posted:

What the gently caress did you do to that thing? Overheat the piss out of it?

Yes! I bought the car from a friend and fellow goon, he turbocharged it and took it to a track event that we attended. The car dumped the entire contents of the cooling system during that Saturday and still managed to survive for quite a while afterwards. I bought it from him and drove it as a DD for about six months before it was completely unable to get me to work and back. I sold it to another goon friend who took it apart and discovered this. The last month of this poor little engines life was spent doing rolling starts because the flywheel was hosed, as well as filling up the radiator every time I got in the car.

Apparently the block is fine and after a rebuild should be good to go for a while. Honda makes pretty stout motors.

Piston and rod came from this:

Edit: here is a classic mechanical failure that is not my own picture.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 28, 2012

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:stare: How much of this were you aware of while it was happening?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have a 3/8" inch pound snapon torque wrench just for this process. You cannot build transmissions without them.
I find that I prefer 1/2" drive for anything over a half inch socket I can possibly use it for. How weird am I and does this mean I will never feel the touch of a woman?

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I have a wonderfully durable Husky set that I bought a few years ago that has an 18" breaker bar (and my 1/2" drive socket wrenches).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
1/2" drive torque wrenches only go down to ~20-30lb-ft.

3/8" torque wrenches usually operate up to about 200 (+ or -) INCH pounds, which is less than 20lb-ft.

When you're working with small bolts and aluminium casings, it's best to be precise.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Sockington posted:

1/2" drive torque wrenches only go down to ~20-30lb-ft.

3/8" torque wrenches usually operate up to about 200 (+ or -) INCH pounds, which is less than 20lb-ft.

When you're working with small bolts and aluminium casings, it's best to be precise.

Got your drive sizes mixed up a bit?
My 1/4" Snapon torque wrench does 0-200 in-lbs, 3/8" does 15-100 ft-lbs and the 1/2" does 50-250 ft-lbs. On the note of aluminum parts needing exact torque, I have seen many cam seizures in four stroke MX engines because the owner didn't heed the graduated torquing sequence to 86 in-lbs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Silly Canadian trying to use Imperial measurements :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DefaultPeanut posted:

Got your drive sizes mixed up a bit?
My 1/4" Snapon torque wrench does 0-200 in-lbs, 3/8" does 15-100 ft-lbs and the 1/2" does 50-250 ft-lbs. On the note of aluminum parts needing exact torque, I have seen many cam seizures in four stroke MX engines because the owner didn't heed the graduated torquing sequence to 86 in-lbs.

Nope. My Mastercraft Maximum 3/8 only measures in inch pounds. 30-250 inch pounds. Part number 58-8557 for regular, 58-8561 for the maximum one.

Silly fuckheads thinking they know better. :jerkbag:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That's...odd. Why would you need a wrench that big for such a small amount of torque?

Side note: I'll stop (jokingly) referring to your nationality, if you quit being a defensive, namecalling bitch.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I still get mad about Boeing/Spirit calling out all their dimensions in inches sometimes. It's 2012 god damnit use the metric system :arghfist:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I wish mom and dad would stop yelling!
:qqsay:

I have a couple 3/8 torque wrenches and one's a low in/lb range, one's a high ft/lb range, and one's a piece of poo poo (but used to be an all-arounder). You can buy them to different specs, and different manufacturers will have different divisional breakdowns. Yeesh.

P.S. gently caress the metric system, Europe already gave us one hand-me-down and we're not done wearing it, okay? It's not our fault that they can't take proper care of their International Kilogram Prototype.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2012

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

rscott posted:

I still get mad about Boeing/Spirit calling out all their dimensions in inches sometimes. It's 2012 god damnit use the metric system :arghfist:

Looks like you have to deal with the fact that the best aircraft in the world are made in a country that uses inches. :smuggo:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

It's great to know that Boeing made its foreign partners on the 787 design everything in inches too.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

quit being a defensive, namecalling bitch.

Okay, that was unnecessary. Here's the deal:

Sockington posted:

Sockington posted:

Nope. My Mastercraft Maximum 3/8 only measures in inch pounds. 30-250 inch pounds. Part number 58-8557 for regular, 58-8561 for the maximum one.

A sample size of (1), with that (1) being the house brand of a loving tire store, does not constitute "usually".

Sockington posted:

I don't know what's in a Mastercraft 3/8" drive socket set, but none of my sets include things like 1/4" and 6mm. That's what 1/4" drive is for. You run less chance of destroying small bolts and weak threads if you don't use a giant fuckoff boat anchor wrench to tighten them. A 3/8" drive in/lb torque wrench makes no sense, it's like swatting flies with a bazooka.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 29, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

I got used to it pretty quickly. It's not just them, the whole industry is like that.

To be honest, it's not the use of imperial or metric that bothers me, it's when they use one system to denote something that is blatantly sized in the other, like [25,40 +/- 0,25] or [.394" +/- .002"]. Also, if you dimension a UNJF thread in millimeters you deserve a slap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Canadian Tire is not really a tire store so much as it is a collision between a Harbour Freight, 3/4 of a Pep Boys, a Sears tool department, a hunting shop, a Target housewares department, a Walmart tire department and whichever half of a Home Depot you don't need anything from at the moment. Your success in finding anything is directly proportional to how much time you invest in finding it.

Their tire selection is utterly poo poo but their in house tool brands ("Mastercraft") are usually quite good (with many exceptions once you start going down the scale of tool quality). It has its own fiat currency printed by the same supplier as our Mint. :canada:

All my torque wrenches are 1/2" so unfortunately I can't really help in this discussion but figured I would chip in. FWIW my 3/8" socket set from Canadian Tire doesn't go below 10mm, but it also came with a free hammer so the quality is suspect.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My 3/8"/1/2" mastercraft set goes down to 6mm but didn't come with a 1/4" drive ratchet, just a reducer to put em on the 3/8".

Canadian tire is nice, but I find I can get 90% of the quality at 50% of the price from princess auto. Almost my entire collection of hand tools is from there and I've only issue I've had is a powerfirst torque wrench exploding into bits when used at it's maximum setting. Their gearwrenches have taken an absolutely ridiculous amount of abuse and not failed, I've had my 32mm wrench hooked on and still not sheared the teeth.

I still stick to canadian tire for powertools because they love to mark poo poo down by 66%. Electric impact + full socket set for 100 bucks? Hell yeah.

InitialDave posted:

I got used to it pretty quickly. It's not just them, the whole industry is like that.

To be honest, it's not the use of imperial or metric that bothers me, it's when they use one system to denote something that is blatantly sized in the other, like [25,40 +/- 0,25] or [.394" +/- .002"]. Also, if you dimension a UNJF thread in millimeters you deserve a slap.

Try being an engineer for a metric company using a worldwide ISO titleblock with a plant in canada. I do that poo poo all the time thanks to imperial stock being 1/4 the price of metric :v:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 29, 2012