Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Shut up you Soviets!
:gonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Das Volk posted:

Shut up you Soviets!
:gonk:

So you can go faster if your speedo uses imperial?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Blaine"? That's not a city, that's an appliance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crustashio posted:

Try being an engineer for a metric company using a worldwide ISO titleblock with a plant in canada. I do that poo poo all the time thanks to imperial stock being 1/4 the price of metric :v:
Engineer in the UK, making bits for all the big engine manufacturers as well as a few aircraft companies. They're all much the same, to be honest. It's largely newer drawings for parts to go on older engines where, at some point, the design authority has said "Right, we're a metric company now", regardless of the fact that the part itself is for an application designed when they weren't, hence the "We're not going to call this a .625" shaft, it's 15,875!" nonsense.

I got used to it pretty quickly, so it doesn't bother me, but I think maybe the UK has done a better job of using the two systems in parallel for decades, and it'd be worse if I were European or American and there was more of a disparity in their common implementation.

Edit: It still irritates me that my car's display won't let me use ­°C if I also set it to miles. Got to be °F unless I make it kilometres.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 29, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Try being an engineer for a metric company using a worldwide ISO titleblock with a plant in canada. I do that poo poo all the time thanks to imperial stock being 1/4 the price of metric :v:

Engineer for a Canadian company that exports most of its systems to the states, Canada, and wherever the gently caress else a miniming company decides to set up camp. (Current project is going to Zambia... hosed if I'm doing that startup). Things wind up dimensioned every way you can imagine!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Okay, that was unnecessary. Here's the deal
A sample size of (1), with that (1) being the house brand of a loving tire store, does not constitute "usually".

I don't know what's in a Mastercraft 3/8" drive socket set, but none of my sets include things like 1/4" and 6mm. That's what 1/4" drive is for. You run less chance of destroying small bolts and weak threads if you don't use a giant fuckoff boat anchor wrench to tighten them. A 3/8" drive in/lb torque wrench makes no sense, it's like swatting flies with a bazooka.

Ummm?

I was saying that a 1/2" torque wrench was too much for EVERY job like the person I had originally quoted said. I explained that he might want a 3/8" one that operates at a lower scale than the 1/2" could reliably reach.

Then I was told that I must be thinking of 1/4" since my 3/8" ratchet surely couldn't read in inch-pounds.

Can't we just hug and make up? I was trying to show him other ratchet sizes have different capabilities. I wasn't trying to set the ISO for 3/8" torque wrench readings.

Also, my lovely tire store brand tools go down to 6mm in 3/8" drive. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, I need to back away for a while...my wife gave me some disturbing news and my brain checked out. Best to just ignore me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speaking of Canadian Tire, I just took advantage of their 75% off Maximum impact socket/3.5A impact gun pairing. Normally it's like four hundred stupid dollars but it was only $87. I just had to go to a few of them to actually find it (totally worth it).

Buce, I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hope everything starts to look up soon for you two.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TrueChaos posted:

Engineer for a Canadian company that exports most of its systems to the states, Canada, and wherever the gently caress else a miniming company decides to set up camp. (Current project is going to Zambia... hosed if I'm doing that startup). Things wind up dimensioned every way you can imagine!
Yeah those loving miniming companies...

(You're probably working on something my company is a JV partner on that no one here wants anything to do with :(:hf::( )

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

For a moment I thought I was in the tools thread.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It is, now that you're here :haw:

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Also, if you dimension a UNJF thread in millimeters you deserve a slap.

Who? Who does this?

But keeping with the Boeing inch thing, a friend of mine is working for an airline as a technician that use Boeing aircraft exclusively, and he has no problem with it, probably because he, like everyone else working there has gotten used to it a looong time ago.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I prefer metric for fine measuring, but imperial for long distance (mostly because the roads here in Detroit are on a grid with mile roads). I wish that inches were shown as decimals instead of fractions so it wouldn't take half a second longer to figure out what socket size is next.

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012
Not to get off topic here but I was rotating my wheels last night on my TJ when this happened.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's still enough material to put on a lug nut. I broke a stud off the front passenger wheel of my car and left it like that for about 4 years before the hub had to be replaced when the bearings went out.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

DixielandDelight posted:

Not to get off topic here but I was rotating my wheels last night on my TJ when this happened.

Why do those rotors look like that? Is that normal?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Colonel Sanders posted:

Why do those rotors look like that? Is that normal?

Looks like rear drums.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of my new neighbors has been driving around with 4/5 lug nuts for a little while. When I first saw it I thought, hey, he lost or broke one of the lugs for one of his wheels, he'll fix it when he has a chance.. not like lug nuts are expensive or hard to come by.

I was out walking the dog and noticed that all four wheels are like that. If it's good enough for Hondas...

e: It's the flash washing out the pale beige colour. vvv

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 30, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Looks like very salty roads have taken their toll on that drum. I've never seen them rust white though :psyduck:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of my new neighbors has been driving around with 4/5 lug nuts for a little while....

I was out walking the dog and noticed that all four wheels are like that.

Somebody stole his wheels and broke the lug with the wheel lock on it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sockington posted:

Somebody stole his wheels and broke the lug with the wheel lock on it.

Wow, you should go for Detective. I wouldn't have thought of that :psyduck:

Now the real questin is, did someone try to steal his, or did he steal them?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

DefaultPeanut posted:

Got your drive sizes mixed up a bit?
My 1/4" Snapon torque wrench does 0-200 in-lbs, 3/8" does 15-100 ft-lbs and the 1/2" does 50-250 ft-lbs. On the note of aluminum parts needing exact torque, I have seen many cam seizures in four stroke MX engines because the owner didn't heed the graduated torquing sequence to 86 in-lbs.

My 3/8" unit is identical to your 1/4", but snapon made it with a 3/8" socket piece sticking out of the head where your 1/4" one is. It looks funny.

Here is the one you have: QD1200 1/4" drive, 40-200 in/lbs
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=640949&group_ID=675226&store=&dir=catalog

Here is the one I have: QD2R200 3/8" drive,40-200 in/lbs
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=640950&group_ID=675226&store=&dir=catalog

the tiny little 1/4 ratchet head looks funny with the 3/8" drive sticking out of it

DixielandDelight
Jul 23, 2012

EightBit posted:

Looks like very salty roads have taken their toll on that drum. I've never seen them rust white though :psyduck:

I live in Texas actually and my Jeep has only seen one salt road which I doubt contributed anything to that rust. I have these wheels

and suspect when I go through water deep enough to cover the tires, water gets trapped in the "cup holders" for a while and lets the rust settle in. They're equally hosed on the front discs where the axle nut is rusted to poo poo though. And that white isn't rust it's just how the mud is here with a heavy concentration of limestone. You can see it on the coil and just about anywhere else

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

B4Ctom1 posted:

My 3/8" unit is identical to your 1/4", but snapon made it with a 3/8" socket piece sticking out of the head where your 1/4" one is. It looks funny.

Here is the one you have: QD1200 1/4" drive, 40-200 in/lbs
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=640949&group_ID=675226&store=&dir=catalog

Here is the one I have: QD2R200 3/8" drive,40-200 in/lbs
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=640950&group_ID=675226&store=&dir=catalog

the tiny little 1/4 ratchet head looks funny with the 3/8" drive sticking out of it

Why... Why the need for a 3/8" drive with that low of a torque setting? What could you need to torque under 200 in lbs where a 1/4" drive socket set would not be big enough? The 1/4" tq wrench in your picture is way too nice and new. Mine is old. Old enough to be made in :canada: by SnapOn

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tusen Takk posted:

I wish that inches were shown as decimals instead of fractions so it wouldn't take half a second longer to figure out what socket size is next.
They usually are on technical drawings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

There's still enough material to put on a lug nut. I broke a stud off the front passenger wheel of my car and left it like that for about 4 years before the hub had to be replaced when the bearings went out.

Wait...what? Those studs don't just pound out/in like nearly every other stud I've seen?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They sure do on jeeps, like the one posted. And there probably isn't enough stud left to put a lug nut on safely :psyduck: why would anyone even suggest that.

Easy way to pull a new one in is to take the drum off, sneak it in the back of the flange, stack a handful of 1/2" flat washers up on it, then tighten the lug nut till it pulls into the flange. Remove a few washers at a time and retighten till it bottoms out the head of the stud on the back of the flange. Back the nut off and you're all done. Saves pulling the diff apart to remove the c-clip so you can get the axleshaft out and put it in a press.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 31, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DefaultPeanut posted:

Why... Why the need for a 3/8" drive with that low of a torque setting? What could you need to torque under 200 in lbs where a 1/4" drive socket set would not be big enough?

I already made a complete rear end of myselfargued this point a couple pages ago.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Motronic posted:

Wait...what? Those studs don't just pound out/in like nearly every other stud I've seen?

Oh, they do. And I had the nut and the stud to replace it. Just never got around to it. Eventually the hub went out and I just replaced the whole drat thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Oh, they do. And I had the nut and the stud to replace it. Just never got around to it. Eventually the hub went out and I just replaced the whole drat thing.

I'm not talking about your car or the fact that you somehow think studs break in a manner where there are enough threads to put another lug nut back on. I'm talking about the one belonging to the DixielandDelight.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Motronic posted:

I'm not talking about your car or the fact that you somehow think studs break in a manner where there are enough threads to put another lug nut back on. I'm talking about the one belonging to the DixielandDelight.

Studs can break like that and I've seen it a couple times but its certainly not common.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DefaultPeanut posted:

Why... Why the need for a 3/8" drive with that low of a torque setting? What could you need to torque under 200 in lbs where a 1/4" drive socket set would not be big enough? The 1/4" tq wrench in your picture is way too nice and new. Mine is old. Old enough to be made in :canada: by SnapOn

Overtightening a carb with an aluminum base plate is stupid easy and the torque specs for mine are 14-18 ftlbs. Too tight will bend the corners and cause a vacuum leak at best...at worst the corner'll break off. I've done both. :(

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

DefaultPeanut posted:

Trust me, if I would have had access to Ebay etc back in 1995 when I bought that, and ran across a cheap 1/4" I would have snapped it up. As it was, the other trans builder I learned from had one of this 3/8" type and I just asked the SnapOn guy to get me "one of the same".

It really came in handy because I kept a very clean and uncluttered bench. I could just pop the same socket from the air gun (only used for teardown), then pop it onto the speed wrench (which I ran one handed), then I could pop it onto the torque wrench at the end (for proper torquing). No multiple grabs into the tool box, no extra sockets laying around, I am just a clean, efficient, and meticulous person.

If I were rebuilding one of my regular common auto trans like 700R4/4L60e, AXOD/AXODe, 4L80e, E4OD I could build like 3 a day including most of the R&R. That dropped to 2 or even 1 for less common trans.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I hear ya. That would make it pretty drat convenient swapping between teardown and build not needing to have two drive sets kicking about.

On a side note about transmissions, what do you know about the 4L30e?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

They usually are on technical drawings.

If I got a technical/engineering drawing with fractions on it I would probably die from laughter.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

joat mon posted:

So you can go faster if your speedo uses imperial?

These are the same speeds... (?)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Tusen Takk posted:

I wish that inches were shown as decimals instead of fractions so it wouldn't take half a second longer to figure out what socket size is next.

How about drill sizes? As you go smaller they go from fractions, to letters, to just a number.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So. Hurricane Sandy sent a storm surge through a storage lot in Port Newark, in which lived 16 Fisker Karmas.

They caught fire and blew the gently caress up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would imagine that a Fisker kills way more trees when they blow up than a normal car :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tusen Takk posted:

I would imagine that a Fisker kills way more trees when they blow up than a normal car :v:

It's ok because they'll recycle them into the dash of the next ones.