Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has there ever been any talk about a blu version of Picnic at Hanging Rock? I thought for sure that they'd do a better re-release of that one before Salo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Powell and Pressburger on Blu-ray :3:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Colonel Blimp is a Great Film. I would buy any of P&P's 1940s films. A Canterbury Tale, The Small Back Room, I Know Where I Am Going, and A Matter of Life or Death are all masterpieces just a much as masterpieces as Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes.

The Small Back Room is horribly overlooked

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Small Back Room is worth the entry fee just for the gin bottle sequence.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has there ever been any talk about a blu version of Picnic at Hanging Rock? I thought for sure that they'd do a better re-release of that one before Salo.

Several years ago they did an Amazon poll asking customers which title they'd like released on Blu-Ray. Picnic was one, as was Kwaidan and I think Solaris and a couple others I don't recall.

Howard's End won :(

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

FitFortDanga posted:

Several years ago they did an Amazon poll asking customers which title they'd like released on Blu-Ray. Picnic was one, as was Kwaidan and I think Solaris and a couple others I don't recall.

Howard's End won :(

Jesus Christ.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Small Back Room is worth the entry fee just for the gin bottle sequence.

David Farrar is magnificent. As is Kathleen Byron. One thing I love about P&P's films is the acting talent. Great filmmaking , of course, but you also have gems of roles like Roger Livsey in Blimp and Life & Death, Anton Walbrook in that and The Red Shoes.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Okay, as my recent sale purchases finally showed up on Monday, I watched The Red Shoes last night and it turned out to be the best blind buy I ever made. Looking forward to the Bluray treatment of their other films now.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know exactly when the B&N sale starts up again this November?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

codyclarke posted:

Oh gently caress me, I forgot. There goes another chunk of my paycheck. :smith::fh:

Anyway, shouldn't it be the entire month of November?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

codyclarke posted:

I've been browsing the last few pages of this thread looking for this very answer myself.
Normally it's a 2-3 week period during November, but I haven't found any dates confirmed. I can't wait much longer to get my hands on the bluray of In The Mood For Love.

I know this has been discussed in the past, but what are some Criterion DVDs that are worth blind-buying that won't be getting the bluray upgrade anytime soon?
Off the top of my head, I've been mulling over Shoot the Piano Player and The Bad Sleep Well.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

friendo55 posted:

I've been browsing the last few pages of this thread looking for this very answer myself.
Normally it's a 2-3 week period during November, but I haven't found any dates confirmed. I can't wait much longer to get my hands on the bluray of In The Mood For Love.

I know this has been discussed in the past, but what are some Criterion DVDs that are worth blind-buying that won't be getting the bluray upgrade anytime soon?
Off the top of my head, I've been mulling over Shoot the Piano Player and The Bad Sleep Well.

I dunno if there's been any talk about All That Heaven Allows getting an upgrade, but if not, that one's a great blind-buy.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

friendo55 posted:

My local B&N calls customers who've put their name on an in-store list, and I was called yesterday to be informed that the Criterion sale will be starting on October 30th (or 31st, I forget) and will extend for 2 to 3 weeks. Presumably that applies nationwide.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

Pina - I would have sworn someone already released this on Blu. Maybe they did.

Mongrel Media released a 3D Blu+Blu+DVD combo pack for Canada.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

For those that don't know, the B&N sale is live!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

friendo55 posted:

Are pre-orders included? Considering the Qatsi trilogy...

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Cacator posted:

Are pre-orders included? Considering the Qatsi trilogy...

I just picked up blurays of:
In The Mood For Love
The Game
Rosemary's Baby
Lonesome
Rashomon
Brazil

So I'm hoping with you that the pre-order for Brazil sticks!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

friendo55 posted:

But...but I can't get to any of the local B&N. Hurricane Sandy :negative:

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

leokitty posted:

But...but I can't get to any of the local B&N. Hurricane Sandy :negative:

Amen. So close... yet so far away.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

friendo55 posted:

I just picked up blurays of:
In The Mood For Love
The Game
Rosemary's Baby
Lonesome
Rashomon
Brazil

So I'm hoping with you that the pre-order for Brazil sticks!

gently caress, I forgot about the Brazil reissue. Thanks :mad:

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I am going to the store so loving hard tomorrow oh my god I should probably set a spending limit.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
How long is this supposed to run? I just started a new job and while I can't afford really take advantage of the sale, I want to at least pick up Royal Tennenbaums.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Goodbye, money, I'll never forget the times we had together.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I'm going to wait till the Summer sale ... I'm going to wait till the Summer sale. :negative:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Kevar posted:

How long is this supposed to run? I just started a new job and while I can't afford really take advantage of the sale, I want to at least pick up Royal Tennenbaums.

Someone was saying it lasts 2-3 weeks, so you have some time.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Urgh. Either going to wait until summer or cash in all my christmas gifts from family now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought I was safe until I saw that they allowed preorders from December. drat, there were a lot of good movies coming out in December.

:(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I held myself back. I bought The Darjeeling Limited because I love Wes Anderson and I've really been meaning to see all of his movies, and I also bought The Forgiveness of Blood because I really like the cover, it sounds interesting, and one of my roommates is Albanian. My girlfriend is also getting me Roshomon and a random one from a few that I listed for our anniversary.

Very excited!

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 30, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Ergh. The idea of paying a discounted price on some of those December releases is really tempting, but I just paid off my credit card bill that included the Criterions I bought from their website last month and Christmas is coming up, so I'm going to hold back.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Finally have some disposable income for this, so I went nuts and got:

Three Colours
Solaris
Seventh Seal
Branded to Kill
The Royal Tennenbaums
In the Mood for Love (I bought a Wong Kar-Wai, how shocking)

All in all, good haul.

edit: Man, two French movies, and one English, Swedish, Polish, Japanese, Chinese, and Russian each. Talk about variety.

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 31, 2012

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Got myself:

Rosemary's Baby
In the Mood For Love
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Repulsion
Tokyo Drifter

All BDs.

Folks at the store today said this sale lasts through the 19th.

Shochiku Horror Eclipse set comes out on the following day. Pre-orders made at the discounted rate online during this time are honored even after the sale ends, correct?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Satorr posted:

Shochiku Horror Eclipse set comes out on the following day. Pre-orders made at the discounted rate online during this time are honored even after the sale ends, correct?

I imagine that the worst that could happen is that they cancel the order.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
So I'm guessing the new film in the newsletter is Chaplin's "Monsieur Verdoux".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It is. Kind of a bad choice on Criterion's part since it's a really weak film. Especially when there's still The Circus, City Lights, and The Kid to be released. Maybe they'll at least pair it up with A King in New York to get them out of the way.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Verdoux is not a weak film at all. It's a bit odd in that it isn't really constructed in a way that plays to Chaplin's trademark strengths, and it's a bit long, but it's a great dark comedy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Verdoux is not a weak film at all. It's a bit odd in that it isn't really constructed in a way that plays to Chaplin's trademark strengths, and it's a bit long, but it's a great dark comedy.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being really annoying. Chaplin plays it with this smugness that rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, I actually liked A King in New York, which everyone seems to hate.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being really annoying. Chaplin plays it with this smugness that rubbed me the wrong way.

How is this not every other Charlie Chaplin film?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I have zero will power, they sent me a coupon code. Ordered only one: Rosemary's Baby. Going in blind!

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Safe Driver posted:

I have zero will power, they sent me a coupon code. Ordered only one: Rosemary's Baby. Going in blind!

I watched Rosemary's Baby a few years back just because it kept appearing on too many top lists. I'm not as impressed with Roman Polanski's early stuff as most people so I didn't expect much.

I'm watching it again right now and I was super excited that it finally came to Blu Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
e: wrong thread