Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Biowarfare posted:

This also happens randomly, even when you specifically aren't being hit! To ensure there is no performance degradation to your website, we are temporarily routing all traffic directly to your server. Once peak performance is back, we will automatically re-enable CloudFlare.

This actually sounds awesome, as it's much better than the alternative of having a free service just make your website go down when you're getting attacked. The worst case scenario is that your server is unprotected, which is where you would be anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Just bought a Linode 512 from work to put our company website on (Joomla) to get it off our production web server.

And now I just got told I had to move it to a 'real' hosting company: Rackspace cloud! :haw:

Linode > Slicehost

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Bob Morales posted:

And now I just got told I had to move it to a 'real' hosting company: Rackspace cloud! :haw:

Linode > Slicehost

Just host your dns on rackspace and point out 'We're clearly on ns{1,2}.rackspace.com if you check our whois'. Bonus points if you can swip or rwhois your linode ips to respond with rackspace like response.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

3spades posted:

Just host your dns on rackspace and point out 'We're clearly on ns{1,2}.rackspace.com if you check our whois'. Bonus points if you can swip or rwhois your linode ips to respond with rackspace like response.

Rackspace cloud nameservers are *.stabletransit.com

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

You guys are devious genius's.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
I've got a dedicated Windows Server box on which I hold a few customers .Net sites on, is there any decent software out there to monitor traffic on the server as a whole?

I'm occasional slow down on a few sites at times where nothing specific appears to be running, and I need to find the culprit. The only sort of traffic analysis I can do at the moment is through Google Analytics on the sites themselves, but I'm looking for something to monitor the server as a whole.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

osigas posted:

I've got a dedicated Windows Server box on which I hold a few customers .Net sites on, is there any decent software out there to monitor traffic on the server as a whole?

I'm occasional slow down on a few sites at times where nothing specific appears to be running, and I need to find the culprit. The only sort of traffic analysis I can do at the moment is through Google Analytics on the sites themselves, but I'm looking for something to monitor the server as a whole.

Watch your memory, page in/outs, DB wait/traffic, and CPU load when you're having the problem. I'm not sure exactly what you're running but with NewRelic we can get timings for each page - it's easy to see the problem when it's some page that takes 2.5 seconds to load a sidebar because it's not cached or there's a ugly loop in it.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
I was browsing SHSC and saw this thread. I recently moved a family member's website up to AWS S3+Route53+GoogleApps as a replacement for their shared hosting service. I use EC2 for some personal colo but hadn't bothered to use cloud services for web+email hosting until now.

The OP is somewhat bare on this topic and I haven't read the other 46 pages of this thread to see if anyone else is doing this kind of crazy. Is anyone interested in seeing an overview of what I did? If so I'll write something up that could be enjoyed by future generations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm interested :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
As am I :cheers:

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
Forgive me, I realized two things.
1. This is more of a trip report and not an overview of 'what is AWS' that would go in the OP. Sorry. AWS is quite broad and could probably have a megathread of its own. That said, I'm really in love with it and if you want to know more about it feel free to ask me questions. There's really no reason not to try it out. For the first year you get a lot of things for free.

2. The site I migrated is a simple static site, no Wordpress or PHP or MySQL. It's literally a webpage written in HTML with a CSS style sheet and nothing more. Party like its 1999. (Did I mention this was for a family member?) So for a lot of you this may not apply.

This write-up assumes you have a basic understanding of Amazon Web Services. For everyday use I use EC2 as a basic off-site shell account (irc, reachability tests, etc). Occasionally I use it to compile OpenWRT for my Linksys E2100L.

Migrating from CPanel/LAMP shared hosting to AWS S3 and GoogleApps

As mentioned above, I recently migrated a website over to AWS and GoogleApps. This is a simple S3 / CNAME setup for static web hosting, with Google doing the A record redirection for the zone apex / dns root. More on that later.

This method is great if you:
-Don't need advanced features of Apache. S3 does *not* do directory password protection via .htaccess the way Apache does.
-Don't use MySQL or any server-side scripting of any kind. Static content hosting is all you'll get from S3.
-Don't want to maintain your own LAMP server. If that is your hobby, great use an EC2 instance. It's not my thing and I don't want to deal with the labor or liability of maintaining that environment. I'd rather leave that to someone else.
-Want cheap hosting. Monthly S3 storage for a tiny 23mb website costs less than $0.01. S3 Transfer out is expected to be very cheap for so little content with relatively no volume.
-Want reliable up-time. This setup only uses one Availability Zone for which S3 will be redundant within that zone. In theory this should be more reliable than a single shared host. So as long as the US-East/Virginia region stays up, the site will be up. Note if you want region redundancy you'll need to get fancy with Elastic Load Balancing, and then things start getting expensive.
-Want your site to stay up even if you get slashdotted.
-Can't use Comcast/your ISP/geocities/some free webspace for hosting the above because it is either violation of their ToS (commercial etc) or you have very rigid beliefs about ownership of the content you've produced or you don't want them injecting banner ads into your site.

Here's what I did.

DNS via Amazon Route53
DNS was previously serviced by the old hosting provider and I wanted to manage it with Amazon Route53.
Route53 costs $0.50 per month per domain name. There is a nominal cost per request.
For these simple records (several As, one MX, one SPF) I could have used some other free DNS service, but Route53 is scale-able, fast, and I wanted to manage this under as few roofs as possible.

The Route53 console is pretty self explanatory if you know how to manage DNS records. I set the TTL to 60 seconds for the first week while I was making changes, and replicated everything that was on the previous provider. So at first, the site was still hosted by the old provider.

Once the records were entered into Route53, the cutover was a simple matter of logging into GoDaddy and pointing the name servers for the domain to those provided by AWS.

Web via Amazon S3
1. Archive the site contents from the old provider.
2. Create a bucket on S3. The bucket name must be exactly the same URL that users will type. For example www.somesite.net
3. Upload the site contents to the bucket.
4. Edit the properties of the bucket, under the Website tab enable it and give it the index document. At this point you'll have an endpoint like www.somesite.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com. Test that URL out and make sure it works the way you expect.
5. Point DNS for www.somesite.net to a CNAME that points to S3. Previously we had an A record for www.somesite.net pointing to an IP address. I changed it to a CNAME pointing to www.somesite.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com

E-mail via Google Apps
Now it was time to migrate e-mail. For that I used Google Apps.
1. Sign up for this service and follow the on-screen instructions. You will have to prove ownership of the domain by writing a .htm file to the site. When Google can load that file you can continue. I used administrator@somesite.net when I created the account but I suppose you could use anything.
2. Create user mailboxes. If you have to, deal with migrating old e-mail up to them (have fun).
3. Set MX records to Google. The dashboard will walk you through this, it's a simple matter of set four lines for the MX record in Route53.
4. Set SPF records to Google. I used "v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all"
5. Log into one of your users on g-mail and test the functionality by sending/receiving email.
6. Note, I pointed mail.somesite.net to the G-mail CNAME using the dashboards instructions.

Domain Apex / Root / Naked Domain redirection
S3 does not redirect somesite.net to www.somesite.net. Most people expect both of these to load the same site. For this you either need an apache server doing the redirection OR someone nice to do it for you. You can use www.arecord.net or GoogleApps. Both worked in testing but I ended up using Google because they are slightly less fly-by-night.
In the GoogleApps dashboard its under Domain Settings for the primary domain. Forward your naked domain

Errata for GoogleApps redirection
Now that I've configured redirection for this domain, I'm damned if I can find the setting again... gently caress, there's a bug in the dashboard and some users aren't seeing the option to change the redirect once it is configured. See Derek_R's post on Sep 9 here
There's a workaround if you first login to the dashboard and load this URL manually:
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domainname.com/DomainSettingsChangeNakedRedirect
I don't expect to change where somesite.net redirects to, but that's sloppy on the part of Google.

Imodium AD fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 12, 2012

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?
Sorry that turned into a wall of text. All that above took me 3 hours to figure out. Maybe it will save someone time.

If you just signed up for AWS for the free year and want a shell account to play with, you can probably retrofit the building OpenWRT guide to suite your needs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Linode > Slicehost

Disaster so far. Rackspace Cloud can suck my left nut.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Bob Morales posted:

Disaster so far. Rackspace Cloud can suck my left nut.

What's your experience so far, I have a buddy who's employer told him the same thing. I've never dealt with Rackspace before so I'd like to share your experience with him.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

What's your experience so far, I have a buddy who's employer told him the same thing. I've never dealt with Rackspace before so I'd like to share your experience with him.

Rackspace Rackspace has been fine. Rackspace cloud (or anything <$1k p/m really) is just ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

The one I created had and IP address and password yesterday - but this morning it change. So I could ssh into it, but the server had no outgoing connectivity. I submitted a ticket but they take 24 hours to answer it, so after about 7 hours I just did the live chat:

quote:

Customer Chat

Chat Transcript

Thank you for your patience. A representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome to the Rackspace Cloud! My name is Oscar R, how may I help you?
Oscar R: Hey Robert, how are you?
Robert: Hi - I activated a Cloud server yesterday, and it
doesn't seem to have outgoing internet access
Robert: But I can ssh into it
Oscar R: Have you configured your server already?
Robert: The only thing I have done is added a user
Robert: I wasn't sure if the interface needs configured or a
firewall rule needs to be added
Oscar R: You would need to configure the server. Sorry about that.
Oscar R: The server comes pretty much blank. So you would need to
configure what you need on the server.
Robert: Then I would need the default route and subnet mask,
right? I can see the IP in the dashboard
Oscar R: Here is a link to our knowledge center this will help you
with configuring your server.
http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/search/site/cloud%2520essentials
Robert: Is there an article about networking? and where do I
find that network information in the dashboard?
Oscar R: One moment.
Oscar R: What I would recommend is speaking with one of our senior
techs so that they can assist you with this. You can reach them at
1-800-961-4454 or you can create a ticket. They would be able to
assist you better with this.

Their knowledgebase sucks and I swear they have two different dashboards.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Bob Morales posted:

The one I created had and IP address and password yesterday - but this morning it change. So I could ssh into it, but the server had no outgoing connectivity. I submitted a ticket but they take 24 hours to answer it, so after about 7 hours I just did the live chat:

Their knowledgebase sucks and I swear they have two different dashboards.

Wow, looks like they have an outsourced helpdesk to fill their promise of 24/7 support. Keep us posted on your experience, it would be good to learn from your pain and misfortune ;)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It appears they have a first-generation product/dashboard and a second. I thought there was just a failure with the provisioning of our first server. The IP address I got from their system last night didn't match up to the dashboard in the morning. So I blew it away and created a new one, but it has the same problem. There are two interfaces, eth0 and eth1, one is on Rackspaces internal network and the other should have public IP assigned to it. But the interface isn't up. At least somehow we could ssh into the last one.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there some sort of primer on what to look for when buying an SSL cert? Or is it pretty much just a matter of buying one with the nicest looking site seal?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

rawrr posted:

Is there some sort of primer on what to look for when buying an SSL cert? Or is it pretty much just a matter of buying one with the nicest looking site seal?

It's either EV, EVWildcard, wildcard, or normal. Nothing else matters pretty much..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rawrr posted:

You mean Comodo doesn't call you 3 times a week trying to sell you one? gently caress those salespeople.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

Wow, looks like they have an outsourced helpdesk to fill their promise of 24/7 support. Keep us posted on your experience, it would be good to learn from your pain and misfortune ;)

We're all set. The problem basically came down to them having two dashboards for the cloud poo poo, and one not having the second gen servers, just the first, while the other dashboard has them all. But you can view trouble tickets for them all in both dashboards.

Then, they never gave our Rackspace (regular managed hosting) dashboard access to the page where we had to go in and create the firewall rules (if you do them via ip tables, they get wiped out when you reboot or something). So it wasn't very smooth and their support stinks, but we've got it all settled.

IMO Linode blows them away in dashboards, support tools, hell even their Java console is way better.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
If anyone is legitimately interested in partnering up for webhost sales I've been on and off the idea over the last few years but at this point am really wanting to get into it. Some of you know me, I've been in pretty high technical positions at HG, Rackspace, Hostway, things of that nature and am always looking to build some side projects that could turn into something further.

I'm well aware of the market saturation and would like to go for the niche areas which I'm already developing.

I currently run an MSP (local), but at this point I'm looking to network and develop as many projects as possible. It's a hobbit. And it keeps me from going to see terrible music here in Austin everyday.

Feel free to drop me a line, my contact informational is available via profile.

Hell, just the general communication of experienced webhosters would be incredible. I've created ##hosting on Freenode if anyone would like to partake in some Plesk vs Cpanel vs Boxbill vs WHMCS vs pftables discussions.

Edit: It's a habit, but I like the hobbit thing.

vty fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2012

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

vty posted:

If anyone is legitimately interested in partnering up for webhost sales I've been on and off the idea over the last few years but at this point am really wanting to get into it. Some of you know me, I've been in pretty high technical positions at HG, Rackspace, Hostway, things of that nature and am always looking to build some side projects that could turn into something further.

I'm well aware of the market saturation and would like to go for the niche areas which I'm already developing.

I currently run an MSP (local), but at this point I'm looking to network and develop as many projects as possible. It's a hobbit. And it keeps me from going to see terrible music here in Austin everyday.

Feel free to drop me a line, my contact informational is available via profile.

Hell, just the general communication of experienced webhosters would be incredible. I've created ##hosting on Freenode if anyone would like to partake in some Plesk vs Cpanel vs Boxbill vs WHMCS vs pftables discussions.

Edit: It's a habit, but I like the hobbit thing.

When you say "interested in partnering up for webhost sales", what is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish with this post? I'm legitimately curious.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Imodium AD posted:

Web via Amazon S3
1. Archive the site contents from the old provider.
2. Create a bucket on S3. The bucket name must be exactly the same URL that users will type. For example https://www.somesite.net
3. Upload the site contents to the bucket.
4. Edit the properties of the bucket, under the Website tab enable it and give it the index document. At this point you'll have an endpoint like https://www.somesite.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com. Test that URL out and make sure it works the way you expect.
5. Point DNS for https://www.somesite.net to a CNAME that points to S3. Previously we had an A record for https://www.somesite.net pointing to an IP address. I changed it to a CNAME pointing to https://www.somesite.net.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com

Non-sarcastic question: why is Amazon S3 preferable to GitHub pages for this purpose?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

mooky posted:

When you say "interested in partnering up for webhost sales", what is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish with this post? I'm legitimately curious.

I'm doing hosting on the side on my own, if anyone experienced and interested wanted to discuss jumping on board with me it'd be motivating. SEO nuances and marketing are the major tasks right now.

On the flip side, if you have no experience on the business/technical end you'd unfortunately be no help.

Imodium AD
Sep 11, 2001
wut?

xtal posted:

Non-sarcastic question: why is Amazon S3 preferable to GitHub pages for this purpose?

Not knowing anything about GitHub pages it came completely down to personal preference. This was a favor and the content owner told me to do whatever I thought would be the best and easiest solution. So for me it was to use AWS, I like the way they're doing things and I am already a very satisfied EC2 customer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So, anyone's East coast server underwater this morning?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Glorious Michigan datacenter master race.

My old job has almost all of their servers in NJ and eastern PA. I should check with them to see if everything is horrible.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Lost peers / bgp sessions last night :smithcloud:

also some other stuff last night

quote:

Dear Customer,

**EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION**

Please be advised that Internap's LGA11 facility is experiencing significant flooding in the sub-basement of the 75 Broad Street building as a result of Hurricane Sandy. The flooding has submerged and destroyed the site's diesel pumps and is preventing fuel from being pumped to the generators on the mezzanine level. The available fuel reserves on the mezzanine level are estimated to support customer loads for approximately 5-7 hours. Once this fuel supply has been exhausted the generator will no longer be able to sustain operation and critical customer power loads will be lost. We urge all Internap customers to take necessary remote action, if shutting down equipment in a more graceful fashion is possible before the outage occurs.

The building itself is being evacuated and no remote hands support will be available to assist in any equipment shutdown. Life safety is our number one priority and we are making plans to completely exit the facility. No customer access to the building is possible at this time either. Due to the evacuation, Internap will not be able to provide any exact updates on when the fuel will be exhausted and critical customers loads lost, but as noted, we believe it will take place in approximately 5-7 hours from now.

Agile customers are advised to begin shutting down their servers immediately. For our Pro-managed customers, the customer support team will begin shutting down your servers gracefully at 12:30am EST to avoid damage to your equipment. For our cloud customers, we will also being shutting down the infrastructure at this time.

Internap will continue to work hard to assess the situation and our recovery plans, and will communicate those plans as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this crisis.

You are receiving this because you are an active Internap (formerly Voxel) customer.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

New Jersey DC supremacy (what?).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

doomisland posted:

New Jersey DC supremacy (what?).

My gear in NJ went down too (but it's just a cheap backup server)!

quote:

Teb1 and Teb2 in Secaucus are running on Generator service.
We have lost our links to NY4 in Secaucus and 111 8th Avenue NYC (Formerly Switch and Data). There may have been a slight downtime while BGP rerouted due to the loss of these locations, which includes public/private peering as well as abovenet 10G links.

Our XO link unfortunately has gone down again.

Our Cogent link has now gone down, which was our last link. Currently the Secaucus NJ network is down. ETA in progress.

I'm still getting utterly hosed up routing (like 229ms from LA) to most points in nY, had a few timeouts yesterday and reboots in VA/MD but it hasn't really gone down

:smithcloud:

Impotence fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 30, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

My gear in NJ went down too (but it's just a cheap backup server)!

I'm still getting utterly hosed up routing (like 229ms from LA) to most points in nY, had a few timeouts yesterday and reboots in VA/MD but it hasn't really gone down

Our DC in NJ is online with utility power but inaccessible apparently. Better than broken fuel pumps and such. Any yeah, routing is super awesome and hosed~

http://www.renesys.com/blog/2012/10/hurricane-sandy-initial-impact.shtml

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
So how's everyone else doing? My kit isn't up (for more than a short amount of time) yet.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Biowarfare posted:

So how's everyone else doing?

Wishing for quick death. Its not fun being on the service provider end. Just as we're in home stretch of fixing it all 2 locations are threatening to go dark again.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Huh, I've been with Lithium Hosting for over a year now. I thought it had only been 6 months or so which made the 'This is the first/second/third notice/your account has been terminated for non-payment' emails a bit shocking. I should have updated that contact address to an email address I actually use. Woops!

I liked the service enough to re-up for 3 years though (a whole $30). See you again in 3 years when I forget to update my credit card Lithium Hosting! :v:

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003
Is there anything more I can do with regard to getting outgoing e-mail from a VPS to not be marked as spam? I was told to enable DKIM and SPF, but even that doesn't seem to help. It seems to be happening more frequently, and it doesn't appear that we are on any kind of spam/blacklist of any sort.

Would dedicated e-mail hosting solve our issues? And if so, should we go with Google Apps? Rackspace Mail? Hosted Exchange? At the moment, there are about 20 users, with mailboxes ranging from <50MB to 2GB/year, using Apple Mail/iPhone as mail clients via IMAP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Captain Libido posted:

Is there anything more I can do with regard to getting outgoing e-mail from a VPS to not be marked as spam? I was told to enable DKIM and SPF, but even that doesn't seem to help. It seems to be happening more frequently, and it doesn't appear that we are on any kind of spam/blacklist of any sort.

Would dedicated e-mail hosting solve our issues? And if so, should we go with Google Apps? Rackspace Mail? Hosted Exchange? At the moment, there are about 20 users, with mailboxes ranging from <50MB to 2GB/year, using Apple Mail/iPhone as mail clients via IMAP.

A lot of VPS providers IP's are blocked from free DNS hosts so I imagine they're blocked by most email servers.

Are you hosting your email on that box or are you using it to send out mass e-mails? If it's the former, you should have been on hosted email in the first place. If you like Outlook/Exchange get hosted Exchange, if you like GMail get Google Apps.

If you're trying to send out mass e-mails, either get a dedicated hosted box (they don't gently caress with ours at Rackspace) or use something like Mailchimp.

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of VPS providers IP's are blocked from free DNS hosts so I imagine they're blocked by most email servers.

Are you hosting your email on that box or are you using it to send out mass e-mails? If it's the former, you should have been on hosted email in the first place. If you like Outlook/Exchange get hosted Exchange, if you like GMail get Google Apps.

If you're trying to send out mass e-mails, either get a dedicated hosted box (they don't gently caress with ours at Rackspace) or use something like Mailchimp.

Apparently, we have been hosting our e-mail on the box for a while now. It's something I inherited from the last "person that knows computers" here, and the issue with spam only got brought to my attention now.

Google Apps would probably work best for us, but if cost is a consideration, is there anything wrong with Rackspace's offering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
You could start by checking to see where the IP is blacklisted. You may be able to get it delisted, depending on the cause.

If it's what Bob Morales said and the range is blocked automatically, then yeah, you're pretty much out of luck.