Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I think anything that makes a quick reliable click noise should work just fine. I never got my act together to use it, but I have a little clicky noisemaker thing that was a party favor/piņata goody. Theoretically you could just make a noise yourself, but it's hard to keep the sound uniform that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Amaya posted:

I'm really wanting to get the birds started on recall training but everywhere I've read says that clickers are basically necessary. I've found some places online that sell them but they're so cheap that I can't see the point in getting them shipped...I have something that makes the 'clicker' noise (it's a little half sphere with a smilie face on it that has a clicker inside) and was wondering if that would work? They just need a consistant noise right?

Alternatively, is there anywhere I could just go to and buy one at? We have a pet smart and pet co but I've never seen any there? Then again I didn't look in dog or cat sections...

You can grab one in the dog section for like $1.99 or something.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

mjs6643 posted:

You can grab one in the dog section for like $1.99 or something.

Sick that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I'm bummed. A Hahn's macaw I helped train into an affectionate lovebug needs to be rehomed away from the little girl he went home with. Turns out the grandmother of the family is horrifically allergic to the bird dust. You never see small children and parrots being BFF, but these two are over the moon for each other. :smith: I might foster him for a bit, but keeping six birds that loath every creature in existence would stretch the quality and quantity of time I could give them. SIGH.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Hey, bird bros / broettes!

I've been trying to clicker train my four month old cockatiel since the day I got it (a bit over two weeks ago). I ended up coming across a pretty good set of books by Ann Castro. I believe she's a bird behavior consultant, and I particularly enjoy the format of her books. I've given Clicker Training and More Clicker Training a skim, and I've recently started working through Clicker Training with my bird.

One of the best tips she offered, in my opinion, involves making a training log. With it, you can keep track of behaviors you desire from your bird, what progress was made during any given training session, and what should be worked on in the next session. Sometimes I wonder if I'm making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyway, try to get the digital versions. It's tons cheaper than the printed ones.

http://www.thebirdschool.com/shop/

Also, here is a dumb video of me getting preened by my sassy bird. :>
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwisaotome/8136503804/

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Official Bizness posted:

I'm bummed. A Hahn's macaw I helped train into an affectionate lovebug needs to be rehomed away from the little girl he went home with. Turns out the grandmother of the family is horrifically allergic to the bird dust. You never see small children and parrots being BFF, but these two are over the moon for each other. :smith: I might foster him for a bit, but keeping six birds that loath every creature in existence would stretch the quality and quantity of time I could give them. SIGH.

If you were in LA I'd totally give that bird a good home :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hahaha, he is FURIOUSLY preening your dreads. That is freaking adorable. :3:

Anyway, I promised I'd photodump Amadeus now that I'm home -- not like you guys don't see him every time I post. I'm not going to write up a big ol' profile of him because, well, I utterly adore this bird and nobody wants to read seventeen paragraphs of LITERALLY A BIRD telling everybody how much better her parrot is than theirs, even if it is true. :colbert:

This is Amadeus. He helps me cook.

And by that I mean he assaults anything bottle-shaped, samples whatever is within 6 inches of his beak, mimics the smoke alarm randomly to send me into a panic, and is the best kitchen buddy ever. (Don't worry, all of these antics take place only when the stove or oven is not on and I am cooking with bird-safe foods!)

He likes to play floppybird, mostly because when he's being bad or it's time for bed he knows that flopping in my hand and looking as a-goddamn-dorable as possible will melt my cold, bird-caging heart. It works every time. He has me trained well.

loving JINGLY-BALLS MAN I WILL KILL THEM I WILL KILL EVERY loving JINGLY-BALL

Hair is The Best Thing. He likes to preen it, fight with it, hide in it, and bury his face in it. I've had my hair bobbed for a while, but I'm growing it out again just to make him happy. I am a Bird Crazy.

He also likes to photobomb me.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 31, 2014

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amadeus is literally making me :3: in class.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Is he bothered by the camera flash at all? He always looks so chill in your pictures, despite it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

He doesn't seem to be! When I take pictures without the flash he usually ignores me and goes about his Important Conure Business. The moment a flash goes off, though, he zooms to my shoulder and starts mugging for the camera. I'm not sure if he thinks he's protecting me from an EVIL WICKED MONSTER or just aware that he'll be the center of my attention if he's clambering all over me during camera flashes, but it's adorable either way. :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I need to get me a Green Cheek or Black Capped. And a Quaker. And a Meyers. And a Grey and a Jardines and...

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He doesn't seem to be! When I take pictures without the flash he usually ignores me and goes about his Important Conure Business. The moment a flash goes off, though, he zooms to my shoulder and starts mugging for the camera. I'm not sure if he thinks he's protecting me from an EVIL WICKED MONSTER or just aware that he'll be the center of my attention if he's clambering all over me during camera flashes, but it's adorable either way. :3:

They know. When I pull out my camera to take a picture of a cockatoo she started dancing and opening her crest, and conures will try to go as close as possible to it. Birds always want to be the center of attention. :3:

Man a lot of my friends' dream birds are like scarlet macaws, hyancinth macaws, palm cockatoos etc, but I'm a man of simple tastes, I just want a blue throated conure like Ohtori. :3:

Also a Quaker and Senegal and oh god i'm becoming a bird crazy

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh, don't be silly, Chlorine. You've been one of us since you set foot in these threads.

one of us.
one of us.

:h::parrot::h:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

My bird is broken. He immediately stops doing cute things when he sees a camera or my phone and starts trying to attack them :( :( :( Ozzy is a closet-cute bird, he doesn't want any evidence of his nice side to surface on the internet.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

My bf and I did end up getting a gcc, but I've been so busy moving and tying up loose ends I haven't been able to make a proper post. Til then, here are some spoilers:
Baby birds=the best
Green cheeked conure=the best
Baby green cheeked conure=not enough :3: in the loving world

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Oh, lord. The birds are not enjoying the hurricane. I have two lovebirds in my hair, one stuffed in my shirt, and two green cheeks warbling under my hands and making displeased noises when I have the audacity to type. Everyone hates each other, but apparently SCARY WIND AND WINDOWS RATTLING mean it's time to put down their birdy arms and snuggle the human.

I have to pee. :saddowns:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

After being gone all day (Mondays at my school :argh: ) Mickey climbed on my shoulder and started berating me in whatever bird language he speaks. But every time I said "pretty bird" he stopped mid-tirade and gave me kisses. :3: birds.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
You all need Senegal Parrots. They are the best. Charlie's new hobby is to perch on top of a chair in front of the cockatiel cages and say "Archer" and "Ellie" and make cockatiel noises until Archer gets pissed and then he laughs at him.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
You need to make a huge big Charlie post! The secret secret is that after the cockatiel infiltration comes the iron-clawed Poicephalus rule (Penis Land > Bird Crazies III).

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A question, bird crazies.

Frankie was a Very Good Bird on Saturday afternoon and permitted :siren: ACTUAL PETTINGS :siren:. We're talking full-out head scritches and running hands all over her with no biting or threats of biting or anything.

Then she started doing this thing where she bent forward on her perch and stuck her butt in the air and wiggled her butt.

Is my girlfriend's bird coming on to me? Because, I'm sorry Frankie, but Daisy the Siamese scarf-kitty already has a claim on me.

Edit: Bonus pictures:

Lookit that sexay leeeeeeg

Why yes as a matter of fact I am a crazy dancing burd, why do you ask?

Not a bird, but perhaps some serious competition? Frankie does not seem to be the shoulder-sitting kind of bird. Daisy, however...

Edit: WTF imgur why are my pictures all sideways?

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 30, 2012

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Mad Hamish posted:

Is my girlfriend's bird coming on to me?

Yep.

Poor little naked goffin. If she still picks at all, give her lots of things to shred, that seems to help a lot. My goffin loves phone books.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

These threads are making me want a bird so bad. I lurked through the entire first bird crazy thread and now this one but I work full time and live in an apartment. :( There's no way I'd be able to make it work for a pet like that. My bird desires live vicariously though all of your photos!

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Poop Cupcake posted:

These threads are making me want a bird so bad. I lurked through the entire first bird crazy thread and now this one but I work full time and live in an apartment. :( There's no way I'd be able to make it work for a pet like that. My bird desires live vicariously though all of your photos!

Same. Reading these threads really makes me want to get a conure, they seem to be really fun companions. Unfortunately I move around a lot and I'm not in a position to have a pet just yet. I'll just have to be content with looking at cute bird pictures and reading funny stories that people post on this thread.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
If it's the moving around reason, you might be able to foster a bird while you're still wherever you're at. Talk to your local rescue, tell them honestly what's up, and just see what they say. It might be your introduction to small birds or whatever.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Man a lot of my friends' dream birds are like scarlet macaws, hyancinth macaws, palm cockatoos etc, but I'm a man of simple tastes, I just want a blue throated conure like Ohtori. :3:

Oh. Oh my. :3:

Poop Cupcake posted:

Finches not your kind of thing either? I loved my zebra finches, obviously no comparison to a parrot but adorable as hell, fun to watch, and their cheeping was nice to listen to.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Finches not your kind of thing either? I loved my zebra finches, obviously no comparison to a parrot but adorable as hell, fun to watch, and their cheeping was nice to listen to.
Finches are actually the only birds that I've seriously considered. They're so cute and it doesn't seem like they would take up a ton of space or mind that I'm gone all day. :3: I'd love to get a small parrot like a budgie or cockatiel, but there's no way that's going to happen with my working and living arrangement.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Indeed, when I saw his picture my heart just melted and I needed to have a blue throat conure. So adorable :3:

My friend keeps several lovebirds and they entertain each other pretty well, maybe you could look into keeping more than one small parrot? Though in your situation I would advise finches though. They can be tamed to like scratches and all that, my other friend has a bulbul and a canary and a whydah that will just chill on his hand, eat food and let him rub their heads. :3:

EDIT: Oh my god I cannot stand the adorableness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvRzAUNlXt0

I swear to god all ringnecks are born adorable and stay that way. They'll eat your finger, but still. :3:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 30, 2012

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Indeed, when I saw his picture my heart just melted and I needed to have a blue throat conure. So adorable :3:

Older photos buuuut

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Pretty sure this is conure.jpg

Seriously Sunny wants to eat EVERYTHING GO GO GO that I am eating, while Cheeky just runs away. :saddowns:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

alucinor posted:

Yep.

Poor little naked goffin. If she still picks at all, give her lots of things to shred, that seems to help a lot. My goffin loves phone books.

She gets things to shred and I'm not seeing feathers on the bottom of the cage.

I really don't want her coming onto me, though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

She gets things to shred and I'm not seeing feathers on the bottom of the cage.

Think about it like this... pretty soon you'll have a fully clothed bird coming onto you instead of a half naked bird because she's happy!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Mad Hamish posted:

Petting below the neck is foreplay to a bird, so really you started it. ;) Confine your scritches to her head and face, that's pretty much the only way to stop encouraging sexy behavior.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Deadly Chlorine posted:

I swear to god all ringnecks are born adorable and stay that way. They'll eat your finger, but still. :3:

I'M BUYING A RINGNECK RIGHT NOW UGHHH. I'm so glad they're not really available in stores or anywhere close to me or else I'm sure I'd have 50 different birds and snuggle them all in a big pile :(

I was looking at videos though and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtR-M7nihno

:ohdear: Why are they in drawers...? I know zip about raising babies and especially not macaw babies but uh this seems awful and horrible and :'(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Deadly Chlorine posted:

My friend keeps several lovebirds and they entertain each other pretty well, maybe you could look into keeping more than one small parrot? Though in your situation I would advise finches though. They can be tamed to like scratches and all that, my other friend has a bulbul and a canary and a whydah that will just chill on his hand, eat food and let him rub their heads. :3:

D'awwwwwwww

And linked off of that video, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE6OmsFlknU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

We bought two flight suits for Novolo! She's completely unafraid of them, and objects strenuously but not fearfully to being dressed up in one. This means we can skip the acclimation phase and go straight to getting her used to wearing it! I'll be making a tiny felt pirate hat to go with the pirate suit :D

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Amaya posted:

:ohdear: Why are they in drawers...? I know zip about raising babies and especially not macaw babies but uh this seems awful and horrible and :'(
Half a guess, but to regulate heat and it mimics a nesting environment. "Momma bird" feeds baby every time she comes back to the nest...and baby gets used to being touched by humans.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I want a Hahn's so bad... miniature macaw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlIY5xDAQw

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

alucinor posted:

Petting below the neck is foreplay to a bird, so really you started it. ;) Confine your scritches to her head and face, that's pretty much the only way to stop encouraging sexy behavior.

Well dang. The head and face scritches are also the ones that can lead to horiffic mutilation-by-bird. But I certainly don't want to encourage weird.....um....bird lust? That would probably be a terrible idea.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Does she use sticks and stick-like toys to scratch herself with? If so, work on clicker training* to get her to allow you to scratch her with a stick, then work up to a head scritch with a finger. Make sure she knows that the head scritch will ONLY come with treats, never with any other unwanted touching (nail trimming, picking up, going back to cage, whatever). Keeping your hand curled into a specific position with only one or two fingers being used to scritch may help with that.

*I don't bother with actual clickers, my goffin is afraid of them, I just say GOO'BOOY in a particular tone that I don't use any other time.

Goffins are insanely smart. He's learned everything I've tried to teach him within a few repetitions. However, it HAS to be something he WANTS to do. No amount of sunflower seeds or mashed yams will get him to do something he doesn't want to do. If it's not, he'll make his whiney "nuh-uh" noise and sit there begging for the reward. But he learned to step up to go to "floor" and "window" and "back on house" in literally one repetition each.

When he's feeling particularly bitey I offer him his reward off a wooden spoon so that he can't use the reward as an excuse to bite. He has a history of saying "gimmie kiss" and then biting people's noses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Somebody was behaving this morning.

Getting ready for scritches:

Enjoying scritches way too much: