Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010

DStecks posted:

Play more Slayer I guess.

(I've also found that fact annoying. I think it would be better at least if only the primary colour was changed to the team colour.)

Wasn't it like that in Reach or 3 or something? I thought one of the games only changed your primary color, but your secondary and other colors stayed the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I think it was like that in 2. Red/Blue became your primary color while what you chose as your primary became your secondary color.

Really wish there was an option where you could toggle team colors on/off in the theater.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Yeah, everything is interchangeable, forearms, shoulders, shins, chest, etc, very much like Reach. The Deadeye one looks pretty cool but overall the new style will have to just grow on me I think.

They look a lot better in motion, I think. Personally I think they all look pretty good in those HD screenshots with maybe one or two exceptions, but I remember going from "wow all of these designs are really bad" to "oh, that's actually pretty cool-looking" by paying extra attention to the player models when watching gameplay videos.

Except Soldier, which I still think has a really dumb-looking helmet.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

All of those helmets look like dog poo poo. I'll probably just wear the default helmet forever.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm trying to read Glasslands but everyone has incredibly dry internal narration and there's multiple Harry Potter references before page 50 and it is just really awful. I knew in advance that people didn't like how the author treated Halsey, but I assumed that was plot related, not the author torturing her with the way she writes.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Spaz Medicine posted:

I will only buy Halo 4 if they bring back mongoose rocket race. :colbert:

It's you. You're the person who ruined old multi-team for me and my doubles partner.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

kater posted:

I'm trying to read Glasslands but everyone has incredibly dry internal narration and there's multiple Harry Potter references before page 50 and it is just really awful. I knew in advance that people didn't like how the author treated Halsey, but I assumed that was plot related, not the author torturing her with the way she writes.

I finished it a week or so ago. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but then again I had really low expectations (due in part to how much poo poo people talk about Traviss).

When the story focused on the more original stuff (the failed-Spartan-turned-ONI-agent character, the Elites civil war, etc) it was kind of interesting. But when Traviss turned towards her whole "everybody hates Halsey" schtick, it got pretty tedious.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

NTT posted:

It's you. You're the person who ruined old multi-team for me and my doubles partner.

If any race game type gets picked I dashboard out before the game starts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Oh, yeah :downs: Well, maybe it uses the Oddball or something instead this time around, I was just kind of making up an example.

Yeah, between adding Oddball back and them saying Griffball would be in, I bet there's an option for Oddball to have to take the ball somewhere rather than hold it, and that could provide for Oddball-CTF (to get the old feel of being able to drop the flag and pick it back up) or Oddball-Assault.

Hm, on second thought, if griffball is its own type, we might be in trouble. But maybe you can just mod the griffball type?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oddball is cool but unless Halo 4 has Hot Potato I'm cancelling my preorder.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

ironlung posted:

This is a wonderful idea, why have I never thought of this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Illumination posted:

I played Anniversary awhile back and had fun with it too. I did have a bit of rose-tinted glasses with it though. I forgot how repetitive Assault on the Control Room is. I only remembered the outdoor parts and driving the cool tank. I didn't remember the endless interior sections that featured the same drat room with slight variations to it. The Library was less of a slog than that level.

For shits and giggles I decided to replay the entire halo series in chronological order, ending with 3 right before 4 came out. (Skipped Halo Wars, not my thing)

Reach, Anniversary, 2, ODST, 3

I really like how they did Anniversary. I was worried 343i would change too much, but running both the Halo 1 and Reach engines simultaneously is impressive, and it pays off. I love being able to swap back to Halo 1 at any moment, and also having the updated graphics is great too.

That said, I definitely forgot how repetitive parts of 1 and 2 are.

Assault on the Control Room is indeed long. I like it for the scorpion tanks and open snowy levels, but as you said, there's lots of forerunner bridges that are pretty much copy&paste.

Two Betrayals reuses lots of Assault on the Control room. Keyes reuses lots of Truth and Reconciliation. The Maw reuses from Pillar of Autumn (although is also pretty heavily different). I'm okay with this, you're fighting flood and you're doing them backwards, but still... yeah. 343 Guilty Spark feels pretty copy & paste too, lots of flood (uggh). And then there's the Library, everybody's favorite. Copy paste, paste, paste. Flood, flood, flood.

In 2, Delta Halo and Regret feel like the same level going on and on. Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone are just The Library 2.0, now as The Arbiter. Flood, Flood, Flood.

I always held Halo: CE up above the others as having the best campaign, but now I'm realizing how much ODST and Reach really improved on the storytelling aspect.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Spartan Ops Season 1 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85ywt27ybM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

O_O

Oh man, I was hoping for some space action, EVA suit covenant seems awesome!

Whoa, the Lich!

I'm also a little sad there's only the 3 types of promethan, but the many varieties seem pretty good and pretty different. I like all the varieties between the covenant types too, lots of different elites.

So, does this mean no brutes or drones?! :3:

Hell to the yes. If 4 really has no flood and no brutes, it may be my favorite Halo ever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

O_O

Oh man, I was hoping for some space action, EVA suit covenant seems awesome!

Whoa, the Lich!

I'm also a little sad there's only the 3 types of promethan, but the many varieties seem pretty good and pretty different. I like all the varieties between the covenant types too, lots of different elites.

So, does this mean no brutes or drones?! :3:

Hell to the yes. If 4 really has no flood and no brutes, it may be my favorite Halo ever.

Oh my god. I just realized drones are out, hopefully. This really will be the best Halo game :woop:

Also, I finally realized what seemed a little off to me about the armor sets: Is anyone else reminded of Mass Effect? A lot of the armor suits look like something I could see one of the mercenary organizations from ME2 wearing. I still think they look good (though the more traditional Halo-looking ones are my favorites) but I'm seeing a pretty strong...similarity, if not inspiration, to the Blue Suns, etc. from ME2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Oh my god. I just realized drones are out, hopefully. This really will be the best Halo game :woop:

Also, I finally realized what seemed a little off to me about the armor sets: Is anyone else reminded of Mass Effect? A lot of the armor suits look like something I could see one of the mercenary organizations from ME2 wearing. I still think they look good (though the more traditional Halo-looking ones are my favorites) but I'm seeing a pretty strong...similarity, if not inspiration, to the Blue Suns, etc. from ME2.

I can see what you mean, for sure. Definitely hits that same aesthetic.

The map Complex reminds me of Mass Effect SO MUCH. Like, is it just me, or is that an ME3 multiplayer map? Lol.

On the other hand, there's only so many ways to make a badass armor suit. But yeah, I think I too will gravitate towards the more halo-looking ones.

Awesome. I think Spartan Ops may be my favorite part of 4. I've always been a huge co-op gamer, and that's always something I've loved about the Halo series. Firefight was a great addition.

50 missions for free? It sounds like they're really supporting this and making a big deal of it.

The production quality of that trailer looked very high, I'm excited to see the story.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 30, 2012

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Holy balls Spartan Ops looks loving amazing. Those cinematics!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zaphod42 posted:

For shits and giggles I decided to replay the entire halo series in chronological order, ending with 3 right before 4 came out. (Skipped Halo Wars, not my thing)

Reach, Anniversary, 2, ODST, 3

I really like how they did Anniversary. I was worried 343i would change too much, but running both the Halo 1 and Reach engines simultaneously is impressive, and it pays off. I love being able to swap back to Halo 1 at any moment, and also having the updated graphics is great too.

That said, I definitely forgot how repetitive parts of 1 and 2 are.

Assault on the Control Room is indeed long. I like it for the scorpion tanks and open snowy levels, but as you said, there's lots of forerunner bridges that are pretty much copy&paste.

Two Betrayals reuses lots of Assault on the Control room. Keyes reuses lots of Truth and Reconciliation. The Maw reuses from Pillar of Autumn (although is also pretty heavily different). I'm okay with this, you're fighting flood and you're doing them backwards, but still... yeah. 343 Guilty Spark feels pretty copy & paste too, lots of flood (uggh). And then there's the Library, everybody's favorite. Copy paste, paste, paste. Flood, flood, flood.

In 2, Delta Halo and Regret feel like the same level going on and on. Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone are just The Library 2.0, now as The Arbiter. Flood, Flood, Flood.

I always held Halo: CE up above the others as having the best campaign, but now I'm realizing how much ODST and Reach really improved on the storytelling aspect.

Quarantine Zone is the best level in Halo 2 and I will fight anyone who says different :colbert:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

ironlung posted:

I like race, it really breaks up the monotony of elite slayer at swordbase seven times in a row.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

This is going to be so loving good!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

V for Vegans posted:

I like race, it really breaks up the monotony of elite slayer at swordbase seven times in a row.

I don't know what to tell a man who doesn't see the simple pleasure of spawning every life with a sticky. :colbert:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Anyone by chance have an hd image of the new heavy grunt?

That guy is awesome! Lookit his little eyes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Anyone by chance have an hd image of the new heavy grunt?

That guy is awesome! Lookit his little eyes!

Found this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/266/9/9/halo_4_storm_grunt_heavy_by_uhzenostrom117-d5fm0qc.png

Not exactly HD, but a solid shot of the heavy.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am fond of the shot @ :55 where the editing makes it appear that the ship captain is indifferent that he just smashed his ship.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

"-then it's our duty to help them along!"

Yeaaaaaaaaah, gonna have to get the hell out of this.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Female Gold armor code (obviously can't use it!!!!!!):
3V2QP-WRMGF-GD2DC-DWCRK-MDVQZ

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

NTT posted:

I don't know what to tell a man who doesn't see the simple pleasure of spawning every life with a sticky. :colbert:
I don't know what to tell a man who doesn't find this awesome. :colbert:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
This pic of Jen Taylor (voice of Cortana) makes her look like Beaker from The Muppets lmao

https://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/263459670595887107

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

This pic of Jen Taylor (voice of Cortana) makes her look like Beaker from The Muppets lmao

https://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/263459670595887107

She looks like she is recovering from a cold.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:patriot:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Jennifer Hale's in this as a gruff sci-fi naval Commander. Whelp. Okay. I'm down.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dan Didio posted:

Jennifer Hale's in this as a gruff sci-fi naval Commander. Whelp. Okay. I'm down.

Even better, pretty sure she's a SPARTAN. :v:

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Are those limited, signed, collector's edition Doritos and Dew in a loving case? Tell me those are swag from some con or future midnight release event because if that's for sale I want to kick everyone who bought one.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I bet it's for press only, that can looks cool as hell.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Gamestop sucks balls. That is all. Not going to bother elaborating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Booties posted:

Gamestop sucks balls. That is all. Not going to bother elaborating.

I can already guess what it is that happened. Everything about Gamestop is bad.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BabyMauler posted:

I bet it's for press only, that can looks cool as hell.

Literally sent to gaming 'journalists'

Great timing after that hilarious dew/doritos pic too

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PunkBoy posted:

Even better, pretty sure she's a SPARTAN. :v:

She is, she's one of the SPARTAN IV's.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

I said come in! posted:

I can already guess what it is that happened. Everything about Gamestop is bad.

All I wanted to do was change my pre order location. I guess I can cancel and get store credit and do a new one but I still have to go there anyway so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope Newegg sends out copies this Friday, but all signs point to that being a negative. I won't get to play until like Friday next week, but I got a real good deal through them so it was worth it.

• Locked thread