Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I had a calculator in first grade that was similar to this except it was a little Hispanic kid with a sombrero. Every time you hit equals it would blast "la cucaracha".

The 80's were a great time for unrelentingly obnoxious children toys.

Edit:

Confirmed, today's kids are boring as poo poo. I want to meet the nerd rolling around with a loving tom tom on his bike...

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3250989

Jimlit has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Oct 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Win+Arrow keys is great if you're using dual extended monitors, because it means you can snap windows to both sides of the display.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tears In A Vial posted:

Windows Key is awesome, and anyone that doesn't use it is missing out.

I use all of these every day:

Win = Start Menu
Win+D = Desktop
Win+R = Run
Win+E = Explorer
Win+F = Finder
Win+L = Lock Desktop
Win+M = Minimize
Win+Shift+M = Un-minimize
Win+Arrow Keys = Do some stuff to your current browser window

Also Win, U, U will shut down the computer. Comes in handy some times.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Is this being used anymore? I always assumed it was an East coast thing, I cant remember seeing any of these in California.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

b0nes posted:

Is this being used anymore? I always assumed it was an East coast thing, I cant remember seeing any of these in California.

I go through about five of those daily where I live in Minnesota. :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

b0nes posted:

Do you mean revolving doors in general, or just those slow-moving, automatic revolving doors?

But yeah, the hospital here in town has one of the automatic ones.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I imagine in mild climates there's not so much reason for them, but where you have temperature extremes they save a lot of energy over what hot/cold air can blow through open doors. The last set I went through was in a building only a few years old.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Tears In A Vial posted:

Windows Key is awesome, and anyone that doesn't use it is missing out.

I use all of these every day:

Win = Start Menu
Win+D = Desktop
Win+R = Run
Win+E = Explorer
Win+F = Finder
Win+L = Lock Desktop
Win+M = Minimize
Win+Shift+M = Un-minimize
Win+Arrow Keys = Do some stuff to your current browser window

Don't forget another one: Win+Pause/Break to go to System Properties. More useful than you'd think.

Actually, here's the list of all keyboard shortcuts in Windows. There's some in there I didn't even know about before.

Smoke has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Oct 30, 2012

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Different book as I grew up later, but you reminded me that I still have my original copy of this wonderful thing:

*the way things work*

Those mammoths taught me so much about the world :allears:

Oh hey, I had that book too. Also had it on CD, with an upgraded version or something coming out half a year after I got the first one.

And speaking of the thread's theme ... Encyclopedias on CD. I still have Microsoft Encarta 2000 laying around somewhere. It's even less used than our encyclopedias from the early 80s, which I tend to read in whenever I'm bored. Remembering when USSR was a country, as with Western and Eastern Germany, Czechoslovakia and Jugoslavia. "Good" times.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

b0nes posted:

These are essential to keeping a large lobby warm in the winter. The quickest way to make the receptionists and security guards mad is to unleash the cold wind by going through one of the regular doors.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Nixie tubes. They had their heyday from mid 1960s until early 70's when they were displaced by much more practical fluorescent displays. Here is the clock I built using tiny 1969 Hitachi tubes scavenged from a broken calculator.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Nixie tubes. They had their heyday from mid 1960s until early 70's when they were displaced by much more practical fluorescent displays. Here is the clock I built using tiny 1969 Hitachi tubes scavenged from a broken calculator.

They still have their place in modern society as being an over-priced clock commodity.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Jibo posted:

They still have their place in modern society as being an over-priced clock commodity.

I agree, and also, unreasonably expensive and clocks found on ebay are tacky as gently caress. I got my tubes for free though. :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I've got a Nixie clock too, built with one of the pre-programmed boards and tubes salvaged from an old cash register.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

b0nes posted:

Our Morrisons supermarket has one of these.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Different book as I grew up later, but you reminded me that I still have my original copy of this wonderful thing:
hose mammoths taught me so much about the world :allears:
I saw this in a children's bookstore relatively recently.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

b0nes posted:

The hotel I stayed at in Atlanta this summer had a door like this, it was awesome at maintaining the 25 degree difference between the lobby and the outside.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jibo posted:

Also Win, U, U will shut down the computer. Comes in handy some times.
Only works in XP, so semi-appropriate for this thread, I guess :v:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

b0nes posted:

*revolving doors*

They're all over Norway at least. Both in malls, airports and at hotels. And I believe I've gone through a couple in hospitals too.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I have that bear-shaped one for some reason. I think I won it as a prize for doing all my homework in like third grade or something. As far as I know it doesn't make any noise though.

metalfingers
Jul 9, 2005

hurf

Goober Peas posted:

These are essential to keeping a large lobby warm in the winter. The quickest way to make the receptionists and security guards mad is to unleash the cold wind by going through one of the regular doors.

I think their development was also spurred on by the increase in skyscrapers and hotels with large multi-storey atriums at the turn of the last century. They prevent air rushing in when a regular door is opened thanks to the chimney effect and because some doors were almost impossible to open because of pressure differentials.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Donkwich posted:

Are door locks banned where you live?

Locked doors are very suspicious in my household

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

b0nes posted:

Airpots all over the East Coast.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Datasmurf posted:

They're all over Norway at least.

And Canada. And Phoenix. Basically, anywhere that there's likely to be a large difference in air temperature between inside and outside -- they form a sort of airlock that lets people come in and out without transferring much heat back and forth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

In Germany, there are lots of them. The one I know most of is used by a electronic shop in my city:

It is by far the stupidest one I know, though. Several times impatient morons have stopped that thing and subsequently trapped themselves in it. (It's slow as gently caress and if you try to push through, it just stops and an employee has to come over and start it up again.) It's funny as long as you aren't one of the unlucky ones getting trapped alongside those idiots.

Edit: I just stumbled upon this post while backreading:

baw posted:

He's also full of poo poo. His Brief History of whatever the gently caress says that glass is a liquid.

It might seem a bit nitpicky, but a modern science writer saying that sort of thing is really stupid.

What the gently caress? If you want to be nitpicky, you should really know that glass is a liquid. Hell, even a glance on Wikipedia showed me two different pages where glass is called a liquid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_liquids_and_glasses
Here glass is filed together with liquids -and the references go only back to 2006, latest. So it probably isn't out of date.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glas#Definition
The German page even openly cites the thermodynamical classification of glass as an frozen, subcooled liquid:

Thermodynamisch wird Glas als gefrorene, unterkühlte Flüssigkeit bezeichnet

The German page has references from 2012 by the way, so the chance of something so simple like the definition of glass itself probably isn't wrong here, either.

Sorry that I got so riled up about that one sentence, but calling glass a liquid isn't stupid, like you seem to think. And if you had just taken a few seconds of time to look it up, you wouldn't have had me flipping out about it.

Libluini has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Nov 1, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Libluini posted:

What the gently caress? If you want to be nitpicky, you should really know that glass is a liquid
Its not. Its an amorphous solid.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its not. Its an amorphous solid.

And it is also described as subcooled liquid. That's beside the point. I just saw someone going "Bill Bryson sure is stupid, thinking glass is a liquid, durr!" when in reality, glass is described as liquid or liquid-like even on something easily available as Wikipedia. He could have looked that up himself in seconds flat instead of writing how wrong Bill Bryson was.(I honestly don't remember that stuff about glass from his book, but I only read it in German, so maybe something was changed in translation. Or my memory is bad, one or the other.) That kind of dismissive thinking is just wrong, it irks me. So I edited my post to add a counterpoint.

Let's just drop this derail now, before we end up debating glass for pages.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters? As an American I've always wanted to ride one, and I guess the reason they haven't brought them to the states is that they are lawsuit bait. Or they're actually dangerous as gently caress. I don't know.

Farecoal posted:

Locked doors are very suspicious in my household

Yes I see the logic of how much worse it is to be suspected of masturbating than to actually be caught masturbating.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Donkwich posted:

Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters? As an American I've always wanted to ride one, and I guess the reason they haven't brought them to the states is that they are lawsuit bait. Or they're actually dangerous as gently caress. I don't know.

I've never seen one of those in my life. I think I'd make a special weekend trip just to ride one.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Donkwich posted:

Does Europe still have a lot of paternosters?

Never seen one. Wikipedia says there are very few extant here in Sweden. The ones that are left are in older office buildings, and not accessible to the public.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The danish parliament still has one.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
So does the Finnish parliament. Always looks hella rad on TV.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paternosters make my teeth itch with how obviously unsafe they are.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Libluini posted:

And it is also described as subcooled liquid. That's beside the point. I just saw someone going "Bill Bryson sure is stupid, thinking glass is a liquid, durr!" when in reality, glass is described as liquid or liquid-like even on something easily available as Wikipedia.
I love how someone is trying to correct going for their PHD in chemistry with a Wikipedia article. One that ironically is contradicted by the English variant of the same article. A glass is any solid categorized by an unordered structure and undergoes a state change where it becomes gooey and liquid at a temperature called the glass transition temperature. Closest analogous thing is to think of the bricks of raman noodles and how they remain a giant brick before you cook them. They in theory can move apart on their own but the odds of that happening are slim. As you cook the raman and apply energy you end up with the Raman noodles moving about far more easier. Its akin to melting but it not the same exact thing. Sorry about the weird example but its pretty much how it looks if you are dealing with polymers like polycarbonate. The chains of the polymer are not really linked together in any significant way but because they are in such a jumble twisted mess they can't really go anywhere.

Also, its actually an entirely appropriate discussion because of how this idiotic myth got reinforced. The myth itself was reinforced by obsolete glass making techniques which resulted in thinker edges on the bottom and thinner middles. Of course the old fashion way of making glass was rather inaccurate which resulted in an uneven distribution of materials but people thought it was because "glass flows".

MadScientistWorking has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Nov 1, 2012

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Donkwich posted:

Germany has lots of them, some are even open to the public. Apparently, building new ones isn't allowed since 1974 and the government tried to ban them as early as 1994. For complicated German legal reasons that didn't work out. To confuse matters more, East Germany never tried to phase out paternosters, so they build lots of them even after 1974. Nowadays, as long as the paternosters are always state of the art, no one gives a gently caress. If safety is a concern, they are simply closed to the public. Well, except for the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main. They have something called the I. G. Farben Building, including a full-working paternoster which is only half-closed: As long as you are a clerk or a student of the university, you can get a license to use the paternoster. There are regular patrols to control the licenses, though.

Solon, a German solar-energy company even succesfully commissioned a new one in 2009 for it's office building in Berlin -they avoided the 1974 ban on new paternosters by simply changing the name of the elevator from paternoster to "Rundlaufaufzug". It works essentially the same as all paternosters, but for legal reasons you can't call it that.

Here are some pictures:

The IG Farben paternoster. (The one you'll need a license to use.)

The new Solon-paternoster "Rundlaufaufzug".

Edit:

I love how someone is trying to correct going for their PHD in chemistry with a Wikipedia article. One that ironically is contradicted by the English variant of the same article. If you are right most of the solid materials that you handle on a daily basis would be recategorized as liquids namely because glass isn't this special snowflake of a material that has these properties. Polycarbonate is actually a common plastic that is also a glass.

Also, its actually an entirely appropriate discussion because of how this idiotic myth got reinforced. The myth itself was reinforced by old fashion glass making techniques which resulted in thinker edges on the bottom and thinner middles. Of course the old fashion way of making glass was rather inaccurate which resulted in an uneven distribution of materials but people thought it was because "glass flows".

Holy poo poo, I didn't know there was an entire myth about this glass-is-liquid stuff. I only know about this because during first semester I had to take a seminar to refresh chemestry knowledge. (I looked up my notes and you are right -glass was described as an amorphous, crystalin mass. Apparently we just discussed how liquid-like glass was with our professor and I confused that with GLASS REALLY IS LIKE SOME SORT OF LIQUID, YOU GUYS! Oops.)

On the other hand, in thermodynamics glass is still described as a liquid. Now I don't know what Bill Bryson said about glass, since I only had this to work with:

baw posted:

He's also full of poo poo. His Brief History of whatever the gently caress says that glass is a liquid.

It might seem a bit nitpicky, but a modern science writer saying that sort of thing is really stupid.

And it could have been that Bryson was talking about the thermodynamical description, even if I account for me being totally wrong on the chemical front. Sadly, I gifted my version of the book to a friend, so it could take a while to reread it.

Libluini has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Nov 1, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Libluini posted:

(I looked up my notes and you are right -glass was described as an amorphous, crystalin mass. Apparently we just discussed how liquid-like glass was with our professor and I confused that with GLASS REALLY IS LIKE SOME SORT OF LIQUID, YOU GUYS! Oops.)

Its really dam confusing. The only reason why I know this is because of the fact that its come up in the course of my research.

MadScientistWorking has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Nov 1, 2012

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Its really dam confusing. The only reason why I know this is because of the fact that its come up in the course of my research.

The funny thing is, most of my fellow students first reaction was more like "Durr. Glass is hard. Glass is like shiny stone." Luckily, no one of us was studying to become a glassmaker, or there would have been a problem. :v:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Donkwich posted:

Yes I see the logic of how much worse it is to be suspected of masturbating than to actually be caught masturbating.

Not worse but just as bad, yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those paternosters look like a plaintiffs attorney's wet dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Libluini posted:

The funny thing is, most of my fellow students first reaction was more like "Durr. Glass is hard. Glass is like shiny stone." Luckily, no one of us was studying to become a glassmaker, or there would have been a problem. :v:

I don't know, my friend majored in glassblowing in college and I am 75% sure he told me that glass was a liquid and used the old window thing as the example. The other 25% chance is that I actually brought it up and he corrected me and I'm misremembering it because college.