Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
It would be interesting to see what the story would be like if he wrote it all out and uploaded it like that, rather than this way where fan input shapes things at times.

However, I think it's worth pointing out that that is also a benefit - it means he can hear actual constructive criticism and improve himself while in the process of creating the comic too, rather than just hitting a plateau at a certain point and not improving from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Rob punched through a wall and pulled the electicity out of it.

That's pretty loving badass

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Rob is loving awesome. I really hope this is the end of this battle, though. Also:

lazerbot posted:

well DBZ isn't the only show that has a lot of fighting in it so that point of yours is pretty stupid, DBZ didn't have much of a storyline like my comic does, the powers and everything else is original and well if you really see similarities then you sir are a dip poo poo

Lazerbot really doesn't like being compared to DBZ.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I lost it at my desk when I saw this face.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Call Now posted:

Rob is loving awesome. I really hope this is the end of this battle, though. Also:

Lazerbot really doesn't like being compared to DBZ.

Also DBZ never had a character who could punch electricity through a wall

I mean drat. :black101:

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008
gently caress him up Rob.

As for the debate about whether we've affected too much by tapping on the glass, in a way I think it was inevitable. If SA hadn't really discovered the comic at it's beginning some other group on the internet would have considering how bizarre the goddamn thing is and the fact that it's in a fandom that a lot of people A) are part of and obsess over due to being creepy fucks or B) people obsess over in finding the shittiest parts of it and dragging it into the streets for other people to see and hope they'll leer at it's creators along with them like a bunch of assholes. I think it's kind of cool how the comic ended up defying our expectations, but I really wonder if Lazerbot would have ever gotten the support or genuine admiration he's gotten here from any other group.

That being said, yeah. It's obvious he's changed his flow from writing entirely for himself like in the early chapters to writing for an audience even beyond the fact that he references things from the thread. In a lot of ways while LazyB has a good head on his shoulders I think it's obvious that, regardless of how old he is, he's still impressionable. It's kind of a double edged sword, in the end. I think the fact that he's aware of us and that he has a fanbase is a big thing that's motivated him to keep going and improve his storytelling and art, but at the same time a lot of it is aimed at entertaining us and talking to us instead of a general audience.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It is probably a good thing that SA discovered it and got his attention rather than say, the Sonic fanart tumblr community.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Nathander posted:

That being said, yeah. It's obvious he's changed his flow from writing entirely for himself like in the early chapters to writing for an audience even beyond the fact that he references things from the thread.

This. If nobody had discovered the comic Lazerbot would have got bored real quick with his comic that was pretty much just him blowing off steam. I don't think we're influencing the story other than that we think he's hilarious and it's encouraging him to write some really funny stuff.

Just because the comic isn't relying totally on Looney Tunes/VG Characters interacting uncharacteristically anymore doesn't mean we've ruined the pure TGT experience.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know this is completely retarded, but every time Rob does something cool now it makes me want to go buy Skyrim.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It struck me early this morning that Lazerbot is like BillyMC only funnier and with a bit more of an edge. Also: He thinks the Fire Breath shout sounds like you're about to throw up, too

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What happened at the end there, did Rob miss the guy with his fire breath?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

TwoPair posted:

I know this is completely retarded, but every time Rob does something cool now it makes me want to go buy Skyrim.

That's not retarded, Skyrim is a fantastic game.

I also like how Rob made a throw-up face before the fire came out.

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

Rob has come a long way from being a guy who couldn't be trolled, simply because he had no ears.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

FrenchToasty posted:

Just because the comic isn't relying totally on Looney Tunes/VG Characters interacting uncharacteristically anymore doesn't mean we've ruined the pure TGT experience.

This raises an interesting point, actually. Since a lot of TGT's appeal comes from subverting and parodying established fictional characters, could it have ever worked if all the characters were don't-steal-Lazerbot-OCs?

While there's no question that Lazerbot couldn't fill a book with cool original characters - just look at Rob, Garry etc. - TGT gets a lot of its narrative drive from the clever use of established characters. That it's specifically Tails Gets Trolled and not Micah the Mouse Gets Trolled is important, and it's not used for pure shock value and novelty. The usual Newgrounds dregs rely on Mario killing Sonic being funny and shocking (and indeed confusing the two) in and of itself, while Lazerbot completely takes over the characters and builds his story out of them acting out of character, turning the entire concept of "out of character" on its head. He makes the characters his own, and how he claims them is integral to what makes the story appealing.

I've said this before, but in the history of fiction TGT really could only have been created just now, and it's a wonderful reflection of how the Internet generation, drenched in pop-culture since birth, views media and culture. And yes, I realize I'm looking at a Sonic webcomic where Elmer Fudd is a necromancer. That's rather the point.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
There's no tension in this fight for me, which I actually like. I know that Rob will come out okay because he's Rob, so I can just sit back and enjoy him punching electricity and being the best Dragonborn.

redmercer posted:

It struck me early this morning that Lazerbot is like BillyMC only funnier and with a bit more of an edge. Also: He thinks the Fire Breath shout sounds like you're about to throw up, too

I don't know, I think they are on opposite sides of a very lovely spectrum. What I like about Billy is that he has more innocent fun with videogames than I ever had. Lazerbot goes the opposite direction and takes something I think of as innocent, Looney Toons, and makes them extreme and brutal.

Either way, Lazerbot's brother is totally Lime Popsicle.

Forktoss posted:

I've said this before, but in the history of fiction TGT really could only have been created just now, and it's a wonderful reflection of how the Internet generation, drenched in pop-culture since birth, views media and culture. And yes, I realize I'm looking at a Sonic webcomic where Elmer Fudd is a necromancer. That's rather the point.
I had been thinking about this, too. Lazerbot is really a product of his generation. TGT is a collage of American pop culture which could only have been distributed on the internet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In Lazerbot's defense, I felt the exactly the same way about SA for like four years after I learned of its existence. "What on earth? A forum that people have to pay to register?? Madness!" is a completely normal reaction from most people.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
He's making his own story, merely using artistic elements omnipresent around him as a frame. It's been done since the beginings of art.

It kinda reminds me of "Don Quixote" and "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" - All the elements you'd expect from a well known and accepted (for a given value of accepted) genre are there, yet none of them are working the way they're supposed to. The story keeps surprising you because you expect the genre conventions to be followed instead of viewing it as an independent work with it's own laws, conventions and lines of reasoning. And you enjoy it because it really is something new. Works like those always tend to happen when a group/society/culture gets oversaturated with a (relatively) small number of tropes. Artists need not only to find a way to break out of the same stale "art", they need to leave a gap wide enough for others to follow.

I'm putting way too much thought into this, but I really hope Lazerbot and TGT get introduced to a much wider audience. So many people would enjoy the shock.

edit: me tipe gud :downs:

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 30, 2012

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

What happened at the end there, did Rob miss the guy with his fire breath?

Yeah. Looks like the other dude dodged just in time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lil baby anime posted:

Yeah. Looks like the other dude dodged just in time.

He's gonna beat the Robman :(! What are we to do? Also let's hope he doesn't lose his hands as well from punching that wall or something, not having any ears is bad/good enough.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Rob can't die before he uses his lack of ears to defeat the Troll King's Words of Death, he just can't. :qq:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Rob won't lose to a nobody, he promised Elmer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I love Lightning Troll's expression after Rob rips him out of the wiring and face pounds him. He has no idea what happened or how Rob managed that. Lightning Troll is completely shocked.

Zapping away ASAP was quick thinking on his part.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Somebody a page or two ago made a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure parallel, and I think that's pretty drat appropriate. Pretty soon, somebody's gonna stop time.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Man, panel 10 would make the perfect avatar with it moving from one face to the other.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Forktoss posted:

Weren't various Elizabethan/Victorian takes on mythology and other established characters treading that same narrative ground already? And aren't the entire genre of pastiche, parody and satire taking established characters and archetypes and then putting them "out of character" by making caricatures of them or hyperfocusing on strange, perverse aspects of their, well, character? And making pop-culture collages of contemporary Americana isn't some new thing: off the top of my head, Nick Hornby (I know he's British, shut up), David Sedaris and Chuck Klosterman made careers out of that poo poo.

From one post-structuralist to another, you're both overselling this comic and underselling several hundred years of literature. It's outsider art, not some "only the Internet" coup of postmodernist/post-structuralist creative thought. It's a dA comic that's funny because it's weird and kind of bad and Goons have a hand in its cultivation.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

TGT is the Ragtime of deviantart.

Butthole Milk
Sep 26, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Breadallelogram posted:

TGT is the Ragtime of deviantart.

The musical version of that book is amazing.
Just saying.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Holy poo poo Rob is a badass. loving punching through the wall and ripping electro-troll out of it.

I did not see that coming.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MadRhetoric posted:

Weren't various Elizabethan/Victorian takes on mythology and other established characters treading that same narrative ground already? And aren't the entire genre of pastiche, parody and satire taking established characters and archetypes and then putting them "out of character" by making caricatures of them or hyperfocusing on strange, perverse aspects of their, well, character? And making pop-culture collages of contemporary Americana isn't some new thing: off the top of my head, Nick Hornby (I know he's British, shut up), David Sedaris and Chuck Klosterman made careers out of that poo poo.

From one post-structuralist to another, you're both overselling this comic and underselling several hundred years of literature. It's outsider art, not some "only the Internet" coup of postmodernist/post-structuralist creative thought. It's a dA comic that's funny because it's weird and kind of bad and Goons have a hand in its cultivation.

I just get really excited when I see Rob punching electricity, you know?

But yes, of course you're right in that there is an existing literary continuum in the same vein and I got a bit ahead of myself claiming that TGT is somehow utterly unique in this regard. To snub centuries' worth of literature in favour of a Sonic webcomic of all things was by no means my intention.

I suppose where I'm coming from is that it seems revolutionary (for want of a less pompous word) in its context. You're not expecting a guy called Lazerbot who does a webcomic called Tails Gets Trolled to have a keen deconstructionalist eye, and when it turns out he does you feel its effects more powerfully than you would when reading some more "respectable" form of fiction. I don't think I'm overselling it since I do think it has actual literary merit, but I don't mean to tread on Nick Hornby's toes when saying that. When I say it's a unique product of the Internet generation specifically, I mean as a warped reflection of our relationship towards popular culture, how it's distributed and how it develops through audience interaction.

Now, the literary merit I mentioned comes from Lazerbot again defying expectations. You called it outsider art, and that's an apt description since I can't really put it into an existing category. It's not strictly pastiche, since Lazerbot has no respect for the tropes he uses, he uses them in a seemingly "incorrect" and often ridiculous way; but it's not really parody either, since the tropes and the characters themselves are not the ones under ridicule: Lazerbot's Mario is not a twisted caricature of the actual Mario, it's so far-removed that it is completely Lazerbot's Mario - there is no subject for parody. Parody gets its humour from showing the absurd and ridiculous aspects of established tropes and characters, but Lazerbot molds all these characters completely anew and makes them push the story forward.

It's the literary version of a kid mashing his action figures together. Were I an actual scholar of literature I might be able to categorize it better, but I do think it's worthwhile and special in its own right, both as part of an existing literary continuum and as an oasis in the desert of lovely Sonic webcomics.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 31, 2012

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

El Belmondo posted:

Somebody a page or two ago made a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure parallel, and I think that's pretty drat appropriate. Pretty soon, somebody's gonna stop time.

I just started reading that recently, and I have to agree. Random characters keep popping in out of nowhere and the focal characters change over time. Lazerbot just needs to add in nonsensical time restrictions (We must rescue Fudd in X days or Y dies!) and start making badass artwork. But really, I bet his primary influence is Naruto among other shounen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't stopping time something Shadow can already do in the actual games?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't stopping time something Shadow can already do in the actual games?

Yes, but only when he has a chaos emerald, which apparently Sonic lost when he died to the Troll King.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Stele007 posted:

I just started reading that recently, and I have to agree. Random characters keep popping in out of nowhere and the focal characters change over time. Lazerbot just needs to add in nonsensical time restrictions (We must rescue Fudd in X days or Y dies!) and start making badass artwork. But really, I bet his primary influence is Naruto among other shounen.

Yeah, Naruto is a major influence. I had a moderately long chat with him on FB after he posted his thoughts and ideas on DA. I asked him about some of the stuff he wrote and commented on it, and he replied with a few Naruto-based metaphors. (I had no loving idea what he was talking about so I had to google it) For example, he used genjustu as comparison when he tried to explained to me how he sees words as merely illusions that can only harm you if you let them.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I've brought it up before but the story always read as a deconstruction of its Deviantart ilk to me. The initial Sonic characters acting outside their personality and murdering trolls is something FAMILIAR to most of us, but the way he turns these things on their head and ends up displaying an actual message can't be glossed over and is certainly why we're still here.

But on top of this it's interesting to note that TGT does not IGNORE its characters outright. Mario is nothing like the "real" Mario, but he still has the same relationships with Bowser, Luigi and Peach, still uses power ups, and his Kario backstory ties into Yoshi's Island. Though LB's Mario portrayal is his own character, it still relies on our familiarity with Mario himself.

23 Flavors
Sep 13, 2011

what a talentless looking goon

I don't know who manages tailsgetstrolled.com, but it looks like lazerbot has uploaded old chapters to his tailsgetstrolled1 account without the deviantart watermark, so it might be worthwhile to replace the images. Not sure how difficult that would be to do, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lazerbot posted:

encyclopediadramatica whats the name of the boss to this site? im just curious is all

I wonder what he's gonna do?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

I wonder what he's gonna do?

Does the Troll King have an actual name besides "Troll King" yet? If not I think we suddenly have startling new photos of Lowtax killing Sonic the Hedgehog.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nerdbot posted:

I've brought it up before but the story always read as a deconstruction of its Deviantart ilk to me. The initial Sonic characters acting outside their personality and murdering trolls is something FAMILIAR to most of us, but the way he turns these things on their head and ends up displaying an actual message can't be glossed over and is certainly why we're still here.

But on top of this it's interesting to note that TGT does not IGNORE its characters outright. Mario is nothing like the "real" Mario, but he still has the same relationships with Bowser, Luigi and Peach, still uses power ups, and his Kario backstory ties into Yoshi's Island. Though LB's Mario portrayal is his own character, it still relies on our familiarity with Mario himself.

Yeah, it's a common enough concept for the "mashing your action figures together" kind of interpretation for the kid to have no idea what any of the characters in question actually are, or to care about their canon histories or personalities. I know that when I was a kid, my brother and I invented a whole universe starring various Battle Beasts, M.U.S.C.L.E. men, and G.I. Joe figures we'd scrounged up from random playgrounds and other kids' cast-off collections. We had no idea who or what any of them were supposed to be; we just made it all up.

Some of them, of course, we had some vague idea of what they were supposed to be like. We knew whether each of the Transformers was supposed to be an Autobot or a Decepticon, for example, and what they turned into. But as for personalities, they just grew organically, and totally independent of any canon source. Even if we'd known what they were like canonically, we didn't care—because it was funnier to make up our own interpretations. Physical capabilities and mechanics felt like natural constraints on the characters. Personalities didn't.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

23 Flavors posted:

I don't know who manages tailsgetstrolled.com, but it looks like lazerbot has uploaded old chapters to his tailsgetstrolled1 account without the deviantart watermark, so it might be worthwhile to replace the images. Not sure how difficult that would be to do, though.

I'll have to dig up which chapters have the watermark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

TwoPair posted:

Does the Troll King have an actual name besides "Troll King" yet? If not I think we suddenly have startling new photos of Lowtax killing Sonic the Hedgehog.

Encyclopedia Dramatica might be torn between lying and making Lazerbot look like an idiot, and telling the truth and making Lowtax look like an rear end in a top hat.