Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Perhaps using a walking foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

Looking up basting, I'm shocked I didn't even think to try that... it seems so obvious now.

I could try my walking foot, but it seems like with this thick a stack, and slippery fabric, it would maybe make things worse for the middle layer. Nonetheless, will try it next I sew.

Thanks for pointing out basting to me. :downs:

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I would baste it, but that's what school beat into me to do anyway. I think Clover makes wronder clips still?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Spent 30 minutes threading this beast last night--thanks a lot misprint in the manual! But now it will seam and finish simultaneously. Is this heaven? Perhaps.

Unfortunately, my design has some internal corners, so this might not work out quite like I planned. Thank god for muslins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 18, 2012

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I keep haunting craig's list for a babylock imagine or similar serger for sub-1000 and I keep whiffing :(

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Spent 30 minutes threading this beast last night--thanks a lot misprint in the manual! But now it will seam and finish simultaneously. Is this heaven? Perhaps.

Unfortunately, my design has some internal corners, so this might not work out quite like I planned. Thank god for muslins.

Serging an internal curve isn't too bad as long as you straighten out the curve before you run it through the machine.

This video kinda explains what I'm talking about but is a bit hard to see what she's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKrV7EnTAo

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

nolen posted:

Serging an internal curve isn't too bad as long as you straighten out the curve before you run it through the machine.

This video kinda explains what I'm talking about but is a bit hard to see what she's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKrV7EnTAo

Yeah, curves I can handle, corners not so much. The more I think about it, the more I think I need to sew and finish them separately. Which means rethreading the machine of course!

I actually think the back panels and pleats may have been a poor design decision anyway. Maybe I'll redraft a plain back.

Bonus (?): These are some tiny meat pillows that I made for my studio space's "open studio" night. Because making people who came to see art contemplate meat pillows is hilarious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 18, 2012

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I've been home sick for a few days, and I actually managed to get off my rear end and sew a little.

First I made a little pleated skirt that I'm not super happy with, luckily I have more of this awesome scratchy wool.

Then I made these awesome leggings, they're pretty much my favorite thing ever and I did them entirely with my serger so it was really quick:

I got this thick printed jersey at a thrift store, probably about 3-4 yards so I have TONS left over. They're thick enough to pass for pants, and I made 'em high-waisted to keep my belly warm :3: the bagginess at the ankles wasn't intentional, but I ended up really liking the way they look as-is.

Apologies for the crappy angles (really, my legs aren't that short!), the dirty mirror and the unholy mass of blankets that is my bed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Bonus (?): These are some tiny meat pillows that I made for my studio space's "open studio" night. Because making people who came to see art contemplate meat pillows is hilarious.

Love it, want to make some as gifts. How did you do the color/texture?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Stultus Maximus posted:

Love it, want to make some as gifts. How did you do the color/texture?

My guess is cream netting over dark red fabric with scrunching for larger seams of fat. They are really cool looking and I have no idea how you'd hold the scrunches in while sewing them though.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

madlilnerd posted:

My guess is cream netting over dark red fabric with scrunching for larger seams of fat. They are really cool looking and I have no idea how you'd hold the scrunches in while sewing them though.

My guess is starching the netting with some folds. Then maybe wash them before stuffing?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
They're actually silk gauze over silk charmeuse, but that's just because I'm obsessed with silk. First I dyed the charmeuse, then I washed the gauze with some of it, because I wanted it a light pink. It turned basically the same color as the charmeuse (oops). So them I threw some bleach on it, which fixed the color and distressed it severely. Thank god that worked perfectly for this project, because I hadn't thought of it at all. Charmeuse was then heat-bonded to raw silk for structure (and to form the solid fat borders in my original project--meat dress). Destroyed gauze was arranged on top and heat-bonded down (this gets your iron kinda messy). Et voila, meat.

We are having another open studio next weekend, so I might slap a $5/each sign next to them and see if anyone will take them home.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 19, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

That's a lot of work for fake meat.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

They're actually silk gauze over silk charmeuse, but that's just because I'm obsessed with silk. First I dyed the charmeuse, then I washed the gauze with some of it, because I wanted it a light pink. It turned basically the same color as the charmeuse (oops). So them I threw some bleach on it, which fixed the color and distressed it severely. Thank god that worked perfectly for this project, because I hadn't thought of it at all. Charmeuse was then heat-bonded to raw silk for structure (and to form the solid fat borders in my original project--meat dress). Destroyed gauze was arranged on top and heat-bonded down (this gets your iron kinda messy). Et voila, meat.

We are having another open studio next weekend, so I might slap a $5/each sign next to them and see if anyone will take them home.

I'd love to see a photo of the dress if you want to share it!

And for $5 those better be small cushions. If they were chair cushions you could probably sell them for $30-$40 in the right place. It's a really cool effect.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Does anyone know of video tutorials that walk you through sewing from the very beginning? I've looked at the OP and searched on youtube but I just end up confused. I've bought this book which the woman in the shop said was excellent and what she learned from but I just can't get the ideas in the book translated to a working thought process in my head.

Edit:
Anyone know anything about this type of sewing machine? It's a wedding present my mother got in the 70s. I've searched for Magnum Sewing Machines but can't find anything.

I don't even know if this works let alone if I'd want to use it (or be even allowed to use it.) I haven't seen my mother use it in at least 15 years.

Another edit:

From what little I know I'm guessing:
LMR is for where the needle goes in relation to the foot area thing.
The 01234 is for whether I want a straight line stitch through more pronounced zig zags.
The 43210 is for the spacing of the stitch.
The R is to engage the reverse stitching.
Down/Up is to move the needle up and down.
There is a bobbin there (good.)
There's a different foot(?)
The other baseplate(?) is possibly for doing buttons?
The big wheel on the right that you can't really see is for manually sewing.
The small wheel on the right hand side is possibly the bobbin winder?
Is the 0-9 wheel for thread tension? (Although I don't know what tension does at this point.)

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 22, 2012

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

I'm decorating for my Halloween party and was planning on hanging blood splattered sheets on my walls. However sheets are pretty pricey so I was looking into buying some bulk fabric. In doing so I learned that I know nothing about fabric (Tulle, Tricot, Chiffon, what are these things?). Can anyone recommend a cheap type fabric that is suitable?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Cotton muslin ought to work for your budget. They're usually $1 per yard and at Joann's or Hancock's you can usually find 40% off coupons. You could also check thrift stores for sheets, if you're looking for something with old fashioned print designs.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Thanks I got 10 yards of 90" white cotton muslin from Joann's for $3 a yard.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh my god gently caress armholes forever. This is the first time I've made anything with sleeves loving argh. Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to do this without making my kid look like the loving hunchback of notre dame or me killing myself in frustration I'm all ears. Doesn't help this ancient loving sewing machine keeps unthreading the needle...

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Match all seams/markings exactly, pin the poo poo out of it, clip curves where necessary and go slow. :shobon: Sleeves are simple once you get the hang of them, but they definitely make you feel like you're doing something wrong when you're just learning.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah that's the thing I'm doing all that except the clipping curves part because I'm terrified of cutting the wrong way and loving everything up, also the stupid instructions only show curves clipped after sewing. gently caress you simplicity.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
As long as your cuts remain within the seam allowance you'll be fine. Use a seam gauge or a measuring tape if you have to, and feel free to ignore Simplicity. Clipping before you pin and sew will make it 100% easier.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
For complex seams like sleeves and collars, I always baste/tack. It removes the chance of pins attacking you when you're trying to negotiate a difficult curve, plus basting shouldn't shift like pins sometimes can.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm about to pull the trigger on the popular Brother 1034d serger. Looked at reviews, seems to be a very popular entry-level serger (and I can't afford more than entry level right now) and Brother in general is a decent manufacturer. Before I do, anyone here know any reasons that this is a bad idea?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a few rookie questions about pattern reading. I am making a hooded cloak from a Simplicity pattern, and I want to make sure I understand the seam allowances before I cut anything. The general instructions say that I should use a 5/8" seam allowance everywhere unless it is otherwise marked.

1) I take this to mean that the pattern edge is the sewing line, and when I transfer it to the fabric I should leave an extra 5/8". (In a few places it specifies 3/8" on the pattern edge, and I would leave that much instead in those places.) Does that sound right?

2) On all the edges that need to be hemmed, it says '5/8" hem allowed' which I read to mean that the hem allowance is already on the pattern, so I will cut the fabric at the pattern edge in those places and leave no extra. Is that right?

3) Finally are there any tricks to cutting large pattern pieces? The instructions have me cutting doubled fabric, and the cloak front/back panels are kinda huge. I plan to pin the pattern to the fabric, but are there any other tricks to make that easier?

Thanks!

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I believe the seam allowance is already on the pattern piece. They just want you to sew 5/8" away from the edges. I believe your interpretation of the hem allowance is correct. Can't help with the tricks, though. I don't usually cut/sew large things like that.

Fiordiligi
Sep 14, 2012
So, I never really learned how to use a sewing machine, and basically have no idea what I'm doing. I recently purchased a gorgeous 18th-century style gown from an eBay costumer for like $115, although the bodice was sort of ill-fitting--too big in the waist and the sleeves were huge for no apparent reason. So being industrious, I decided to take in the sides and sleeves (all by hand) and lowered and refinished the neckline.

This was after I successfully tailored the dress to actually fit my body and get that nice tight V-shape going on:

Then I realized this dress needed some serious embellishment, so I went a little wild. The only craft-related store near me is Michaels, and they had very little in the way of lace, so I used a thick decorating ribbon on the sleeves. It had wire sewn into it along both edges, so I pulled the wire out on one side and used the wire on the other side to scrunch up the ribbon nice and tight for the gathered effect, then sewed it in place. Then I used old lace and some other odds and ends for the bodice. Doing this all by hand took forever.

Can't wait to wear this thing to the next formal event!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I am working on the most obnoxious pair of capri pants right now. The waistband requires ease stitching onto the pants and it's driving me nuts, but if you ignore that step the piece isn't large enough. Ugh.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 27, 2012

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on the popular Brother 1034d serger. Looked at reviews, seems to be a very popular entry-level serger (and I can't afford more than entry level right now) and Brother in general is a decent manufacturer. Before I do, anyone here know any reasons that this is a bad idea?

I am a strictly entry-level sewer myself, and this is the serger that I have. It works just fine for me, for what it's worth.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Awesome. Next question for everyone - good resources for clothing alteration? All the books I keep finding online are about pattern alteration or full clothing de/reconstruction but I want to learn how to alter existing clothing - take in shirts, shorten sleeves, fit a dress better etc.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I made a pillow today. The first thing what I done sew'ed.

I'll try making more stuff now. Especially as until I actually turned the pillow case inside out I thought I had made a mess of it, but it actually looked OK in the end.

Are there any decent forums for this kind of thing, particularly historical costumes and period pieces?

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 28, 2012

nuralagus rex
Oct 11, 2012

The squirrels are all right. AND the rabbits--some of 'em, but rabbits are a mixed lot.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have that serger and I'm happy with it so far (after maybe 6 months of use). I mainly use it to finish off seam allowances. One word of advice on it, if you get it - there is one step in threading (the lower looper) that is kind of confusing if you just go by the book directions. It's simple when you see it done though - I found this video super helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohtf7H_gyc

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oracle posted:

Oh my god gently caress armholes forever. This is the first time I've made anything with sleeves loving argh. Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to do this without making my kid look like the loving hunchback of notre dame or me killing myself in frustration I'm all ears. Doesn't help this ancient loving sewing machine keeps unthreading the needle...

Armholes are the most often hosed up thing in store-bought patterns in my experience, and it's the hardest to tell. Basting by hand is the best thing, because then you can tell if there's a serious mismatch between the sleeve cap and the armscye. Altering either of those curved lines is tricky business too, so usually just taking in or letting out the lengthwise seam of the sleeve is safe as long as you're not altering it by more than half an inch.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah its totally screwed up, but I can't say as I blame the pattern so much as my lovely cutting ability (oh hi, left-handed sewer). Not that you can really tell at a glance, but it is the most hosed up jury-rigged slapped together piece of crap. But its done and he loves it, so.

I think I am going to sign up for the jacket class at Joann's. Sure its an ugly jacket but at least I'll know how to attach a drat sleeve.

Also blind hemming can KISS MY rear end.

You know those tags that say 'made with love for'? I need to print out some custom ones that say 'made with hate' or 'fueled by frustration.'

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Unoriginal posted:

I believe the seam allowance is already on the pattern piece. They just want you to sew 5/8" away from the edges. I believe your interpretation of the hem allowance is correct. Can't help with the tricks, though. I don't usually cut/sew large things like that.

Thanks for the input! I stitched it up and it came out pretty well I think. Moving all of that fabric around while sewing it was a bit of a hassle, but it worked out fine. I just pinned the hell out of whatever seam I was working on at the time.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oracle posted:

Yeah its totally screwed up, but I can't say as I blame the pattern so much as my lovely cutting ability (oh hi, left-handed sewer). Not that you can really tell at a glance, but it is the most hosed up jury-rigged slapped together piece of crap. But its done and he loves it, so.

I think I am going to sign up for the jacket class at Joann's. Sure its an ugly jacket but at least I'll know how to attach a drat sleeve.

Also blind hemming can KISS MY rear end.

You know those tags that say 'made with love for'? I need to print out some custom ones that say 'made with hate' or 'fueled by frustration.'

Blind hemming is also something I do by hand. The stitches are big, so it goes fast, and it looks much better. You also only have to do it once.

Some poor lady came into our shared workspace today and tried to replace a zipper. When she couldn't get that to work, she tried to sew some elastic into something. When she couldn't get that to work either, she tried to serge something but then it stopped chaining. When I heard what she had attempted, I was impressed that she hadn't just started crying right then and there... those are the three most annoying things ever.

Edit: guys, I'm too depressed to sew. What's a good cheer-up get-back-on-the-horse project?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Pile of Kittens posted:

Edit: guys, I'm too depressed to sew. What's a good cheer-up get-back-on-the-horse project?

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2145-accessories.aspx

:buddy:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Fuzzy pajama pants? That's what I want right now.

I was working on some capris, but I think the project is in hibernation forever now, and not just because the weather is getting colder. I had a really cute pattern, but attaching the waistband was driving me mad. The waist of the pants needs to be gathered ever-so-slightly, 1 5/8" in the back, and 5/8" in the front. Seems kind of stupid to me, and I'd probably have skipped the pattern if I noticed that sooner.

The fabric I was using was an indigo blue cotton, sort of like thin denim. A friend of mine destashed some fabric on me a while ago, and there was just enough of it for this pattern, so I figured they'd be like cute little jeans. Then I realized I was essentially making ladies jorts. :stonk:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Pile of Kittens posted:

appliqué blanket? http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6482-products-15252.php?page_id=2807

It seems like it would be fairly easy with limited frustration. You could come up with some design that tickled your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Mizufusion posted:

Fuzzy pajama pants? That's what I want right now.

I was working on some capris, but I think the project is in hibernation forever now, and not just because the weather is getting colder. I had a really cute pattern, but attaching the waistband was driving me mad. The waist of the pants needs to be gathered ever-so-slightly, 1 5/8" in the back, and 5/8" in the front. Seems kind of stupid to me, and I'd probably have skipped the pattern if I noticed that sooner.

The fabric I was using was an indigo blue cotton, sort of like thin denim. A friend of mine destashed some fabric on me a while ago, and there was just enough of it for this pattern, so I figured they'd be like cute little jeans. Then I realized I was essentially making ladies jorts. :stonk:

You could convert the gathers into darts if that makes it better. I actually own a pair of medium denim clam-diggers and when I think about it, they make me feel remarkably "unfashionable mom"-ish. :(