Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

tengohemroidz posted:

I knew that O's got the royal treatment at DLI. Our class leader, a Major in my Spanish class couldn't get through his introductions after 24 weeks without stuttering and butchering his speech, yet he came out of there with a 2 in speaking.

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as 'the royal treatment' in the OPI. That poo poo is not really a good test of your language skills so much as a personality/people skills test disguised as a language test. Also you can prep for it pretty drat easily and if you steer the conversations right there's not much in the way of surprises. It's also entirely likely that he just had a good day. I've seen the other way around where a Major in my class who was entirely competent squeaked by with his 1+ because he froze on one of the questions and started talking about some subject he had never practiced before, had no vocab for, etc.

tengohemroidz posted:

That meant back to seventh hour which meant I might as well just phone it in and quit because that's worse than failing.

Your comment there reminds me of the folks who acted like 7th hour was some kind of horrific punishment. That was something I never really understood. I voluntarily went to every 7th hour (minus a few Fridays) because it a) made me better in my language and/or b) let me do homework without the distractions of home/friends. It helped that I really liked my teaching team and they encouraged us to do extra listening and speaking whenever possible. Part of it was that they are of course graded based on our grades, but we always had the feeling that they genuinely cared about how well we were doing and were pleased when we could communicate with them in their native language without help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
There's a big difference between staying for 7th hour voluntarily, or being forced there. We've got three kids in my class that have a B- in speaking, yet they only worked on speaking for the first week after that test. Since then, they've been sitting in 7th hour doing listening exercises with the guys who are far behind. Two are in my section and they both have an A- and an A in listening.

I've stayed behind most days for the 15-20 minutes needed to get my homework done, like you said, free of the distractions from home. But when you're there to do what you want, and can leave early, it's not a big deal. I would be upset if I had to be there for 7th hour because of a B- on speaking, and I was never working on it.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I just got back from the smoke pit and some rear end in a top hat's wearing a toga. Still far and away from the most ridiculous garment I've seen out there though.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was me.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Too bad LARPing is banned on soldier field...

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Gordian posted:

Too bad LARPing is banned on soldier field...

Is there a sign banning it? Please post pictures if there is.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
LARP weapons are not allowed at DLI. We had a briefing on that in Bravo during inprocessing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bellum posted:

LARP weapons are not allowed at DLI. We had a briefing on that in Bravo during inprocessing.

Jesus wept. :wtc: is happening in the modern military that stuff like that has to be mentioned during inprocessing?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What percentage of DLI students play WoW?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

DoktorLoken posted:

Currently play, or at some point played? The latter: all of them.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Black Balloon posted:

Graduated a 63wk course last June, never played WoW. Not even once.
Less than half of my 81 Marines played. I realize that this is the exception to the rule.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

DoktorLoken posted:

Not as many as you'd think. There's just not enough time to play without a serious risk of failing out of class. But people who never go out on the weekends, I'm sure that's what they're doing in their rooms. I was too drunk in San Francisco to care about WoW.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

safetyStanddown posted:

Less than half of my 81 Marines played.

That you even have to say this is just sad.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Softface posted:

I just got back from the smoke pit and some rear end in a top hat's wearing a toga. Still far and away from the most ridiculous garment I've seen out there though.

Hah, we just had this conversation at the PX yesterday.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

Not just wow either. League of Legends and Guild Wars 2 is just as popular here as well.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Super Camper posted:

Not just wow either. League of Legends and Guild Wars 2 is just as popular here as well.

Everyone in the world plays LoL. GW2 I don't hear as much about here. I'm guilty in playing both of those though.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm feeling pretty good right now, I just got a 142 on the DLAB and the examiner said it was the highest she'd ever seen. (I know it's just a test but I take my victories where I can get them.)

What's DLI like for Army NCOs? Would I have to deal with the same bullshit as the lower enlisted (the 4 formations a day thing in particular) or is it more of a gentleman's course? Hotels or barracks?

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

bees everywhere posted:

What's DLI like for Army NCOs? Would I have to deal with the same bullshit as the lower enlisted (the 4 formations a day thing in particular) or is it more of a gentleman's course? Hotels or barracks?

The 4 formations a day thing is usually just for the first couple of weeks when IET soldiers are in Phase 4. If your company has afternoon PT you'll just have a morning formation (0700 or 0730 depending on company) after which you will go to class and won't have to go to another formation until PT at 1615.

As far as housing goes, the barracks are nearly full. They're even tossing around the idea of sending some lower enlisted off base (Air Force is moving some airmen to a hotel, bastards :argh:). Although that doesn't really matter for you anyway since they already send NCOs off base, so I'm fairly sure you'll just need a non-availability letter.

Disclaimer: Not an NCO

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

bees everywhere posted:

Basically like the whole Army it will depend on what company you end up in. For my company not bad formations are 2 a day if you are on PT if you are in a company where NCOs can become exempt from PT then it will only be one a day. You will live off post they will do the paperwork for BHA when you get here. For the most part leadership at least in my company will leave NCO's alone. Any more specific questions PM me.

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

Gordian posted:

As far as housing goes, the barracks are nearly full. They're even tossing around the idea of sending some lower enlisted off base (Air Force is moving some airmen to a hotel, bastards :argh:). Although that doesn't really matter for you anyway since they already send NCOs off base, so I'm fairly sure you'll just need a non-availability letter.

Apparently it isn't just some airmen, the base lodging is at max capacity and junior enlisted are all pretty much expected to get moved off. More money sink to add to the fact that they are now back paying tons of airmen who went through DLI and didn't get paid BAH in dorms at their next training bases, even though they stayed in dorms during that period.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Well since you broke that seal here on SA. What the whole story on the great repay for those of us Air Force dudes that were at Goodfellow AFB from 2006 onwards. I'm hearing all sorts of crazy stories.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 20, 2012

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?
I don't know, haven't had any concrete sources on it and mostly I've just heard from dudes who were being butt raped by finance to pay back whatever BAH they were given in that transitional period, and now finance has to pay them back. I think it was just that finally enough people complained and for a long enough amount of time that someone finally took the initiative to fix the financial error. Tons of linguists/failure linguists were owing thousands of dollars each for paying back money they were "supposed" to be receiving.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

bees everywhere posted:

I'm feeling pretty good right now, I just got a 142 on the DLAB and the examiner said it was the highest she'd ever seen. (I know it's just a test but I take my victories where I can get them.)

Formations depend on the company and your PT score. In bravo, for example, if you have over 270 I think you're only obligated to show up for the Friday safety briefing. Maybe Monday morning, too, unless you're a squad leader, in which case you're stuck going to PT until all soldiers under you get over 270.

Other companies have daily morning formation.

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012
A Co is formation every day at 710, tends to run into 730 on a bad day.

NCOs are used HEAVILY for PT tests, military training days (Level 1 task training), and "NCO-ship", which means being another layer of advocacy for either the student or the platoon sergeant.

PT exemptions, thankfully, because PRT is a joke here. A joke held in a field full of deer poo poo.

Class isn't hard, just study your dick off to avoid being slain by 7th hour-study hall-PRT fuckfest. Aforementioned fuckfest will leave you about 2 hours of free time a day if you want to snag 7-ish hours of sleep, which WILL lead to excess stress, depression, blah blah blah blah.

Just study and work out for your first few months.

Don't live on Ord, unless you have a bigass family. Live in-town, it's cheaper, and you're closer to the Presidio. Ord=Lots of military family barbeques, Monterey=A lot of civilian friends and interaction, waking up 20 minutes before formation to throw food in gullet and race to work.

Any NCO's/prior service incoming, give me a PM, and I'll set you up for the good-ish life.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012

General Probe posted:

Well since you broke that seal here on SA. What the whole story on the great repay for those of us Air Force dudes that were at Goodfellow AFB from 2006 onwards. I'm hearing all sorts of crazy stories.

From what I was told, so grain of salt, 2006 was when they started throwing AF folk into the old marine barracks as opposed to the Angelo Inn for the duration of the training TDY. It's the AETC, whatever. They slapped a statement about member being pipeline status and having to be in the dorms onto the orders everyone got, life's good. Except the pipeline statement's right under a statement saying that the member is still TDY, only administratively subordinate to goodfellow, and are authorized TDY entitlements (This actually showed up twice on my orders, above and below the pipeline thing). BAS, BAH, per diem, the whole shebang due to an reference AFI statement. The MPE in Monterey is.. it is.

This admin snafu has caused an ongoing clusterfuck. It used to be that the pipeline statement took precedence. Once you got to your first duty station, SFPC would come a-knocking, asking for your BAS and per diem back. Now the pendulum has swung the other way, as a finance shop (someone said osan, but who knows) had a differing interpretation of everyone's orders and AFPC ate it up wholesale. They're even giving money to folk who are out. Total loving chaos.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I'm surprised nobody made a post about the Farsi Fapper roughly a year ago today.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Softface posted:

I'm surprised nobody made a post about the Farsi Fapper roughly a year ago today.

The who in the what now?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

AB posted:

The who in the what now?

Last year someone got pulled from class because he was allegedly caught jerking off during lessons twice. The SSG sitting next to him warned him the first time, and the second time she sent him straight to the MLI for pawing at his groin for way too long. He says he was just scratching it with a pencil and everyone else was just trying to get him out of class, but the dude was my neighbor. It's way too plausible that he was going at himself, and if people are willing to say that he was jerkin' it in class to get him out he was probably an unpleasant little poo poo to start with.

I was also his neighbor and he was probably the least socially functional person I've met here. When he wanted to talk to us instead of coming to our door like a regular person he'd stick his finger through our blinds. Once he was my spotter during a PT eval, and when it was time to hold my legs for situps he brushed his hand against my inner thigh and said, "Oh, I've never touched your legs before!"

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

:stare:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh, the Farsi Fapper. He was getting out right when I came in, so I had the pleasure of dealing with him every day for two weeks.

So happy that he's gone.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

General Probe posted:

What ended up happening with a batch of us who graduated DLI last year was finance writing us up a debt letter for about $3000 while simultaneously paying us about $7000. End result is my paycheck has been about $4000 fat this month. :woop:

AF goons has the 314th burned to the ground yet?

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Dirk Digglet posted:

Not quite. I'm in the 311th, but a buddy I came through here with the first time around is staff there and he says it's loving chaos. They just had a staff NCO get a DUI a month ago, the AF Ball was a loving disaster...something like only 20% of available tickets were sold. They've got Farsi students failing left and right...all of this happened within a month of the new CO taking over too.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Dirk Digglet posted:

314 TRS continues to be the broest unit at DLI even after the change of command. We just had an airman leader mutiny a month ago, and plans to move airmen off-post have fallen through entirely when it was apparent that it would be exactly like living in a dorm except significantly less convenient with a requirement to have $1000 in your account at all times. Surprisingly we haven't had any airmen get a DUI for a while, I think the last one was some underage moron 3 months ago. Did not hear about the staff NCO getting one, though that's probably not something they like to broadcast.

And to be fair, Farsi students were dropping like flies well before the new CO. I think my class is up to around 65% attrition now.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

Softface posted:

And to be fair, Farsi students were dropping like flies well before the new CO. I think my class is up to around 65% attrition now.

What the poo poo happened to Farsi? Up until about 2 years ago, that was THE language. Perfect length and simple enough that if you worked, you would pass. poo poo has really changed.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
I'm currently 311th and holy poo poo am I glad I didn't get a 314th language. It's way more chill over here(lots more TPG cause you can actually get it without being a rope) and the ropes aren't constantly on your rear end pulling 341s and generally being assholes. I'm managing to pull my grades up ever so slightly with TPG and not having NCO's and horrible ropes on me 24/7. Sucks for 314th. That probably has something to do with why Farsi is doing so terribly.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

The whole Farsi schoolhouse has something like 3 total MLIs right now, and they've been stuck in the process of trying to rewrite huge chunks of the curriculum. Which is normally always the case, sure; everything is always being checked and revised. But the nature of the revisions was that they removed a lot of the vocab, butdidn't change some of the tests to properly reflect it. So what ended up happening was a lot of students getting blindsided for a few grad classes in a row in units 2 and 3. The semester 2 curriculum is all over the fuckin place, and I guess they introduced some new books and entire new units shortly after I got through them.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012
I've lost several friends because they got disenrolled from the Farsi program. It sucks that re-languaging students is so rare, cuz several of them had prior language experience.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012
Halloween is in full swing here at the PX. you should all be here

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012

Super Camper posted:

No. Just no.

Counted two internet memes at the a co run. Wishing I couldn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Super Camper posted:

I was at study hall instead of out partying. Hopefully my knowledge of Zoorkhaneh comes in handy on the DLPT or I'm going to be pissed.

• Locked thread