Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Destructoid review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-halo-4-233109.phtml

:supaburn: 10/10 :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Machinima Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_o9y79QrIE

The guy from Machinima playing is the same guy who did their review. He just said a minute ago that it was "an honor to review Halo 4", he gave it a 10/10 :allears:

Watch some MP action though, eets guud

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
:ohdear:

I'm excited for Halo 4, but I've been following this review meta-game poo poo long enough for scores like this to start setting of bells.

edit: Actually, Jeff's review is alleviating these fears. I remember his review helped me marginalize my ME3 hype, and this one is also good.

Drake Bate fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 1, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Geoff Kieghley should give a score.

For Halo-Dew, Haloritos and Halo-V Purple Plasma flavour.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Geoff Kieghley should give a score.

For Halo-Dew, Haloritos and Halo-V Purple Plasma flavour.

He loves all his children

"Peasants! I decree Halo 4 is a , I have spoken."

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 1, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
So who else can't wait for the exciting conclusion of Halo High School?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

So who else can't wait for the exciting conclusion of Halo High School?

If it has a moment as awesome as when Chief blocks the needler shot with his arm in the last one, I am definitely looking forward to it.

Though, as my housemate pointed out - if the cadets are driving the warthog, they're going to be even worse than the marines. The first ten minutes will be the warthog flying off cliffs, getting stuck in the scenery and having to be flipped over by an extremely pissed Master Chief.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Personally I think Davidge's music is really solid. Just let it grow on you a bit. The series needed a fresh new sound. It avoids clichés to an admirable extent

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm happy for 343. :unsmith:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

lenoon posted:

Though, as my housemate pointed out - if the cadets are driving the warthog, they're going to be even worse than the marines. The first ten minutes will be the warthog flying off cliffs, getting stuck in the scenery and having to be flipped over by an extremely pissed Master Chief.

I know exactly why this made me giggle like a retard and I thank you for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glad to see the Giant Bomb review, I trust them more than the others.

Zeithammer
Dec 6, 2007
I managed to wrangle me a copy, and I just finished the campaign about an hour ago.

It was pretty good. It feels a little different, which is to be expected with 343 I guess. I want to say the story was a little bit weirder than previous Halo games. Has a pretty decent length, too. The sprinting is kind of strange, though, because you'd think a Spartan could run for more than 30 meters without having to stop to catch his breath. There's a cool segment near the end where you fly a Broadsword bomber down the hull of a massive dreadnaught. It kinda combines Starfox and the scene from Star Wars where they bomb the first Death Star.

Overall it was a pretty good experience though, and I'm eager to see what 343 might do with it. They even wrote a nice little thank-you note at the end to all the fans.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How did you get a copy?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Booties posted:

I'm going to play this game no matter what, but I just don't get why they make some of these decisions. It's fun to make numbers go up. It's more fun when there is something on the line.
It's most fun when you don't have people deranking or boosting during games. Are they going to have credits in this one? If so, there's the number you can enjoy watching rise.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Decent length meaning 8-9 hours?

Also hammered out 'A Monument to All Your Sins' in preparation.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man, these reviews are getting me even more pumped. I'm like a tightly-wound ball of excitement. The Penny-Arcade one especially:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/halo-4-this-isnt-bungies-halo-anymore-its-better
It's a two-parter, with this part focusing on campaign (fairly spoiler-free, unless you don't want to know absolutely anything about the campaign ahead of time...but it won't give away plot twists or anything), and the woman writing it came to the conclusion that the campaign is better than anything Bungie's done. And from reading the review, I'm pretty sure it's genuine, too. She seemed really impressed with basically everything about the campaign.

I am a little concerned that she said the story may not make sense to people who haven't read the extended universe, though. I've read Traviss's Kilo-5 novels and I think I know enough about who the Didact is even without having read Bear's novels, but I hope I'm not lost at any part of it. :ohdear:

Also, a little late to the Gametrailers discussion, but I haven't been able to trust them since their review of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, where they complained that enemies can see you too easily and if they see you it's sometimes an immediate game over and you have no way of telling why you were spotted!! :supaburn: Complete with a video of someone playing it, walking out from behind cover and immediately getting a MISSION FAILED: YOU HAVE BEEN DETECTED. The thing is, enemies never immediately detect you, it takes them several seconds to ID you, and when they're doing that you get a big-rear end indicator on-screen showing where exactly the enemy ID'ing you is so you can dash to cover before he turns hostile. I don't know if they were lying or dumb or just working off an early review copy that didn't have that feature and they didn't update their review to reflect the changes but now I just watch their reviews for the gameplay clips and ignore the actual review itself.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I use GameTrailers constantly but it's solely to see actual gameplay footage of games that I'm interested in. I don't really think anybody should pay attention to what they actually have to say because their reviews are generally garbage.

Speaking of gameplay footage, I saw some multiplayer footage for this game where somebody pulled off a really slick looking assassination on somebody in mid air :aaa: Is that new to the series? I don't recall that ever happening in Reach online, but it looks awesome :D

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

MUFFlNS posted:

I saw some multiplayer footage for this game where somebody pulled off a really slick looking assassination on somebody in mid air

Yeah, that's in Reach too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Ign posted:

Few game series are known as much for their music as Halo, and thus much has been made of British electronica producer Neil Davidge taking over for the beloved Bungie incumbent, Marty O’Donnell. It’s a bold shift – and probably wise of 343 to go in a tonally different direction rather than attempt to emulate O’Donnell – but the results are mixed. The trademark monk chants are gone, and Davidge’s moody tunes are complementary rather than additive. The new tracks simply aren’t memorable and never elevate the action happening on the screen the way that O’Donnell’s bombastic scores did, though this may be intentional, as Davidge’s compositions are decidedly atmospheric.
Welp, can't say I didn't see that coming.

drat, I too saw that coming. I've met Marty in person at Video Games Live, he's a really nice guy, and gently caress his composing is amazing, definitely one of the more emotional game composers right now. So I knew it was gonna hurt without him.

I was thinking they'd just emulate his style, maybe even licence some of the tracks from previous Halo games and just mix in a few new tracks along the same style that we wouldn't notice were new necessarily.

I admire the idea to instead break away, since nobody's gonna out O'Donnel Marty. But... sounds like they kinda stumbled, which is the problem with trying to do something different, you gotta do it well. Hrm. :/

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Struggling to ignore reviews so I can have my own opinion when I play,but I'm so drat excited!

Leon Einstein posted:

It's most fun when you don't have people deranking or boosting during games. Are they going to have credits in this one? If so, there's the number you can enjoy watching rise.

Just play a social list to have fun. Not all playlists need to be competitive with a visible rank.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Also hammered out 'A Monument to All Your Sins' in preparation.

If I finish my run of all the games before next week, I think I'll try to knock out that one. I'm already on ODST, only 3 left after this, so I'll probably have the weekend to do a legendary run of Reach :)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If I finish my run of all the games before next week, I think I'll try to knock out that one. I'm already on ODST, only 3 left after this, so I'll probably have the weekend to do a legendary run of Reach :)

It was actually a lot easier than I expected, mostly because while Noble team is terrible at shooting they are invulnerable. That plus no utterly terrible levels (Cortana I'm looking at you you poo poo) made it relatively painless.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, I too saw that coming. I've met Marty in person at Video Games Live, he's a really nice guy, and gently caress his composing is amazing, definitely one of the more emotional game composers right now. So I knew it was gonna hurt without him.

I was thinking they'd just emulate his style, maybe even licence some of the tracks from previous Halo games and just mix in a few new tracks along the same style that we wouldn't notice were new necessarily.

I admire the idea to instead break away, since nobody's gonna out O'Donnel Marty. But... sounds like they kinda stumbled, which is the problem with trying to do something different, you gotta do it well. Hrm. :/

If you have iTunes you can listen to the 1 minute 30 second previews of the OST songs, and I think they sound good. O'Donnell had a one-of-a-kind sound to his work so anyone's going to feel wrong following him up, but I'm doing my best to listen to Davidge's songs with no preconceptions about O'Donnell and I'm really liking them. The first two, Awakening and Belly of the Beast, are especially good, in my opinion.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
The Polygon review is pretty good, it also has some great screen shots.

http://www.polygon.com/game/halo-4/2204

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Booties posted:

Struggling to ignore reviews so I can have my own opinion when I play,but I'm so drat excited!
Yeah, after I read the bit about the music in the IGN review I realized I didn't want to taint my opinion any further.

quote:

Stuff about visible ranks
I know you mentioned it being funny that people were buying 50s (and it is), but the other problem created that MS probably wants to cut out is the scamming of idiots that comes along with account sellers/boosters.

A scenario: Little Johnny spends a few weeks of his allowance money on a 1600 MSP card and gives the info to this friendly guy on the internet who says he'll rank Johnny up to 50, all Johnny has to do is give him the password to the account and wait a few days. A few days later with no contact, no 50, and no XBL account it finally dawns on Johnny that something might be amiss. He tells mom and dad what happened, then XBL customer service has to deal with angry parents demanding money back, demanding to know why Microsoft lets bad people prey on innocent childrens' allowances, threatening lawsuits if/when MS says there's really nothing that can be done, etc.

Basic phishing scam, sure, and any of us who've been around the internet a while/are at least reasonably intelligent know that, but I'll bet that figures in to it quite a bit. I'd wager some of the scammers don't even bother with the phishing and just go with "send me 1600 MSP and I'll boost you." "Okay!" "Thanks for the $20, later sucker!"

Either way, MS probably figured out "if Trueskill isn't visible, that poo poo happens a lot less."

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

:stare:

What is wrong with his neck?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

iSheep posted:

Nothing? :confused: Looks fine to me. I think he's jutting his head forward slightly, but that's probably due to the sleeve that's around the neck (presumably part of the armor).

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Uhhh yeah, I'm stoked after reading all these reviews

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Machnima Respawn is live streaming 24/7 up till monday

Gamespot is featuring T2 for a while if you want to see someone good at this game playing

Recap of 343i and Major Nelson playing yesterday

These were probably posted already, but no harm in posting again

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 1, 2012

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Holy poo poo, the almost-comeback on the Gamespot feed just about killed me.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

iSheep posted:

It's mostly that his turtle neck armor is black and blends into the back ground, so it looks like his neck is longer than it really is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God drat, I don't think anything could've pumped me up for this game as much as that IGN review :stare:

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Holy poo poo, the almost-comeback on the Gamespot feed just about killed me.

I was watching at the same time. T2 was doing awesome inside the buildings and I totally started rooting for the last minute comeback. Close... but it wasn't his day.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Has there been confirmation if Reach's psych profiles are back in? Setting them all to the "chill as hell" settings was a big part of why Reach was the most fun MP to me. Nothing I've seen has confirmed or denied its inclusion, though.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Just went into gamestop and paid off my preorder. gently caress you Halo I thought I was done with you :argh:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
If anyone has any pre-order store exclusive armor codes I would love to give you an offer or take them off your hands if you aren't going to use them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

If anyone has any pre-order store exclusive armor codes I would love to give you an offer or take them off your hands if you aren't going to use them.

Ive got a gamestop one coming that I give no fucks about.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Tsquared is making GBS threads on people

also, if the pill emblem that i have been using since halo 2 isn't available i'm going to throw a temper tantrum

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
If anyone had any doubt that the music would be awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jzASp7s2w

The soundtrack is on Spotify as well, highly recommended :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cellophane S posted:

If anyone had any doubt that the music would be awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jzASp7s2w

The soundtrack is on Spotify as well, highly recommended :)

Its not awful. But it sounds like it came out of the Hans Zimmer music factory.

• Locked thread