Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Pesky Splinter posted:

With no word of hyperbole, I honestly find his new backstory insulting to my intelligence. It is literally the worst kind of fan fiction.

The half-angel and half-demon thing is the kind of crap you'd expect to find on Deviant Art, and, like you said, removes the significance of the powerful, Sparda settling down with an ordinary human. And that removes the importance that Eva plays to both Dante and Vergil.
Her humanity drives Dante to be who he is, and made him what he is, and he places great importance to that. And it's her death, the comparative weakness of humanity compared to the demons, and his guilt over not being strong enough to protect her, that drives Vergil to see the world how he does (that's just my opinion of it, nothing solid).

Of course, DMC doesn't have stellar story telling - it's not meant to. At best, they are cohesive and solid, but average, and at their worst, a jumbled gently caress up. But the point is, they never really make themselves out to be anything other than what they are. They're action games. That's all they need.

Why I find DmC's story so insulting, is because NT have basically put so much focus on why it's brilliant and ground breaking and pushing new boundaries blah blah blah.
And they've done it, and it's utter tripe. But it's utter tripe that they're trying to palm off as a prime beef steak. It's DMC as written by a bunch of 14 year old Tv tropers, right down to hitting every single loving cliche they could. And this is only the bits we've seen, and without getting into the whole social commentary aspect.

I can accept stupid plots and bad plots and cliches and all that. What I can't accept is the attitude of the developers unironically going "This is a mature story, which treats you like an adult", when all they seem to have done is just scour Fanfiction.net for the worst ideas they could find.

"How do we make it edgy?"
"Make him smoke, gently caress, and swear."
"How do we make it cool?"
"Have him say 'gently caress!' a load, and have him be like all badass and gently caress chicks, yeah."
"How do we make it relevant?"
"Stick in Anonymous and V fo Vendetta, and Fox News and CCTV and reality tv."

I'm just amazed that given all the creative freedoms they were, this is what they came up with, and thought was a good idea?

Man...that's a lot of words about DmC's story.

I haven't really been following development of this game closely, but I watched whatever trailer is on the X360 dash right now. Holy poo poo, is this thing ever up its own rear end with the whole "gently caress THE SYSTEM, MAN" thing.

Combine that with the whiny beyond my wildest fears Dante, and I just don't even know. I'll rent it if the mechanics are solid, but seriously, gently caress Ninja Theory all day long with their stupid story ideas. If thatgamecompany could develop games with actual mechanics but boosted the pretentious artgame nonsense even further to compensate, you'd have Ninja Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, Steam Halloween Sale went up and neither DMC3 nor 4 have a discount. Hopefully it's just an error, but you never know with Capcom these days.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

toasterwarrior posted:

Dammit, Steam Halloween Sale went up and neither DMC3 nor 4 have a discount. Hopefully it's just an error, but you never know with Capcom these days.

Dollars to doughnuts this is deliberate in order to disincentivise people from buying the older product. Wouldn't want people acknowledging old and busted DmC when shiny new DMC is right around the corner!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Eh, on further browsing I kinda doubt that since RE5 isn't on sale either and that's definitely a series associated with horror and Halloween.

Yes, I know RE5 isn't really a horror game, but you know what I mean. Zombies and poo poo. It's more likely that Capcom dropped the ball when it came to authorizing discounts or they didn't think it was worth it this year. :sigh:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Chachi posted:

Dollars to doughnuts this is deliberate in order to disincentivise people from buying the older product. Wouldn't want people acknowledging old and busted DmC when shiny new DMC is right around the corner!

I think you got your mixed capital letters acronyms a little confused there.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Eh, on further browsing I kinda doubt that since RE5 isn't on sale either and that's definitely a series associated with horror and Halloween.

Yes, I know RE5 isn't really a horror game, but you know what I mean. Zombies and poo poo. It's more likely that Capcom dropped the ball when it came to authorizing discounts or they didn't think it was worth it this year. :sigh:

RE6 came out a month ago it'd be a foolish marketing move to focus sales efforts on 5 instead of 6

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Miracle posted:

RE6 came out a month ago it'd be a foolish marketing move to focus sales efforts on 5 instead of 6

But RE6 isn't out on PC yet?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A minor thing from the Playstation Battle All Stars thing:

One of Dante's alt colours is Vergil's jacket.

Apparently, the devs wanted Classic Dante, but Capcom put their foot down, to the point that there isn't even going to be a Classic skin.

Anyway, Amazon is now taking pre-orders for DmC for those interested:

US
DmC

UK
Xbox
PS3

Capcom is also doing a deal, where if you pre-order the game from their store, you get this free metal and resin pendant with it.

I'll pass, thanks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Apparently, the devs wanted Classic Dante, but Capcom put their foot down, to the point that there isn't even going to be a Classic skin.

I can't think of a a single good reason for this, then again Capcom has proven time and time again its full of morons.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They want to advertise the new game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

I can't think of a a single good reason for this, then again Capcom has proven time and time again its full of morons.

Marketing. Plain and simple.

[e]: Beaten.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Weird as hell seeing New Dante wear Classic Vergil's coat though. Why bother if it's going to be a half-assed reference then?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I was going to make a joke about "Dante is actually Vergil and Vergil is actually Dante" but realized that's just stupid enough to end up being true.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Seeing that dude clothes other than ones that look like they haven't been washed in a week is really strange

Probably because he still looks like he hasn't showered in a week

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I see the Capcom higher ups as less morons and more full-blown eccentric egotists. They can still pitch a pretty good game if they can manage to put their minds to it and not go too far off on some wacky tangent but all too often they become their own worst enemy. Especially when they get on one of their "We will tell you what you want and you will like it!" trips.

The sad part is when one of their crazy schemes backfire, instead fessing up to it they tend to bury the entire series and pretend it never existed (Breath of Fire being the classic example but there are quite a few others). I get the feeling that is what is going to happen with DMC even if the remake does tank. Capcom are not exactly big on admitting to their mistakes let alone learning from them.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

The demo for DmC will also be playable at the London Comic-con.

I played a demo at PlayExpo (2 weeks before MCM aka London Comic-con)

There were two levels, the one where you go through the town and it tries to crush you and you have to destroy cameras, and then the one with the Slurm Queen boss.

I was going to sit here and write some massive effortpost about just how every single part of the demo was really badly designed, but I'll just say it's like Okami but with all of the fun and charm removed from it. It's like they saw Ammy's air dash in Marvel 3 or the vine grip in Okami and went "WE GOTTA HAVE THIS IN OUR GAME."

The 'best' bit was when Dante goes into the church and I was thinking "Oh this is an 'enemy room' because it's huge and open which will let me abuse mobility, crowd control, destroyable furniture and just style on enemies." and then I just spent the next minute and a half gripping blue targets while the room GREW LONGER to give me more targets to grab.

The Slurm Queen boss was me just staring with my mouth open at the dialogue and then just doing the Devil Mode strength move while in Devil Trigger and killing her in 10 seconds AND THEN I GOT TO DO MORE OKAMI STYLE VINE GRIPPING I LOVE THAT poo poo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
How did the combat control?

That sort of platforming is set to appear throughout the rest of the game - the previews of levels from the middle of the game are basically more of that platforming. And the dialogue they've shown is just as bad; if it's not someone screaming "gently caress YOU!" at someone, it's them trying to have a horribly melodramatic scene, or social commentary.

[e]: I guess we'll find out first hand soon enough.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A date for the demo has been announced:

Xbox - 20th November
PS3 - 21st November

A PC demo has yet to be announced.

Source: http://www.zavvi.com/blog/games/demo-dated-for-dmc-devil-may-cry/

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Good, I've been waiting to get my hands on this game. The thing about demos for these types of games is you can usually tell how good the mechanics are going to be by the videos of players posting their best runs to Youtube. The Reveangence demo play that just got posted this week is proof of that, now I'm sold on that game.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

How did the combat control?

Okay as a standalone game that had nothing to do with Devil May Cry in any way shape or form, it controlled acceptably, nothing really seemed to drop or act weird.

As a Devil May Cry game it controlled like a disaster, there was no lock-on (seriously I need to bold this and make it 72pt font because holy poo poo), evade was it's own button which made Dante do some weird synthesis of a roll and Trickster dash, launch was its own button and I swear I had three attacks total, a normal sword combo, a 'power combo' that I got by entering Devil Mode and an 'area combo' that I got by entering Angel Mode, also the grab system is so clunky compared to DMC4's it's unreal.

I know I said this before but it controls like Okami without the paintbrush elements or the different weapons or even the counter and I'm going to stop this now because I'm insulting Okami way too much.

Pesky Splinter posted:

That sort of platforming is set to appear throughout the rest of the game - the previews of levels from the middle of the game are basically more of that platforming. And the dialogue they've shown is just as bad; if it's not someone screaming "gently caress YOU!" at someone, it's them trying to have a horribly melodramatic scene, or social commentary.

[e]: I guess we'll find out first hand soon enough.
VVV

I finished DMC2 I wish I could rent this or something because I don't want to give this company any of my money ever but I want to experience it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chucat posted:

Okay as a standalone game that had nothing to do with Devil May Cry in any way shape or form, it controlled acceptably, nothing really seemed to drop or act weird.

That's good news at least. We said a long long time ago in the thread it would have been better for this to have been an original IP, considering just how little it shares with the other DMC games. And if it plays fine that's okay.

Chucat posted:

As a Devil May Cry game it controlled like a disaster

Aye, there's the rub.

Chucat posted:

I finished DMC2 I wish I could rent this or something because I don't want to give this company any of my money ever but I want to experience it.

The best thing to do is either rent it, or buy it from the pre-owned shelf (it doesn't take that long for it to start appearing like that). That's what I plan to do, anyway. Because gently caress Capcom if this is the direction they want the series to head, and gently caress NT for being up their own arse.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The worst thing about playing the demo was hearing the people behind me saying how much better it was than the original games. The same thing happened after watching a screening of Alien, and hearing how much better they thought the stupid, pretentious, completely-missing-the-point sequel was.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
C'mon man, you didn't just diss Aliens now? :colbert:

What's your opinion on the demo, That loving Sned? Yay, or nay?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

That loving Sned posted:

The worst thing about playing the demo was hearing the people behind me saying how much better it was than the original games. The same thing happened after watching a screening of Alien, and hearing how much better they thought the stupid, pretentious, completely-missing-the-point sequel was.

Um but Alien is clearly superior to all its half assed sequels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Aliens was a fantastic movie though. If DmC was actually like Aliens then I'd probably be pleased with it even if it was different.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Aliens was a fantastic movie though. If DmC was actually like Aliens then I'd probably be pleased with it even if it was different.

Yep, exactly- good movie despite being a completely different kind of movie.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

The worst thing about playing the demo was hearing the people behind me saying how much better it was than the original games.

This makes me mad.

That loving Sned posted:

The same thing happened after watching a screening of Alien, and hearing how much better they thought the stupid, pretentious, completely-missing-the-point sequel was.

This makes me VERY mad!

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Just out of curiosity, isn't all this poo poo happening because somebody at Capcom doesn't like Dante as a character?

I can't remember where I heard but I think I remember this also being the reason that Nero was in 4, too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I think the decision to outsource DMC came from Inafune, who is no longer in Capcom. I doubt he had anything against Dante. He was just going through a midlife crisis and thought they had to Westernize everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Capitalism Bro! posted:

Just out of curiosity, isn't all this poo poo happening because somebody at Capcom doesn't like Dante as a character?

I can't remember where I heard but I think I remember this also being the reason that Nero was in 4, too.

It's pretty firmly blamed on Keiji Inafune. He was a big push for "westernizing" games but not in the way you think. He basically approached it as "Japanese oversight on Western developers" and pushed for that, leading to games like Bionic Commando, Dark Void, Dead Rising 2 and this. So far DR2 is the only seeming success story but YMMV.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
gently caress me, a dearth of news and then everything comes at once:

Training Mode - A la Bayonetta's practise mode.

DLC Skins
- There will be other skins that can either be unlocked by completing various modes or buying DLC.

First Boss preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LMlSizVjjxk

New character, Phineas

He's apparently an old friend of Sparda, and offers to help Dante find Mundus' weak spot or something. There's a level in a subway about collecting his eye.

New Battle vids:
Bloodlines
Combo vid
Home Truths - Dante visits his old home, sees a picture of Sparda, and is like "My dad. What are you trying to show me":geno:, getting the Axe weapon, and going "Hell yeah.":geno: - The voice acting has gotten worse somehow. And he learns he is a 'Nephilim', the offspring of a demon and angel. Yep.

DIFFICULTY LEVELS!

Human - Easy
Devil Hunter - Normal
Nephilim - Hard, named after the offspring of angels and humans (way to gently caress up again NT).
Son of Sparda - Enemies get tougher, attack waves are remixed.
Dante Must Die - Contains the strongest enemies and insane attack waves
Heaven or Hell - The remixed mode, but everyone and everything, including Dante, dies after one hit.
Hell and Hell - The same as above, but only Dante dies after one hit.

Misc:

Here's an extract of a playthrough of the first two hours or so:

quote:

Following a quick brawl with the Hunter Demon Dante is whisked away by Kat, his new female companion, to meet her boss - the illusive leader of 'The Order'. The masked man reveals himself as 'Vergil' and forces an ambivalent Dante to experience some home truths in hopes that he will be more sympathetic to the underground resistance movement.

In mission two Kat, who as it turns out is a psychic/wiccan, opens a portal to Dante's old home, a stately manor ruined by years of decay. Upon his arrival it springs to life and pulls Dante into Limbo. Demons emerge from the dark corners and try to cut Dante down. They fail, thanks to his sword and trusty dual-pistols Ebony and Ivory.

It's at his home that Dante learns of his childhood, that he is 'Nephilim', the offspring of a demon and angel. He remembers his father was once the right hand of Mundus, but betrayed the demon overlord after falling in love with an angel. It's where he's alerted to the existence of his twin brother, and forced to relive the death of his mother at the hands of demons.

During Dante's trip down memory lane he finds the family insignia and upon contact with it he is transported into another realm of floating platforms and mind-bending gravity. At the centre of this new world is an hauntingly odd statue of a figure held in place by chains. To get around this world without plunging into oblivion Dante is given the 'Ophinion Demon Pull' which - as the name implies - let's him lock on to far off grapple points and safely launch himself towards them. Later on in the game he also gains a similar grab ability that yanks enemies towards him.

All of this feeds into a seemingly intelligent rating system. Whereas in previous games players had to constantly cycle through the bewildering number of moves and weapons to progress through the style ranks, just keeping the combo going is enough to earn an SS rank in DmC. Of course to do this you'll have to make effective use of Dante's abilities, but it's not as demanding or as strict as it used to be. (:mad:)

Higher combo ratings in turn dictate how tough enemies are; if the player is running rings around everyone and racking up S ranks, enemies will begin to take more damage and put up more of a fight.

Death of Eva

gently caress you, you steryotypical angel chick.

Dante CA

More CA

Oh gently caress this noise:

gently caress you NT, gently caress you to the ends of the Earth. If I ever need an image to sum up how loving terrible you are, it'll be this. Also, the artist hosed up on the reflections. Shouldn't everything be reversed? An edit of Goatse could probably fit in there, at least. That'd make my day.

And there's an article on New Dante's design.: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-31-how-the-sex-pistols-fight-club-and-james-dean-made-the-new-dante

Sources: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1660472/devil_may_cry_first_dmc_dlc_details.html
http://www.gamesradar.com/dmc-devil-may-cry-four-extreme-difficulty-settings-confirmed-unlockable/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/376173/previews/hands-on-devil-may-crys-first-2-hours-leave-a-strong-impression/?page=1#top_banner

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Has the demonic voice chanting what ranking your currently at during combat been there the whole time, or is it new?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BlackFrost posted:

Has the demonic voice chanting what ranking your currently at during combat been there the whole time, or is it new?

I think it's new, I don't recall hearing it in the other vids. Though it tends to be drowned out by someone talking over it. That might get annoying.

[e]:
It's actually an improvement over Bayonetta's one (HA! The last time I say that in regards to DmC!), because this one has a dummy enemy to practise on. Outside of the tutorial stage and preview moves, Bayo was just shadow boxing basically.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 1, 2012

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Training Mode - A la Bayonetta's practise mode.
[b]

This is actually a pretty good idea and honestly all that a Devil May Cry game needed. Teaching people how to be better will be of great benefit to the player and will help out new players to see what makes action games great.

Pesky Splinter posted:

gently caress you NT, gently caress you to the ends of the Earth. If I ever need an image to sum up how loving terrible you are, it'll be this. Also, the artist hosed up on the reflections. Shouldn't everything be reversed? An edit of Goatse could probably fit in there, at least.

And there's an article on New Dante's design.: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-31-how-the-sex-pistols-fight-club-and-james-dean-made-the-new-dante

This however is very bad. I can't bring myself to read the article because I'm afraid it'll just be another NT dicksucking and that'll make me too angry to go to work.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Laughing at "it was hard to get SS rankings in old games and that sucks! Don't worry, it's easy in this game."

Stygi
Oct 12, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

This however is very bad. I can't bring myself to read the article because I'm afraid it'll just be another NT dicksucking and that'll make me too angry to go to work.
It is. These articles are all so repetitive that we've effectively read everything that garm jurnalizts will ever write about this game, with the exception of the occasional sentence or two that actually contains new information.

Stygi fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 1, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Hmm yes I also walk into dirty bathrooms and make a weirdly clean puncture with my finger.

I also like how you can't see the sinks in front of the mirror that are reflected, as well as the deep and thought provoking graffiti such as
  • TIME
  • WA.R
  • FOOD BITCH
  • ANARCHY MAKES SENSE
  • FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE loving FOR VIRGINITY
  • WARNING VERY HOT WATER

But seriously, what is that hole in his chest? Is it a bullet wound? Did he just rip open his own chest with a finger? Either way, that there's so little blood is more creepy than anything else there. Shouldn't he be like, poking his lung or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Hmm yes I also walk into dirty bathrooms and make a weirdly clean puncture with my finger.

I also like how you can't see the sinks in front of the mirror that are reflected, as well as the deep and thought provoking graffiti such as
  • TIME
  • WA.R
  • FOOD BITCH
  • ANARCHY MAKES SENSE
  • FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE loving FOR VIRGINITY
  • WARNING VERY HOT WATER

But seriously, what is that hole in his chest? Is it a bullet wound? Did he just rip open his own chest with a finger? Either way, that there's so little blood is more creepy than anything else there. Shouldn't he be like, poking his lung or something?

He ripped his chest open so he could see his own beating heart. It was described earlier.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante CA

More CA

gently caress you NT, gently caress you to the ends of the Earth. If I ever need an image to sum up how loving terrible you are, it'll be this. Also, the artist hosed up on the reflections. Shouldn't everything be reversed? An edit of Goatse could probably fit in there, at least. That'd make my day.

I still can't get over how much I hate Dante's new design, it's all just so incredibly off putting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stygi
Oct 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He ripped his chest open so he could see his own beating heart. It was described earlier.
The Eurogamer article seems to imply that that's a stab wound he got in a fight. Said stab wound led him to realize that he's immortal and then immediately emo the gently caress out.

...I'm not sure if that context is better or worse.

Stygi fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 1, 2012

• Locked thread