Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mousepractice posted:

The worst chips I ever had in my life were from Nandos in the Brunswick Centre.

You entirely deserved that for going to Nandos in the Brunswick and not the Hare & Tortoise.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
That Hare & Tortoise is pretty rubbish. Can't believe people queue for it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Now the Hare and Tortoise at the west end of Kensington high street, I won't hear a bad word about.

'R4' for lunch at least once a week for almost 2 years.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Spuckuk posted:

Now the Hare and Tortoise at the west end of Kensington high street, I won't hear a bad word about.

'R4' for lunch at least once a week for almost 2 years.

I went there a few years ago and never went back. Was thoroughly unimpressed.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I mentally confuse that with the Slug & Lettuce all the drat time. I was wondering why people were hyping such a terrible chain of bars!

Also I have to admit I am just fine with Nandos, as I'm just fine with Wagamamas and any other medium-level chain. I like their peri peri salt and their free-for-all policy on condiments :ohdear:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Plus the buy X chicken and get X chicken free stamp cards are pretty sweet if you're a broke student and your mum happens to take a lot of people to Nandos and gives you full stamp cards.

Wagamamas, I find the portions are too big. I'd rather get a smaller portion that was slightly nicer. You get loads for your money, but I always feel like it's just too much and that the sides are better because they taste nicer than the main dishes.

But yes, these places are not the best food in London and I wouldn't boast about going there or even really get excited about going. It's more a case of "hey, I have no food in the house and I've got a full Nandos stamp card, do you want to go and split a whole chicken and some sides?"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I get 20% off nandos thanks to the nhs so it makes it a much more reasonable price :smug:

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 3, 2012

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I get 20% off nandos thanks to the nhs so it makes it a much more reasonable price :smug:

No wonder the one near King's College Hospital is always packed!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Seems to be a lot of N4 goons here! Got to concur that Dotori is fantastic but they really need to go somewhere bigger. I'd go there all the time if I could get a table.

Not really eating but I had great drinks at the Experimental Cocktail Club last night.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knox_harrington posted:

Seems to be a lot of N4 goons here! Got to concur that Dotori is fantastic but they really need to go somewhere bigger. I'd go there all the time if I could get a table.

Not really eating but I had great drinks at the Experimental Cocktail Club last night.
Are you the famous video artist, the one with the cleft rear end in a top hat?

Never managed to make it to Dotori despite trying. My wife has. :argh:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Mousepractice posted:

On the subject of takeaway (in the eating out thread, no less), is anyone else a fan of Kris Wines on York Way? If you're anywhere near Camden Road / Holloway / Kentish it's an important destination. They stock more amazing beers than you could hope to sample in one blurry, cirrhotic lifetime.

Kris wines is the reason me living anywhere near it would mean I would be broker and more cirrhotic than I am. Place is ace though some of the import stuff sits on the shelves too long and the hops die off. For that reason I wouldn't get Yellow Snow IPA from there for example.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If The Roundhouse near Covent Garden still exists then I recommend it. I enjoyed it a lot even though there was absolutely nothing remarkable about it.

e:
Looks like it does. :3: 1 Garrick Street.
The pictures make it look more glitzed up than I remember it being. It mostly gets points for being the first restaurant I ate at in London after a long flight and a crappy breakfast from the Holiday Inn Express. Ended up going two days in a row.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 4, 2012

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
If we're on the topic of bottle shops, my local is the City Beverage Company on Old Street (http://www.citybeverage.co.uk/). If you're buying beer or wine for BYO Vietnamese on Kingsland road and you go anywhere else buying cans of Holsten Pils you're doing it wrong.

powertoiletduck fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 5, 2012

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's a London Goon Quiz happening this weekend. And er...it's in a pub that serves food?

I keep going back to MEATMarket. I could easily die a greasy death there.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I have a few hours to kill waiting for a train in Clapham junction next week. Late afternoon/early evening. Does anyone know any decent (read: not 'spoons) pubs or bars within shambling distance of the platform?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Just wander down Northcote Rd south of the station til you hit something. If nothing else you'll wind up at The Drafthouse which isn't awful.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

Vlex posted:

I have a few hours to kill waiting for a train in Clapham junction next week. Late afternoon/early evening. Does anyone know any decent (read: not 'spoons) pubs or bars within shambling distance of the platform?

Since I live nearby, some suggestions. Not sure if food was a factor...
If you turn right and walk up St Johns Hill you'll find Powderkeg Diplomacy. A fairly new bar, part of a small group who also run Lost Angel in Battersea. It's a prohibition era bar, cocktails and not bad bar snacks.
You'll also have passed the Plough getting there, recently refit and nice enough to sit and kill a couple of hours but I didn't like the food.

As mentioned above, Northcote Road is probably your best bet, but you may want to turn left up Battersea Rise just before Northcote Road and take a look at Soif, sister to the well known and popular Terroirs near Trafalgar Square. Can get busy but again offers some bar snacks.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Past the plough is ben's canteen. Have a beer bloody mary.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Finally had a free lunch in the neighbourhood today so I went to Dotori. I had the dolsot bibimbap with some cucumber kimchi. It was good. Tasty, fresh, and I enjoyed it. I wasn't blown away but as a decent, cheapish neighbourhood Korean restaurant it's good, and I would happily eat there again. I don't love it in the way that I love Koya, but then again, it's cheaper.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I honestly think for Bibimbap, 'Bibimbap' on Greek street in Soho, for £6.95 does a loving GREAT beef bulgogi or chilli chicken. Honestly, I go there so often it's ridiculous.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

I honestly think for Bibimbap, 'Bibimbap' on Greek street in Soho, for £6.95 does a loving GREAT beef bulgogi or chilli chicken. Honestly, I go there so often it's ridiculous.
I had the veg bibimbap there, as well as at Hankang on Hanway St (where I used to work) and Koba on Rathbone Street. The Koba portions are smaller but I thought it was the best, although all three are good. I had beef bibimbap at Dotori and it was about the same level - which is good!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Past the plough is ben's canteen. Have a beer bloody mary.

This. A pint loving bloody mary. Plus the service is good. I would stumble there for a Sunday brunch much more if I could afford the drat thing, though.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Leaving for London in 11 days. I've got a booking at Brasserie Zedel, and apart from that I'm just gonna wing it. If any GWS-goons are up for a beer some day between 17th and 20th I'm game.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went for drinks in the Zedel a few weeks ago. It was quite incredible, like being in the restaurant at the beginning of Temple of Doom.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I'm probably going to make an effort to swing by there for a cocktail now, thanks guys! Seems cool.

By the way, this is either quite brilliant or utterly stupid. Someone should go and report back. I love DJ Yoda though.

quote:

World famous spinner DJ Yoda will be releasing his brand new album this month. Aptly titled Chop Suey, the British mixmaster will be celebrating the release with a special week long take over of Dumplings Legend restaurant in London's Chinatown.

From Monday 5 November, Dumplings Legend will feature an exclusive DJ Yoda menu for three weeks with a range of special edition dishes, each one inspired by a different track featured on Chop Suey. “Happy”, collaboration with Boy George, is represented by Boy George's Karma Tofu Vegetarian Platter while “Sega Rip” featuring Scroobius Pip is recreated as Scroobius Pork Belly. After sampling the range of culinary delights on offer, diners can also purchase Yoda's new album.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

I'm probably going to make an effort to swing by there for a cocktail now, thanks guys! Seems cool.

By the way, this is either quite brilliant or utterly stupid. Someone should go and report back. I love DJ Yoda though.

He's playing in the Forum on saturday.

And that menu concept is so loving bizarre, that I'm going to do my best to get down and eat it.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

He's playing in the Forum on saturday.

And that menu concept is so loving bizarre, that I'm going to do my best to get down and eat it.

When are you thinking of going? I might join you seeing as we were caravan buddies already!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Neris posted:

When are you thinking of going? I might join you seeing as we were caravan buddies already!

Caravan as in the seriously over rated and over priced breakfast place on exmouth market? Give me The greasy spoon on the corner any day.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I will fight you. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get a table there on the weekend though and service is uneven.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Caravan as in the seriously over rated and over priced breakfast place on exmouth market? Give me The greasy spoon on the corner any day.

No, it's actually a literal caravan in a holiday park at a music festival called Bangface, hahaha. I had no idea Spuckuk was a goon, let alone a goon who would post in my GWS thread :eng101:

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Off to Pollen St Social shortly. Can't wait!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Enjoy! I went last night.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

I will fight you. It's kind of a pain in the rear end to get a table there on the weekend though and service is uneven.

My dad's in there all the time and loves it but honestly the amount they charge for an anaemic serving of bacon on toast that isn't even that good is ridiculous.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Thanks for the pub suggestions fellas, I might make a crawl out of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The thought occurs that if you've got hours at Clapham Junction to kill, you can be back in the West End in 10 minutes...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

Might go on Saturday before the gig itself. Will PM and let you know, have a few people coming from round the country and they have a pretty huge mancrush on Bodeans..

Next year I'm going to have to bring actual food to Bangface, and not just bags of sausages, bacon and coffee :D

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

The thought occurs that if you've got hours at Clapham Junction to kill, you can be back in the West End in 10 minutes...

^^This. It's worth the trip.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

:psyduck: You ATE at Bangface???

Probably cannot do Saturday as I have someone over, unfortunately, but please do post a trip report of DJ Yoda food. It sounds mad.

Tried out the new Pizza East up the road in Kentish Town with my sister. Last time I went was in Shoreditch in early 2009 and I wasn't impressed - tiny portions, and not very flavoursome. This one has a different menu, and I was much happier this time with the size and taste of the pizzas - lovely crust. (I had anchovies and capers, she had proscuitto and ricotta I forgot the name of. )

Also, this is going to sound impossibly demanding, BUT, are there any decent mid-range central-ish restaurants that you can more or less fairly solidly walk into (or call ahead by 20 minutes) on a Saturday night with a group of four or five without booking? I have to look after some people this weekend but it's being hard to get anyone to commit to booking anything, and the last thing I want is to lead five exhausted people from Greek Street to Frith Street to Wardour Street finding nothing...Hix??? Wright brothers? I don't know.

edit: :siren: 50% off ramen for the soft launch ( 7/11 - 17/11) at Shoryu Ramen on Regent Street, 11am-7pm . Looks good!

Neris fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 8, 2012

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Neris posted:

Tried out the new Pizza East up the road in Kentish Town with my sister. Last time I went was in Shoreditch in early 2009 and I wasn't impressed - tiny portions, and not very flavoursome. This one has a different menu, and I was much happier this time with the size and taste of the pizzas - lovely crust. (I had anchovies and capers, she had proscuitto and ricotta I forgot the name of. )

edit: :siren: 50% off ramen for the soft launch ( 7/11 - 17/11) at Shoryu Ramen on Regent Street, 11am-7pm . Looks good!

Every time I've made the trip up there (ok it's under 10 mins walk from home...) I've either been lured away by Chicken Shop or dirty burger, I'm still to try a pizza. Will give it a go next time though.

Thanks for the ramen tip, just about close enough to my office to visit over lunch.

Pollen St Social was just great. Food was very good to fantastic (taster menu), wines were brilliant, cocktails were exciting and a cut above most restaurant bars and service was lovely. They even gave me a piece of cake to take away as it was my birthday.
The oyster icecream by itself is unpleasant, but when I tried it with the wine the sommelier suggested it turned delicious and interesting. Cooked breakfast was one of the things I was looking forward to and it lived up to my expectations, full of flavour. The other highlight I think was how enthusiastic the sommelier was, she really nailed the pairings while still giving us options at every stage, and the wines had flavours that I never had before (especially a smokey white wine). We asked her to write down the pairings at the end of the meal so we could remember what we had and she was delighted that we wanted to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Ah, glad you enjoyed it. It wasn't my thing at all. Much preferred the pre-dinner tapas at Fernandez & Wells :)