Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

Panopticon is SO AWESOME. The song "Black Soot and Red Blood" is amazingly emotional, what with the miner speaking sample in the middle. Great great stuff. Kinda funny, the guy's name is Austin Lunn - when he moved to Kentucky, he found a guy to room with, whose name was also Austin Lunn. The latter Austin Lunn became the former Austin Lunn's producer and sound engineer.

Kentucky is right up there among my favorite BM releases this year. That track is so haunting, I mean, goddamn. You can't get much more grim than the plight early 20th century coal miners. Back Soot and Red Blood is amazing too, but no banjo!

I'm actually just really happy to have exposed a few more people to it. I would gladly throw some money to that guy if I could even find a way to do it, you can't even buy the loving album on amazon.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

Just out of interest, what do people think of Rotting Christ's recent material? Personally, I really like it, but I keep seeing them booked for shows where it's billed as a "FIRST 3 ALBUMS AND DEMOS ONLY" set. Do most people not like the later stuff? I don't think it sounds that different to be honest, just more polished.

I know I'm not most people, but I think RC changed sound massively and wouldn't listen to much, if anything, past Triarchy. The fests/shows you'll be referring to are NWN!, Redemption and Hell's Pleasure (2011). The vast majority of people at those had/will have zero interest in RC's new material. Redemption fest is slightly different because it's the personal preference of Neamthanga/Primordial for the early material, but that will be reflected in the crowd anyway.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

I know I'm not most people, but I think RC changed sound massively and wouldn't listen to much, if anything, past Triarchy. The fests/shows you'll be referring to are NWN!, Redemption and Hell's Pleasure (2011). The vast majority of people at those had/will have zero interest in RC's new material. Redemption fest is slightly different because it's the personal preference of Neamthanga/Primordial for the early material, but that will be reflected in the crowd anyway.

Yeah I'd just seen a lot of those sorts of sets being announced and was curious. I like the early material, in fact, I just ordered NWN's 7" boxset of early material because it looks amazing. Seriously considering attending Redemption, and seriously regretting not organising myself for NWN!

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had Diadem of 12 stars. I didn't dislike it, it just never grabbed me.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had forgotten about Ash Borer.

I just remembered, check out Marnost as well. I got very heavy Panopticon vibes from their demo Pukající Svět.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
I saw Grave, Dark Funeral, and Morbid Angel last night and it was a great show. Dark Funeral's new vocalist tears it up.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Funeral Mist posted:

I saw Grave, Dark Funeral, and Morbid Angel last night and it was a great show. Dark Funeral's new vocalist tears it up.

With this in mind, what are people's favourite live black metal bands? Even though obviously some bands kill live, it doesn't always seem to lend itself to the live environment, perhaps due to the large number of high profile studio projects? Anyway, the first ones to spring to mind for me were Taake, Høst is a totally magnetic frontman, and their new black n roll sound on Noregs Vapen works really well live. Then there's Watain. Regardless of what you think of them, they know how to put on a live show. Everything is tight as hell, and although it's showy, the pyro does rule. Finally, Enslaved. They were one of the best bands I saw this year at hellfest, and every time I see them, they seem so happy to be on that stage, and they seem to know what the crowd want to hear.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I totally agree about Watain. As long as you don't mind getting sucked into the relative cheese of it all, Erik is a totally mesmerizing performer.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nomapple posted:

With this in mind, what are people's favourite live black metal bands? Even though obviously some bands kill live, it doesn't always seem to lend itself to the live environment, perhaps due to the large number of high profile studio projects? Anyway, the first ones to spring to mind for me were Taake, Høst is a totally magnetic frontman, and their new black n roll sound on Noregs Vapen works really well live. Then there's Watain. Regardless of what you think of them, they know how to put on a live show. Everything is tight as hell, and although it's showy, the pyro does rule. Finally, Enslaved. They were one of the best bands I saw this year at hellfest, and every time I see them, they seem so happy to be on that stage, and they seem to know what the crowd want to hear.

Agreed, Enslaved is great. Marduk can be kind of same-y on record, but live they are amazing, total professionals that have been doing this a long time and know how to do it. And if you ever get a chance to see Immortal, absolutely go. Abbath has amazing presence and they sound great live.

Also, they get hated on a lot around here, but I saw Dimmu Borgir a few times about 5 years ago and they were always really, really good. Over-the-top and fun, the mix was always excellent and intelligible, and all the band members seemed to feed off the energy of the crowd. That said, no Hellhammer or ICS Vortex now so ymmv.

e: seen Nachtmystium in both their ultra-kvlt underground phase and their psychedelic phase and was blown away both times. Looking forward to seeing them on this tour with Weapon.

e2: Inquisition is great, it's amazing the amount of noise 2 dudes can put out. Frog voice live is pretty incredible as well.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 17, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Monkeytime posted:

e: seen Nachtmystium in both their ultra-kvlt underground phase and their psychedelic phase and was blown away both times. Looking forward to seeing them on this tour with Weapon.

Yeah, but unfortunately it looks like we'll have to wait...

Nachtmystium Postpone Bulk Of Upcoming Tour With Jarboe, Etc.

Numerous stops of Nachtmystium‘s “Dawn Over The Ruins Of America” tour have been postponed due to an “unavoidable family emergency”. Currently the only dates that are a go for the trek can be found below, along with a statement from Nachtmystium:

“Nachtmystium, regretfully, has to reschedule its upcoming US tour due to an unavoidable family emergency. The band will still be able to perform the last four dates of the tour on the east coast, but all other dates will be rescheduled for the near future. Nachtmystium apologizes to all the fans and promoters as this was an unavoidable circumstance and we wish that things were different. However, we are beyond excited to come play for you soon. To those fans who will still be able to see us in November, we can’t wait to destroy your eardrums. See you soon!”

In light of the scaled down run, Weapon appear to have dropped off the bill, leaving only Jarboe and Lord Mantis as support:

11/16 St. Paul, MN – Station 4
11/18 Baltimore, MD – Ottobar
11/19 New York, NY – Saint Vitus
11/21 Chicago, IL – Ultra Lounge

In a related note, the new Weapon album, Embers and Revelations, is a beast!!! A heavy dose of blackened death.

Call it show or whatever you'd like, I agree that Watain is pretty well the best live black metal band I've seen to date.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Funeral Mist posted:

Dark Funeral's new vocalist tears it up.

I absolutely HATED him. He came off like he was applying for Angela Gossow's job of acting all INSANE, pointing at his head and smiling all CRAZY at the crowd. And he had his goth-rave skirt on.

Sorry hoss, Nergal hasn't quit yet, you can stop trying out for his spot.

Their drummer however was a one man show. I'll go see whatever band he plays in down the road.

nomapple posted:

With this in mind, what are people's favourite live black metal bands?

I regretfully haven't had the chance to see many real black metal bands. They just never seem to tour here so I'm limited to talking about DVD performances I've seen.

I think between the spectrum of acting like a Hot Topic cashier on stage, and standing there barking at the crowd, I lean towards Gaahl's stage presence of at least stalking around on stage. Sure it's not "entertaining" but black metal is every bit image as it is about the sound, and I'd rather see the guy bringing the message look as angry and focused as the music is.

That being said, Immortal. Abbath seems to really get off on his fans and firing up the crowd, doing his little dances and poo poo. He's the man and they're having a good time up there being grim.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 17, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Best live black metal? Agatus, Zemial, Mortuary Drape. Negative Plane sound pretty much exactly the same live as they do on cd/LP. Ascension have been otherworldly when I've seen them. Vomitor.

D666 when they're on take some beating though.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

QPZIL posted:

I totally agree about Watain. As long as you don't mind getting sucked into the relative cheese of it all, Erik is a totally mesmerizing performer.

I saw Watain over the summer and I was lucky not to have all my hair singed off, would definitely go and see them again though!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Best live black metal? Agatus, Zemial, Mortuary Drape. Negative Plane sound pretty much exactly the same live as they do on cd/LP. Ascension have been otherworldly when I've seen them. Vomitor.

D666 when they're on take some beating though.

D666 were excellent when I saw them, absolutely savage show. Negative Plane were also great. Maybe it's because I saw Ascension in a tent at midday, but they were far from spiritual. They sounded good, but were far from remarkable. I think Aosoth, who were on before them, were a lot better.

I want to add Altar of Plagues to my list. Although they are pretty far removed from traditional black metal with the amount of post rock influence they have, they are easily one of the most simultaneously crushing and cathartic live bands I've ever seen. Incredible.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

D666 were excellent when I saw them, absolutely savage show. Negative Plane were also great. Maybe it's because I saw Ascension in a tent at midday, but they were far from spiritual. They sounded good, but were far from remarkable. I think Aosoth, who were on before them, were a lot better.

I saw Ascension at midnight playing an open ended set. It was pretty much like watching Watain with different music. Aosoth have been alright when I've seen them, nothing special, although MkM is an excellent frontman.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Has anyone else tanken the time to listen to the new God Seed Gaahl / King lead effort, I Begin? I've listened to the new album and was kind of expecting (and rather hoping for at least) a Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam part II. It seems I may have gotten even more. I wasn't expecting such a heavy dose of organs and keys or all the industrial washes. Woah! I'm rather pleasantly surprised too. Gaahl and King have not only separated themselves from any Infernus lead Gorgoroth comparisons, but they're also surpassed any expectations I may have had for God Seed's first proper studio release. Bravo!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Has anyone else tanken the time to listen to the new God Seed Gaahl / King lead effort, I Begin? I've listened to the new album and was kind of expecting (and rather hoping for at least) a Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam part II. It seems I may have gotten even more. I wasn't expecting such a heavy dose of organs and keys or all the industrial washes. Woah! I'm rather pleasantly surprised too. Gaahl and King have not only separated themselves from any Infernus lead Gorgoroth comparisons, but they're also surpassed any expectations I may have had for God Seed's first proper studio release. Bravo!

I'm stoked you pointed this out. Listening to it now.

I have to say so far the keyboards are a major shock but so far they're keeping them fairly cool. Kinda classic horror movie keyboards.

Disappointed by Gaahl's vocals. I really wanted him to sound like he did with Gorgoroth with that shout/shriek of his. He sounds like "anyone else" on this album. :(

The song Lit sounds like the melody could be an alternate version of Sign of an Open Eye, one of my favorite Gorgoroth songs, but it doesn't have the eerie feeling that makes that song rule. I think maybe it's the slightly-too-good production, comparatively anyway?

This From The Past is a mashup of Wound Upon Wound and Carving a Giant. Good songs but this one lacks something those two had that I can't put to words at the moment...

What the gently caress is Bloodline?!

This isn't bad, but I was hoping for more. If anything it gives me hope they'll bring what made the Gaahl/King years of Gorgoroth together with what they're clearly capable of doing without Infernus. Twilight and Ad Majorem are my most favorite albums from Gorgoroth BECAUSE of what those two brought to the table and I feel like they're trying too hard to run from their former band, while clearly having written large parts of both bands, and what made those albums stand out.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 24, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

The song Lit sounds like the melody could be an alternate version of Sign of an Open Eye, one of my favorite Gorgoroth songs, but it doesn't have the eerie feeling that makes that song rule. I think maybe it's the slightly-too-good production, comparatively anyway?

I had the same exact feeling from this song. Sign of an Open Eye is one of those stand out atmospheric tracks from their catalog for me. Maybe the more polished production dose hinder it a bit. I still really like the release overall and enjoying their semi shift in direction. Gaahl's vocals didn't bother me. They seem a lot more varied and diverse than his previous stuff though. Maybe the production plays a role in that as well. At one point I could have sworn I heard female vocals on a few tracks.

I never would have imagined how much the organs contribute to their sound. We have the Dimmu Borgir keyboardist to thank for this? I thought Dimmu's last couple of releases were rather forgettable in that regard. If anything, I feel that King's influence from Sahg may be seeping over a bit. Still yet, this is far and above the stuff he released with Shagrath under the Ov Hell moniker.

Bloodline? What? You've never wondered what a Reznor or Vrenna remix of a Gorgoroth tune would sound like?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

HAHA yeah EXACTLY, it sounds like NIN.

It does sound like there's someone else chiming in with vocals now and then doesn't it?

I definitely wish Trelldom had seeped in more than Sahg. But you're spot on, this is 100% better than Ov Hell. It's better than the new Gorgoroth too but that isn't saying much.

Maybe the three of them need each other more than they want to admit :) I definitely think Kvitrafn might have brought something substantial to God Seed since he was on my favorite Gorgoroth albums and the Wardruna stuff is pretty cool.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 24, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Sacramentum's "Far Away From The Sun" is being re-released by Century Media.

...and remastered :negative:

...something about "improved artwork: :suicide:

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for the heads up on the God seed album, pretty stoked to hear it, lots of good musicians on the record.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Zodijackylite posted:

Sacramentum's "Far Away From The Sun" is being re-released by Century Media.

...and remastered :negative:

...something about "improved artwork: :suicide:

On the bright side, LP, so remastering will be hopefully negligible! Improved artwork sounds horrible and will be.

God Seed is awful. Ghaal should pretty much just go back to Trelldom and stick with Wardruna. King I guess should should crawl to Abbath and the rest and beg to start another "I" album.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
That keyboard player on God Seed also either is or was in Apoptygma Berzerk, so that might account for some of the unexepected sounds. While I don't exactly love this album, I've been listening to it with more attentiveness than anything of "theirs" since Incipit Satan -- an album whose weirdness I'd hoped Gorgoroth would pursue.

I'm sure they've been mentioned up down and sideways, but I've also been listening to Spite Extreme Wing's discography, and any time is a good time to remind people to listen to Spite Extreme Wing: uplifting melodic martial punky progressive black metal? I dunno, whatever it is, it rules.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Anus Dei posted:

That keyboard player on God Seed also either is or was in Apoptygma Berzerk, so that might account for some of the unexepected sounds. While I don't exactly love this album, I've been listening to it with more attentiveness than anything of "theirs" since Incipit Satan -- an album whose weirdness I'd hoped Gorgoroth would pursue.

I listened to Incipit Satan yesterday and that's the way to put it, it's a weird album for a band like Gorgoroth. I forgot how much I like it. Who the gently caress came up with Unchain my heart, when love rages in my heart? :) The silent movie-like piano lead. But then you've got Excerpt of X which is loving awesome, the direction I really hoped God Seed would go in right there.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 25, 2012

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
I've listened to the new God seed a few times now and would give it like a 75/100. Nothing super grabbing on it, but it's definitely a solid effort.

Speaking of Gorgoroth. Here's me covering all of twilight of the idols on drums (a couple mistakes (I had a brain fart on procreating satan), but I don't drop a stick the entire time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcp2aQiYC6c

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I kept seeing God Seed mentioned around the web but had no idea who they were talking about, at first I thought it was people giving Godspeed You! Black Emperor a funny name :/ I was never the biggest Gorgoroth fan but I might check this out when it goes up on Spotify anyway.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

nomapple posted:

I kept seeing God Seed mentioned around the web but had no idea who they were talking about, at first I thought it was people giving Godspeed You! Black Emperor a funny name :/ I was never the biggest Gorgoroth fan but I might check this out when it goes up on Spotify anyway.

Well it's completely different than anything Gorgoroth has done.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
So have any of you guys heard the new Dordeduh? They're the off-shoot band Hupogrammos and Sol Faur formed after leaving Negura Bunget. I'm not sure if anyone cares about Romanian black metal around these parts, but to my ears it's some of the best progressive/folk black metal I've heard in a long while and is probably my album of the year. I also think it's better than Negura Bunget's Om. It has better songwriting, more reigned-in keyboards, better integrated folk parts, better playing... I dunno, I guess I just find it better overall. Om does have a few really awesome songs, but I think Dordeduh outshines them.

Their label's streaming the entire album on Youtube, so here's three songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG9Fu2Hu3DM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVnsCsd7is

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

As long as we're in Romania (and while I'm waiting for ^^^this 16 min. song^^^ to start), if you've ever wanted to know what "viking" era Bathory with an Attila Csihar clone on vox would sound like:

Siculicidium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzf-kpDTxfQ

(In the Metal Archives reviews I see this band compared to Inquisition, and I can see that, too. The melodic drone, the lightless atmosphere, the frog voice: it's all there, just ... not as good. But I highly doubt we'll ever say, "here is a band like Inquisition, but better.")

e: this Dordeduh is pretty amazing.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 28, 2012

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
So this is pretty much my favorite black metal song ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BMA_vYVGc

Show me more like it

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Anus Dei posted:

As long as we're in Romania (and while I'm waiting for ^^^this 16 min. song^^^ to start), if you've ever wanted to know what "viking" era Bathory with an Attila Csihar clone on vox would sound like:

Siculicidium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzf-kpDTxfQ

That wasn't bad, I'm gonna have to hunt down that album. I think the only thing that kinda bothers me is the overly clone-y vocals, but then again I wasn't the biggest fan of Attila's, anyway. Always on the lookout for decent Romanian metal, though, and this sounds like it fits the bill (despite it being written/sung in Magyar :mad: )

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Daedra posted:

Show me more like it

Someone in the comments namedropped Tsjuder, and I'd have to agree -- for this song, anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISS57sY42Y

Craft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQJY8tW7Pw

Urgehal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QdaAFf39c

Carpathian Forest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rBVPPrLEI

Smekerman posted:

That wasn't bad, I'm gonna have to hunt down that album. I think the only thing that kinda bothers me is the overly clone-y vocals, but then again I wasn't the biggest fan of Attila's, anyway. Always on the lookout for decent Romanian metal, though, and this sounds like it fits the bill (despite it being written/sung in Magyar :mad: )

I got it earlier this month from Omega, but I just checked and they appear not to have it anymore.

I assume you've heard Makrothumia, the weird death band that 2 Negura Bunget guys used to be in? Sound quality isn't the best, but I love their album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tnd8KN7YoI

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Daedra posted:

Show me more like it

Early Darkthrone is the obvious recommendation. Oh and this, but you'd have to be exceptionally lazy to not have heard it yet.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Daedra posted:

Show me more like it

Go to the source. Everything after that are pretty much re-hashes and tributes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Daedra posted:

Show me more like it

While the suggestions of Darkthrone and Celtic Frost trump all that may follow, I have from time to time found new blood playing that old thrash crust style that I so do enjoy. This little gem just recently surfaced. Satan's Wrath

e: I LOL'd at the Obama campaign ad before Celtic Frost's Dethroned Emperor. T. Warrior knows his politics!

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 30, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'd like to remind all the young ones on the black metal thread that Venom's Black Metal turned 30 today (Nov. 1st). So lay down your souls to the gods rock n' roll!!!

On a related note, Italy's The Secret new album, Angus Dei, is a straight swift kick to the balls of black, sludge, hardcore, doom, crust punk metal. gently caress the melodies and enjoy it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is that the same The Secret that release Solve et Coagula? If so, stoked to hear that.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Is that the same The Secret that release Solve et Coagula? If so, stoked to hear that.

Why, yes... yes it is!

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'd like to remind all the young ones on the black metal thread that Venom's Black Metal turned 30 today (Nov. 1st). So lay down your souls to the gods rock n' roll!!!

I was going to make this post. This album holds a special place in my heart because it got me into metal. gently caress, it got me into music. I must've heard it when I was about 15, and it totally blew my mind. It's music, but it's EVIL?! :aaa:

It feels cheesy to say, but this album really did change my life. It opened my eyes to the ability to find things out for yourself, be it in musical taste or otherwise. That you don't have to take what you're given, that you can search for what makes you happy yourself, and find it yourself.

A bit sappy for an album like this, but gently caress it. This album rules so hard. :)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

It's also starting to become the perfect weather for black metal. I'll take mine cold and trebely please. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's also starting to become the perfect weather for black metal. I'll take mine cold and trebely please. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTwzLyNIziQ

Ah, what could have been.

I'm starting to feel like having vocals ruins Black Metal a whole lot more often than it improves it.