Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So, anyone know when the PSN is going to send out their $20 to people who spent $100 in the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Green Puddin posted:

So, anyone know when the PSN is going to send out their $20 to people who spent $100 in the store?

Sometime around the 9th, or at least that week.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So um. I bought NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure 2 when they came out, but now the PSN store seems to think I haven't. There's no red bag next to them and it asks me to pay for them instead of skipping directly to download, despite them being in my download history and also sitting on my hard drive. Anyone else getting this?

If it makes a difference, I recently reset my linked accounts and set one back up on a new PS3 model. But these are the only two games this seems to have affected. I wonder what gives.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
It's ancient news now, but man that loose grip in the HD SotC port really makes itself felt during time attack mode. I loved challenging myself with that poo poo in the PS2 original, especially on Hard Mode, because if you didn't want to execute perfection you had to buy yourself breathing room with daredevil stunts. Dropping wing-to-wing on the 5th is still one of the coolest gaming moments I've ever had.

With this control fuckery, though, it feels more like an exercise in battling someone's design botch than shaving off wasteful actions or pulling off some ballsy shortcut. Instead, to even stand a chance, I've had to have Wander flop around on a weakpoint like a yutz until the colossus's shaking pattern finally emerges and I can find my 10 second window to charge up a halfway damaging stab/try to stunlock the colossus as well as I can with moderate ones. This mandates doing everything else absolutely flawlessly and then having an ignominious shitshow of a finale where I play by the gimped controls' rules and spend 3 remaining minutes getting my four-ish potshots on an epileptic head. Colossi like the 3rd or 15th are so bad they're functionally impossible on skill alone if you ignore the 3rd's really tricky shortcuts (which the 15th doesn't even have). You need luck on having Wander find his footing short of the guaranteed sweet spots in each one's movement, which aren't enough to beat the time given. So optimal playing winds up being a dice roll. Kind of sucks the accomplishment out of things.

It's still as amazing an experience as it was the first time around and the HD still leaves me in disbelief that the game looks as good as it does for its time and native platform of release, but I used to find the gameplay perpetually rewarding too, and this nonsense really undercuts that in its uglier moments.

Violen fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 2, 2012

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

They released more info on the PS3 version of the Mass Effect Trilogy.
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/01/ryan-warden-an-update-on-the-mass-effect-trilogy/

Both the trilogy and Mass Effect 1 on PSN will be released on December 4th (December 7th in Europe), plus:

quote:

The PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect Trilogy will have the original Mass Effect with Bring Down the Sky integrated into the game, both on-disc and on the PSN download. Mass Effect 2 will still have the same DLC on-disc that it was originally shipped with: Cerberus Network; Kasumi; Overlord; and Lair of the Shadow Broker. Finally, Mass Effect 3 will also be exactly as it originally shipped.

Which means that the PS3 version gets the most DLC out of all of the versions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know if the Okami port has a Japanese language option? I doubt it, since it hasn't been released over there yet.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Protip: use jump-charged attacks.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tomtrek posted:

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/01/ryan-warden-an-update-on-the-mass-effect-trilogy/

Both the trilogy and Mass Effect 1 on PSN will be released on December 4th (December 7th in Europe), plus:

I don't get how this costs $60, when over the past weeks I have seen Mass Effect 2 for $10, Mass Effect 3 for $20 ($10 from Gamefly), and surely Mass Effect 1 is $10 or less.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

I don't get how this costs $60, when over the past weeks I have seen Mass Effect 2 for $10, Mass Effect 3 for $20 ($10 from Gamefly), and surely Mass Effect 1 is $10 or less.

Well, that's also something like $25 of DLC too.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Krad posted:

Protip: use jump-charged attacks.

Yeah that's real loving viable on a guy whose head is stuck in quantum entanglement.

Please don't respond by linking me all the videos with people showing that's real loving viable and looking good doing it, or I'll probably cry about how awful I actually am at this game.

Seriously, though, I put these two bad boys side by side to prove to myself I wasn't nuts, and there's a very marked difference in Wander's grip between them. It doesn't ruin the game or anything stupid like that, but it doesn't make sense to me either.

Think the 60 fps has something to do with it? It never really felt like an intentional change, and the grapevine tells me the EU version has the same differences the US one does between them and the HD collection version. Not that I'd know that one personally.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Well, that's also something like $25 of DLC too.
ME2 comes with all the DLC in the disc version. Buying from Gamefly would get you the code. ME3 doesn't come with the From Ashes DLC, so you'd need to buy that separately ($10), and Bringing Down the Sky was only ever like $5.

Assuming ME1 is around $15, it would be better for you to buy them separately unless you wanted special packaging.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

You saw Mass Effect 1 for the PS3? :v:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's coming in the new collection, and I think it's on PSN. Get with the times man.

e: way to ignore the entirety of the prior discussion, derp

Mephesto Zieg
Jan 4, 2008
I'm too tired to be funny right now

Zaa Boogie posted:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

So, I know this is a rumor and all. But I just wanted to post about this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/01/rumor-power-up-rewards-deals-on-sony-ps3-collections-nov-1-14/

Sorry to bring this back up a page late, if you use the code "Sony50" online it works without having to get the coupon on your rewards page. If you buy one of the games that is normally $25 or more use the "SAVER" coupon code to get free shipping as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How is Journey for $15 a big discount? That Ico/Shadow deal is a steal though.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

How is Journey for $15 a big discount?

It comes with Flow and Flower, which are still $10 each on PSN.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Has anyone tried using the code on multiple collections in one purchase, or is it only good for one overall?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyone know if the Okami port has a Japanese language option? I doubt it, since it hasn't been released over there yet.

I have to head off to work soon but I can check for you when I get back if nobody has.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wasn't looking for it, but I don't remember seeing a language option.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tomtrek posted:

Kind of weird they didn't add Arrival for ME2. It seemed important (although I didn't care for it much).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

AltronHGX posted:

Kind of weird they didn't add Arrival for ME2. It seemed important (although I didn't care for it much).

They're literally just releasing the versions you'd be getting if you bought them individually. ME2 didn't come with The Arrival because it came out after the PS3 release. I do agree that outside of one fantastic optional fight, it was the weakest of the DLC though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

axleblaze posted:

They're literally just releasing the versions you'd be getting if you bought them individually. ME2 didn't come with The Arrival because it came out after the PS3 release. I do agree that outside of one fantastic optional fight, it was the weakest of the DLC though.

I played it and I don't even remember there being a boss, just a pseudo-tower defense section. Is that what you're referring to?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

I played it and I don't even remember there being a boss, just a pseudo-tower defense section. Is that what you're referring to?

I wasn't referring to a boss. There's one really hard fight where you fight multiple waves of enemies alone in a room where enemies can get at you from all sides. If you die during it the game goes on but it is possible to win it. Trying to win it is really fun.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did anyone actually pick up the Zone of the Enders HD Collection? I'd like to hear some reasonable feedback one way or the other. People are bitching about it all over the place, but the consensus seems to be that it's not as bad as the Silent Hill HD Collection but still isn't great. However, people on other forums just keep either screaming for blood and posting youtube videos, or trying to justify their purchase by saying it's not THAT bad.

Basically, if it runs at least as well as the PS2 versions while looking better, I'm okay with it just because I don't have an SD TV anymore.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RichterIX posted:

Did anyone actually pick up the Zone of the Enders HD Collection? I'd like to hear some reasonable feedback one way or the other. People are bitching about it all over the place, but the consensus seems to be that it's not as bad as the Silent Hill HD Collection but still isn't great. However, people on other forums just keep either screaming for blood and posting youtube videos, or trying to justify their purchase by saying it's not THAT bad.

Basically, if it runs at least as well as the PS2 versions while looking better, I'm okay with it just because I don't have an SD TV anymore.

The extras it comes with are why alot of people got the deluxe version. Those are worth it just for the 60 dollar price tag alone. The game has run fine on my 60 inch screen through the HDMI port.

What alot of people seem to be doing is comparing it to the MGS collection. The MGS set was really one of the best HD re-releases. However ZOE doesn't really have the same level of content as MGS, that and not alot of stuff really needed changing. The games weren't like Virtua-On or the earlier Armored Core games where there was alot of stuff that didn't age well visualy. It's just the first ZOE game is really really short nomatter how you cut it and they should have maybe added stuff but didn't. There's also some issues with trophies, but nothing that can't be patched in.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 2, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Well, it doesn't. It runs worse than the PS2 version. You should probably look at those YouTube videos that people have been posting because that's why they've been posting them.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
People keep pointing to the video at the top of this page: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/6703662.html

I don't know if it's accurate (it's a little irrelevant for Americans since we never got the ZoE2 Special Edition) but if it is, I don't really see the point in buying a worse version of a game I already have.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RichterIX posted:

I bitched hard about it last page. ZOE1 ran okay (I don't think the original ran 60fps), it only had some slowdown when the big blurry effects happened- getting hit by a very damaging attack, background poo poo getting blown up, etx.

ZOE2 is a mess (please take my opinion with a grain of salt because ZOE2 is literally my favorite game). It doesn't run nearly as well as it did on the ps2 at all and I find it to be quite choppy and inconsistent. I haven't gone back to it since completing the prologue, but there are portions of the introductory sequence which place in small indoor sections aboard a ship and even those were a little choppy. Someone else mentioned how the loving training level if choppy and it's just a big featureless room so I don't expect it to get any better :smith:

Word is it runs slightly better on xbox...which I had the option of playing it on but wanted to relive the feeling of the ps2 controller so I got double burned. There's more poo poo that bugs me but I'll spare the thread since I'm probably just the only crazy person that noticed them :)

I'll get a chance to play it to completion this weekend- I'm really curious how the air battleship/mars war levels run cause those sons of bitches nearly made smoke start pouring out of the ps2 back in the day :)

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 2, 2012

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

AltronHGX posted:

ZOE2 is a mess...

Thanks for the hands-on info. Remember when Konami didn't gently caress everything non-Metal Gear up?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You know, I'm being pretty harsh on it so I'll add one more thing- My complaints about the performance are based on the expectation that the HD version would run at a solid 60fps, just like the original did.

I think Bayonetta, Ninja Gaidan, ZOE2 and some others completely spoiled my performance demands so there's really a good chance what bothers the poo poo out of me may not matter to you at all :kiddo:

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

AltronHGX posted:

You know, I'm being pretty harsh on it so I'll add one more thing- My complaints about the performance are based on the expectation that the HD version would run at a solid 60fps, just like the original did.

I think Bayonetta, Ninja Gaidan, ZOE2 and some others completely spoiled my performance demands so there's really a good chance what bothers the poo poo out of me may not matter to you at all :kiddo:

I'll wait on the ps4's ultraHD rererelease.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

I wasn't looking for it, but I don't remember seeing a language option.
Well, the question is, if you change the PS3's system language to Japanese, does the game follow it. It's never a documented feature so the only way to find out is to try it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AltronHGX posted:

I love ZoE2 and agree with most of your complaints but you're kidding if you think it ran at solid 60FPS. It dropped constantly. Part of the reason I wanted an HD release is to avoid the slowdown that plagued the PS2 release during a lot of busy segments. ZoE2 is one of my favorite games and I just wanted a version that wasn't obviously taxing the hardware to the breaking point. :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I love ZoE2 and agree with most of your complaints but you're kidding if you think it ran at solid 60FPS. It dropped constantly. Part of the reason I wanted an HD release is to avoid the slowdown that plagued the PS2 release during a lot of busy segments. ZoE2 is one of my favorite games and I just wanted a version that wasn't obviously taxing the hardware to the breaking point. :smith:

I know what you mean, but I seem to recall the game slowing down and not skipping frames, ever.

poo poo honestly, except for the big mars battle, I remember the slowdown being kind of cool. Remember that boss where when you strike it down to 50% and 75% HP parts of its body explode and slow it way down? It gave it a more cinematic feel to me. I love this loving game, ignore me.

Of course, getting rid of it and, you know, designing a game that ran rock solid the way the original was intended to be would have been stellar... I'm really disappointed we waited an extra year for it longer than the MGS HD ports and this is the best they could do.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 2, 2012

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
To eveyone talking about ZoE: does anyone know if the game was ever widely released in the UK? I remember I had a demo of the first game years ago (it was something like half an hour long, which really impressed me at the time) and thought it was brilliant fun. The only reason I never bought it was because I literally never saw it in any shop, ever. Was I just being an idiot (I guess I was pretty young at the time), or was the game in limited supply here or something?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

IIRC neither game was advertised very much- the reason most people knew what ZOE1 was it because it was packaged with a demo for Metal Gear Solid 2- this was early 2001 I believe.

ZOE2 was released in early 2003 to critical acclaim but I don't think it sold very well since people just didn't know what it was- very poor advertising as well. I believe about a year or so later UK got a Special Edition release with a bunch of extras that us yanks never got.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They should have called it Anubis: ZOE like they did in Japan. Everyone likes Anubis, right?

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Nice, I'm liking the new store!

One question - if you pre order something, can you download it and have it unlock like in the European store or have I been misinformed on downloading a pre order before it launches?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow yeah, the new store looks like it..wasn't designed ten years ago anymore. Only the US store, the Japanese one is still the old format. However the Japanese store was always laid out better (I think) so maybe it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Might as well add.

A friend of mine contacted Konami's tech support about ZoEHD and got back a message saying they're working on a patch for the issues. I donno if that'll actually happen but it's at least something.

• Locked thread