Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm using a base 13" MBA as my main computer right now and it works perfectly fine for what I do (frontend developing so mostly text editors and Photoshop/Illustrator). The only thing I need to do is buy a HDMI or DVI adapter for my screen and I'll be set until it breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Sounds like mimicing the fusion drives will not be an issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1480179

quote:

Mac developer Patrick Stein has been toying with his own Mac Pro setup and has managed to build his own Fusion Drive using command line tools. Stein configured an internal solid-state drive and a USB-attached traditional hard drive on his system and was able to combine them into a single logical volume as used for Fusion Drive.

In several follow-up Tumblr posts, Stein details further explorations into how Fusion Drive works, noting that he was able to use not only the default HFS+ file system for OS X with it, but also ZFS. All of Stein's work was performed with a standard installation of OS X 10.8.2.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jon93 posted:

Ultrabook? That's last year's poo poo, MEGAbooks are the new craze. Instead of rubber feet it just sits on a forklift (forklift sold separately).

Yeah, I'd tell you to go with the Air too- look at the last few pages(?- I'm on my phone and can't tell) of posts to see the reasons Kenny Loggins and I gave someone else with a similar enough question.

To reiterate Loggins' last point, the rMBP is just way too new for me to really recommend it. I'm sure it's fine and Apple have given it their stamp of approval- but after seeing Anandtech's conclusion that the display in the 15" one taxes its discrete GPU too heavily in mundane tasks to allow you to push it very hard graphically I simply don't trust running the 13" one with just the Intel HD4000, however adequate it may be for most things. At least give the rMBP another year to mature- it'll likely be much better when Haswell drops.

And if you're willing to spend rMBP money on a 13" laptop, then you might as well max out an Air- or save your money instead.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And if you're willing to spend rMBP money on a 13" laptop, then you might as well max out an Air- or save your money instead.

But don't max specs just because it's within your budget-- if you don't need them save the money. You generally only get 30-60% of the cost of the upgrade back in resale price.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jon93 posted:

I have a powerful desktop for all my heavy lifting already so the laptop would be for Game Development, typing poo poo, and web browsing youtube poo poo.

What is your Game Development workload (tools, types, os, targets)? The 15' rMBP is a true beast of a machine and might make more sense than either the other 2 options.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Stick100 posted:

What is your Game Development workload (tools, types, os, targets)? The 15' rMBP is a true beast of a machine and might make more sense than either the other 2 options.

Light 3D (Unity) and some 2D Flash work targeting iOS, Android, Mac and PC. I can do programmer asset generation on my desktop so running Max, Blender, or Maya isn't a requirement.

If the Air can handle a 3D Unity game plus the editor then I'm sure it'll do everything I need it to do. If anyone with experience working with Unity on MBAs could chime in that'd be awesome.

To me, the baseline MBA "13 and a Nexus 10 makes the most sense. I need a physical Android device to debug on anyways, I've already got an iPhone 5 for iOS targets. That makes more sense to me than spending the same amount of money on just a laptop with a pretty screen and only SLIGHTLY more power.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jon93 posted:

If anyone with experience working with Unity on MBAs could chime in that'd be awesome.

I did Unity on 2011 MBA and it worked well, minor programs would start in a couple seconds and I could iterate very quickly. Its instant on 2012 15 rMBP (built-in discrete video helps). 2012 MBA 13 will probably handle your workload with no issue.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jon93 posted:

That makes more sense to me than spending the same amount of money on just a laptop with a pretty screen and only SLIGHTLY more power.

I agree that I don't think the 13 rMBP really makes sense compared to the 13 MBA for nearly any workload.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What do you guys think about buying a refurbished Time Capsule? The proposition strikes me as a bit more worrisome than buying a refurbished computer.

Or am I just over-worrying?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shmoogy posted:

Sounds like mimicing the fusion drives will not be an issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1480179

Unless I'm missing something, he's just making a single LVM out of two drives? Where's the fancy caching going on?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Do we know anything about pricing for the 2012 iMac fusion drives? I really wish they'd allow one to customize them now, even if they aren't going to be available for a while.

With that in mind, do we know when in November the 21" will be available? I'm going to wait for the 27" anyway, but being able to play with the pricing on the 21.5" would be nice.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Unless I'm missing something, he's just making a single LVM out of two drives? Where's the fancy caching going on?

I think the OS is doing it automagically when it realizes that it has a LV spanning a SSD and a HDD.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Abel Wingnut posted:

What do you guys think about buying a refurbished Time Capsule? The proposition strikes me as a bit more worrisome than buying a refurbished computer.

Or am I just over-worrying?

I've been debating this as well...so you're not alone, and I can't make up my mind either.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
<nonsensical rant>
I tried to sell a 2011 13' MBA on Fulfillment by Amazon and it's been a continual cluster. They took 3 weeks to shelve the product (should take up to 3 business days), sold it and refunded it without direction, then I had to have customer support intervene to get it returned to me. This whole adventure has taken nearly 7 weeks and now it's returned to me broken and I owe them $10 for the privilege of breaking my computer.
</nonsensical rant>

(See picture)
But my question is, what is causing the issue in the attached computer. If I hook up an external monitor it displays correctly to the external monitor. However I had restored the computer to factory image and can't get the computer to mirror or setup without the main screen. I'm pretty sure I'm just barely out of apple care, if I have to fix this myself what is the next step?

I've asked Amazon for a refund but who knows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

One last thought - you can always buy an SSD (watch Slickdeals) for $120/256GB or $70/128GB, and then install it yourself (incredibly simple) and spend another $8 on a USB enclosure for the HD that you take out of your Mac. Then you've got a 320GB/500GB drive you can use for iTunes or movies or Time Machine backups

If you have a small iTunes library like I do, you can stick it on a 32GB ($20) or 64GB ($60) MicroSD to keep free space on the SSD.

Either way, check the refurb store before you buy a new model - you can often get a good memory and/or HD upgrade for basically free.

Somewhat related to this: Goons!
I know I asked the other week, but I want to be doublyyyy sure that I can do the following:
Put an SSD into my mid-2010 13inch MBP, specifically this one
http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5 or an intel 330 180GB
without having to get an adapter to make it fit (gently caress I forget the name of it), also would this enclosure work with my existing hard-drive (250GB 5400RPM standard-mac drive)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_286&products_id=18153
ALSO: I know this is a software issue but thought I'd ask anyway, when installing the new SSD, do I basically just hit command+R at bootup and boot from a bootable USB stick?
Sorry for all the questions, just getting my ducks in a row before I do this thang! :)
Thanks in advance goons I really appreciate the hand-holding!

Guni fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 1, 2012

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Quote =! edit

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
My experience after switching from a 2006 MacBook on its last legs to a 15" Retina MBP: :getin: :asoiaf: :rice: :pcgaming:

The screen totally is as gorgeous as you'd expect, and it feels great to be able to just click a button and make anything happen with no delay.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Guni posted:

Somewhat related to this: Goons!
I know I asked the other week, but I want to be doublyyyy sure that I can do the following:
Put an SSD into my mid-2010 13inch MBP, specifically this one
http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5 or an intel 330 180GB
without having to get an adapter to make it fit (gently caress I forget the name of it), also would this enclosure work with my existing hard-drive (250GB 5400RPM standard-mac drive)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_286&products_id=18153
ALSO: I know this is a software issue but thought I'd ask anyway, when installing the new SSD, do I basically just hit command+R at bootup and boot from a bootable USB stick?
Sorry for all the questions, just getting my ducks in a row before I do this thang! :)
Thanks in advance goons I really appreciate the hand-holding!

Those parts will work fine. You can re-install if you want, or just clone your existing install to the SSD using CarbonCopyCloner (download an older version since it's free) or SuperDuper

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Stick100 posted:

I've asked Amazon for a refund but who knows.

Well Amazon told me to pound sand does anyone know what is wrong or how I go about fixing it? It's just slightly out of the one year and I didn't buy applecare. Sometimes a real image will display in the bottom 1/3 of the screen and when I plug in an external monitor it works fine so the video card is still working. Did amazon break the connection between the video card and the screen or is the screen now bad?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If you truly are screwed, you should follow a guide for full disassembly. For fun.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Well Amazon told me to pound sand does anyone know what is wrong or how I go about fixing it? It's just slightly out of the one year and I didn't buy applecare. Sometimes a real image will display in the bottom 1/3 of the screen and when I plug in an external monitor it works fine so the video card is still working. Did amazon break the connection between the video card and the screen or is the screen now bad?

Was there insurance on the shipment?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stick100 posted:

It really looks like the LCD is busted, but you might get really lucky and just have it be a cable issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All you need is either a new LVDS cable or LCD screen.

Try getting a new cable first, it's cheaper.

jaspertron
May 31, 2002
So I just realized my 2012 13 inch Pro(non-retina) doesn't have audio in. Doesn't look like the retiana models have it either. What's the alternative here, my google fu is failing me and all I found was some people linking to a sketchy website from the 90's selling $300 pieces of hardware....

There must be an audio in to firewire converter or something that doesn't lose too much quality right?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

jaspertron posted:

So I just realized my 2012 13 inch Pro(non-retina) doesn't have audio in. Doesn't look like the retiana models have it either. What's the alternative here, my google fu is failing me and all I found was some people linking to a sketchy website from the 90's selling $300 pieces of hardware....

There must be an audio in to firewire converter or something that doesn't lose too much quality right?

I think Creative might make an X-Fi which will work for what you want to do. It's cheap, too (~$70).

X-FI HD

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Just what kind of audio in are you needing? Maybe this will work (and it's cheap - like, $7 cheap):

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

jaspertron posted:

How about those iPhone headset splitters? Audio pros might object but this should certainly be possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-01-PC35-PH35-Smartphone-Blackberry/dp/B002SK66OY/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

This might force you to use headphones though.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Why on earth does the 13" macbook air have a 1440x900 resolution, but the non-retina 13" MBP is still only 1280x800? Or are they still on the 2011 non-retina MBPs? I don't keep up with all these hardware revisions...

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

It really looks like the LCD is busted, but you might get really lucky and just have it be a cable issue.

Thanks for the assistance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

super fart shooter posted:

Why on earth does the 13" macbook air have a 1440x900 resolution, but the non-retina 13" MBP is still only 1280x800? Or are they still on the 2011 non-retina MBPs? I don't keep up with all these hardware revisions...

Same PPI as the 15" 1440x900 - people like big shiny poo poo I guess, at least at the low end.

You have to remember that half of America runs their 19" LCD's at 1024x768 so everything is 'big enough'

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

jaspertron posted:

Go in audio settings and see if you can configure it to be audio in. My understanding is that there is one jack that can be line-in or headphone-out, but not both at once.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

HolySwissCheese posted:

Go in audio settings and see if you can configure it to be audio in. My understanding is that there is one jack that can be line-in or headphone-out, but not both at once.

Option click the volume icon.

jaspertron
May 31, 2002

HolySwissCheese posted:

This is no longer the case with the 2012 line. They switched it from a dual input/output to just an output for some reason and didn't bother changing the specs on the site until very recently. New retina's don't have an in either which is just insane. Thanks for trying to help though!

To the recommendations above, thanks much. Both look great. I do a lot of screen recordings/screen sharing stuff for my clients, I've been using my windows desktop because I had a camtasia license but now that I've realized that quicktime can do a screen recording(Mac camtasia was horrible) I decided to start doing them on my mac. Only to find out my mic wouldn't plug in. Basically doesn't need to be audiophile quality in, just decent enough that my clients can hear me talk without wondering if I'm doing it from a car under an overpass...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well if you have an iPhone headset (maybe the older generic phone single button type too) that might be good enough, assuming they didn't take out that functionality as well.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
That's why I suggested that adapter splitter thing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
USB mics will work too.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Revisiting the pixel walk problems I was whining about in this thread a while back: I installed Windows 7, and out of curiosity brought up the same test patterns that were causing me grief in OS X, and this time, the flicker is drat near imperceptible. Does this indicate it's a driver issue? I am not in the least bit versed in the technical side of graphics stuff (and I'm not seeking a solution since I can deal with it), but if there is an explanation for this discrepancy I'd be very happy to hear it. :)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
It may be that OS X is has temporal dithering enabled, and that in Windows it isn't.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I MacBook Air (2012) froze today while watching the CBS College Football Stream. I thought it was just an overheating problem (fans were on full blast.. flash player) so I manually shut it off. Now when I reboot, I get a grey screen with a blinking folder.

I try to use disk utility to repair the disk but the SSD does not show up in disk utility. I can't reformat because of this.

Does this mean its a faulty SSD drive? I scheduled an apple appointment, but I'm wondering if a anyone experienced a faulty drive in a MacBook Air before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 18, 2019