Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So far, marines win 48.8% of matches.

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/11/post_launch_post_mortem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Let's all do everyone else in this thread a favor and shut the gently caress up about bunnyhopping for good. I apologize for my part in this. Can someone actually edit the op to make it a thread rule? Nothing good ever comes of it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

quaunaut posted:

Are people just not aware of the Skulk wallhopping? Sure, you won't get as fast as a good bhop spree back in the day, but honestly I'm okay with that. Getting a good run down with wallhopping is hard anyway.

Probably not. It's not explained in any tips (I believe) or exposed in recent videos, and with the removal of the sound effect it makes it tougher to organically discover it as well.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Does anyone remember the old horrible community songs that were played on NSradio circa 2004?

Well, here's a pack of 13 of them, all equally wonderful in their terribleness.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tunzyk2u8o1vnnb/Natural_Selection.rar (34MB)

I wonder how fast this will max out my dropbox bandwidth.

Boondock Marines isn't my favorite, but at least there's associated youtube: http://youtu.be/F4AC1C0X0Nk

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry if this is a little broad or whatever but is this game any good? I liked the original, not sure if I care if this plays anything like it(or if I could even tell the difference since it's been so long), I just want some honest testimonials. Is it something people will probably be playing in a few months?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a successful synthesis of shooting, strategy, and total clusterfuck. It might be even better than TF2.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 1, 2012

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm sorry if this is a little broad or whatever but is this game any good? I liked the original, not sure if I care if this plays anything like it(or if I could even tell the difference since it's been so long), I just want some honest testimonials. Is it something people will probably be playing in a few months?

I've put 70 hours into the beta. It's good fun. Sure things changed but fun times can be had.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So having played the original for years, im debating buying the game for one reason...

my computer is kinda old and lovely. I meet the minimum specs, but im concerned im going to have to make the game look like the hl1 mod in the graphics settings before it runs above 30 fps.

Anyone have some performance stories they can tell me with non super computer rigs?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That makes me more inclined to pull the trigger on it. The quick look on giant bomb made it look cool as well. Is being a gorge still chill as gently caress?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gorging can go two ways

1. Chill out and heal folks and build some structures
2. Insane onos rush healing support

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Obiter dictum posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that bunnyhopping is, and has been, the most contentious issue within the NS community ever since the first game was released.

Don't worry, we can tell.

Also I don't get it, if most of the competitive community wants bunny hopping you guys could just use this Natural Selection 1 Movement Mod. Otherwise yeah, don't really care to hear about it every week. I just didn't see this mod mentioned and it seems like a pretty obvious solution.

edit: Gorges are pretty chill, although I think hydras could use a small buff still at 3 res per. Would also love to see more structures built by them, they mentioned in the last Dev QA that's one thing they'd really like to add. I really miss the Gorge web, fortunately belly slides makes up for some of that.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 1, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That makes me more inclined to pull the trigger on it. The quick look on giant bomb made it look cool as well. Is being a gorge still chill as gently caress?

Being a fatty is pretty chill. But the best gorges also stir up poo poo, bile bombing from vents, charging in with onos's to heal.

Even in the early game, a gorge running with a pack of skulks is deadly, the skulks simply will not die.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Brackhar posted:

Probably not. It's not explained in any tips (I believe) or exposed in recent videos, and with the removal of the sound effect it makes it tougher to organically discover it as well.

I'm pretty sure I saw a walljump tooltip. I might be hallucinating, though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Double Monocle posted:

So having played the original for years, im debating buying the game for one reason...

my computer is kinda old and lovely. I meet the minimum specs, but im concerned im going to have to make the game look like the hl1 mod in the graphics settings before it runs above 30 fps.

Anyone have some performance stories they can tell me with non super computer rigs?

It heavily depends on what resolution you play it. 1280x720 might be ok on an old pc, I know some dude earlier in the thread talked about how he played on an old dual core pc at 20-40 fps.

I would probably wait though. Good news is that within the last month the performance in the game probably tripled, so hopefully they can manage to work on it a bit more. The devs also said they are currently only working on performance issues. Check back in a month and see what is up.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 1, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

whiskas posted:

Being a fatty is pretty chill. But the best gorges also stir up poo poo, bile bombing from vents, charging in with onos's to heal.

Even in the early game, a gorge running with a pack of skulks is deadly, the skulks simply will not die.

Yeah, if you're any good with arcing projectile weapons like the pipe launcher in TF2, Gorge is lots of fun. I took down an exo suit by myself simply by staying out of LOS and arcing the bile bombs over obstacles. Healing your teammates on the side is just a bonus. With the regen upgrade you can be extremely difficult to kill.

Belly Slide 4 Lyfe

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Anything I should know in particular about Hydra placement? Didn't know they were ranged until I read in this thread since I didn't see or notice any shooting animations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

That Gobbo posted:

Anything I should know in particular about Hydra placement? Didn't know they were ranged until I read in this thread since I didn't see or notice any shooting animations.

I spread them out over the room so they can cover each other or put them all in a chokepoint where they can kill oncoming marines but I cannot be hit while healing them.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

That Gobbo posted:

Put them places people aren't likely to immediately look. I've had a lot of success basically treating them like the mini-sentry from TF2, placing them on a walls/ceilings behind where an enemy would look and attacking at the same time as they pass through the doorway. They will be so distracted trying to shoot at that loving gorge that most won't realize theres two hydras shooting them in the back right away.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Place hydras high up. They're very fragile, but also quite deadly, so you want the marines to notice them only because they're taking damage.

The ideal place is on ceilings, or above doorways, again you want to hide it outside the obvious line of sight, so that the marine will start getting hit by it before he even notices it.

The most common tactic is to let a marine into a room you've put hydras in, and start running around, baiting the marine to chase you, while he gets shot and eventually killed by your hydras.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Sudo Echo posted:

Yeah, if you're any good with arcing projectile weapons like the pipe launcher in TF2, Gorge is lots of fun. I took down an exo suit by myself simply by staying out of LOS and arcing the bile bombs over obstacles. Healing your teammates on the side is just a bonus. With the regen upgrade you can be extremely difficult to kill.

Belly Slide 4 Lyfe

You can heal yourself with your spray. In my opinion, almost no reason to take regen over carapace as a Gorge.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gorge with carapace can take a ton of damage. And since he's a bigger, slower target, marines will waste their bullets shooting a gorge while they get eaten by skulks.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Megaflare posted:

You can heal yourself with your spray. In my opinion, almost no reason to take regen over carapace as a Gorge.

I'm not sure how relevant to NS2, but basically if you are going bile-battle gorge and will be getting picked at by turrets. More energy for bile. But your assessment is correct, its only for very niche cases.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

With regards to hydras, it is very good advice to position them in high or partially-hidden locations -- ceilings and railings are perfect. They used to be much more robust structures that would die when not on infestation and disappear after the Gorge died, but now they can be built and survive off infestation and stay after Gorge death, but the tradeoff is they are extremely easy to kill.

In other news, the front page of http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/ has a pretty interesting postmortem of the launch. Good read. Interesting fact: at launch there were 7500 player slots, and if you were keeping track of Steam statistics at that time, you will remember that player counts were in the mid-6000s both on the 30th and the 31st. So for at least some period of time every server in the game was filled almost to capacity. That is pretty drat cool.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 1, 2012

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Game just crashed because I changed my mouse sensitivity, good stuff.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

maji posted:

I played the original back in the day, and it is quite tempting to try this one too. Is anyone interested in splitting a steam 4 pack? If I find 3 others, I will purchase and we can do paypal. I have done this on SA with torchlight II, and bioshock II.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a 4 pack if you or anyone else are still interested? Figured I'd be sticking with my same ol' games but I'm starting to hanker for something new, and this is winning out for how the chatter sounds vs. what else I've been looking at.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Okay I'm drawing the line on the skill based movement controversy as its the quickest way to run a thread into the ground. Shut up or take it to the official forums (where it'll get locked because its played out and tedious as gently caress).

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Double Monocle posted:

I will tell you that I have a pretty good computer but with an older video card and I do have to turn things low to get reasonable performance.

I guess it's almost time for me to get a new video card.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
If you open the console and type r_stats 1

You will get some tech stuff appear in the top left of your screen. Find the field that says "Waiting for GPU", if it's anything more than 0ms, then your GPU is the bottleneck.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

After playing the game myself for the past few months I finally got my wife to give it a go at release.

I am currently in the process of explaining to her that Marines do not count as "dinner" and it's important that she actually eat some hot food today.

Sudo Echo posted:

Put them places people aren't likely to immediately look. I've had a lot of success basically treating them like the mini-sentry from TF2, placing them on a walls/ceilings behind where an enemy would look and attacking at the same time as they pass through the doorway. They will be so distracted trying to shoot at that loving gorge that most won't realize theres two hydras shooting them in the back right away.
Stick your last one somewhere away from the others but out with line of sight to them, so when the marine does turn around to shoot at the hydras he'll have the third shooting him the back from gorge knows where.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 1, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Megaflare posted:

I'd go with Adrenaline first for a battle gorge. Being able to do all your awesome gorge-y stuff for longer is unbeatable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

I'd go with Adrenaline first for a battle gorge. Being able to do all your awesome gorge-y stuff for longer is unbeatable.
Well yeah, but Carapace and Regen are only being argued over because they're mutually exclusive. Adrenaline's an And.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My one complaint so far, I can't get my mic to work.

Works fine for skype, vent, ts, steam chat, every other game I've tried.. just not NS. Frustrating.

Obiter dictum
Sep 8, 2008
Edit: Waste of time.

Obiter dictum fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 2, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Arrath posted:

My one complaint so far, I can't get my mic to work.

Works fine for skype, vent, ts, steam chat, every other game I've tried.. just not NS. Frustrating.

I had to replace my mic (sort of unrelated to NS; The mic was broken on my headset, but I'd have given no shits if not for NS) and when I was troubleshooting, I noticed the lack of in-game voice tweaking. The... whatcha call it, the thing that gives you an idea of your mic volume would be nice.

edit: New mic works fine, Logitech Wireless H600

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'd love some random stats and figures if anybody finds any. Sales rates, dollar values, play rates, etc. Not for anything, I just like vicariously basking in success.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Sudo Echo posted:

Belly Slide 4 Lyfe

Some tech points have vents or little nooks you can hide in where marines don't notice you (assuming the obs isn't too close). Get celerity and silence and race to that point then evolve into gorge/adren/cara (+feign death if it returns). Then slide the short distance to the marine base and just pour bile shots into the power node. At worst you'll trigger a beacon and relieve some pressure elsewhere. At best you'll catch the comm off-guard and stop the marines from spawning, having upgrades, or teleporting to base. Once the power is down, you can start to tear apart the marine base while trying to survive as long as possible against the vengeful marines + comm trying to kill you. If you have some skulk buddies nearby then, with some luck, you can pick off these defenders and possibly win the game.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'd love some random stats and figures if anybody finds any. Sales rates, dollar values, play rates, etc. Not for anything, I just like vicariously basking in success.

NS2 was the top seller on Steam the 30th and 31st, just dropped that position this morning. It's been selling between 400-500 copies an hour at $24.99 for the past two days. It's been in the top 15 played games on Steam for the past few days.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ <-- Click here for Steam "top played" daily stats to see for yourself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Here are some win/loss rates.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
This is actually a lot more fun than I thought. Now the only problem is pubbie communication.

We need to get some goon servers running.

Edit: Also for some reason it keeps unbinding CapsLock, which is really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guesticles posted:

I had to replace my mic (sort of unrelated to NS; The mic was broken on my headset, but I'd have given no shits if not for NS) and when I was troubleshooting, I noticed the lack of in-game voice tweaking. The... whatcha call it, the thing that gives you an idea of your mic volume would be nice.

edit: New mic works fine, Logitech Wireless H600

Yeah the utter lack of in-game mic configuring is kinda annoying.

This is a 2 month old mic, too :(

E: got it working! :toot:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 2, 2012

• Locked thread