Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

WeaponBoy posted:

Also, there's an assassin's den objective to win 3 base defenses, so do that before you lock master assassin's into each den because once you've done that the bases never get attacked again.
Actually, that automatically gets unlocked when you lock down all the dens. You don't have to do any den defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pryce posted:

Okay, so I finally finished AC:Brotherhood last night and will be working my way through Assassin's Creed: Revelations before I move onto AC3. Anyone got suggestions to share? I'm not looking to 100% the game, just get through the story, but if there are any side missions that'll make that process easier, I'd be much obliged.

When you get to bomb-making, you want smoke bombs (the break-on-impact shells, large area), Datura Bombs (ditto) and the noise-maker bombs (can't remember the name, but same; impact shells and large area powder). These three will see you through the entire game.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Mediterranean Defense metagame is entirely pointless, except for the lone achievement.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you get to bomb-making, you want smoke bombs (the break-on-impact shells, large area), Datura Bombs (ditto) and the noise-maker bombs (can't remember the name, but same; impact shells and large area powder). These three will see you through the entire game.

You do NOT need to go back to a bomb station to refill your bombs. You can make them out and about, so long as you make the same type you had.

The first person missions are pure story, dumb platforming, and kinda lovely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kruller posted:

You do NOT need to go back to a bomb station to refill your bombs. You can make them out and about, so long as you make the same type you had.

The first person missions are pure story, dumb platforming, and kinda lovely.

The story itself is alright in of itself, but The Lost Archive DLC puts the first-person puzzles to much better use in something that's actually fun. (Get the Platinum or Ottoman Edition if you can, they have most of the DLC tossed in.)

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Just got Dead Space 2. Any good armor/weapon tips?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The plasma cutter still owns.

The Javelin Launcher is pretty cool. It can be used to impale enemies against walls (so can the arms you rip off of them :black101:), and the secondary fire electrifies the javelins you've already thrown. I'm not sure how much damage the alt fire does, but it has good stopping power.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

upperthorax posted:

The trip mines are very, very good for the few areas in the game where it is blatantly obvious that YOU SHOULD USE MINES, but they're by no means essential.

The pulse rifle might be the most boring weapon (in comparison to the rest, anyway) but it is very very handy at medium and long ranges. Plus, its alt fire isn't useless this time around!

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Thanks for the info, guys. I remember the plasma cutter being the go-to weapon in DS1. I never used the plasma rifle in 1 so I'll give it a go. The grenade secondary fire sounds way better than that alt fire, 360 degree spray from 1.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Lollipop Chainsaw

Thanks for the tips!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

upperthorax posted:

Always keep the Plasma Cutter on you. It never stops being useful and ammo is plentiful for it. The Assault Rifle has a new secondary fire instead of the rotating barrels it had in the first game; It now fires grenades. The Force Gun also got a bit of an upgrade and is now a great close-quarters weapon in tight spaces.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Some guy just offered to buy the wiki for $300. I have no idea if he's a goon.

I never thought I'd have a chance to sell out in my life.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on my Vita, first playthrough believe it or not. Any gameplay tips for Materia, etc? I know not to level Aeris but I still do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on my Vita, first playthrough believe it or not. Any gameplay tips for Materia, etc? I know not to level Aeris but I still do.

Enemy Skill materia is godlike, if you plan to breeze through the game learn how to get at least 3 of the 4 of them that are in the game. Additionally, look up where you can get the skills white wind and big guard.

The most important thing I can recommend is if you don't know the plot (i.e. only know if it through internet hearsay) you need to know that you are playing a game with unreliable narrators. Most of the people who think FFVII has a confusing plot/story do so because they don't grasp this and think the story just changes on them arbitrarily.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bolverkur posted:

Get the Choco\Mog Materia from the Chocobo Ranch (Talk to the chocobo by the left fence). It never stops being useful. When you get the first E.Skill and Manipulate Materia through story events, start going back to earlier areas and using Manipulate on creatures to get their buff spells. You specifically want Big Guard (Magic Barrier, Physical Barrier AND Haste, party-wide. The shoreline hermit crabs near where you'll get Manipulate have this) and White Wind (Group-heal for the caster's current health. The big green birds around the second open area use it. You'll know them when you see them). Oh, E.Skill Materia works by learning skills when they're cast on the wearer. You can't transfer skills between E.Skill Materia by casting on each other, you have to get a enemy to do it.

All this takes place in areas right after leaving Midgar, but I've kept it vague just because I've no idea where you actually are at or what you know of FFVII's plot and locations.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 31, 2012

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Centipeed posted:

A three hundred dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool? A three thousand dollars.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

When you get to Shinra HQ, take the stairs. It's absolutely worth it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Centipeed posted:

Please don't. If you have to put up ads to support the site, cool, that's fine. But I do not want to see what happens when the site's bought by someone trying to turn a profit.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

upperthorax posted:

Dead Space 2
  • If you played Dead Space 1, then you should already know the Plasma Cutter is the most versatile item in your armory. This has not changed at all, so keep it on hand at all times. This extends to most of the returning weapory: If you remember it being useful, it probably still is.
  • The Pack (you'll know them when you see them) are relatively fragile on standard difficulties, and should be taken care of with ammo-conserving weapons like the Force Gun or the Flamethrower whenever possible, as they'll generally drop in one or two shots.
  • The Flamethrower has gotten better but still relatively sucks. You should probably avoid it. The Seeker Rifle has managed to take its place in the uselessness department, being a glorified sniper rifle. As long as you avoid these two weapons, it shouldn't matter what else you pick up.
  • Remember the only ammo that drops as a majority is for weapons you already own. You'll get some outliers but if you want to play a primary Plasma Cutter run you should probably eschew buying any other weapon.
  • Stick with the normal armors your first playthrough. You don't need to weigh much of the pros/cons and go "what armor effect is the best" unless you're trying to win on Arbitrarily Difficult Mode.
  • Never, ever underestimate your ability to use Kinesis to launch poles at enemies if you're low on ammo. It'll save your life at least once.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 31, 2012

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Centipeed posted:

WTF? Do it, then start work right away on beforeyouplay.com.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Colon V posted:

Please don't. If you have to put up ads to support the site, cool, that's fine. But I do not want to see what happens when the site's bought by someone trying to turn a profit.

They'd probably insert those bullshit 'computer optimizer' downloads on every page, for one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My friend sold WoWWiki, it went downhill from there. Ad Words will probably get you more than $300 in a couple months, especially if the nav gets cleaned up a bit.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I asked the chap about his reasons for wanting to buy, and he assured me he wouldn't change much, just improve it.

I have no plans whatsoever to sell it, though. The information contained on the wiki is all yours - I just host it, and the hosting costs are ridiculously low since I get 200 visitors a day.

I don't really feel as if I can sell what isn't mine, regardless. It wouldn't be as full of information or as regularly visited if it weren't for this thread.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gynovore posted:

WTF? Do it, then start work right away on beforeyouplay.com.
Yes, because obviously he never thought to try to name the page that!!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Centipeed posted:

I asked the chap about his reasons for wanting to buy, and he assured me he wouldn't change much, just improve it.
That's a red flag if I've ever heard one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Centipeed posted:

It's a wiki, improve away!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

McCoy Pauley posted:

Building off of the Borderlands 2 advice above, anything to keep in mind as I start in on True Vault Hunter mode? I finished the first playthrough at about level 33, without much trouble. I just beat Boom Bewm in TVH, and that mode is kicking my rear end. Playing as Axton, to the extent it makes a difference.

About 2/3rds of the way through the game you get two quests from the sheriff in Sanctuary - the first will be as he's standing in front of four mostly-identical dudes.

Do not do (or even accept) these quests until you've finished PL2 and hit level 50 to unlock PL2.5; where everything is scaled up to 50. That quest and the one after it give a gun with a shield with unique melee-enhancement bonuses which are invaluable to melee-focus characters. If you even accept them early, the rewards won't be level 50.

No other quest really offers any especially valuable/irreplacable loot so do whatever you want with them.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

President Ark posted:

About 2/3rds of the way through the game you get two quests from the sheriff in Sanctuary - the first will be as he's standing in front of four mostly-identical dudes.

Do not do (or even accept) these quests until you've finished PL2 and hit level 50 to unlock PL2.5; where everything is scaled up to 50. That quest and the one after it give a gun with a shield with unique melee-enhancement bonuses which are invaluable to melee-focus characters. If you even accept them early, the rewards won't be level 50.

No other quest really offers any especially valuable/irreplacable loot so do whatever you want with them.

There are a couple addendums I need to make, to make this advice general:

1) Only the first quest is actually given by the sheriff, and shows up around the 1/3 point of the game. The second is from one of four people in a Mexican standoff near the entrance to the city, and doesn't appear until later.

2) There's no reason not to do those quests in the first playthrough.

3) Only the reward from the second quest is actually unique to that quest. The reward from the first can also be dropped by a certain miniboss, so it's only kind of annoying if you accept the first quest early.

4) Zero and Gaige are the only two characters with any melee specialization to speak of, so pay this whole thing absolutely no mind if you're not one of them or if you think it would be stupid to specialize for melee attacks in a game about awesome guns.

5) On Playthrough 2, the second quest shows up at something like level 48 anyway. A level 48 version of the reward is totally usable at 50, as long as you're okay with being the slightest bit unoptimized.

5) If you're on the PC and don't mind bending the rules a little, it's relatively easy to permanently alter the level of items. Normally I wouldn't condone that behavior, but in the case of an neat, one-time only item like Order, it would hardly be a terrible thing to shift a few bits around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Playing Assassin's Creed III, and is there a good reason to hang on to the animal parts I've been getting from hunting, or am I ok to sell them all to merchants? I'm not too far in, just unlocked crafting, so I reckon they're used in recipes, but do I need them for anything vital? I'd rather just sell them than hoard them, and I don't care about powergaming or unlocking the most powerful equipment if it's going to be particularly tedious.

On a similar note, is there any general non-spoiler stuff I ought to know about crafting? Basic principles or particularly good recipes, that kind of thing? I'd ask these questions in the AC3 thread but I'm too paranoid about spoilers to go near it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

President Ark posted:

You can get at least the gun (not sure about the shield) as a drop from the Sheriff in Lynchwood. Also he can totally do them in his PL1, he just needs to remember not to do them in PL2 if he doesn't want to grind the Sheriff for it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
In Immortal Defense, does turning the difficulty down affect the story at all, or does it just lower your high score? I've heard many good things about the story, but I'm not so great at tower defense games.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Playing Assassin's Creed III, and is there a good reason to hang on to the animal parts I've been getting from hunting, or am I ok to sell them all to merchants? I'm not too far in, just unlocked crafting, so I reckon they're used in recipes, but do I need them for anything vital? I'd rather just sell them than hoard them, and I don't care about powergaming or unlocking the most powerful equipment if it's going to be particularly tedious.

On a similar note, is there any general non-spoiler stuff I ought to know about crafting? Basic principles or particularly good recipes, that kind of thing? I'd ask these questions in the AC3 thread but I'm too paranoid about spoilers to go near it.

There are some folks that will ask you for a laundry list of pelts and whatnot, so I'd keep some spares handy, but other than that, they're free money, so far as I can tell.

The AC3 thread is a squalid den of spoilers and misery, best stay away if you can't resist spoiler tags, and some early things are being talked about taglessly.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Darksiders 2?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dead Island doesn't seem to have a wiki entry. Does anyone have any starting tips?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Guns are purely a curiosity, using a pad with analog melee makes the game, be prepared for eastern bloc game design jankyness.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gunt McBadpost posted:

Dead Island doesn't seem to have a wiki entry. Does anyone have any starting tips?

Probably best to go with the black guy as a character because most of the weapons you end up using are blunt.

There are some less than stellar levels and for those I suggest grouping up with people just to make it more fun. As in if you see yourself going into a sewer see who is online.

Somewhere on your skill tree is the option to stomp on a zombies head to insta kill them. Zombies fall down a lot so go for that skill.

When you come across tough zombies its probably best to break their arms so they can't do much.

Play on an xpad or find that mod that lets you use analog on your mouse. The point of the game is swinging at enemies with clubs and knives and if you are just left clicking that isnt much fun. It also makes it easier to break and chop off arms.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Goofballs posted:

Probably best to go with the black guy as a character because most of the weapons you end up using are blunt.

There are some less than stellar levels and for those I suggest grouping up with people just to make it more fun. As in if you see yourself going into a sewer see who is online.

Somewhere on your skill tree is the option to stomp on a zombies head to insta kill them. Zombies fall down a lot so go for that skill.

When you come across tough zombies its probably best to break their arms so they can't do much.

Play on an xpad or find that mod that lets you use analog on your mouse. The point of the game is swinging at enemies with clubs and knives and if you are just left clicking that isnt much fun. It also makes it easier to break and chop off arms.

Actually any character besides Purna or whatever the gun chick is called is perfectly viable and fun, in different ways. Later in the game, once she's skilled up a bit, the blades chick becomes a maniacal jumping one shot machine and the throwing guy just tosses his entire inventory at enemies and they all die before getting anywhere near him. Plus, his combat skill tree makes him probably the most "all-rounder" of characters.

Just don't play Purna. Guns are not very frequent and not very useful either. I mean, late in the game their frequency gets higher but they're just not particularly great most of the time.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Its the beforeiplay thread not what's a good idea after I know what I'm doing

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Goofballs posted:

Its the beforeiplay thread not what's a good idea after I know what I'm doing

Well they're all still fun even at the start is what I'm saying (except Purna). All I'm saying is that you don't necessarily have to use blunt weapons for most of the game. Hell, on both the blades chick and the throwing guy, I only ever used blunt weapons for finishing off grounded zombies before getting the stomp and finishing off de-armed big guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This thread is also for general advice to keep in mind throughout the game, dude.