Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abelian Grape
Oct 14, 2012
The Troll King being Lowtax all along would be the best twist ever, and I sincerely hope that's where this is going.

Having said that, I don't think that's Lazerbot's intention, we're probably just going to see a cameo appearance (as a doomed troll perhaps). Nonetheless I'm stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Forktoss posted:

I just get really excited when I see Rob punching electricity, you know?

But yes, of course you're right in that there is an existing literary continuum in the same vein and I got a bit ahead of myself claiming that TGT is somehow utterly unique in this regard. To snub centuries' worth of literature in favour of a Sonic webcomic of all things was by no means my intention.

I suppose where I'm coming from is that it seems revolutionary (for want of a less pompous word) in its context. You're not expecting a guy called Lazerbot who does a webcomic called Tails Gets Trolled to have a keen deconstructionalist eye, and when it turns out he does you feel its effects more powerfully than you would when reading some more "respectable" form of fiction. I don't think I'm overselling it since I do think it has actual literary merit, but I don't mean to tread on Nick Hornby's toes when saying that. When I say it's a unique product of the Internet generation specifically, I mean as a warped reflection of our relationship towards popular culture, how it's distributed and how it develops through audience interaction.

Now, the literary merit I mentioned comes from Lazerbot again defying expectations. You called it outsider art, and that's an apt description since I can't really put it into an existing category. It's not strictly pastiche, since Lazerbot has no respect for the tropes he uses, he uses them in a seemingly "incorrect" and often ridiculous way; but it's not really parody either, since the tropes and the characters themselves are not the ones under ridicule: Lazerbot's Mario is not a twisted caricature of the actual Mario, it's so far-removed that it is completely Lazerbot's Mario - there is no subject for parody. Parody gets its humour from showing the absurd and ridiculous aspects of established tropes and characters, but Lazerbot molds all these characters completely anew and makes them push the story forward.

It's the literary version of a kid mashing his action figures together. Were I an actual scholar of literature I might be able to categorize it better, but I do think it's worthwhile and special in its own right, both as part of an existing literary continuum and as an oasis in the desert of lovely Sonic webcomics.

over thinking can be a weakness some times, thinking and thinking over and over about something that could be false, just merely something we all experience time to time, the power of over thinking, who here has over thought something? who here under thought something, thinking can be our straight but also our weakness, to determine if your mind is your friend or foe. its hard to say, let your impulse's get the best of us, or our paranoia do we follow our hunch that most likely is false or do we think of the odds that perhaps we are right and our paranoia isn't just our head messing with us, the thing is do we know the difference? you could of caught on to something or your paranoia is getting the best of you and you need to learn to trust better, is it jealousy is also related to this as well, maybe the jealousy is the reason your paranoid, or you just afraid of the what ifs, hmmm its hard to say all i know is paranoia is not your friend, proof is, if you have proof then its fine, but its a false assumption and you brought it up then you just look like a paranoid rear end hole, if you are right and you have no proof/ the other person could make you sound like a paranoid rear end hole, paranoid is a weakness, don't let it consume you or it will end badly, trust is the key, thank you guys enjoy

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
I'm more than a little late to this party, but I loved this:

I JUST SCREAMED SO
HARD IT WENT OUT OF
MY SPEECH BUBBLE

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Butthole Milk posted:

The musical version of that book is amazing.
Just saying.

Here's some music to go with that statement.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Hey, Febreeze is one of the winners of the fan art contest.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Georgia Peach posted:

Hey, Febreeze is one of the winners of the fan art contest.

Yeah, Febreeze won, along with a guy who drew this

quote:

Due to having two winners they both will have one of their OC's in the comic, thank you very much for creating and submitting fanart, for the ones who won has to submit and link me whatever OC they want in the comic, and send me a note on DA or FB (or any other method) debating on that OC's (reasonable) abilities, personalities, catch phases, or if you want him/her/it to be a troll or a good guy, (please note that the characters you submit could be killed off at any given moment for no given reason, and can be used in whatever way i seem fit to the storyline and may not appear in the comic for some time) thank you again
Catchphrases, guys.
We have to make this count.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

horriblePencilist posted:

Yeah, Febreeze won, along with a guy who drew this

Catchphrases, guys.
We have to make this count.

Can they just be in awful broken English?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Febreeze, you won and so it's your choice, but I know a lot of people would like to see lowtaz, the greedy jew troll make an appearance. Perhaps the special ability could be something to do with grenades. Catchphrase could be "the internet makes you stupid".

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

simplefish posted:

Febreeze, you won and so it's your choice, but I know a lot of people would like to see lowtaz, the greedy jew troll make an appearance. Perhaps the special ability could be something to do with grenades. Catchphrase could be "the internet makes you stupid".

I just want to reinforce this. I don't care if you want to do something else but I would be ecstatic to see Lowtaz.

Didn't Lazerbot call SA "Some thing aweful" or something when this thread started?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
If he's planning on doing Lowtax (or whatever ED says he's called), why not another SA mainstay? Fragmaster, perhaps?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Please don't do this. SA injokes like this physically make me nauseous, as they should any right thinking person.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's a little late for that with TGT

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Please don't do this. SA injokes like this physically make me nauseous, as they should any right thinking person.

Seconding this. I like SA, but not that much.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I'm not sure we should encourage the actual illustration of a "greedy jew troll" character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope Febreeze whips out something as ingenious as the hitler's dickthrone line for the catchphrase but leaves us in the dark about it, so that we can be pleasantly blindsided by it when it pops up in the comic.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If you must have some kind of SA related joke, have it be something that anyone who had no idea what SA is would understand. For example, if you wanted "gently caress you and die" as a catchphrase, that works both as a SA injoke and also in the comic about trolling. "You look like poo poo" works as a catch phrase, too, and doesn't require knowledge of the forums to work.

I'd be happier if it had absolutely nothing to do with SA at all though. Forums admins as characters? Seriously?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This thread hasn't so much "tapped on the glass" as much as "broken into the cage" already anyway.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ryaomon posted:

This thread hasn't so much "tapped on the glass" as much as "broken into the cage" already anyway.

Which is exactly why SA shouldn't be forced into the comic. Lazerbots ideas are better than some forced injoke.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I feel I should mention that I didn't mean it seriously. Just wanted all those things together in one post.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's just going to be Tim Tebow straight up.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Finally someone that talks sense.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
It's gotta be the physical manifestation of the paywall.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Redeadagain posted:

It's gotta be the physical manifestation of the paywall.

A big linebacker who basically prevents you from entering a room.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If it is "Lowtaz," he should be the Tasmanian Devil.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Johnny five aces?

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
I would honestly like to see either Johnny Five Aces or Get Out Frog make an appearance in the comic.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'd rather see what he(she?) managed to come up with without help. It's his victory, let him have his reward without intervention. He might be funnier.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Bloodly posted:

I'd rather see what he(she?) managed to come up with without help. It's his victory, let him have his reward without intervention. He might be funnier.

Seconding this, Febreeze won, let Febreeze decide.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

kidcoelacanth posted:

I actually debated that

Tell Lazerbot to make it a football player with no face and can throw footballs really hard with his lazer rocket arm. I don't care what side he's on. If he's just going to be a cameo OC who dies after one page, make it Tebow and kill him in glorious fashion.

I hope he kills my character after like one frame in glorious fashion. I also like how he called mine the "accurate" one despite the other dude sticking closer to the actual drawing.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 2, 2012

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's accuracy and then there's precision.

produce
Apr 1, 2008

ThatPazuzu posted:

I just want to reinforce this. I don't care if you want to do something else but I would be ecstatic to see Lowtaz.

Didn't Lazerbot call SA "Some thing aweful" or something when this thread started?

Wasn't it "somic awful"?

hasturhasturhastur
Jun 28, 2007

I play paintball three times a week, bro. I'm even one of those douchebags who brings in his own equipment.

Febreeze posted:

I actually debated that

Tell Lazerbot to make it a football player with no face and can throw footballs really hard with his lazer rocket arm. I don't care what side he's on. If he's just going to be a cameo OC who dies after one page, make it Tebow and kill him in glorious fashion.

I hope he kills my character after like one frame in glorious fashion. I also like how he called mine the "accurate" one despite the other dude sticking closer to the actual drawing.

Oh, you mean Johnny Maximum?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, it's a common enough concept for the "mashing your action figures together" kind of interpretation for the kid to have no idea what any of the characters in question actually are, or to care about their canon histories or personalities. I know that when I was a kid, my brother and I invented a whole universe starring various Battle Beasts, M.U.S.C.L.E. men, and G.I. Joe figures we'd scrounged up from random playgrounds and other kids' cast-off collections. We had no idea who or what any of them were supposed to be; we just made it all up.

Some of them, of course, we had some vague idea of what they were supposed to be like. We knew whether each of the Transformers was supposed to be an Autobot or a Decepticon, for example, and what they turned into. But as for personalities, they just grew organically, and totally independent of any canon source. Even if we'd known what they were like canonically, we didn't care—because it was funnier to make up our own interpretations. Physical capabilities and mechanics felt like natural constraints on the characters. Personalities didn't.

Really this whole thing dates at least as far back as the Bronte sisters, who as kids wrote tiny books detailing the histories and made-up nations of the toy soldiers they had. (And by "tiny" I mean "you need a magnifying glass to read them the type is so small".)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Really this whole thing dates at least as far back as the Bronte sisters, who as kids wrote tiny books detailing the histories and made-up nations of the toy soldiers they had. (And by "tiny" I mean "you need a magnifying glass to read them the type is so small".)

Me and my friends had something in common with the Bronte sisters, huh? I still remember using Lego knockoffs to create our Monster of The Week for Super Scientist Duo Wolverine and Sabretooth to fight. We had back stories for almost all toys we had (Lex Luthor is a wizard, Alien Queen and the Power Rangers monster were married, Jean Grey is our super hot psychic secretary etc).

He also drew comics where we were Diablo 2 characters, and his Necromancer use Pokeballs instead of corpses.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

quote:

Johnny Maximum is a brutal "killing machine". He plays football because of its violence, and he searches for victims in the World Heroes tournaments. In World Heroes Perfect, it was revealed that he has a wife and child.
That fits so well in TGT lore it's not even funny.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd have selected something totally insane like homestar runner

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

produce posted:

Wasn't it "somic awful"?

Yup. That's what I was thinking of, thank you.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, break his neck!

Ooh, a mystery! Wonder who this guy is.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

What is he googling :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Heck of a perspective on that laptop(?).