Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The lowest I can get my ATT bill to go is approximately $100. I don't use the phone, texting or data, nearly enough to justify $100 a month, but I do like my WP7 phone. I'd like to keep that extra number.

Basically I'm looking for a cheap carrier that will have WP8 phones. Was thinking Virgin or especially T Mobile but don't know if T Mobile will get a Windows 8 Phone.

T-mobile doesn't need to get a Windows 8 phone. You'll just need to buy an unlocked gsm phone and slide your sim in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The lowest I can get my ATT bill to go is approximately $100. I don't use the phone, texting or data, nearly enough to justify $100 a month, but I do like my WP7 phone. I'd like to keep that extra number.

Basically I'm looking for a cheap carrier that will have WP8 phones. Was thinking Virgin or especially T Mobile but don't know if T Mobile will get a Windows 8 Phone.

T Mobile will be getting several windows phone 8. If you use a bunch of minutes and have no reliance on data then the $30 prepaid 1500 minutes, 50mb no warning full cut off of data might work for you. If you use a bunch of data the $30 5 Gb of data 100 minutes plan is great. If you don't use any data at all, and few minutes then the straight 10 cents per minute prepaid is a good way to go. You can pay $100 (plus sales tax) per YEAR if you do the Pay as you Go plan (and use less than 1000 minutes in a year).

http://explore.t-mobile.com/htc-windows-phone-8

TMO will be getting several Win8 phones including the top of the line HTC 8X.

You can also use an GSM phone (including the upcoming Lumia 920) on Tmobile although you might have very slow data speeds if they don't have the right radios.

Look at the OP of the thread and ask more specific questions and I'll be happy to help.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 2, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

If you use a bunch of minutes then the $30 prepaid 1500 minutes, little data is great.

No, no it is not great. It's 50mb and then data is straight shut the hell off, no throttling or anything. One time my $30 5gig plan wasn't autorenewing, so I tried to manually renew it and accidentally selected the "other" $30 plan. I was streaming music while biking in the middle of nowhere when ten minutes in the music cut off, as well as all of my Google Maps functionality. I froze outside at midnight for an hour dealing with India to get it straightened out so I could find my way home.

If you need to use lots of minutes, you can use Straight Talk $45, or you could even consider the T-Mobile post-paid "bring your own device" plans or dig around for other MVNOs. But don't even think of trying that plan unless you're fine with your phone becoming a dumbphone a couple days in.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Due to the spotty coverage I was getting with the T-Mo plan at my house, I decided to order a SIM from straight talk on ATT. I get full bars on HSDPA everywhere in my house. Sucks to have to pay 45 rather than 30 per line, but still a HUGE savings over what I was paying through Sprint. Bill is still almost cut in half for the two phones.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone in Omaha, NE on Straight Talk AT&T? How is it?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

No, no it is not great. It's 50mb and then data is straight shut the hell off, no throttling or anything.

Yeah I could have worded that better, but the poster I was responding to gave effectively no information on his usage scenario so I was just trying to outline a couple TMO options before telling him to go read the OP. I'll go change my post.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I cache the map area, it'll use 3G instead of GPS?

Caching the map involves using a lot of bandwidth when it's convenient to save a smaller amount of bandwidth when it's not.

So at home on WiFi, you store the map for the area you drive around in, and it uses less 3g on the road.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
The offline caching in Google Maps is such a brilliant feature - I bought an O2 SIM with a 200MB data plan while I was in Germany, and between offline maps and shutting off background data I barely made a dent into my cap. I can virtually guarantee you that feature will be in iOS 7...once iOS Maps becomes worth using again. :v:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Stick100 posted:

Yeah I could have worded that better, but the poster I was responding to gave effectively no information on his usage scenario so I was just trying to outline a couple TMO options before telling him to go read the OP. I'll go change my post.

Thanks!

Any heavy lifting/browsing/Pandora is gonna happen on my iPhone for work.

Does the TMobile high data/low voice a contract free plan?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Thanks!

Any heavy lifting/browsing/Pandora is gonna happen on my iPhone for work.

Does the TMobile high data/low voice a contract free plan?

Yes, in the Prepaid plans thread we are generally talking about prepaid and therefore contract free plans unless noted.

From the OP. Note Nexus 4 will work on TMO and TMO is getting (will have 3G radios that work with their freq) several Win 8 devices.

T-Mobile

Unlike Sprint, T-Mobile isn’t too proud to put their own name on prepaid service on their network.

Phones:
T-Mobile sells some of their phones (generally mid- and low-range ones) in retail boxes which include a prepaid service activation kit. Of these, the current recommendation seems to be the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit (formerly Exhibit II) 4G ($180).
You can also use any unlocked (or T-Mobile locked) GSM phone which is compatible with T-Mobile’s frequencies. Note that this includes high-end Google Nexus Android devices such as the Nexus S (i9020T) and the Galaxy Nexus (Google is selling the GSM/HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus on the Play store for $349 w/ warranty:
https://play.google.com/store/devic...laxy_nexus_hspa)

Plans:
Monthly Price/Voice Minutes/Text Messages/Data Allowance
$30/100/Unlimited/Unlimited (throttled after 5GB)
$60/Unlimited/Unlimited/Unlimited (throttled after 2GB)
$70/Unlimited/Unlimited/Unlimited (throttled after 5GB)

How it works:
Either buy a T-Mobile packaged prepaid phone, or buy your phone from wherever and buy an activation kit ($1) from http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...-Activation-Kit, then when you receive it activate it online or over the phone.
You can arrange for automatic payments or buy refill cards anywhere prepaid refill cards are sold.

Summary:
$30/month for unlimited texts and 5GB data is an amazing deal for anybody who either has such poor social skills they have no friends to call (i.e. goons), or is so young they don’t even understand the concept of using a phone to talk instead of texting.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Forgot to mention in my last post that if anyone decides to purchase a SIM from straight talk + your 1st month 45 unlimited, the code SIMSAVE knocks the 10 dollar charge for the SIM off.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm going to be vacationing in San Francisco for a week next year and it would be really nice to have data for my unlocked Canadian iPhone 5 for navigating around the city etc. What are my best options? Bonus points if I can get a nano sim, and not have to bring a cutter with me.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm going to be vacationing in San Francisco for a week next year and it would be really nice to have data for my unlocked Canadian iPhone 5 for navigating around the city etc. What are my best options? Bonus points if I can get a nano sim, and not have to bring a cutter with me.

I'd wait for others but I think getting a Nano TMO sim then signing up for the $30 100 minute 5 GB plan probably makes sense. I don't see an easy way to order a Nano online. I'm guessing you could just walk into a TMo store, say you have an unlocked iPhone and you want to buy a Sim. Then get online and activate it. Maybe the TMobile thread would better answer that. Other options are the two straight talks, and red rocket.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Choicecut posted:

Forgot to mention in my last post that if anyone decides to purchase a SIM from straight talk + your 1st month 45 unlimited, the code SIMSAVE knocks the 10 dollar charge for the SIM off.

Nice. If I'm getting a Nexus 4 any reason I shouldn't use this and go ahead and order a SIM now?

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Red Warrior posted:

Nice. If I'm getting a Nexus 4 any reason I shouldn't use this and go ahead and order a SIM now?

IMO it sounds like that coupon only works with purchasing the actual service. So unless you're going to be using another phone with the service until you get your Nexus 4, wait maybe?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
With straight talk, usually when you buy a sim card + 30 days they send you a card with a redemption code.

That way the service can be started when you actually get the card. You should be able to buy it all now and just hold onto it until you're ready.

e: Just checked. If you put the promo code in during checkout you'll be all set.
You chose your SIM, chose the SIM + 1 month and then enter the promo code. Your total will update and they'll send you the SIM card and a time card to be redeemed whenever.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 5, 2012

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Stick100 posted:

I'd wait for others but I think getting a Nano TMO sim then signing up for the $30 100 minute 5 GB plan probably makes sense. I don't see an easy way to order a Nano online. I'm guessing you could just walk into a TMo store, say you have an unlocked iPhone and you want to buy a Sim. Then get online and activate it. Maybe the TMobile thread would better answer that. Other options are the two straight talks, and red rocket.

In my experience, you can't just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy a SIM/activation kit unless you want one of the more expensive plans. Yes, it's stupid.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good cheap (preferably free) GSM AT&T phone I can use for Straight Talk to test out their service for a month? It doesn't have to be Android or even a touchscreen but I'd prefer something that has internet access so I can test that as well. MMS is also preferred.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

In my experience, you can't just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy a SIM/activation kit unless you want one of the more expensive plans. Yes, it's stupid.

Ok then it looks like you'll have to order a Micro Sim and cut it then activate over the internet/phone.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know of a good cheap (preferably free) GSM AT&T phone I can use for Straight Talk to test out their service for a month? It doesn't have to be Android or even a touchscreen but I'd prefer something that has internet access so I can test that as well. MMS is also preferred.

I hate to sound silly, what you described is every single GSM phone that has 1900 MHz frequency made in the last 6 years.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I hate to sound silly, what you described is every single GSM phone that has 1900 MHz frequency made in the last 6 years.

I figured, I have never used a GSM phone though. I'm kinda new to it, really.

I'm not sure if I want to leave CDMA though because I'm not sure how good AT&T's service here is. I asked some Best Buy employee and he did his best to push me away from AT&T's prepaid stuff (Straight Talk included) because, according to him, it's bad coverage due to no roaming.

I don't really want to throw down $100 on a GSM phone that may or may not work though so I don't know a good one to try.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I figured, I have never used a GSM phone though. I'm kinda new to it, really.

I'm not sure if I want to leave CDMA though because I'm not sure how good AT&T's service here is. I asked some Best Buy employee and he did his best to push me away from AT&T's prepaid stuff (Straight Talk included) because, according to him, it's bad coverage due to no roaming.

I don't really want to throw down $100 on a GSM phone that may or may not work though so I don't know a good one to try.

Ask a coworker with AT&T if they have an old phone you can borrow for a couple days. Or just ask in this thread/the AT&T thread about your market. TMo prepaid has worked great for many in this thread. There are a couple who have used Straight Talk ATT and seem to only have issues if you use too much data but besides that like the service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Ask a coworker with AT&T if they have an old phone you can borrow for a couple days. Or just ask in this thread/the AT&T thread about your market. TMo prepaid has worked great for many in this thread. There are a couple who have used Straight Talk ATT and seem to only have issues if you use too much data but besides that like the service.

I'll probably check out the at&t thread here. T-Mobile doesn't really work in the Midwest so much.

Is it true that the service would be worse than postpaid Sprint just because of no roaming?

The data doesn't bother me too much, I only used 5mb of data yesterday and I was out for 5 hours.

From the 21st of October through yesterday, I've only used 13mb.

E: and since I'm here, anyone using straight talk at&t in Nebraska? Speifically in Omaha. How is it?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll probably check out the at&t thread here. T-Mobile doesn't really work in the Midwest so much.

E: and since I'm here, anyone using straight talk at&t in Nebraska? Speifically in Omaha. How is it?

I'm in the first Major metro directly south of Omaha, and TMo, ATT, and Verizon works great, Sprint not so much.

Take a look at this map:
http://opensignal.com/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I'm in the first Major metro directly south of Omaha, and TMo, ATT, and Verizon works great, Sprint not so much.

Take a look at this map:
http://opensignal.com/

T-Mobile? It doesn't work at all in Omaha. In fact, they have towers here, used to sell service, but now they no longer do.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint are the only big carriers here. The rest are all US Cellular, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Cricket.

Good to hear that AT&T works well just outside of Omaha though. I sometimes head to Council Bluffs too.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Stick100 posted:

Judging by the OP that's probably the best option. I'm guessing I'd only get edge speeds with that, but it'd probably suffice. It's too bad the AT&T based options are poor. Timing the delivery of the activation kit is going to be... Fun unless they deliver to Canadian addresses.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Fister posted:

According to howardforums, this new Verizon MVNO is launching around 11/1 and near year's end they will have 4G:

http://www.talkforgood.com/why-choose-talkforgood/

$55 per month for unlimited everything with verizon 4g is pretty nice.

What happened with this? The website still doesn't list anything concrete.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So, just to be clear. Once the new Windows Phone 8 models start coming out, will I be able to purchase it (full price, I suppose) through T-Mobile and pop in a prepaid SIM card, or...?

I guess the proper question is: Will there be unlocked Windows Phone 8 phones?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BlackFrost posted:

So, just to be clear. Once the new Windows Phone 8 models start coming out, will I be able to purchase it (full price, I suppose) through T-Mobile and pop in a prepaid SIM card, or...?

I guess the proper question is: Will there be unlocked Windows Phone 8 phones?

Depends on the phone? I know that the Lumia 920 is GSM, and I imagine there are a lot of others. Just make sure that whatever phone you get is GSM and not CDMA, because you can't freely swap SIM cards with CDMA phones.

Speaking of all this, I kind of wish I'd had the foresight to research GSM and CDMA before I bought into VM. The service isn't bad, its just that the only two phones they have worth a drat are a rebranded evo 3D and the One V, and I doubt they'll be getting more any time soon.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Straight Talk phones are sold at Walmart.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I just gotta chime in and say that I ditched TMO and got another ST ATT SIM for my phone and now both my wife and I are on ATT. I cannot believe how good the service is. It completely destroys the postpaid Sprint plan I had before as well as TMO. I have 3 to full bars on HSDPA EVERYWHERE I go. Even at my house I have full bars where Sprint had none, and I live out in the sticks of Southeastern Ohio. I never lose service on my 40 hour commute where I would lose signal in 2 different spots on Sprint. I just can't believe how awesome it is and wish I would have did this years ago.

It's funny, when I tell people about prepaid plans now, I realize how stupid I was. I would justify postpaid just like they do. "What about phone insurance, I gotta have that", "What if something goes wrong, who do I call?", "What if my phone needs work, where do I go?", "I am afraid of not having good cell reception!".. On & On.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mastershakeman posted:

What happened with this? The website still doesn't list anything concrete.

Probably a delay.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Choicecut posted:

It's funny, when I tell people about prepaid plans now, I realize how stupid I was. I would justify postpaid just like they do. "What about phone insurance, I gotta have that", "What if something goes wrong, who do I call?", "What if my phone needs work, where do I go?", "I am afraid of not having good cell reception!".. On & On.

Welcome to the prepaid family. But no matter what you say everyone will still look at you like you are crazy. The telecoms have the whole country locked into the thought process of contracts and $60-100 (with taxes) bills. It would take a large marketing campaign to break that and I don't think it will happen.

It's like pregnancy tests, Walgreen sells then for $7, grocery store sells them for $15, and the dollar store sells then for $1. They are all the same thing with the same process and the same chemicals but marketing seems to win.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
A question - how safe would it be to turn on tethering with a T-Mobile device without paying for the tethering plan? What would happen if they caught me? I have a Galaxy Nexus and an iPad, and I just figure it'd be nice to do browsing and email from the iPad when it's convenient.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nihiliste posted:

A question - how safe would it be to turn on tethering with a T-Mobile device without paying for the tethering plan? What would happen if they caught me? I have a Galaxy Nexus and an iPad, and I just figure it'd be nice to do browsing and email from the iPad when it's convenient.

Honestly, read the last few pages. I asked the same thing and a lot of people chimed in. This was early last week, I believe.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

It's safe, you might get hit with a pay wall after a hundred or so mb, but even then if you wait a couple hours it will reset and you can tether again. Or you can just change your mobile agent and continue.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Stick100 posted:

It's safe, you might get hit with a pay wall after a hundred or so mb, but even then if you wait a couple hours it will reset and you can tether again. Or you can just change your mobile agent and continue.

Thanks to both you and Uthor. I'll give it a shot, it seems like the risks aren't too high for someone in my circumstances!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Straight Talk phones are sold at Walmart.

Are they the GSM ones though?

Choicecut posted:

I just gotta chime in and say that I ditched TMO and got another ST ATT SIM for my phone and now both my wife and I are on ATT. I cannot believe how good the service is. It completely destroys the postpaid Sprint plan I had before as well as TMO. I have 3 to full bars on HSDPA EVERYWHERE I go. Even at my house I have full bars where Sprint had none, and I live out in the sticks of Southeastern Ohio. I never lose service on my 40 hour commute where I would lose signal in 2 different spots on Sprint. I just can't believe how awesome it is and wish I would have did this years ago.

This is really awesome news. It should work fine for me in Omaha, hopefully.

I asked around on ST's Facebook and one customer told me to leave roaming on or my signal would die when I left an ATT area. Is this true? On Sprint, I leave roaming OFF because it just costs me money.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are they the GSM ones though?

This is really awesome news. It should work fine for me in Omaha, hopefully.

I asked around on ST's Facebook and one customer told me to leave roaming on or my signal would die when I left an ATT area. Is this true? On Sprint, I leave roaming OFF because it just costs me money.

If there's no tmobile where you live you're not going to be roaming on anything when not in att's range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

If there's no tmobile where you live you're not going to be roaming on anything when not in att's range.

That shouldn't be too bad since AT&T's coverage isn't too bad here supposedly.

I don't know though.

I've had so many mixed reactions from people I've asked so I'll probably see if I can pick up a GSM phone to test. If Walmart has them, I can grab them sometime this week.

Does anyone know of a cheap GSM phone to start out with to test the sms/mms (not required)/data?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 6, 2012

• Locked thread