Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Earlier somebody asked about annotations for Stormlight and Brandon said that they are on deck after he finished posting them for Alcatraz. There are more deleted scenes that should get posted as well. Here is an interesting one from bizaro world Szeth's perspective. Obviously, there are WOK spoilers, so don't click until you've read the book.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/library/147/The-Way-of-Kings-Prime-Jeksonsonvallano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I think Emperor's Soul was worth getting now. It's tad short, as expected for a novella, but feels like a complete story. It felt a lot like a pitch - you got a short plot and a whole lot of flavor and ideas for you to think about. It really got me hoping he'll return to the world with a fully fleshed out book.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 24, 2012

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I loved the poo poo out of Emperor's Soul. It's short but intense.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I just finished up Alloy of Law. Mistborn works so much better when it reads like a heist story. All the references to the previous series made me smile, especially the High Imperial language. I think I missed where Hoid showed up in this one, if he did at all.

The mention of the Faceless Immortals was kinda neat, if they are who I think they are. I thought they all killed themselves.I also didn't see it coming when Marsh showed up at the end as an agent of Harmony.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TenaciousJ posted:

I just finished up Alloy of Law. Mistborn works so much better when it reads like a heist story. All the references to the previous series made me smile, especially the High Imperial language. I think I missed where Hoid showed up in this one, if he did at all.

The mention of the Faceless Immortals was kinda neat, if they are who I think they are. I thought they all killed themselves.I also didn't see it coming when Marsh showed up at the end as an agent of Harmony.

They just un-spiked themselves and were still safely within the Homeland caves when the sun came up. It was intended to be a suicidal action (at the very least, robbing them of their sentience and returning to being simple mistwraiths), but Ol' Ironeyes could have easily fixed them up again, now that he has a direct line to Harmony.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

I think I missed where Hoid showed up in this one, if he did at all.
I think he was the "scruffy man who looked like a beggar, dressed all in black" at the wedding dinner in Chapter 4.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

They just un-spiked themselves and were still safely within the Homeland caves when the sun came up. It was intended to be a suicidal action (at the very least, robbing them of their sentience and returning to being simple mistwraiths), but Ol' Ironeyes could have easily fixed them up again, now that he has a direct line to Harmony.

Imagine how annoyed Sazed could make Marsh, with him being the only one who knows who Harmony was before he got his powers. He could spend centuries going "Hey Marsh, lets have a philosophy battle, but I already know all the answers"

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just finished Legion, and it was a pretty quick and good read. I enjoyed Steven a lot as well as is aspects. I sincerely hope that he expounds on this setting and the characters in it. I really would like to know how everything works.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pakman posted:

I just finished Legion, and it was a pretty quick and good read. I enjoyed Steven a lot as well as is aspects. I sincerely hope that he expounds on this setting and the characters in it. I really would like to know how everything works.

He tweeted that another Legion short story would come whenever he has some down time or another long flight.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

He tweeted that another Legion short story would come whenever he has some down time or another long flight.

The long flight thing is why it is funny to me.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Just finished Hero of the Ages and I am pretty sad that its over. The Mistborn trilogy was pretty awesome.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Stealthgerbil posted:

Just finished Hero of the Ages and I am pretty sad that its over. The Mistborn trilogy was pretty awesome.

Well at least there's still Alloy of Law.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

And the planned sequels to Alloy of Law.
And the upcoming new trilogy set it modern times. (Think Dresden Files with Allomancy.)
And the final capstone trilogy set in OUUUTTTTTEERRRRRR SSPPPPAAAACCCEEEEE.....

There's also potential video games, movies, and such which are licensed out, but who knows if/when they will get made.

There's also 9 more Stormlight books, an Elantris sequel, a Warbreaker sequel, and at least 2 more universes set in his 'Cosmere'. Then there is his new YA Superhero series coming out, and his YA Rithmatist series, a few more sequels to Alcatraz, and whatever else he can cram in during his Magic TG tournaments...

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 4, 2012

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

And the planned sequels to Alloy of Law.
And the upcoming new trilogy set it modern times. (Think Dresden Files with Allomancy.)
And the final capstone trilogy set in OUUUTTTTTEERRRRRR SSPPPPAAAACCCEEEEE.....

There's also potential video games, movies, and such which are licensed out, but who knows if/when they will get made.

There's also 9 more Stormlight books, an Elantris sequel, a Warbreaker sequel, and at least 2 more universes set in his 'Cosmere'. Then there is his new YA Superhero series coming out, and his YA Rithmatist series, a few more sequels to Alcatraz, and whatever else he can cram in during his Magic TG tournaments...

Sanderson may be a prolific writer but he's not prolific enough. He needs to write faster. :colbert:

I want Stormlight 2 now dammit.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I just ordered Allow of Law and the first Stormlight book. Cant wait till they get here :3

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stormlight 2 is on track for next fall/christmas, but we should get more short stories in between now and then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

404GoonNotFound posted:

I figured it was the large group of them who were too much under the sway of Ruin to follow the order. Then Ruin dies and they're left spending the next few centuries trying to repent for failing in the entire job they were created for.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Let's just put him on several trans-world flights. That should allow him to crank out a few books.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

calandryll posted:

Let's just put him on several trans-world flights. That should allow him to crank out a few books.

Get the kickstarter going, I'm in.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are his novellas connected to his overworld? Because the Imperial Fool is totally Hoid

Just starting the Emperor's Soul ebook so I could be wrong.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Are his novellas connected to his overworld? Because the Imperial Fool is totally Hoid

Just starting the Emperor's Soul ebook so I could be wrong.

Not all of them. Obviously Legion is on Earth. But Emperor's Soul is -- it's actually on another corner of the same planet as Elantris.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Jorenko posted:

Not all of them. Obviously Legion is on Earth.

...or is it? :crossarms:
(It is.)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: BUY! BUY! BUY! :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1XOPE8

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yay!

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
...And the UK release date is in loving march.

What.

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
Sweden here. Could not buy it from amazon a couple of days ago. Release date was early 2013. But I could get it from dragonmounts store.
And today i saw that i can buy it from amazon.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
Just finished Emperor's Soul in two subway rides today (thanks, disabled train!), and wow. That was a really fun ride. It was tight, well-plotted and fun, and I liked the light philosophical angle to it.

Those of you who have read Elantris, how connected is it? From the comments I've seen the answer seems to be "not very," but I'm curious if any of the characters from ES appeared in or were otherwise mentioned there.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Not very is pretty much right. Hoid is (more likely than not) referenced but not named. And, there's a mention of one of the empires that played a part in Elantris. Those are the only real references off the top of my head.

Rather happy to see a fantasy story take place in an asian inspired setting for once. Also, was totally making Bruce Lee noises in my head during one part.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Superstring posted:

Not very is pretty much right. Hoid is (more likely than not) referenced but not named. And, there's a mention of one of the empires that played a part in Elantris. Those are the only real references off the top of my head.

Rather happy to see a fantasy story take place in an asian inspired setting for once. Also, was totally making Bruce Lee noises in my head during one part.

Speaking of Hoid, was he mentioned or referenced at all in Legion? I can't seem to recall a reference.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

pakman posted:

Speaking of Hoid, was he mentioned or referenced at all in Legion? I can't seem to recall a reference.

Legion's on Earth and not part of the Cosmere, so no.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1127/A-MEMORY-OF-LIGHT-Release-Events

Brandon Sanderson posted:

I do plan to take a trip to Europe sometime in 2013, but it hasn't been arranged yet.

Thats gonna be good for at least 3 novellas.

:cheers:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Cartoon Man posted:

Thats gonna be good for at least 3 novellas.

:cheers:

Oh man what if he comes to Germany while I'm still here. That would be amazing.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Is there a thread for Raven's Shadow Book One Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) [terrible name] anywhere? I read it based on this thread's recommendation and it was loving awesome and I want to talk about it but I don't want to fill up this thread.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Kruller posted:

Is there a thread for Raven's Shadow Book One Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) [terrible name] anywhere? I read it based on this thread's recommendation and it was loving awesome and I want to talk about it but I don't want to fill up this thread.

Not that I know of. Does anybody know when the next book in that series will be out btw?

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Not that I know of. Does anybody know when the next book in that series will be out btw?

From what he's said on his blog it'll probably be quite a while. The book is finished, but because he has a publisher now, the release schedule is now in their hands. First the "published" version of Book 1 has to be released, and then my guess is that the book 2 will probably be released around a year after that.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Finished Blood Song RS it was really good. Got Legion as an audiobook for free it is also really good. I am so lost on what to start now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
New Dresden Files and Iron Druid books just came out.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but is Iron Druid any good?

I finished my WoT reread, read the three Mageborn books (I am still not sure if I can rate those above fanfiction quality), and now I am reading Red County (Joe Abercrombie).
Gonna finish that this week and will need something to read over the holidays.

So I am turning to you for advice, fellow Sanderson lovers!

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Tahirovic posted:

I finished my WoT reread, read the three Mageborn books (I am still not sure if I can rate those above fanfiction quality), and now I am reading Red County (Joe Abercrombie).

They are very much in line with Dresden, if I may assume you're familiar with those.

On one hand, the setting/concept is interesting- a several thousand year old druid, very powerful, and constantly dealing with deities from various pantheons and religions. Atticus is interesting, the magic system of elementals and such is unusual/unique.. And, honestly, the books are just -fun-.

On the other hand, Kevin Hearne likes his nerd references more than any single author I've come across, and there are a few limited portions of the books that will make you go, "Oh, come the gently caress on." However, the truly bad jokes/memes are usually far enough apart as to not ruin the books at all.

Don't expect them to be the most refined book on your shelf, but they're fun, they're interesting, and they're worth a read if you're looking for new material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Tahirovic posted:

It's very very like Dresden, in that it has a pop culture wisecracking magic user who has a hottie apprentice, intelligent dog, and scary/sexy goddess pulling his strings. Almost a bit too much like Dresden in parts, but it is very entertaining. My main concern is that the protagonist doesn't seem to act and feel like one would expect a 2000 year old to act (I know how silly that sounds), he feels like a 20-something American nerd who just so happens to make occasional passing references to events from 2000 years ago.

Also the setting felt highly "borrowed" from American Gods, where all the old gods are just sort of kicking around Wherever, USA acting like mortals, but that could just be me.

So yeah it's a lot fun, but it makes almost makes Dresden seem serious and complex in comparison.