Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

You could convert the gathers into darts if that makes it better. I actually own a pair of medium denim clam-diggers and when I think about it, they make me feel remarkably "unfashionable mom"-ish. :(

Yeah, I think I'll try that. I was excited about them at first because the pattern was cheap, the fabric was free, and I don't have many pants that fit. They've been sitting on a chair in my kitchen untouched for over a week now. :sigh:

E: I just remembered the pants already have darts in the back. Why the gently caress are there darts and gathering on the same edge? There's only an inch of fabric that needs to be gathered in back, too. :mad:

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Mizufusion posted:

Fuzzy pajama pants? That's what I want right now.

I was working on some capris, but I think the project is in hibernation forever now, and not just because the weather is getting colder. I had a really cute pattern, but attaching the waistband was driving me mad. The waist of the pants needs to be gathered ever-so-slightly, 1 5/8" in the back, and 5/8" in the front. Seems kind of stupid to me, and I'd probably have skipped the pattern if I noticed that sooner.

The fabric I was using was an indigo blue cotton, sort of like thin denim. A friend of mine destashed some fabric on me a while ago, and there was just enough of it for this pattern, so I figured they'd be like cute little jeans. Then I realized I was essentially making ladies jorts. :stonk:

When you're finished could you dye them to look less like jorts?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Comrade Quack posted:

When you're finished could you dye them to look less like jorts?

Maybe! Right now they're a very dark indigo blue and they have a finer weave than denim so I'm not too concerned about it. I just thought it was kind of funny.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Mizufusion posted:

Yeah, I think I'll try that. I was excited about them at first because the pattern was cheap, the fabric was free, and I don't have many pants that fit. They've been sitting on a chair in my kitchen untouched for over a week now. :sigh:

E: I just remembered the pants already have darts in the back. Why the gently caress are there darts and gathering on the same edge? There's only an inch of fabric that needs to be gathered in back, too. :mad:

Move the fullness from the gathers into the dart or just ease the whole seam?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Mizufusion posted:

:stonk: This is why I hate store-bought patterns sometimes, it's like they think that people who want to sew want mom jeans. drat it, we sew because we don't like what's offered in the store and we know we can do better!

If you hadn't already cut it out I'd suggest just making it into a yoke, but... hmm. Could you do a little fudging and take out that ease on the side seam, maybe? I'm just baffled as to why you would need to have a dart and gathering on the back of pants. You put darts or a yoke there so as to not give yourself Junk in the Trunk Syndrome, why would you gather it and give yourself half-junk back there? I swear sometimes these patterners must be using a horse's rear end for a tailoring body sometimes.

I bought my new Singer a month ago and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. drat you college!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, in retrospect this purchase was really dumb. It's from a book called the Sew Everything Workshop. I got it because it was half-price and it came with a bunch of patterns, but after buying it realized most of them were really, really stupid patterns. Like, including shapeless rectangular tank tops for that stuffed-in-a-pillowcase look we all love.

I'm just glad I decided to use this fabric and not the really nice plaid I've been hoarding. That would have been upsetting.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
You joke about the pillowcase, but here in the UK we had this show on TV about saving money and some girl actually said she makes "vintage style tops" from old pillowcases with head and arm holes cut out.

She looked like she was doing recon work in an old folks home.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Mmmm. Tacky boxy shirts ftw.

I remember pillowcase dresses being an easy thing to make/wear when I was a kid and was recently surprised to find out that they've been making a comeback.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Mmmm. Tacky boxy shirts ftw.

I remember pillowcase dresses being an easy thing to make/wear when I was a kid and was recently surprised to find out that they've been making a comeback.

:psyduck: My god.
Actually I secretly think about how fun it would be to sew clothes for my daughter, if I have one. :3: I'd probably dress the poor girl in a bizarre Schiaparelli slash Commes des Garçons pattern explosion though. She'd either love me to death or hate me forever.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

madlilnerd posted:

You joke about the pillowcase, but here in the UK we had this show on TV about saving money and some girl actually said she makes "vintage style tops" from old pillowcases with head and arm holes cut out.

She looked like she was doing recon work in an old folks home.

I joke because I know people do things like this. :sigh:

Those and the ones Rufus linked to have way more shaping than the one in my book, though. The pattern is seriously a rectangle with rectangle shoulder straps. I can't imagine actually needing/wanting a pattern for this. Here's a pic from the book that I shamelessly stole from the web:

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Tomorrow I am getting a new sewing machine. I am excited.

Hooray for Craigslist.

Brigg
Dec 27, 2006
Master of all things orange.
Looks like time for another completely out of place sewing project from me! (I know I'm excited)

I always liked the look of old 1960's vintage body armor but they didn't really make them that great back then (Unusual or flat out bad material choices, etc). So i wanted to make something similar but better, and i wanted it to be my own design.

So, I took the designs of 3 different vests that I liked from the time period and picked the features I like from each. Then I mushed them into one vest design and made it out of modern nylon (Some kind of ballistic nylon, may or may not be cordura i don't actually know)

The result: This thing!

I think its pretty true to the style from then. I even have ceramic armor plates from 1969 in it. I didn't want to straight out copy anything because that's really no fun. Though not shown, is that later I added some metal strap connectors to the bottom that I had forgotten about.

I might go and buy a small roll of 18oz. Army green cotton duck fabric and make some even older 1940's looking stuff too. I haven't decided yet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverend Cheddar posted:

:stonk: This is why I hate store-bought patterns sometimes, it's like they think that people who want to sew want mom jeans. drat it, we sew because we don't like what's offered in the store and we know we can do better!

It's even worse if you're trying to make mens' clothing.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's even worse if you're trying to make mens' clothing.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's half the reason my boyfriend's dating me. :v: He's my guinea pig for practicing how to draft men's patterns.

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011
I thought I would post a questionable jacket I made to wear to a fashion show while we're on the topic of menswear. I've always drafted my own patterns because I can and because most commercial menswear patterns are for fat man pants and ugly shirts. Sorry about the colour of my bathroom, it's not my fault I swear. And sorry it's a bit droopy, the hand-tacking on the shoulder pad wasn't done at this point, but you get the idea.

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

Hoping someone can help me with a ruffler foot problem.

I just got one of the generic ones from Joann's, and it makes ruffles beautifully, but whether I put the fabric through the guide, loose in the foot, or completely underneath the foot, it still ruffles.

From what I understand, I should be able to place a fabric under the foot next to the feed dogs and it would not be ruffled, so that you can make a ruffle on top and attach it to the (theoretically unruffled) fabric underneath the foot in one step. What am I missing here?

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
Brigg, your work is lovely.

I made my friend his halloween costume, or part of it anyways.

Him wearing it, just ignore the odd background

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I have to ask, did he wear the rubber mask? My boyfriend did that, and the marks it left on his face were pretty comical.

Great looking jacket!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

If I made a jacket that nice for my boyfriend for a costume, I'd murder him if he never wore it after Halloween.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
Thanks! Yeah he wore the rubber mask, but he didn't wear it for long. As for wearing the jacket for more than just halloween, I pretty much told him he better, or at least have someone he knows to wear it since that thing is pretty warm and comfortable and it would be horrible if it sat in a closet unworn. After making his, I now want to make myself a bomber jacket.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I made a quilt for my friend.

Time was a factor, which is why the blocks were so huge. My machine nearly choked and died, but that's okay, I like my friend. Close up of the stitching:

No worries, it's cat tested.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Last night I dreamed I made a herringbone quilt with strips a quarter inch wide. Ouch.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Sounds more like a nightmare to me. :stare:

I'm about to embark upon

in black and gold confetti dot for a drag queen friend of mine. I made him promise to pull random things out of those deliciously deep wings during his performance, including a $5 footlong and possibly a trombone.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
God damnit, I want drag queen friends to sew crazy stuff for. :saddowns:

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I was doing a bit of a fabric consultation for a Brazilian drag queen once. It was Halloween and the theme for the week's show was monsters. So this queen's idea was 'Do Cookie Monster no Praia de Copacabana'. Cookie Monster at the beach. The coup de grace of this was going to be a blue fur bikini top where the nipples were going to be Cookie Monster's googly eyes.

I never asked the occasion of anyone's garment again after that.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I'm wondering if any color savvy designers in this thread could help me with a RIT dye recipe matching the green and orange on the Irish flag. I thought it might be something I could just google but I didn't see a quick answer.

Here is the RIT color guide: http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

And the flag colors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ireland

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Is there any possible way you can just buy fabric of the right colors? Dyeing to a perfect hue is a... touchy process.

Edit: looks like the closest match is pure Sunshine Orange, but their greens are all too washed out to match the vibrancy of the flag.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 19, 2012

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I want to dye some pants to look like these Bonobos: http://www.bonobos.com/po-8814-st-paddys-day-pant

I don't think it has to be perfect and I agree getting a strong even color was difficult the couple times I have dyed t-shirts. I'm probably better off just hoping I actually have some money the next time the pants are available again.

Now it's just sort of turned into a color experiment but I haven't totally disregarded trying it.

On the rit page, I think green 260 or 264 look pretty good and orange 93.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Ooof, getting those nice clean lines will be hell too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It would be a million times easier to just buy the different colors and sew some tricolor pants. I mean ok you would have seams on the legs, but on the plus side you won't take your own life in a Ritdye fueled rampage in frustration.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alternately, if you could find a big enough Irish flag (or two)....

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
You could probably get a decent line between colors by tightly clamping the part that won't be dyed between two sheets of plexiglass. Works pretty well for small shapes, but no idea how it would turn out on a large finished garment like that.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Any suggested patterns for a pair of men's dress trousers for a beginner?
Burda Style 7841 is the only one I can see online that aren't huge tent things, but I'm not certain if anything in that is going to be insurmountable with my slim knowledge.
I've no deadline or event I need them for; just the self-satisfaction of making them so it's not like I can't afford to redo stuff if need be.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
I suggest kwik sew patterns if you are a beginner, mainly due to the fact that the instructions are really simple. If you're making slacks, look into kwiksew 2860. Granted, they aren't as slim looking as the burda pattern, but this will help you with putting together a pair.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
This is a very basic question, but I'm really new to knitwear. How do I make a waistband like this? There is no elastic inside. The waistband is just made of the same material as the rest of the skirt/leggings.

I don't think it's just a foldover waist that's folded inwards and sewn in, because the front seam doesn't match up on the waistband. But if it's a separate foldover waistband that you sandwich with the rest of the skirt, there's no topstitching or anything, so how do I attach the inside waistband seam?

Edit:

This blog answered my question!
http://shwinandshwin.blogspot.com/2012/03/no-hem-leggings.html

No sandwiching involved -- wow, so easy! Totally going to make some high waisted leggings and skirts this winter. :3:

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 27, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is there any reason not to just make them the same way you would a regular yoke? I mean the blog method also seems fine, I just would have suggested a yoke pattern and I'm not sure if there is a reason to avoid that.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Is there any reason not to just make them the same way you would a regular yoke? I mean the blog method also seems fine, I just would have suggested a yoke pattern and I'm not sure if there is a reason to avoid that.

You mean making a yoke and having a hem at the top? You wouldn't get the stretchy waistband effect then.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

amishsexpot posted:

You mean making a yoke and having a hem at the top? You wouldn't get the stretchy waistband effect then.

Depends how you sewed the hem, the ideal being coverstitch, but we don't all have industrial machines.

I do teehee

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

This is going a little over my head! How would that look/work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

http://www.pfaff.com/global/20289_20292.html

If you're wearing a t-shirt, look at how it's hemmed around the bottom.