Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

CrunchyTaco posted:

If we work together we can defeat the true threat-- the speed limit. *hops on mongoose and does wicked stunts, dodging the landmines in that one desert map*

God drat, I miss the griefing thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

I said come in! posted:

343 is going to have a zero tolerance policy against sexual harassment and I assume racism on Halo 4; http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/good-riddance-halo-4-creators-threaten-permabans-for-sexist-comments/

Seriously, thank for this policy, 343 Studio's.

I applaud this decision.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ClemenSalad posted:

I don't really understand why this matters or is some huge loss to non pro people.

Because the purpose of TrueSkill is to match you with people with similar TrueSkill to your own so that you have a reasonably competitive and therefore fun match. There is no reason for the player to even be aware that exists, much less have any knowledge of the actual value.

Halo 3 conclusively demonstrated that if you show players their TrueSkill, they will deliberately manipulate the system in order to artificially lower their own TrueSkill so they can stomp noobs or artificially raise their TrueSkill in order to be extra elite and then drag down the teams of actual skilled players.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Will this change let people see people's TrueSkill for "not pro" playlists? If not I don't see the problem. Let the 'pros' epeen over how good they are against other 'pros'.

E: vvv Too bad this game doesn't have the Riot Shie-
Wait.
:getin:

ImperialGuard fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 3, 2012

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Trueskill was never designed to tell players how good they were, it's a matchmaking tool design to make sure players have fun and challenging games. By exposing TS in Halo 3, and tying it directly to the game's advancement and armor unlock systems meant that some players played "Trueskill" instead of playing "Halo 3"

I don't know how well others enjoyed Reach's arena because I played a grand total of 4 games in it, but it seemed like a fresher way to approach leaderboard gameplay.

After watching a few hours of the Machinima stream, I do like how points are awarded for various actions that contribute to you team. I saw a guy get 5 points because the enemy were shooting him and he died, but this allowed his team mate to kill the enemy. I'm going to get so many distraction medals!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

madadric posted:

Trueskill was never designed to tell players how good they were, it's a matchmaking tool design to make sure players have fun and challenging games. By exposing TS in Halo 3, and tying it directly to the game's advancement and armor unlock systems meant that some players played "Trueskill" instead of playing "Halo 3"

I don't know how well others enjoyed Reach's arena because I played a grand total of 4 games in it, but it seemed like a fresher way to approach leaderboard gameplay.

After watching a few hours of the Machinima stream, I do like how points are awarded for various actions that contribute to you team. I saw a guy get 5 points because the enemy were shooting him and he died, but this allowed his team mate to kill the enemy. I'm going to get so many distraction medals!

As far as I know, unlocks and rank progression in Halo 4 are not tied to trueskill. They are tied only to how many points you make per game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I really hope they don't listen to the MLG crowd. I played Reach at a friends this week and there were so many annoying changes. Most game types had most powers taken out, you were limited to 2 people on a console for anything but 3 game types and they severely limited the amount of maps available, lots of gametypes with a focus on BRs and no radar or shields. It was just very hard to get any variation or even maps with vehicles.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Davincie posted:

you were limited to 2 people on a console for anything but 3 game types and they severely limited the amount of maps available
This is for performance reasons. When you have four people playing split-screen, Halo has to lower the graphics' fidelity and draw distance significantly in order to not run at something near 10 FPS. Rendering four different perspectives of the same map on the fly is a huge drain, especially for aging hardware with .5 GB of RAM. Intricate Forge World maps are especially heavy on the processor. Limiting you to two player split screen makes the game run a lot better for you, and you get the benefit of being able to see who's shooting at you.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

I really hope they don't listen to the MLG crowd. I played Reach at a friends this week and there were so many annoying changes. Most game types had most powers taken out, you were limited to 2 people on a console for anything but 3 game types and they severely limited the amount of maps available, lots of gametypes with a focus on BRs and no radar or shields. It was just very hard to get any variation or even maps with vehicles.

I'm hoping that the sheer amount of poo poo they're throwing at the wall with this game will discourage them from editing most of the fun away at a later date.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

fivegears4reverse posted:

As far as I know, unlocks and rank progression in Halo 4 are not tied to trueskill. They are tied only to how many points you make per game.

I've been watching the stream, and this is what i've been able to figure out.

You earn XP or credits or whatever playing games, which you need to go up Spartan Ranks. Some armor is unlocked at certain Spartan Ranks, other armor gets unlocked when you complete a certain challenge, like getting Wheelman to master. You don't seem to need to buy the armor, it just unlocks once you meet the prerequesite conditions.

To unlock weapons Armor Abilities, and perks, you spend Spartan Points. SP are awarded whenever you go up a Spartan Rank.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Davincie posted:

What gametypes were closed off? I had an FPS night at a buddy's house, and we weren't really missing much in Reach :confused: Then again, I played the beta of that game more than the final online multiplayer.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HQteJNk3A

I like it. 1 hour and 17 minutes long as well.

-A n i m 8- fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 3, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_o9y79QrIE

:stare:

edit: 'bitch, bitch, biiiiiitch'

:staredog:

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Hahaha, this stream has gotten less and less professional.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Namaste posted:

Hahaha, this stream has gotten less and less professional.

The guy on right now literally complained about getting assassinated after he walked in front of someone else.

Fake edit: and now he's crying about dying in two shots after getting hit like six or seven times

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Yeah his whinging seems to boil down to the fact that he's picked some weird control layout that he doesn't like (he changed it at the start of this round match for some reason and has been whining about it since) and that he doesn't like his armor ability he's picked.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This guy is a whiny oval office

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^^His whining about getting killed by the Needler was priceless. He may as well have been saying "OH MY GOD YOU DIE WHEN YOU ARE KILLED :saddowns:"

Promethean Vision is pretty good, so I dunno what the whining is about. Basically, if you're any good, you can use it in a short burst before rounding a corner and line up headshots on dudes before they're ready.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah fill me in on how the ability to SEE THROUGH loving WALLS is somehow not a strong ability

Once upon a time we called that wallhacking :qq:

How do we get rid of these guys

edit: SICK FIREFOX BURN BROOOOO

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 3, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
My copy just showed up. I know what I'm doing today. Fuuuuuuuck yeah.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

victrix posted:

Yeah fill me in on how the ability to SEE THROUGH loving WALLS is somehow not a strong ability

Once upon a time we called that wallhacking :qq:

How do we get rid of these guys

edit: SICK FIREFOX BURN BROOOOO

In my day we fought off assholes with FarSight XL's and didn't complain. :smugdog:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

My copy just showed up. I know what I'm doing today. Fuuuuuuuck yeah.

Lucky sod. Doesn't come out here until Tuesday. :argh:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It said it would have been delivered on Monday I have no idea what the hell it's doing here this early but I'm not complaining! :stare:

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

The guy's a whiny gently caress and not very good but I have to agree that the TTK seems too low.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ah Pook posted:

The guy's a whiny gently caress and not very good but I have to agree that the TTK seems too low.

Every time he whined he was getting shot at from multiple directions while out in the open, or he got supercombined by the Needler, or he got assassinated, or he got melee'd twice in the face while he failed to even keep his view pointed in the general vicinity of his opponent. He's basically terrible, but believes he's actually some sort of MLG superstar and should be doing better. When you're bad at a videogame, and are playing on a lack of sleep, you are probably not a good judge of much of anything about game balance in multiplayer. I should know, I'm basically the worst at multiplayer shooters :smith:

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

Every time he whined he was getting shot at from multiple directions while out in the open, or he got supercombined by the Needler, or he got assassinated, or he got melee'd twice in the face while he failed to even keep his view pointed in the general vicinity of his opponent. He's basically terrible, but believes he's actually some sort of MLG superstar and should be doing better. When you're bad at a videogame, and are playing on a lack of sleep, you are probably not a good judge of much of anything about game balance in multiplayer. I should know, I'm basically the worst at multiplayer shooters :smith:

Isn't he an actual mlg superstar or is this some other guy?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ah Pook posted:

Turns out people actually die if you don't force AR starts.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Holy poo poo multiplayer is fun.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ah Pook posted:

The people he's been playing against have been playing nonstop h4 for like 30 hours? They know the maps back to front by this point and they're playing as a team so yeah he's gonna die like a chump while he learns the buttons.

Because there's instant respawn, both teams are at full strength 90% of the time. I don't know strategy for poo poo but I wold guess that means you gotta play more defensively if you want to survive for any length of time. Or get used to playing a game with faster, more hectic firefights?

I watched most of sarks shift, and he actually seemed like a pretty chill guy. They spent some time in customs checking out bullet spread and shots to kill with a bunch of weapons and kept dragging his buddy into big team so they could goof off in vehicles. :unsmith:

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

-A n i m 8- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HQteJNk3A

I like it. 1 hour and 17 minutes long as well.

I think it's terrific.

all of it's on Spotify as well by the way.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Absolutely. I was playing earlier today with some friends (review copy, whatup) and Dominion is fantastic, a really clever and horribly entertaining mode. Love Grifball too, first time I've played it and god it's a blast.

Little bit disappointing that I couldn't trial it all online though. My copy arrived late and all the game journos on Live were playing Infinity Slayer and only Infinity Slayer. Jerks.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Absolutely. I was playing earlier today with some friends (review copy, whatup) and Dominion is fantastic, a really clever and horribly entertaining mode. Love Grifball too, first time I've played it and god it's a blast.

Little bit disappointing that I couldn't trial it all online though. My copy arrived late and all the game journos on Live were playing Infinity Slayer and only Infinity Slayer. Jerks.

I like how when I fired up MP to just test it out the game showed me a message that basically said "hey, games not out yet. It might go down. Contact your PR representative!"

I have PR? :tinfoil:

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I like how when I fired up MP to just test it out the game showed me a message that basically said "hey, games not out yet. It might go down. Contact your PR representative!"

Call the business you ordered it from, I guess they'll count. "AH YEAH THIS GAME THAT YOU SENT ME THAT DOESN'T TECHNICALLY RELEASE UNTIL TUESDAY, WELL I GOT IT AND NOW I'M TRYING TO PLAY SPARTAN OPS AND I DON'T KNOW--WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, YOU ARE MY CONNECTION WITH MICROSOFT, DO YOUR JOB"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sultan Tarquin posted:

We'll have our people call your people and they'll contact you to confirm whether or not they indeed exist.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
HYPE TRAIN! Can't wait. Can't loving wait.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How's Theater Mode for multiplayer? Are there any new features? Halo Reach Theater Mode was pretty awesome.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I said come in! posted:

How's Theater Mode for multiplayer? Are there any new features? Halo Reach Theater Mode was pretty awesome.

No idea, never used it in Reach. I'll check it out after this match. Anyone got any questions about MP in general?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

No idea, never used it in Reach. I'll check it out after this match. Anyone got any questions about MP in general?

Trying to think of some that 343 didn't already cover. :X 343 knew they had to explain everything they could about the multiplayer because so many people were concerned they would botch it up due to not being Bungie.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh, duh. I have used theatre. Just watched a replay of a match and the UI is basically identical to what it was in Reach only a little cleaner. Couldn't see any new features but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh, duh. I have used theatre. Just watched a replay of a match and the UI is basically identical to what it was in Reach only a little cleaner. Couldn't see any new features but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Cool cool. I just like taking screenshots of my sweet kills. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just got my Limited Edition. What does the number on the front mean?

Edit: Oh it's like a serial.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 3, 2012

• Locked thread