Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

JerikTelorian posted:

What GRFs are you using to start earlier? Does it have any older style trains/transport?

We once had a carriage GRF on a goon server but they always moved slower than 1km/h.

GRF list:

2CC trainset has trains from 1840 and should be used in conjunction with nutracks. Only thing about 2CC is that the running costs are pretty excessive, as with the train costs. I have running costs set to a quarter because I play for fun. If you have inflation on with full running costs good luck making a profit after 50 years.

eGRVTs has vehicles from 1700 to the present day (from 1700 to 1890 or thereabouts its all horses).

FISH is a ship mod and sailing ships has ships available from before 1800.

Finally aviators aircraft is an airplane mod with planes available from about 1920.

Progress as of 1950, 20 years in now:

Metrication fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

That looks awesome! How's playing with NuTracks? I've never used it but I always think it would just be an annoyance. I guess it adds another dimension to network design?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
All these posts and not even a server to crash trains into each other.

A super long game with the .grf extentions might be amusing, though. even if it wouldn't have hovercrafts.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Jonnty posted:

That looks awesome! How's playing with NuTracks? I've never used it but I always think it would just be an annoyance. I guess it adds another dimension to network design?

Thanks. It's really good, I never really liked the monorail track type and it replaces that which 'metro' rail and boatloads of subway trains. Also it's nice to be able to build high speed rail separately from other tracks.

Here's a final network map as of 1961:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I finally figured out how to do signals, but I can't figure out why my trains keep entering and exiting the depots sometimes. Is it some weird thing with the routing system or is my block set up wrong?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Zeether posted:

I finally figured out how to do signals, but I can't figure out why my trains keep entering and exiting the depots sometimes. Is it some weird thing with the routing system or is my block set up wrong?

They often do that if they need to turn around, or when your layouts are overly complex and it seems like a reasonable thing to do cos all other paths are blocked. Post a layout on which it keeps happening and we'll have fun telling you how to make it better :)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Here's the layout:

In this picture you can see where one of the trains is entering the depot. It then comes out the same way it went in and then stops at the station and turns around after loading.

I did this initially to practice using signals which is why my money is huge (I cheated)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

They'll just do that due to how they're hard coded to do check up and maintenance if they pass by a depot(like driving right by their entrance like you have). You can usually fix it by making the depot a few track pieces away from the actual route.

Give it a try and report back.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just tried it and they still do it even with the depot away from the track. I even tried putting in another signal to try to lock the trains onto their route.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Trains are set to get serviced once in a while, I think there is a setting to change the interval or disable it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Either that, or move the depot one square along the track and put a signal in between the depot and the junction. Depots have built-in signals, so there might be a pathfinding oddity telling the trains to go get new directions.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I downloaded a new town name newGRF but I can't find it in the options and town names are still "silly" in game :( Do I have to do something else to get proper US town names??

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just reinstalled this after forgetting about this game for two years or so. What are the fun/cool GRFs and add-ons everyone is raving about these days?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Just reinstalled this after forgetting about this game for two years or so. What are the fun/cool GRFs and add-ons everyone is raving about these days?

I'd like to know this too. I've been rolling with the EC whatever economy mods and well they are pretty cool.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Do you guys think the base game would be simple enough for a seven-year-old to pick up? I'm figuring signals and track-laying would be too much for my niece, but maybe planes, boats and road vehicles would be a bit simpler?

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

YF19pilot posted:

FIRS replaces all the default industries with about 50 or so industries that all interconnect. it's pretty awesome.

For anyone wanting to play multiplayer, the reddit openttd forum has had a multi player game of FIRS going for a few weeks now, it's pretty active if anyone wants to come play. http://www.reddit.com/r/openttd it's listed in the side bar as server two.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Thel posted:

Do you guys think the base game would be simple enough for a seven-year-old to pick up? I'm figuring signals and track-laying would be too much for my niece, but maybe planes, boats and road vehicles would be a bit simpler?

I started playing this game when I was about five years old and had no trouble. That said, I remember my dad editing something to give me some ridiculously high starting budget.

To be honest, I can't imagine this game being much fun for a kid that young without a money cheat.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Just let the child play with airplanes enabled. When I was 7 that let me build big train networks, hell it works now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thel posted:

Complicated track laying maybe, but you can still do pretty well with very basic back-and-forth tracks that don't require any signalling. It won't be the most efficient possible setup, but it's still entirely possible to thrive with a basic passenger network like that.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Complicated track laying maybe, but you can still do pretty well with very basic back-and-forth tracks that don't require any signalling. It won't be the most efficient possible setup, but it's still entirely possible to thrive with a basic passenger network like that.
Yeah, when I was a kid I just did back-and-forth routes everywhere and still profited and had plenty of fun just watching the choo-choos go around. :allears: It has that model railway appeal.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

YF19pilot posted:

zbase is pretty cool. It's a 32bit graphics set with extra zoom levels. I believe it's complete at this point.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=61581

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a good picture of a large double entry station using path based signals? We built a lot of them back in the day when we had an MP server, but now I can't find one online to copy.

I found these two pictures on the OpenTTD wiki:
http://wiki.openttd.org/File:Screen_shot_2012-03-24_at_7.08.39_AM.png
http://wiki.openttd.org/File:Sharedepicterminus.png

The first picture is small and I'm too dumb to extrapolate that to a larger station. The second picture is big but doesn't use presignals. I think I could just replace the first signal in every branch with a presignal and get rid of the rest, but I know that sometimes it gets gummed up.

The description of the first picture says that the lower version won't gum up, but I don't know how to make it larger.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Speaking of MP servers, any chance the goon server could go back up? Any non-goon servers people like?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The server I use to host it is still there, I just haven't bothered to start the OpenTTD dedicated server.

Though I have been craving to play it again.

Do we want to use our custom patched version with the extra goodies, or the latest vanilla code?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I don't think the newer versions added anything important. We can stay with the patched one.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

less than three posted:

The server I use to host it is still there, I just haven't bothered to start the OpenTTD dedicated server.

Though I have been craving to play it again.
please please please please please

quote:

Do we want to use our custom patched version with the extra goodies

please please please please please

I just started a single player game in 1850, but I crave horrible goon competition :getin:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Okay, I'm working on it now.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Okay, let's Go Hog Wild!

Here is the latest version of the custom code, you'll need it and the associated GRFs to play.

Windows x64

Windows x32

Mac OSX

ord.nekonex.com / lljk as usual.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

less than three posted:

Okay, let's Go Hog Wild!

Here is the latest version of the custom code, you'll need it and the associated GRFs to play.

Windows x64

Windows x32

Mac OSX

NewStations seems to have been updated - could you update the version on the server or link/host the old version somewhere? http://www.ttdpatch.de/download.html

edit: oops was playing on the linux version, didn't realise everything was in the zips

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 20, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

less than three posted:

Okay, let's Go Hog Wild!

Windows x64

Windows x32

Mac OSX

Is zBase included in this? What other GRFs do I need to run this?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Trains remain to be stupid shits.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

YF19pilot posted:

Is zBase included in this? What other GRFs do I need to run this?

All the GRFs are included in the archive.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
If you're using the OS X version, you will need to `chmod +x` the openttd executable inside the OpenTTD App package. 7z does not preserve unix permissions.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
New game up.

Gimmick: BUILD YOUR OWN TOWN.(tm)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It looks like the cargodest patch is a lot better this time around. Before it wouldn't figure out a network until a train actually arrived at all the stations, but now it's gotten my whole passenger network figured out before my trains have gotten to their stations for the first time.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Can we get a reset please?

edit: yay

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 26, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sincx posted:

Can we get a reset please?

Yep, it's reset.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

What year are you usually resetting?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Darth Llama posted:

What year are you usually resetting?

Whenever somebody says reset. Usually not before 2045 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'd like to put in a vote for switching to 2cc. There's not much strategy with the base trainset, just keep your network small until maglevs and run everything with chimeras.

• Locked thread