Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

codyclarke posted:

Spirit of the Beehive

Maybe my favorite Spanish language film. It's elegant and dream-like, really sensitive and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I just picked up Shock Corridor, Bigger Than Life and Hausu at that Barnes and Noble sale. I can't play Criterion blu-rays because I'm a filthy foreigner, but B&N shipping was only ten bucks so the entire thing was a steal.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
God, 'Lonesome' is great. I always wished more movies were like 'People on a Sunday,' and 'Lonesome' is just a little slicker and sweeter.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Went to the store, debated a lot of obvious choices, threw them all out on a whim for the Eric Rohmer set, of which I had zero knowledge. Just finished my first entry.

loving nailed it. God, I love it when a blind buy works out.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Aorist posted:

Went to the store, debated a lot of obvious choices, threw them all out on a whim for the Eric Rohmer set, of which I had zero knowledge. Just finished my first entry.

Oh yeah, you nailed it. Claire's Knee is, with In the Mood for Love now released, my last serious "I need this on Blu-ray" disc. It's unbelievable looking.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Aorist posted:

QVT posted:

Oh yeah, you nailed it. Claire's Knee is, with In the Mood for Love now released, my last serious "I need this on Blu-ray" disc. It's unbelievable looking.

See and for someone that has never heard of Eric Rohmer, this is the kinda stuff I love seeing posted. Thank you for the heads up! It's good hearing about the less-obvious choices such as this and Spirit of the Beehive.
I now know what to get next sale.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Originally wasn't going to buy anything this sale since I don't have much to spend right now. But my willpower is nothing. Ordered Chungking Express online since it'll probably be my last chance to buy it for less than $80. Going in blind to this one.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

TrixRabbi posted:

Originally wasn't going to buy anything this sale since I don't have much to spend right now. But my willpower is nothing. Ordered Chungking Express online since it'll probably be my last chance to buy it for less than $80. Going in blind to this one.

If it helps at all, I like that movie so much I made it my avatar, so I think you made a good choice there.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I just realized that I have a coupon for this deal (the one that gives you a mystery discount) and while looking to order "When Horror Came to Shochiku" and "Rashomon", both are only 15% off, rather than 50%. Is anyone else getting this currently?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

friendo55 posted:

See and for someone that has never heard of Eric Rohmer[...].
I think that's an interesting example where the `Criterion effect' hasn't happened. For years if the subject was the French Nouvelle Vague, the three names everybody would think of were Godard, Truffaut, and Rohmer. For whatever reason, Godard and Truffaut would still be part of that but Rohmer wouldn't. Random callback to Pennchat from earlier---despite the obvious comparisons to be made between Godard's Bande à Part (1964) and Bonnie and Clyde, Rohmer was the big influence on Penn, and Penn has the protagonist Moseby in Night Moves (1975) comment that watching a Rohmer film is like watching paint dry.

Le Genou de Claire (1970) has already been mentioned and it's great, but Ma Nuit Chez Maud (1969) (My Night at Maud's, the film Rohmer made immediately prior to Claire) and L'Amour L'après-Midi (1972) (originally always Chloe in the Afternoon but now invariably Love in the Afternoon) are the two that I'd consider absolutely essential Rohmer (like Les Quatre Cents Coups (1959) and Jules et Jim (1962) for Truffaut or À Bout de Souffle (1960) and Bande à Part for (early-career) Godard).

I think it's always interesting when Criterion adding a film doesn't immediately catapult a title to the `mainstream film snob' vernacular. Like I would've laid money that Max Ophüls was suddenly going to become a part of everyday online film discussion the same way Jean-Pierre Melville did when Criterion started pushing his films.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

SubG posted:

I think that's an interesting example where the `Criterion effect' hasn't happened. For years if the subject was the French Nouvelle Vague, the three names everybody would think of were Godard, Truffaut, and Rohmer. For whatever reason, Godard and Truffaut would still be part of that but Rohmer wouldn't. Random callback to Pennchat from earlier---despite the obvious comparisons to be made between Godard's Bande à Part (1964) and Bonnie and Clyde, Rohmer was the big influence on Penn, and Penn has the protagonist Moseby in Night Moves (1975) comment that watching a Rohmer film is like watching paint dry.

Le Genou de Claire (1970) has already been mentioned and it's great, but Ma Nuit Chez Maud (1969) (My Night at Maud's, the film Rohmer made immediately prior to Claire) and L'Amour L'après-Midi (1972) (originally always Chloe in the Afternoon but now invariably Love in the Afternoon) are the two that I'd consider absolutely essential Rohmer (like Les Quatre Cents Coups (1959) and Jules et Jim (1962) for Truffaut or À Bout de Souffle (1960) and Bande à Part for (early-career) Godard).

I think it's always interesting when Criterion adding a film doesn't immediately catapult a title to the `mainstream film snob' vernacular. Like I would've laid money that Max Ophüls was suddenly going to become a part of everyday online film discussion the same way Jean-Pierre Melville did when Criterion started pushing his films.

Yeah, it's strange, I've seen Rohmer mentioned every now and then, but I never felt compelled to check him out. Watching him now, the only explanation I can come up with for why he didn't blow up after hitting Criterion is that A) the movies are only available as a fairly sizeable box set, so there's a higher barrier of entry, and B) his films lack the immediately gratifying formal impact of Godard or Truffaut, or of Bergman, Antonioni, and Bresson on the other end of the spectrum. I am only going off of My Night at Maud's here, but I don't think I'd appreciate it as much as I did if I hadn't already explored those other directors first.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

SubG posted:

Stumbled on an unexpected Ophüls shout out recently: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59451

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Glad to see someone discovering Rohmer. I think the big distinction between him and Godard/Truffaut in terms of popularity is that the latter two made films that were at least partially about the medium itself whereas Rohmer's are much more about the characters as people. It's much easier to get broad appeal from film lovers when your films are clearly steeped in the cinematic tradition whether accepting it or rejecting it.

It sucks that Rohmer's 80s and 90s films are unavailable in the US, they're really great.

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?

Twin Cinema posted:

I just realized that I have a coupon for this deal (the one that gives you a mystery discount) and while looking to order "When Horror Came to Shochiku" and "Rashomon", both are only 15% off, rather than 50%. Is anyone else getting this currently?

Yeah, getting this on a lot of titles actually. I added about 6 movies to my cart the day the sale started and then walked away because that was too much. Came back today and a bunch of the movies I had in my cart are no longer on sale. Kinda bummed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sexily posted:

Yeah, getting this on a lot of titles actually. I added about 6 movies to my cart the day the sale started and then walked away because that was too much. Came back today and a bunch of the movies I had in my cart are no longer on sale. Kinda bummed.

It looks like they took pre-orders off the sale.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

GrandpaPants posted:

Looks like my pre-orders all got in before they changed the price. Here's hoping they don't cancel the order.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I made an order (with a preorder in it) and didn't get an email, AND nothing is showing up in my recent order history. Did that happen to anyone else? This was a few days ago.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brian Fellows posted:

I made an order (with a preorder in it) and didn't get an email, AND nothing is showing up in my recent order history. Did that happen to anyone else? This was a few days ago.

I got an e-mail saying that my order was ready to ship sometime in December (it waits until all pre-orders can be filled, I assume). I ordered on the first day of the sale, so maybe they got wise.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I got an e-mail saying that my order was ready to ship sometime in December (it waits until all pre-orders can be filled, I assume). I ordered on the first day of the sale, so maybe they got wise.

I also pre-ordered Rashomon, Brazil, and When Horror Came To Shochiku on day 1, and so far so good. My order is still intact and is ready to ship December 4th.

As far as discovering Rohmer goes, I only started really taking movies more seriously about 5-6 years ago, so I was late to the Criterion party. I think Aorist said it best that you only see his films in one large boxset, so not only is it a bit daunting, but trying to catch up on so many Criterion titles it can be easy to 'wait until later' or even skip over completely. On top of not seeing much discussion about it here, Rohmer just happens to be one, for me, that I've overlooked.

But this is half the fun for me. With so many ways of discovering film - the instant availability, film festivals, internet discussion, lists and blogs - there's an endless supply of great movies to be found.

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?

GrandpaPants posted:

Probably for the best in regards to my wallet. I held back and only ordered Shallow Grave and Days of Heaven.

Still, there are some that aren't pre-orders that aren't on sale anymore. Wonder why that is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Picked up Fanny & Alexander for thirty bucks, gonna sell my DVD copy with Royal Tenenbaums so I can upgrade there, too. And then I get paid in the middle of the month. When does this end?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Brian Fellows posted:

They were having power outages from the storm. I finally got an email for the thing I ordered that went missing on the 1st a few hours ago. For All Mankind and The Seventh Seal so far. Thinking about Weekend (Haigh) and The Sweet Smell of Success.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

When does this end?
19th.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
My order came through a couple of days later, glad I just stood pat on that.

I'm so used to Amazon immediately emailing me and shipping hours later that when someone takes more than five minutes I get antsy. Which is weird, since I've been buying things online since the early days of AOL free-month discs...

I'm glad my (way too big) order went through, but I forgot how obnoxious the required "Ship in as few packages as possible" option is when you're jumping on a preorder that doesn't come out until December.

PhunkMonkey
Apr 15, 2001
I grabbed Rosemary's Baby and The Game today thanks to the sale. Any opinions on Seijun Suzuki's Tokyo Drifter or Branded to Kill? I almost snagged those as well but they would have been a blind buy. I typically enjoy 60s era film but I am unfamiliar with these. Good buy? Bad buy?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

PhunkMonkey posted:

I grabbed Rosemary's Baby and The Game today thanks to the sale. Any opinions on Seijun Suzuki's Tokyo Drifter or Branded to Kill? I almost snagged those as well but they would have been a blind buy. I typically enjoy 60s era film but I am unfamiliar with these. Good buy? Bad buy?

I enjoy them, though I'd recommend watching them first rather than blind buying.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

PhunkMonkey posted:

Branded to Kill is the better movie, it's a little more comprehensible and funnier but visually not as interesting as Tokyo Drifter.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Cacator posted:

Branded to Kill is the better movie, it's a little more comprehensible and funnier but visually not as interesting as Tokyo Drifter.
I think Branded to Kill is the better film, but I think Tokyo Drifer is way more accessible---it's visually inventive, but the story is pretty straightforward. Branded to Kill's story, on the other hand, is borderline incomprehensible even upon rewatching and, I suspect, is not intended to be taken literally---I think we're supposed to take the film as the pop culture fantasy a small time crook retreats into to cope with his sense of inadequacy.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I take it from some of the posts here B&N does this sale every year?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Officer Sandvich posted:

I take it from some of the posts here B&N does this sale every year?

Twice a year. It's poison.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cacator posted:

Twice a year. It's poison.

Seriously. Look what happened last time.

:smithicide:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I've actually shown restraint this time, probably because I couldn't get to a B&N right when it started. I ordered In The Mood For Love on BRD and that's it...so far.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

PhunkMonkey posted:

Branded to Kill is basically bizarro Drive.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

WickedIcon posted:

Branded to Kill is basically bizarro Drive.
I'm really not seeing it.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

SubG posted:

I'm really not seeing it.

I don't remember him driving anywhere in Branded to Kill. So there's that?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, what the heck?!

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
How's the Samurai Trilogy? Thinking of picking it up along with the Royal Tenenbaums, High and Low, and the Seventh Seal.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
They're all really exceptional samurai films. The first is my favorite but they all have great music, cinematography, and sword fights.

PhunkMonkey
Apr 15, 2001
It dawned on me today that I am unaware of any full length animation films being put out by Criterion. A quick search revealed that they did release Akira on Laserdisc in the 90s. Any hope of this getting a Bluray release someday? I'd really like an animated film in the collection and Akira would indeed be a fine addition.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

PhunkMonkey posted:

It dawned on me today that I am unaware of any full length animation films being put out by Criterion. A quick search revealed that they did release Akira on Laserdisc in the 90s. Any hope of this getting a Bluray release someday? I'd really like an animated film in the collection and Akira would indeed be a fine addition.

It's not criterion, but The Illusionist is a recent animated film that's beautiful and has a great story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PhunkMonkey posted:

I don't think animation at Criterion will happen unless it's Fantastic Mr. Fox or Ralph Bakshi.