Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LackinPants! posted:

I tried rotating it but wait, does using both actually make a difference?

Edit: Good god you're right. Next time I really should read that manu... oh.

Do manuals even cover qte's? It's been ages since I bothered to look at one but I don't remember them covering stuff like that.

And even if they did put the manual in the box it wouldn't have helped you anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Why do developers even put QTE's in? I get that it's supposed to be all "hurr it's so it doesn't break immersion during cutscenes" but dammit some of us use that time to put the controller down and pick up the bong.

Has anyone, ever, anywhere had anything positive to say about QTE's?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Miracle posted:

Why do developers even put QTE's in? I get that it's supposed to be all "hurr it's so it doesn't break immersion during cutscenes" but dammit some of us use that time to put the controller down and pick up the bong.

Yes, many people, frequently. God of War is constantly praised for using them for example. Any time a game is released without them you have reviews which slam it for having non-interactive cutscenes.

It's basically a no-win situation. If you don't include interactive cutscenes you get slammed for making a "movie, not a game." If you include them you get slammed for "QTEs." If you don't include cutscenes at all then you get slammed for having "no pauses in the game." Someone is always going to be unhappy

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

The Miracle posted:

RE4 was pretty restrained about using them, I thought. I always thought the finishing moves in God of War were pretty boring after a while, though. They're like fatalities in Mortal Kombat. The first time you do it, it's pretty neat. Every time after that, though :smithicide:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Bovineicide posted:

RE4 was pretty restrained about using them, I thought. I always thought the finishing moves in God of War were pretty boring after a while, though. They're like fatalities in Mortal Kombat. The first time you do it, it's pretty neat. Every time after that, though :smithicide:

Those loving boulders though. I assume everybody died at least once to them.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically a no-win situation. If you don't include interactive cutscenes you get slammed for making a "movie, not a game." If you include them you get slammed for "QTEs." If you don't include cutscenes at all then you get slammed for having "no pauses in the game." Someone is always going to be unhappy

I guess that makes sense. I'd love an "Autocomplete QTE Y/N" toggle without having to put the game on Amateur setting, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Miracle posted:

I guess that makes sense. I'd love an "Autocomplete QTE Y/N" toggle without having to put the game on Amateur setting, though.

Same here. I don't mind them that much but it'd be great for replays to just be able to skip them. (Especially when it means you can't skip a cutscene because it has a QTE in it.)

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Having finished the three main campaigns I found myself saying "WTF" a lot. I had fun, but some of Capcom's choices just make zero sense to me. Like killing off a very like able character in Piers. Or the ridiculous multi-tiered boss fight with Simmons(Zombie t-Rex will never be topped). And some of the general fuckery in Jake's campaign.

Still it pretty much falls in line with the rest of the series as far as being silly but entertaining. Now to screw around with Agent Hunt.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Lucid Delusion posted:

I had fun, but some of Capcom's choices just make zero sense to me. Like killing off a very like able character in Piers.

Man, that happened offscreen and he had just been injected with a virus. That's like code for 'see you in RE7.'

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

Bovineicide posted:

I feel like this is the important bit with all the QTEs. RE4 made the rules very clear early on how they work and what to expect. In RE6 it's all over the place as to what counts as an event and what won't.

It's also just really poor with explaining anything but that's not due to QTE but more a game fault itself.

Despite my bellyaching, I feel there's a kernel of a good idea here. I also like the concept of a very length game you can tackle however and wherever you choose. It should just be, you know, more fun.

To be fair, I got this as the freebie from a buy 2 get 1 and feel it'll maintain a bit of value before a flip. A value that will drop the day I decide to hock it.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Solomonic posted:

Man, that happened offscreen and he had just been injected with a virus. That's like code for 'see you in RE7.'

I wish but Capcom has a bad track record for following up on things like that. Plus they seem to enjoy having a revolving door of partners for Chris.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm just surprised Piers wasn't a woman. Pretty much every Resident Evil has been about a male and a female soldier teaming up.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The devs said they made Piers a man so that they could show Chris venting his anger on him. I guess they didn't want to go through the RE5 drama with sexism instead of racism this time.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Speedball posted:

I'm just surprised Piers wasn't a woman. Pretty much every Resident Evil has been about a male and a female soldier teaming up.

Maybe they're trying for a different audience. :v:

"Enjoy the hot manly drama that is Chris’ campaign"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExcL3hlBOU I wish this could be done with every RE character.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExcL3hlBOU I wish this could be done with every RE character.

Isn't there a Leon one as well? Oh, and Krauser!

Yes, yes there is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqcfM8vEQpI

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgvI8lZY0-U

Oh my god.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Policenaut posted:

Oh my god.
Is this actually RE1.5, or is someone messing with me?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The person on the missing person poster at 3:28 is Claire.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's Proto-Resident Evil 2? Huh. I don't remember those ape-things...another thing cut, I guess.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I completely forgot Leon's parter in 2 was originally going to be a different character. Elsa Walker, we never knew ye.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So if Elsa Walker was supposed to be a college student, why'd she get the body armor? Did she change into it at the RPD?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

So if Elsa Walker was supposed to be a college student, why'd she get the body armor? Did she change into it at the RPD?

Judging from the concept art in the Resident Evil Archives book, she was apparently a professional race car driver. Clearly, Nascar is hardcore in RE-land.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I really want a return to the RE: Outbreak style games. It was like monster hunter meets resident evil on some level.

That needs to happen.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So... is someone trying to piece it all together into a playable game, or what?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Crowetron posted:

Judging from the concept art in the Resident Evil Archives book, she was apparently a professional race car driver. Clearly, Nascar is hardcore in RE-land.

Elza was a biker so I think her outfit was supposed to be like a motocross suit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Krad posted:

So... is someone trying to piece it all together into a playable game, or what?

I got the video from a friend of mine who's beyond crazy for RE2, like "can play it in his head" crazy, and he's telling me that it looks that's what this dude is doing.

From what people have gathered, this guy somehow has one of the RE1.5 beta discs. No idea how he got one, but he's going above and beyond just piecing it all together into something playable. Some of the rooms in the footage and in the YouTube description have supposedly never been seen before, like not even in PlayStation Museum's "haha look what we have, suckers" footage, which some people think the dude may be actually creating some rooms from scratch to fill in the gaps. On top of that, it looks like the game is also being translated to have Multi-7 language support, because the 1.5 beta is supposedly only in Japanese but the video goes to great lengths to show Elza describing the barricade in a gamut of different languages.

It's obviously being worked on from the beta and it's rough around the edges. There's no voice acting and those gorillas at the end just run endlessly into Leon during the You Died screen, but if this guy isn't just loving with people then we're apparently going to get more information on Christmas. Whether that's a release date or just a date to announce what's going on, I don't know. He's playing it incredibly smart by not going public with like anything beyond a YT account and a video, so we don't have to worry about another PS Museum "the internet made me sad :(" thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Speedball posted:

One of the planned features that didn't end up making it into RE2 was being able to acquire body armor, which was gradually destructible over time as you took hits. Without the armor, she's just in a motocross racing suit.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
That video made me realize how much I miss the old footstep sound effects. There's just something comforting about the old clip clop sound.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoever thought up the final boss fights of Resident Evil 6 deserve some sort of medal, if not for variety then for how varied my reactions were.

Leon's is absolutely hilarious from start to finish. From Zombie Lion to Zombie T-Rex to Zombie Butterfly to Zombie Giant Spider I could not stop laughing.

Chris' is cool only because of BOW Piers, I mean drat, that's a better story-telling moment than Resident Evil probably deserves with how that entire situation is handled.

Jake's was fun and awesome. God drat it, thinking up fist fighting with Ustanak was amazing and god dammit it was the most fun and awesome part of the game. Just give me a Resident Evil game where Jake fist fights various huge monsters and that'd be heaven for me.

I still haven't done Ada's, but drat for all of RE6's faults it sure is made up with the good stuff being REALLY GOOD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Leon's is absolutely hilarious from start to finish. From Zombie Lion to Zombie T-Rex to Zombie Butterfly to Zombie Giant Spider I could not stop laughing.

Related to Leon's boss it's not just a zombie lion. It's a zombie lion with a minigun growing out of its back.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Len posted:

Related to Leon's boss it's not just a zombie lion. It's a zombie lion with a minigun growing out of its back.

A mini gun that shoots bones at you.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

Thanks to the unlockable figures, I learned that the minigun is actually Simmons' face

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Crowetron posted:

Thanks to the unlockable figures, I learned that the minigun is actually Simmons' face

False. If you look very closely you'll notice that it is Garcia Hotspur and his pal

Once you realize this the game gets about 8.75 times better than it previously was.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I just rented RE6 and uhh, I'm kinda lost here.

Is melee better than bullets? Seems so as some zombies take way to many bullets.

Also anyone wanna carry my rear end in mercs? GT is AchyHippo, hopefully I'll have live by then.

And how do I buy skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Is melee better than bullets? Seems so as some zombies take way to many bullets.

Also anyone wanna carry my rear end in mercs? GT is AchyHippo, hopefully I'll have live by then.

It's the same as RE5 and 4 basically.

Shoot them in the head to stun them. Get close and you'll do a special melee attack which is usually an instant kill or massively damaging.

Quick Shot will stun them, but in weaker way and with a weaker attack. Use it when you don't have time to line up a shot. (Or against quick moving enemies.) If an enemy has a weapon you can Quick Shot them and then melee to use their own weapon against them for massive damage.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 5, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Alteisen posted:

And how do I buy skills.

I'm currently terrible at mercs but feel free to invite me if you want a coop partner for any of the campaigns. It looks like we're already xbox friends from some other game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My brother and I are trying to replay the game on professional, but it turned out the last playthrough had me on Veteran and him on Normal, and now only he is on Professional and I'm still on Veteran. How can we both start the game again on Professional, with no additional weapons? Why would it not have us both be on the same difficulty?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

RBA Starblade posted:

My brother and I are trying to replay the game on professional, but it turned out the last playthrough had me on Veteran and him on Normal, and now only he is on Professional and I'm still on Veteran. How can we both start the game again on Professional, with no additional weapons? Why would it not have us both be on the same difficulty?

Maybe try going into a random game first and change the difficulty that shows up in the Quick Match screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

RBA Starblade posted:

You need to reach a save point in single player or as the host on the difficulty you want to change it when you're the guest in an online game. Start Leon chapter 3, and the save point is literally turn around walk 15 feet and throw a lever.