Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
There are a couple tracks up on YouTube from a recent show in Springfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpdQyFPUtHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYR0PvDnOqw

Really liking Rush The Face, both in title and in sound. I guess it'll be one of the slower tracks on the record though, because it certainly doesn't sound like the fastest or heaviest Clutch material I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seafood28
Nov 14, 2007
Rush The Face seems like it could be a cool album closer. Here is another new one, "Crucial Velocity". Pretty bad-rear end song, with some sweet funky break downs. Can't wait for the new album, I loving love Clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJUCR9ZsM5k

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
Saw Sourvein, Weedeater, and St. Vitus tonight...was awesome.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zy4sFv92QA

35 minutes, trippy, and heavy.

Found on Advanced Demonology :nws:.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 19, 2012

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

Agustin Cienfuegos posted:

Saw Sourvein, Weedeater, and St. Vitus tonight...was awesome.

Do you know who was drumming for weedeater?

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008

Thalamus posted:

Do you know who was drumming for weedeater?

They had three, a baldish, red-beard guy, then the drummer from St. Vitus, then the drummer from Sourvein. I was wondering what they'd do after I read about him leaving. (Henry Vasquez from St. Vitus is a nice drummer, just watch out for sticks whizzing into the crowd.)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

a baldish, red-beard guy

That's my friend Nick.

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008

venutolo posted:

That's my friend Nick.

I knew I had read somewhere who it was, but couldn't remember where. Me being un-musical I always wonder how hard it is to learn a bunch of songs real fast.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I knew I had read somewhere who it was, but couldn't remember where. Me being un-musical I always wonder how hard it is to learn a bunch of songs real fast.

It's very easy to learn songs like Weedeater's (along with most music) quickly.

Music generally follows the same pattern. Metal does change up these conventions, but it's a lot of the same poo poo repeated.

Intro (which is usually a shortened chorus)
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Bridge
Chorus
Repeat chorus 1/2 step up
Outro

You just need to learn the important cues like where to be quiet, stops in the music, clean parts, and solos. A couple quick listens of Weedeater's setlist and you can bullshit your way through a set. Most people (I would, because I play drums) don't pay attention to that poo poo because they just want to see Dixie play bass.

For tech death/prog metal it's way more tough. There are a lot of odd time signatures and weird poo poo happening so, depending on the musician's prior-knowledge of the material and skill it would take a while.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 19, 2012

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's very easy to learn songs like Weedeater's (along with most music) quickly. You just need to learn the important cues like where to be quiet, stops in the music, clean parts, and solos. A couple quick listens of Weedeater's setlist and you can bullshit your way through a set. Most people (I would, because I play drums) don't pay attention to that poo poo because they just want to see Dixie play bass.

For tech death/prog metal it's way more tough. There are a lot of odd time signatures and weird poo poo happening so, depending on the musician's prior-knowledge and skill it would take a while.

Cool, cool. Yeah, I could totally see that being the case. Just hit those crash cymbals a lot and you'll be ok...lol.

And watching Dixie play bass is pretty fun. Also whiskey.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

me your dad posted:

So has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zy4sFv92QA

35 minutes, trippy, and heavy.

Found on Advanced Demonology :nws:.

Everybody should probably click on this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Apologies if this has been posted here before, but I just came across it. Basically one of the guys who runs Doomantia, a dedicated doom metal info and reviews site underwent heart surgery and has a massive medical bill to pay off. To help him do this, they've put together a 4 hour doom compilation available off Bandcamp for $7 USD. The compilation looks pretty good, and it goes to a good cause, so I thought it would be worth posting here.

Also any vinyl fans who missed out the first time, Southern Lord have second presses of the Dopesmoker reissue available now, on blue vinyl with a metallic jacket, or purple vinyl with a regular jacket. These look really awesome, I wouldn't hang about waiting though as I reckon they'll go pretty quick.

OK enough of sounding like I'm just trying to sell you things! Did anyone hear the new Eyehategod 7"? Releasing a 45 second sample online was really loving stupid. Is it any good?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Can anyone recommend some really dirty stuff along the lines of Boris' Pink and Greenmachine's Archive of Rotten Blues? I've really been enjoying the messiness of the riffs on these albums.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Velocirocktor posted:

Can anyone recommend some really dirty stuff along the lines of Boris' Pink and Greenmachine's Archive of Rotten Blues? I've really been enjoying the messiness of the riffs on these albums.

Check out Sonic Flower if you don't already know them, basically Church of Misery without a vocalist. They only put out one short album though unfortunately.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The new Sword album is out there for listening.

I like it so far but they're definitely latching on to the sound and structure they made with Warp Riders. It's just not grabbing me like that one did. They're definitely still listening to Hawkwind while they write, I just wish they didn't stick to a formula so hard.

It's worth hearing though

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

I like it so far but they're definitely latching on to the sound and structure they made with Warp Riders. It's just not grabbing me like that one did. They're definitely still listening to Hawkwind while they write, I just wish they didn't stick to a formula so hard.

See, and I felt just the opposite. I mean, yeah, it's definitely more Hawkwind than either Winters or Gods, but overall I feel like this is a much stronger album than Warp Riders was.

I will admit that I don't really like Seven Sisters or Hawks and Serpents however.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

Thalamus posted:

Check out Sonic Flower if you don't already know them, basically Church of Misery without a vocalist. They only put out one short album though unfortunately.

This rules, thanks. Don't know why I didn't think to look for anything related to bands like Church of Misery, I had no idea they had a side project.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Morbid Florist posted:

Is the rest of the album like the title track? Judging from that tune, I can safely ignore the Sword from now on. I thought Warp Riders was a completely lame retread of their older albums. The songs even sounded bad live, especially compared to the old ones.

I also don't hear even a hint of Hawkwind in their music, apart from the goofy sci-fi lyrics. Where are you getting that comparison from?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Juaguocio posted:

I also don't hear even a hint of Hawkwind in their music, apart from the goofy sci-fi lyrics. Where are you getting that comparison from?

Definitely; Hawkwind was more spacey and drifted a lot over droney repetition; they had tons of horns and group vocals. The Sword is much more driving, and changes up the riffs a heck of a lot more often. I still thought Warp Riders was pretty cool, though.

e: Holy poo poo this is hard to watch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUOPr4HTlU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
boop bee bo beep boo beep BOOP beep bop beep boop

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Thanks to whoever was talking about Asteroid. Asteroid II is an excellent album. This beginning riff on the song "Karma" has been hanging around in my head since I first heard it several weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8phTGH-apRQ&feature=relmfu

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Juaguocio posted:

Is the rest of the album like the title track? Judging from that tune, I can safely ignore the Sword from now on. I thought Warp Riders was a completely lame retread of their older albums. The songs even sounded bad live, especially compared to the old ones.

Hawkwindy lyrics, sabbath musically.

If you dind't like Warp Riders you won't like this.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Morbid Florist posted:

Hawkwindy lyrics, sabbath musically.

If you dind't like Warp Riders you won't like this.

They have the bluesy riffs, yeah, but they lack all the darkness that makes Sabbath great.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Listening to The Sword always makes me want a '70's model Dodge van with a spaceship landing on some unknown planet or a Frank Frazetta painting airbrushed on the side or it and a mattress in the back with wall to wall black light posters. I'll always adore this band for that.

:2bong:

Hell yeeeeeeeeah...

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I really wish they went more in the direction of the song Apocryphon, it's the only one that really stands out to me on the album. I'm hoping these last two (Warp Riders and Apocryphon) are just stumbling points where they are trying to progress their sound but they haven't quite got it yet. I don't think they wanted to get stuck in repeating the first two albums over and over. I like the direction they are going, but they just aren't there yet.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
For people in CT: Witch Mountain, Castle and Sun Dagger are playing a free show in New Haven on Oct. 31st. It's at a place called BAR.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

So I recently stumbled across an album called Tumuli Shroomaroom, by the band Acrimony. It seems like it's a bit of an unknown (or at least under appreciated) release, but I think it should be up there as one of the best stoner releases of the 90s.

http://youtu.be/gAhyAh7IzIs

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Thalamus posted:

So I recently stumbled across an album called Tumuli Shroomaroom, by the band Acrimony. It seems like it's a bit of an unknown (or at least under appreciated) release, but I think it should be up there as one of the best stoner releases of the 90s.

Great album. I've always liked the track you posted, along with "Motherslug" and "Heavy Feather."

There were a lot of good releases in the late 90s and the turn of the millennium, right around the time that "stoner rock" became a catchphrase. Lowrider have always been one of my favourites for straight-up Kyuss worship, and Sgt Sunshine take the Kyuss thing further with interesting Latin influences.

Speaking of Kyuss and Latin influences, Ciudad De Brahman by Los Natas has been in constant rotation for me lately. Their combination of desert rock riffs, mellow psych interludes and melancholy vocal harmonies is really wonderful. Ciudad lacks the Billy Anderson production of their later releases, but it still sounds fantastic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Lento LP owns, they really upped their game.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Thalamus posted:

You may want to give Sigirya a look. It's substantially the same line-up as Acrimony IIRC.

Also Wo Fat have got a Kickstarter up to try and fund a full European tour built around their Roadburn and Desertfest shows. Not sure how many Eurogoons are in the thread and might consider pitching in, but I certainly will be once I shuffle some money off my Visa.

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wofat/wo-fat-is-going-to-europe

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So, Honor Found in Decay. I waited for my preorder to arrive to hear this one. So far I am finding it pretty difficult to get into. I expected it to be dense, but I think the fact that it is pretty mellow by their standards, and the fact that it moves at a slow pace contributes to this. I like the sounds overall, but Bleeding the Pigs, for example, is totally passing me by at the moment. The first 3 tracks are totally fantastic though. Hopefully with repeat listens I'll really get into it. I don't think Neurosis records are supposed to be instant anyway.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

nomapple posted:

So, Honor Found in Decay. I waited for my preorder to arrive to hear this one. So far I am finding it pretty difficult to get into. I expected it to be dense, but I think the fact that it is pretty mellow by their standards, and the fact that it moves at a slow pace contributes to this. I like the sounds overall, but Bleeding the Pigs, for example, is totally passing me by at the moment. The first 3 tracks are totally fantastic though. Hopefully with repeat listens I'll really get into it. I don't think Neurosis records are supposed to be instant anyway.

Agreed on the difficulty. My Heart for Deliverance is incredible, but besides that I am pretty underwhelmed after a few listens.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

My pre-order was delayed by Sandy, so I have no idea when it will get here. I'm also waiting to hear it until I have it in my hands. I really liked the only track I've listened to so far, At The Well, and I enjoy their more recent work just as much as their earlier heavier stuff. I also really like Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till's mellow acoustic projects, so I'm expecting to at the very least enjoy this album, even if it isn't super heavy. They've never put out a bad album imo, and I don't expect them to start now.

I'm a little late to the game, but I also picked up Ancestor's In Dreams and Time yesterday, and man that album is a beast. I'm glad they got rid of the noodley organ stuff from the last album and put in a bigger variety of synth sounds and effects. The songwriting is also much more focused, and the production is a big step up.

Thalamus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 31, 2012

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
So what ended up happening to Weedeater's drummer? Still not with them? I always loved their sound, but couldn't get past the super raw vocals.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

flamingdawg posted:

You may want to give Sigirya a look. It's substantially the same line-up as Acrimony IIRC.

Also Wo Fat have got a Kickstarter up to try and fund a full European tour built around their Roadburn and Desertfest shows. Not sure how many Eurogoons are in the thread and might consider pitching in, but I certainly will be once I shuffle some money off my Visa.

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wofat/wo-fat-is-going-to-europe

Thanks for hooking me up, I've asked if they planned to visit other countries besides Holland and the UK I'll share the answer. Also chipped in enough to get a vinyl. Wo Fat and YOB are my two favorite bands that I've discovered through this thread, make sure you give them a listen if you like bluesy fuzzy sludge.

edit: answer came quick:

"Right on, man! Thank you for your kind words. I am pretty sure that we will be playing in Paris when we're in Europe next April. We're doing the tour with Abrahma, who is from Paris, and I think that's probably where we'll fly into and out of.
Thanks for helping us out. Maybe we can have a beer together next spring.
Cheers,
Kent
Wo Fat"

This is loving great.

White Rabbit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 1, 2012

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm really loving the new Neurosis so far. I actually enjoy the slower, more folk (if you can call it that) approach they've been taking lately.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm really loving the new Neurosis so far. I actually enjoy the slower, more folk (if you can call it that) approach they've been taking lately.

Well then you may want to check out Steve Von Till's solo stuff if you haven't yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFO4GFvj9IM

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I've been listening to Torche--Meanderthal and I love it. "Sludge Pop" is the closest I can describe it, like a balls out Foo Fighters. Besides the new Baroness, are there any other bands out there that resemble Torche? They are almost a missing link between sludge and more guitar oriented indie rock.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

amplifier worship posted:

Well then you may want to check out Steve Von Till's solo stuff if you haven't yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFO4GFvj9IM

This song (and everything by Neurosis save for the one song Locust Star) pretty much encapsulates my dislike for anything neurot: it's all so pretentious beyond belief. Easy and fake depth everywhere.

I consider myself an Isis fan though, so maybe I've got no leg to stand on with the above opinion.

For content: Serpentine Path is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

rxcowboy posted:

So I've been listening to Torche--Meanderthal and I love it. "Sludge Pop" is the closest I can describe it, like a balls out Foo Fighters. Besides the new Baroness, are there any other bands out there that resemble Torche? They are almost a missing link between sludge and more guitar oriented indie rock.

Yeah, I feel the same, but I started with Harmonicraft. Really hope there are other bands that have this cool turn on normal sludgy stuff.