Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Was cranky and pseudo-trolling, sorry.

Making a rad chuck roast that I am roasting atop marrow bones in the oven. Once it is done I am going to slather a thick chunk of hot, quivering bone marrow onto each slice and serving with mashed potatoes. Which will be topped with a red wine-marrow gravy.

I think there is a reason cold weather makes me fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Halalelujah posted:

Was cranky and pseudo-trolling, sorry.

Making a rad chuck roast that I am roasting atop marrow bones in the oven. Once it is done I am going to slather a thick chunk of hot, quivering bone marrow onto each slice and serving with mashed potatoes. Which will be topped with a red wine-marrow gravy.

I think there is a reason cold weather makes me fat.
My word, I'd eat the gently caress out of that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sweat poteto posted:

Most people don't remember (let alone give a crap about) the egg episode

Never forget. :911:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Here, let me save you the effort.

You have a very inaccurate idea of white trash cooking. I look forward to edumacating you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Is SOS considered white trash? I don't identify as white trash, but I did grow up in a rural area, and we were barely lower middle class and everything came out of a box or was smothered in gravy and ohgod mom PREHEAT THAT PAN BEFORE YOU PUT THE BURGER IN IT :smith:

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Is SOS considered white trash? I don't identify as white trash, but I did grow up in a rural area, and we were barely lower middle class and everything came out of a box or was smothered in gravy and ohgod mom PREHEAT THAT PAN BEFORE YOU PUT THE BURGER IN IT :smith:

SOS is considered to be enlisted military or blue collar worker food in my experience. Some call that white trash, I just call it a working families belly filler. The elements for good food are all there, honestly it could be worked into a decent course in any restaurant given a few tweaks from marketing.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I'm curious as to what you consider white trash cooking, bartolimu.

To me, that means meatloaf with ketchup, hamburger helper, and spaghetti noodles with packets of brown gravy. All served with a side of boxed macaroni and cheese.

I guess I equate it with low effort, low budget meals.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

bartolimu posted:

Not 100%, no. I like the Doh004 winning clause (pending Admin approval and the agreement of mods of the forums targeted for chickencheese proselytization), it properly ensures his Internet fame at our expense. What I don't like is your idea for Ricola winning, which if we face facts we have to acknowledge as virtually guaranteed. That strikes me as having two wrongs - continuing to fail at egg consumption and being a bit more combative than is the social norm in a thread - make a right. If there's one thing my mama taught me, it's that two wrongs don't make a right. Can you, in your infinite Viking/Aryan wisdom, come up with another consequence? I agree with the general aesthetic of not truly punishing either combatant.
I will try to think something up as a prize for Ricola, still in the non-punishment category.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

You have a very inaccurate idea of white trash cooking. I look forward to edumacating you.
I look forward to you learning me good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When I think of white trash cooking I think of "shrimp newburg" that is actually shrimp boiled in a can of shrimp soup poured over badly cooked white rice. Fancy eatin' tonight, yall

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

How would one go about doing that?
For example, I've signed up for an ICSA and a NICSA. For the NICSA, I'd leave the door pretty wide open. For the ICSA, I'd demand that folk make everything from scratch, and not use like pre-packaged ingredients of any kind. Like, I'd not spaz if either group were to use a dried herb blend, or a spice mix or something, but I would tut-tut a contestant on ICSA for using jarred salsa or something.

Obviously, it's going to be difficult to judge each one completely objectively, but I'd say don't leave the judging open to a vote, but to a judge (or judges) who actually are aware of (and will fairly interpret) the fact that the two entries should be weighed in context of the person making them.

Or, just shut up and make congee and eat it. It's too cold out to care this much about anything else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'm excited for the callout competition, and I don't think it's a guarantee that Ricola will win like you guys seem to. He fucks up, too.

It's completely unreasonable to keep bringing up the egg thing, though. All it does is drive a contributing member of the forums away. At this point it's at least as bad as croat's two wives or square plates or anything else. Grow up.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

I will try to think something up as a prize for Ricola, still in the non-punishment category.

If I win then the chickencheese aspic with onion and pepper dipping areas and mornay crumblefoam thread goes on a reunion tour.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mediaphage posted:

...square plates...

I really like my plates - they fit perfectly in my cupboard, they go in the oven, and they're rational from a space usage optimization perspective..

:(

Never understood the hate of them!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If I win then the chickencheese aspic with onion and pepper dipping areas and mornay crumblefoam thread goes on a reunion tour.
Bart?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

I'm excited for the callout competition, and I don't think it's a guarantee that Ricola will win like you guys seem to. He fucks up, too.

It's completely unreasonable to keep bringing up the egg thing, though. All it does is drive a contributing member of the forums away. At this point it's at least as bad as croat's two wives or square plates or anything else. Grow up.

Agreed.

And to dogpile on, re square plates: HH, they're annoying because round plates do not need an orientation, whereas square plates have to have an edge parallel to the edge of the dining table - that constraint is annoying.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Square plates rule gently caress the haters.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh I like square plates, but weren't they a bannable topic for a while?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Agreed.

And to dogpile on, re square plates: HH, they're annoying because round plates do not need an orientation, whereas square plates have to have an edge parallel to the edge of the dining table - that constraint is annoying.

So the four placement options are too few to enable people to arrange their carefully plated meal ... Just so ... That it maximizes the eating experience?

That is just exhibiting a level of OCD that transcends anal retentive and comes out on the other side... This is positively in the general area of actively inserting objects into the rectum and holding on to them tight, because of angst of letting go.

Let's call that a reverse squirrel syndrome.

There must be other reasons than this!

Do people feel the same about cutting boards? What about coasters? Pillows?

I mean - does everything has to be round to avoid having such a sharp corner that one might hurt oneself?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I love plates equally!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Happy Hat posted:

This is positively in the general area of actively inserting objects into the rectum and holding on to them tight, because of angst of letting go.

Let's call that a reverse squirrel syndrome.

I love you.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Do people feel the same about cutting boards? What about coasters? Pillows?

Cuttings boards should be rectangular, as you don't want the space between the board and the counter edge as depicted by the black arrow to ever get any food you're cutting on it.

Coasters should be round, unless you have square glasses.

Pillows should be rectangular, so as to align properly with the top edge of the bed and to prevent a similar empty space as depicted by the black arrow in the above image.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Happy Hat posted:

That is just exhibiting a level of OCD that transcends anal retentive and comes out on the other side...
So, oral retentive?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Cuttings boards should be rectangular, as you don't want the space between the board and the counter edge as depicted by the black arrow to ever get any food you're cutting on it.

Coasters should be round, unless you have square glasses.

Pillows should be rectangular, so as to align properly with the top edge of the bed and to prevent a similar empty space as depicted by the black arrow in the above image.

WHO THINKS ABOUT THIS

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think the objection to square plates is at least partly aesthetic and thus subjective. I don't love them but I don't hate them either. I am such a sensible, moderate fellow.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I nominate Dino as part of a judging panel

He is the one person with the sufficient compassion, moral backbone and culinary aptitude to judge this, if not objectively, then fairly.

Then on top of that I would nominate two more judges - one from the camp of Ricola and one from the chicken cheese camp, let the combatants decide for themselves.

If the two supporting judges disagree, Dino decides.

That would ensure a fair bias with respect to the individual capabilities of the combatants..

That or telling Ric that he only can use his penis to stir (stripping a ladle to it, don't be silly!!!).

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

I like it! No matter who wins, the forums get a taste of the best we have to offer.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat is the best poster.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ricola could be made to post the awful tattoo he talks about but refuses to post.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Ricola could be made to post the awful tattoo he talks about but refuses to post.

How could you call ducksword awful what is wrong with you?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Has he never posted it? I definitely saw enough of it on IRC....

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Has he never posted it? I definitely saw enough of it on IRC....

I've posted it before, I think.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I nominate Dino as part of a judging panel
He is the one person with the sufficient compassion, moral backbone and culinary aptitude to judge this, if not objectively, then fairly.

gently caress you, rear end in a top hat! I've got SHITLOADS of compassion and moral backbone, you degenerate Viking!

(I second this suggestion).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think you probably want one of the judges to be someone who spends their entire life being as objective and unbiased as possible. Some sort of scientist would do the job.

Maybe there's someone who frequents these forums who would fit the bill.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I think you probably want one of the judges to be someone who spends their entire life being as objective and unbiased as possible. Some sort of scientist would do the job.

Maybe there's someone who frequents these forums who would fit the bill.
Gravity it is!

(He has a phd in non enamel cookware)

Edit:
Sorry couldn't resist...

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 4, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Gravity it is!

(He has a phd in non enamel cookware)

Edit:
Sorry couldn't resist...

Lol. As an owner of two new staubs I still think you don't need them.

But drat they're pretty and make you feel classy as gently caress when you bring a big ol batch of boeuf bourguignon to a potluck in it and plop it next to BBQ sauce swimming meatballs in a crockpot and a weird surimi taco dip.

Edit: re: new chat topic. Which one of us is umami? :v:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 4, 2012

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Since it's been discussed in the other thread, are we going to get GWSSS started? The earlier I get my santee the more likely it is that I can head across the border and ship from the states for timely delivery if he/she is american.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've posted it before, I think.

Not Ducksword, that rules. The horrid one you mentioned in the "bad tattoo" thread.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit: re: new chat topic. Which one of us is umami? :v:

Pr0k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I guess that makes pr0k's mom "salty".