Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Parasite does just enough damage to make level 0 armor take 2 additional bites to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Really? I thought bite did 75 damage and starting marines have 100hp/30ar. Does armor actually reduce damage? Or maybe you mean with armor 1 it does just enough to take them to 2 hits.

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

voltron lion force posted:

Really? I thought bite did 75 damage and starting marines have 100hp/30ar. Does armor actually reduce damage? Or maybe you mean with armor 1 it does just enough to take them to 2 hits.

Armor is effectively 2 hp, as long as you die with 0 armor left (not really an issue anymore in NS2, but un-medded heavies in NS1 could die with more than non-zero armor). A base marine has 160 hp (100+30*2), and each bite does 75 damage while parasite does 10.

Bit of history: It used to be 150hp (100 hp, 25 armor), but sometime after a few knockback changes (biting the wrong marine the wrong way used to send him flying away from you like crazy) A0 marines were actually deemed to be in need of a minor buff and the extra 5 armor was it.

And since we're linking NS-related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-Ky5duveE

Downward Spiral fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 4, 2012

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

voltron lion force posted:

Each point of armor negates two "normal" damage, but there are a lot of different damage types that are affected by armor differently.

For example, the pistol does "light" damage and each point of armor absorbs four damage. Similarly the axe does double damage to structures.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 4, 2012

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Demitri Omni posted:

I think I would have a much better time playing Skulks if they would just remove the goddamn view limit so that you can turn upside down properly. The fact that they never thought of that with all the wall and ceiling walking just seems silly.

I love this game but as an ex-Tremulous player, I find this lack of view-orienting for skulks a crippling strike against using them :(

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYSpXTLNIk ahh, dretch wall crawling

Pacra fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 4, 2012

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So, flashlights are the worst thing.

Specifically, rookies with flashlights who turn them on all the time, blinding their own teammates while letting all the aliens around the corner know they're coming.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This would be more fun if there was hearable hit indicators for biting.

Also if they re-added scent of fear because aliens rely on hit-and-run to win and the only way you can do that is information.

Obiter dictum
Sep 8, 2008

Downward Spiral posted:

Armor is effectively 2 hp, as long as you die with 0 armor left (not really an issue anymore in NS2, but un-medded heavies in NS1 could die with more than non-zero armor). A base marine has 160 hp (100+30*2), and each bite does 75 damage while parasite does 10.

Bit of history: It used to be 150hp (100 hp, 25 armor), but sometime after a few knockback changes (biting the wrong marine the wrong way used to send him flying away from you like crazy) A0 marines were actually deemed to be in need of a minor buff and the extra 5 armor was it.

And since we're linking NS-related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-Ky5duveE
This is correct. I think part of the stated reasoning was also to get skulks to use parasite more. In the end, it turned out to be an amazing addition that added lots of unintended depth to early game skulk vs. marine gameplay.

Here's a much better quality version of that video: http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php?dir=Movies/Hosted/&file=Natural%20Selection%20Jumped%202.rar

To those who watch it, bear in mind that the marine jumps in that video were only possible through careful manipulation of map architecture and jump limitations. You'll notice that all the marine jumps use a vertical element (the second jump is performed off a higher spot on the map, such as a rail or higher part of a ramp), because that's the only way to chain jumps as marine. You also had to drop all your guns to perform most, if not all, of those jumps since it affected your speed and how high the vertical component needed to be in order to chain jumps. If you understand that, you should also understand why marine bunnyhopping wasn't a problem in combat; it simply wasn't possible outside of very limited maneuvers (doing a quick one-two jump off of a railing, for example).

Puistokemisti posted:

So you spout Reddit memes while every single posts of yours can be summarized as "loving casuals". Thank gently caress that games in general are moving away from this idea that unless you spend 500+ hours practicing some retarded mechanic, you are not a real gamer.
Your words, not mine. If you feel my posts can be summarised as "loving casuals", there must be something wrong with your reading comprehension?

Obiter dictum fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 4, 2012

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I'm enjoying the game! I am still embarrassingly bad at tracking aliens with guns but it is fun dying anyway. And it will never get old blocking an Onos to secure the kill. My most embarrassing moment was a single gorge circle strafing around a crowded marine base making GBS threads bile bomb on everything and I could not kill him before the turrets went down.

I way preferred skulk footsteps from NS1 to NS2, I mistake the new tap-tap-tap for a group of marines and vice versa. Also, the sounds that buildings make when you're constructing them as marines (the nanomachines I guess?) sound like alien buildings to me.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Chomposaur posted:

I way preferred skulk footsteps from NS1 to NS2, I mistake the new tap-tap-tap for a group of marines and vice versa. Also, the sounds that buildings make when you're constructing them as marines (the nanomachines I guess?) sound like alien buildings to me.

Half the time I'm building something I think I hear some skulks scurrying nearby. It's a little annoying.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

That Gobbo posted:

Half the time I'm building something I think I hear some skulks scurrying nearby. It's a little annoying.

I reckon it's engaging. Building something makes you vulnerable. It takes up a lot of your vision and some of your attention, and it creates distracting noise that might mask an alien's approach. Building something with a teammate allows for a look-out, but being off in the field, alone, with something to build is tense. It's quintessentially NS.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

RadicalWall posted:

For example, the pistol does "light" damage and each point of armor absorbs four damage. Similarly the axe does double damage to structures.

This is so important for people to realise, I always get people in pub games shooting eggs/cysts and the hive and calling for ammo constantly.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Man, this whole thing falls apart once people stop communicating. I think I just had three games in a row where we just got rushed because no one was paying attention.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

TheMostFrench posted:

This is so important for people to realise, I always get people in pub games shooting eggs/cysts and the hive and calling for ammo constantly.

Honestly this is still the best move. Shooting the hive still produces higher DPS than the knife with a weapon upgrade, and is safer to boot. I'd need to run the numbers to see exactly the cost/benefit - I'm only speaking from experience.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
When attacking the hive I usually unload or two clips as I close and then go to axe; no reload delay.

Spengelbeiser
Oct 8, 2009
The reason why people sometimes shoot instead of axe on structures is for safety. No delay for weapon switch if an enemy pops up. If you're well-covered or otherwise fairly confident in your safety, axe is good. Also, if you have a strong feeling your commander isn't willing/able to drop ammo...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RadicalWall posted:

Man, this whole thing falls apart once people stop communicating. I think I just had three games in a row where we just got rushed because no one was paying attention.

So be the change you want! I find everyone 180s around if you just step up to say the first hello.

I had a bunch of killer rounds today. Hilarious ones too. When you get your crew chatting everyone lightens up and plays a lot better.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

So be the change you want! I find everyone 180s around if you just step up to say the first hello.

This is a good point, but I enjoy being a Lerk too much to ever be commander.

Hypothesis: Lerks are the most mobile unit in the game, therefore the best.

EDIT: I should probably clock some Fade time next.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 4, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RadicalWall posted:

Hypothesis: Lerks are the fastest unit in the game, therefore the best.

EDIT: I should probably clock some Fade time next.

Lerks are pretty great cause they can shoot marines and no marine ever seems to know how to deal with enemy fire. God help them if it's a wide open area like lava falls or something.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I love roosting in a nice dark corner and attacking them as they stand in the open hallway.

Played a game where I got to see what the poison spores and the camouflage looked like from the marine side. The previous game a marine had killed my camouflaged Fade and I got irritated because I had thought it was perfect invisibility. Too bad it wasn't!

Fade seems pretty great for just wrecking the poo poo out of small groups outside of their map control but I really love Lerk's mobility and ranged attack too much.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

That Gobbo posted:

I love roosting in a nice dark corner and attacking them as they stand in the open hallway.

Played a game where I got to see what the poison spores and the camouflage looked like from the marine side. The previous game a marine had killed my camouflaged Fade and I got irritated because I had thought it was perfect invisibility. Too bad it wasn't!

Fade seems pretty great for just wrecking the poo poo out of small groups outside of their map control but I really love Lerk's mobility and ranged attack too much.

Fades are pretty great because they cannot die in one on one and will still easily win a 2 on 1 as well. Those claws are so god drat strong.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RadicalWall posted:

Don't have to be commander, just natter on mike a bit. Ask where the commander wants you, tell people when you see marines, comment on the humerous death/kill you just had etc.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Anyone with an AMD card get any occasional crashing/freezing? Wish I could send UWE a crash log,

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Where the gently caress did this calling Marines "rines" come from, I keep seeing pubbies spouting it everywhere.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It came from NS1.

Spengelbeiser
Oct 8, 2009

Sendo posted:

Where the gently caress did this calling Marines "rines" come from, I keep seeing pubbies spouting it everywhere.

Starcraft uses it, plus it's been around in NS lingo for awhile.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Sendo posted:

It's very old, it's from NS1. So they're pubbies, but they've played NS1 yonks ago.

edit: Should have refreshed before posting

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sendo posted:

Furthermore I'm hearing a lot of people saying Gorgey.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It's very old, it's from NS1. So they're pubbies, but they've played NS1 yonks ago.

edit: Should have refreshed before posting

It's what you call rines in starcraft.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Spengelbeiser posted:

Starcraft uses it, plus it's been around in NS lingo for awhile.

The other day I played with a guy who kept saying "Zerglings," "'lings," and "ultralisks."

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
When your commander says they are jumping in the chair, even on aliens, you know you are in for some nostalgic good times.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's what you call rines in starcraft.

I don't play starcraft, but 'rines' is something that was in use back in NS1. Not everybody who played original NS bought the pre-order or played beta.

Of course, a number of people may be using it because of starcraft, but there are also a number of popular games that have marines that don't call them rines. If you wanted to find out who is using it for what, you could always spend a whole bunch of time asking people individually and tallying up the results, but that would depend entirely on how far your outrage will take you.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Also I should quietly point out that this insular, elitist attitude was what made NS1's struggle for survival so difficult. In the end (and far sooner than was justified for such a great game), it was only this tiny core of elite (and elitist) players who kept a couple of servers alive for years on end. And since they were both so pro at the game and introverted as a community, it effectively killed any chance at the necessary, continued intake of new players required to sustain any game.

So if you want NS2 to do better and survive, it might be worth trying to check these sorts of attitudes at the door, and being more inclusive, supportive and accepting. Who the gently caress cares what people want to call things so long as it's mutually intelligible? Do you also want to go back in time and yell at everybody calling the gorge the "fatty" because it's not its technical name?

I'm not saying this because the question is such an outrageous one or that I'm implying you're killing the game, just that NS has a significant enough learning curve that a lovely community will kill it just as thoroughly as it killed the original. You want newbies hopping in and sticking around because it gives you somebody to play against, and it puts money in UWE's pocket so they can continue working on the game.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The only correct name for the gorge is the wombat.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

The only correct name for the gorge is the wombat.

Furious Gorge.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, looks like Criken has a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZdY_M9n24c

I would HIGHLY suggest you also watch his Chivalry video too.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Obiter dictum posted:

I've no idea what that guy was trying to say about voogru, shared respool was always in the game

Suspicious posted:

What he means by the voogru plugin allowed alien players to share resources is that they could /give it to one another.

As in you could walk to the gorge and give him res to drop poo poo faster.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Brackhar posted:

Honestly this is still the best move. Shooting the hive still produces higher DPS than the knife with a weapon upgrade, and is safer to boot. I'd need to run the numbers to see exactly the cost/benefit - I'm only speaking from experience.

Shooting is definitely better, unless it's a building hive. Then it really depends.

Just be sure you're good with a pistol.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Demitri Omni posted:

I think I would have a much better time playing Skulks if they would just remove the goddamn view limit so that you can turn upside down properly. The fact that they never thought of that with all the wall and ceiling walking just seems silly.

They thought of it, tested it, tried it for a long time, it wasn't as fun or smooth as simply the always-up. Also, it needlessly added difficulty for a nublet to do proper wallworking ganks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

quaunaut posted:

They thought of it, tested it, tried it for a long time, it wasn't as fun or smooth as simply the always-up. Also, it needlessly added difficulty for a nublet to do proper wallworking ganks.

In that case it seems that it would be really easy to just implement it as a client-side settings option.

• Locked thread