Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vinlaen posted:

drat... My kitchen TV (22" Samsung) doesn't support HDMI-CEC ("AnyNet+"). However my larger (and older) Samsung (32") does.

Why did Samsung remote the feature from the smaller (and newer) TV?! :(

They didn't remove the feature so much as never include it standard on smaller TVs

The larger the screen and the more expensive tier the TV (i.e. not just a 40 inch set, but the high end 40 inch set) the more likely you are to get a feature like HDMI-CEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Puddin posted:

Anyone using a remote for this? My WiFi doest extend to the bedroom where ill be using this.

Is it a matter of a cheap Harmony remote and a USB ir receiver?

Windows Media Center remotes may work, too. I have an old one that did, as did a Harmony programmed as a WMC remote, but both were pretty flaky, only registering like half the time. It may have been a bad receiver or something, though; I have a nice wireless kb I'm using, so I didn't get into any troubleshooting.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

WoG posted:

Windows Media Center remotes may work, too. I have an old one that did, as did a Harmony programmed as a WMC remote, but both were pretty flaky, only registering like half the time. It may have been a bad receiver or something, though; I have a nice wireless kb I'm using, so I didn't get into any troubleshooting.

I'm using a hp branded mce receiver and it works perfectly in openelec (doesn't work right in xbian/raspbmc). I didn't have to do any setup at all to get it to work. In raspbmc it would register my clicks twice for some reason. Also in both xbian and raspbmc a lot of the buttons would not work. Very strange.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

KrautHedge posted:

I'm using a hp branded mce receiver and it works perfectly in openelec (doesn't work right in xbian/raspbmc). I didn't have to do any setup at all to get it to work. In raspbmc it would register my clicks twice for some reason. Also in both xbian and raspbmc a lot of the buttons would not work. Very strange.

Yeah, just plugged mine back in, and it works perfectly (using a current-ish build of openelec). The last I'd tried was about 3 months ago, seems this got fixed in the interim.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've got one of the two usb models that came out before the 512, with a case and an SD card, but not usb cable. Is anyone interested in buying it from me?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Are the newer pi's with 512mb of ram easier to overclock? My relatively early production B with 256 can't go over 800MHz without crapping out.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Are the newer pi's with 512mb of ram easier to overclock? My relatively early production B with 256 can't go over 800MHz without crapping out.

I've had my 512mb running at 1000mhz just fine.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I just got my board and set it up running raspbian, works great.

Anyone use cmus to play music? Love it on normal computers though on the pi when I change songs I get stuck with a 5-10 sec delay(though sometimes long enough that I forgot I changed songs) where the console is frozen, and it continues to play the song. Anyone experience that?

Right now I'm just playing around with it, but I'd like to eventually stick this in a old radio/boombox and build the internet radio of my dreams.

pian0majic21
Dec 22, 2011

by angerbrat
Best description ever.

Still like the Commodore better though.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I've managed to get airplay working on my rasppi thanks to this tutorial: link. I've also managed to connect a tiny USB wifi doohickey, install all the right drivers and connect it to my home wifi. Being a total UNIX noob and having done all of this through the terminal, I feel very proud of myself (I literally have 0 terminal experience).

However, I've got a problem that I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tackle. My goal is to have the rasppi in my car as an airplay device, so that I can stream music from my iPhone. Currently, the Pi only connects to my home network, and I'd like to be able to make it transmit its own wifi signal, so that I can connect stuff to it while driving about. How doable is that? I found a tutorial where some dude explains how to make it create its own wifi network if it loses its connection to a certain preset network, but I can't figure it out. Is there a simpler way to make it transmit its own wifi network?

Also, anyone who's even remotely interested in computers should get themselves a Raspberry Pi, it's an awesome little project device!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

awesome-express posted:

I've managed to get airplay working on my rasppi thanks to this tutorial: link. I've also managed to connect a tiny USB wifi doohickey, install all the right drivers and connect it to my home wifi. Being a total UNIX noob and having done all of this through the terminal, I feel very proud of myself (I literally have 0 terminal experience).

However, I've got a problem that I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tackle. My goal is to have the rasppi in my car as an airplay device, so that I can stream music from my iPhone. Currently, the Pi only connects to my home network, and I'd like to be able to make it transmit its own wifi signal, so that I can connect stuff to it while driving about. How doable is that? I found a tutorial where some dude explains how to make it create its own wifi network if it loses its connection to a certain preset network, but I can't figure it out. Is there a simpler way to make it transmit its own wifi network?

Also, anyone who's even remotely interested in computers should get themselves a Raspberry Pi, it's an awesome little project device!

Just a thought, is it possible to do it the other way?

Have your phone setup as the hotspot and have the pi connect and stream that way?

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

awesome-express posted:

Hostapd is what you want. It's a software base station for linux - it will let you set your RPi up as an access point, and then connect your devices through it. It does, however, require using a wireless card with drivers that support being put into AP/Master mode - look up your particular driver to see whether it supports it. I was running this at home with an atheros card when my router was being replaced.

Once you've got hostapd set up it'll show up as a wireless access point you can connect to. You'll then need to set up a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to the connecting computers/phones. I've used dnsmasq in the past - it's easy to get set up. Then you should be able to join the network, get handed an IP address and start streaming.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Hurrah, my second Pi arrived today along with its case.

I'm just thinking ill set this one up as one I can take with me if we travel anywhere along with an external HDD.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Talaii posted:

Hostapd is what you want. It's a software base station for linux - it will let you set your RPi up as an access point, and then connect your devices through it. It does, however, require using a wireless card with drivers that support being put into AP/Master mode - look up your particular driver to see whether it supports it. I was running this at home with an atheros card when my router was being replaced.

Once you've got hostapd set up it'll show up as a wireless access point you can connect to. You'll then need to set up a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to the connecting computers/phones. I've used dnsmasq in the past - it's easy to get set up. Then you should be able to join the network, get handed an IP address and start streaming.

Did you just make dedicated wireless routers obsolete?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Anyone try building a Pi Supercomputer using the following guide yet? At the very least, I'm interesting in picking up a second one to see how it does.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

syphon posted:

Anyone try building a Pi Supercomputer using the following guide yet? At the very least, I'm interesting in picking up a second one to see how it does.

For anyone else wondering as I was, pi supercomputer = pooled raspberry pis sharing resources

movax
Aug 30, 2008

syphon posted:

The only thing stupider than this being academic "research" / grad school material is the amount of money they spent on it. Seriously :psyduck: inducing, five loving thousand dollars (chump change in academia, but still)

That said, by all means pick up a second one to play around with but don't expect anything balls-shatteringly awesome out of it. For cheap "supercomputing"/parallel stuff, the Kickstarter for the Parallela just ended I think. There's always the $0 method of leverage your existing GPU, but obviously there is quite a learning curve there.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Syphon, I know you're desperate to do something cool with your pi. So here's what you do, hook it up to your soon to exist expensive home theatre sound system.

plug something like this into it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0056WJP1M/ (i think there were other ones linked above this post) A touch screen version might be even cooler.

Use the pi as a low power Pandora/mp3 streamer that connects to your high powered system and have a neat little display to go with it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I was thinking of a media streamer... but I'd prefer something that allows for control over the network (so I could use my smartphone to control the music). Depending on what receiver I end up getting, I might be able to do it there instead of the RPi though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
gently caress me. So I put the case on my Pi and it somehow breaks one side of the clip that holds the SD card in.

Which also means the car doesn't stay on the contacts, so now its useless.

loving hell.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Puddin posted:

gently caress me. So I put the case on my Pi and it somehow breaks one side of the clip that holds the SD card in.

loving hell.

tape the card down or something. or send it to me I'll use it :D

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Puddin posted:

loving hell.

So the SD card slot/holder is broken? Pretty easy to replace, pay your local nerd who knows how to solder some beer and it'll be good as new.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

syphon posted:

I was thinking of a media streamer... but I'd prefer something that allows for control over the network (so I could use my smartphone to control the music). Depending on what receiver I end up getting, I might be able to do it there instead of the RPi though.

xbmc has this baked in

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any way to send a yotuube link to xbmc from a desktop computer. I've used youtube addon very briefly, but the search interface drives me loving insane and gently caress trying to type on a tv remote. Also I don't like that I can't turn off saving my search history in that plugin.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just to give you guys another idea of what you can do with this, and sorry if I mentioned it before, but we are building an arduino and Raspberry Pi powered vaporizer that tweets and plays Snoop Dogg samples when you hit it.

Raspberry High

The Arduino is actually the core of the unit, handling all of the LCD and interface and heater control, but it will talk serial to and from the Pi, which will be set up to post to Twitter and will have a webui. We're developing an iOS app to remotely start/stop/preheat, as well.

I decided against making the thing Pi-only because we need solid heater control and I didn't want to roll the dice on a Linux program reliably PWMing the heater. But, the Pi is both cheaper and way more powerful than the Arduino Ethernet shield, so we decided on a combo.

This started out as a joke project from me seeing a lot of posts of people that bought Pis and threw them in the junk drawer, so I said "send me one and i'll make a bong out of it," somebody did, and we went from there.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

Is there any way to send a yotuube link to xbmc from a desktop computer. I've used youtube addon very briefly, but the search interface drives me loving insane and gently caress trying to type on a tv remote. Also I don't like that I can't turn off saving my search history in that plugin.

There's a Greasemonkey script for Firefox here.

Or, for Chrome, you can install TubeToTV or Play to XBMC

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm using raspbmc and it works pretty well. Should i avoid the nightly upgrades? Is there a way to only upgrade inside rasbmc to stable versions?

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

I'm using raspbmc and it works pretty well. Should i avoid the nightly upgrades? Is there a way to only upgrade inside rasbmc to stable versions?

Do you happen to use a remote with raspbmc? I was having some issues with it last time I tried and was wondering if it had gotten any better. I wish it didn't take so drat long to flash new builds.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Main menu > Programs > RaspBMC settings wil let you turn off auto-updating and manually update when you want.

Not all TV manufacturers implementations of CEC are well-done. Samsung is apparently OK, but LG is crappy (I'm praying for future libCEC workarounds).

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Main menu > Programs > RaspBMC settings wil let you turn off auto-updating and manually update when you want.

Not all TV manufacturers implementations of CEC are well-done. Samsung is apparently OK, but LG is crappy (I'm praying for future libCEC workarounds).

Oh I'm not using CEC. I have a windows media center receiver. It works perfectly with openELEC but had issues with raspbmc and xbian last time I tried it (some keys weren't working and it was sending some keys multiple times).

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
lirc should work ok on any other system but if you have problems with your model of remote you might want to turn on log level 1 in advancedsettings.xml to see what is going on in the logs in ~/.xbmc/temp/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I only see a menu for the nightly build updating. That's not turned on. But if there's a new stable release, how would i update that? Would i have to take my SD card out and update on my PC?

Edit: Oh wait, i also see a button on another raspbmc called 'keep raspbmc updatd' and that's checked off... is that only for stable releases?

KrautHedge posted:

Do you happen to use a remote with raspbmc? I was having some issues with it last time I tried and was wondering if it had gotten any better. I wish it didn't take so drat long to flash new builds.

I use the XBMC smartphone app which works ok, probably doesn't help you...

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I got RaspBMC working and tried out the remote app (for iOS). It kinda works, but it's really really laggy and generally problematic. I just attribute it to to the relatively weak CPU in the Pi.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

syphon posted:

I got RaspBMC working and tried out the remote app (for iOS). It kinda works, but it's really really laggy and generally problematic. I just attribute it to to the relatively weak CPU in the Pi.

Strange, the android one works fine, same with my TVs remote using CEC, granted I'm using openelec.

Have you tried any of the other releases?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Jonny 290 posted:

Raspberry High

Now I know exactly what I would have been doing with one of these 4 years ago.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

syphon posted:

The Android app works fine for me. I don't know if that's a problem with the iOS app or with something else about your setup.

When I switched over to a wifi usb dongle instead of the wired network, commands got a bit more laggy. Try wiring it and seeing if that makes a difference?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I ordered once of these Sunday night and it came this afternoon. I got RaspBMC running pretty easily. My TV remote is controlling it via HDMI-CEC without having to tweak anything. Overall, the performance is pretty decent for a $35 computer. I can't complain.

EDIT: For those running something like RaspBMC or OpenElec, is the MPEG-2 license even needed?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Smuckles posted:

I ordered once of these Sunday night and it came this afternoon. I got RaspBMC running pretty easily. My TV remote is controlling it via HDMI-CEC without having to tweak anything. Overall, the performance is pretty decent for a $35 computer. I can't complain.

EDIT: For those running something like RaspBMC or OpenElec, is the MPEG-2 license even needed?

it is needed if you want to watch mpeg2 encoded videos

without it, mine would play the audio track but blank video

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are there any Australian shops that have this in stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are there any Australian shops that have this in stock?

Au.element14.com would be your best bet but are out of stock. Will have 8490 in stock on 19th Nov however.