Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

I guess that makes pr0k's mom "salty".

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

excellent, i've missed page snypes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think "yeasty" would be more accurate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I think "yeasty" would be more accurate.
Yeasty as a baker's gusset.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Seafood contributes umami, too. So I would say more....fishy. :barf:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drink and Fight posted:

I guess that makes pr0k's mom "salty".
I guess you've never had one of her krusty kreme `donuts'.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I'm making black & white cookies tonight for no reason other than I fell asleep drunk last night with Seinfeld on.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Look to the cookie.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You should take it to its logical conclusion and bake black & white pinwheel cookies.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

To relocate this discussion from the chickencheese thread...

I'm so down for GWSSS this year. I'm finally living somewhere I can actually get my hands on good, unique regional stuff.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I'd be interested in GWSSS, although I'm not sure how long postage from Australia will take. :ohdear:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone have thoughts about heritage turkey breeds?

going to my mums in DFW, was thinking about trying to track down a farm that had a decent bird - but I realized I really don't know much about flavor/breeds etc - and I don't wanna pay a lot of money for something that's gonna taste like leather. :/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

anyone have thoughts about heritage turkey breeds?

going to my mums in DFW, was thinking about trying to track down a farm that had a decent bird - but I realized I really don't know much about flavor/breeds etc - and I don't wanna pay a lot of money for something that's gonna taste like leather. :/

They all taste much better than the butterball of supermarket fame, but they are universally not as juicy or as tender. Think of them more like you would wild hunted game, but without the game taste.

I raise a few of them because I like them so much. To me the only problem is that they create inordinate amounts of poo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They all taste much better than the butterball of supermarket fame, but they are universally not as juicy or as tender.

NOT ACCORDING TO ORGANICAUTHORITY.COM

http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-chic-table/heritage-turkey-thanksgiving-dinner-throwback.html posted:

Plus, anyone with three taste buds can tell you how vastly superior a heritage turkey tastes when compared to the average grocery store bird. Heritage turkeys are juicier and more flavorful, thanks to their protein-rich diets and healthier environments with more open space.

god I hate people with agendas sometimes

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

To relocate this discussion from the chickencheese thread...

I'm so down for GWSSS this year. I'm finally living somewhere I can actually get my hands on good, unique regional stuff.

If we're gonna do that we need to start taking adresses soon. I don't have any time to mastermind it, unfortunately, but I'd surely be in the pool.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This is the most ridiculous thing ever:

Strawberry dessert

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Casu Marzu posted:

Strawberry dessert

One of either Ricola or Doh004 should attempt this and win, by sheer virtue of :effort: involved.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

FRUIT GLASS?!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

Strawberry dessert

THIS IS WHY I LIVE

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

FRUIT GLASS?!

Seriously. I was pretty meh over the strawberry snow and the dehydrated candied strawberry top. But the strawberry sugar pulling and then the strawberry glass? That's loving amazing! :psyduck:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So like. That's all awesome modernism and all, but can we talk about how awful the raw strawberries look? So pale white inside. :( no wonder he goes through all that work with all that sugar. He has no idea what a strawberry is supposed to taste like. :sympathy:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sun-warmed Senga Sengana-variety strawberries, eaten right off the plant while picking strawberries with your whole family for canning later that evening, after eating the finest berries with cream and sugar :d

Nobody grows Senga Sengana anymore, they're too tender but hot drat do they pack flavour. Instead it's all firm, easily-transportble Corona berries, and it's impossible to go pick your own anymore, it's all done by immigrant season workers now :(

(I mean, I do afford them the job and wages, as long as they're not exploited which sometimes seems to be the case, but I sort of miss that experience.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The best strawberries I've ever had in my life were bought at a street corner in Tokyo.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Okay, it looks like there's sufficient interest for GWSSS again this year. I'll start a thread/taking addresses tonight assuming everyone's fine with the threat of banning hovering over deadbeats.

In other news, I am perhaps the last person on the internet to discover a neat set of videos. Here is the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVIegSt81k

Part 2 is really loving interesting if you're at all fascinated by mathematics, physics, etc. and includes liberal mention of Richard Feynman (always a good thing), but isn't really germane to the reason I'm posting about this here. The third video, on the other hand, is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwrVAbV56o

:psypop:

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
That video is loving ridiculous, but amazing at the same time. Want to eat that hexaflexamexagon.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What does water taste like?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Psalmanazar posted:

In a similar vein, what do teeth taste like?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Psalmanazar posted:

Depends on the water. Water with lots of biological crap in it---like municipal water supplies taken from surface sources (like rivers) tend to be rated as having better taste than water containing salts (like most aquifer waters) or purified waters.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Got a odd question I am hoping some of you kitchen wizards might be able to help me out with. My gas stove will ignite randomly when I try to turn it on, sometimes it ignites 5 times in a row and other times I can go a hour turning it on and off trying to get it to catch. I can smell the gas coming out just fine and hear the ignitor clicking but the stove will not catch. I was thinking it might be a faulty ignitor/sparker but before I start taking apart my stove and replacing parts I figure I would ask you guys since most of you spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Faulty igniter. You could also just have grease buildup on it. Good thing they're cheap to replace.

e: Now using Cashel Blue Cheese in our cheese amenity. It is by far my favorite blue cheese now.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 6, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But isn't the clicking he hears the spark from the igniter?

I know on mine, sometimes it takes several clicks. Gas is harder to light than you think; the mixture of gas and oxygen has to be within a somewhat narrow range. On mine, if the burner cap is a little off kilter, it won't ignite. I suppose it could also be impacted by any drafts nearby. Make sure the openings on the burner aren't clogged too.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think the clicking noise is the thing trying to make a spark happen. Whether it is making sparks or not is another matter.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Faulty igniter. You could also just have grease buildup on it. Good thing they're cheap to replace.

e: Now using Cashel Blue Cheese in our cheese amenity. It is by far my favorite blue cheese now.

Cashel owns but my favorite is St Agur.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Yawgmoth posted:

I think the clicking noise is the thing trying to make a spark happen. Whether it is making sparks or not is another matter.

Yeah it's this. My last (old as poo poo) gas stove had this problem, especially in humid weather. Best way is to use a match basically.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
My wife wants me to make borscht but apparently I have to purée all of the veg so there are no pieces of anything what the gently caress

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Have you tried Rogue River Blue? It's wrapped in grape leaves macerated in pear brandy, and it's loving awesome.

In other news, The Santa Thread is UP go sign up kids!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:siren: proclick zone :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mm_5Z__TjQ

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Allahu Snackbar posted:

My wife wants me to make borscht but apparently I have to purée all of the veg so there are no pieces of anything what the gently caress

Sever.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rythe posted:

Got a odd question I am hoping some of you kitchen wizards might be able to help me out with. My gas stove will ignite randomly when I try to turn it on, sometimes it ignites 5 times in a row and other times I can go a hour turning it on and off trying to get it to catch. I can smell the gas coming out just fine and hear the ignitor clicking but the stove will not catch. I was thinking it might be a faulty ignitor/sparker but before I start taking apart my stove and replacing parts I figure I would ask you guys since most of you spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Clean the igniter and the hob. Try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mmm. I love that stuff (and so does babby). I love the blue flavour but that it isn't too strong, and is combined with that lovely creaminess. There's also a lovely Yorkshire blue in the same vein (:rimshot:) called Shepherd's Purse. Really delicious, lovely full flavour plus smooth creaminess.