Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I admired Zombie's remakes if only because that felt like he was confronting the legacy of Carpenter's original head-on and making a point out of doing completely the opposite.

I didn't particularly like them, but I admired them.

I don't know about the second, but I liked Zombie's remake of Halloween. There were some nice visual touches - the madly colorful scribbles of Myers' homemade masks against the dull white of the institution especially - and the death scenes are some of the few I've ever seen in a slasher film that felt earned or real instead of glib. They actually looked like crime scene photos, ugly and banal.

Making Laurie his sister didn't especially bug me, because even though the idea of a completely random and motiveless killer is compelling, in the case of a character who is already as much of a blank slate as Michael "The Shape" Myers is, I could see it just meaning there's nothing for the audience to really grab onto. Who is he? Some guy. Why does he kill? Who knows. Who is he looking for? No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Craig Spradlin posted:

I don't know about the second, but I liked Zombie's remake of Halloween. There were some nice visual touches - the madly colorful scribbles of Myers' homemade masks against the dull white of the institution especially - and the death scenes are some of the few I've ever seen in a slasher film that felt earned or real instead of glib. They actually looked like crime scene photos, ugly and banal.

I actually love the first half with young Michael (and I love Malcolm McDowell as Dr. Loomis - more than I love Donald Pleasance in the role, in fact), but once it flashes forward and the movie actually turns into a remake of Halloween proper I think it falls flat on it's rear end. Similarly, with Halloween II, I think the 15 minute opening sequence is absolutely stellar but the rest is mostly very lame (although Brad Dourif really shines).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

EC posted:

I guess I should edit my question a bit. I was just curious why people seem to like it so much. I know scares are subjective and that it came out before the Walking Dead, but it doesn't change my opinion or make me less interested in what others think of it (especially since I see it recommended as an excellent found footage horror movie).

Yeah, as stated it has nice pacing and escalation and uses the found footage conceit in a successful way. I really enjoy the flow of the movie and how well it kept adding something in almost at the exact time my attention was wandering (which happens with frequency in found footage films for me).

I'd also say Quarantine is a successful remake if only because they seemed comfortable enough direct it without relying on easy route cheap stuff. The quality of the in-camera special effects is on par and as effective. gently caress their marketing team for their choice of scene to use for trailer and poster fodder though.

[Laurie as Michael Myer's brother]
I really prefer that Laurie be related, at least with respect to Halloween 2 and H20. If she wasn't related, those sequels get weaker because Michael never seemed to me to fit the "finish the job" mold at all. And especially with the number of killings that happen between attempts on Laurie, if he was so focused on killing her for no other reason than she survived, why take the time to kill other people. The idea that he wants to kill family has that nice subtle twinge of wrong that elevates it above random killing. I know some people like the idea of random murder as the core theme but I think the idea of fratricide to be even scarier.

[Zombie's Halloween]

Glamorama26 posted:

I really really disliked the first one and have nothing positive to say about it. His sequel is a very watchable film with some good ideas and striking visuals. It doesn't work for me totally, but I can enjoy it more or less.

I'm of very similar mind. The second one is nearly amazing with the ability to create a signature silhouette for Michael Myers and having the violence quotient ratcheted up to the right level. Unfortunately the finale is such complete garbage that it just sucks the wind out of it. But up until that whole part I was solidly onboard and feeling like Zombie really had a pulse on what he wanted to accomplish and a skill to get it done.

The first one had some solid ideas and but he seemed so completely fixated on the scenario of a woman crawling away from Michael that it has to be some form of mental issue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I actually love the first half with young Michael

Really? The whole "abusive, redneck family raising a 'dark' child" thing that is all Zombie knows worked for you? Man, different strokes I guess but that's the part I hated the most.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What can I say, I like Zombie's idiosyncratic style. I think The Devil's Rejects is one of the best horror movies of the past ten-to-fifteen years. In the first half of Halloween, he got to apply that style to a tragic story of a bullied child going insane, complete with some really gorgeous cinematography.

The second half just felt like every other watered down Halloween sequel.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

What can I say, I like Zombie's idiosyncratic style. I think The Devil's Rejects is one of the best horror movies of the past ten-to-fifteen years. In the first half of Halloween, he got to apply that style to a tragic story of a bullied child going insane, complete with some really gorgeous cinematography.

The second half just felt like every other watered down Halloween sequel.

I thought Zombie's aesthetic worked better in The Devil's Rejects (about which I agree - it's excellent) than here, but all of the stuff with Michael in the hospital was really good.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Craig Spradlin posted:

I thought Zombie's aesthetic worked better in The Devil's Rejects (about which I agree - it's excellent) than here, but all of the stuff with Michael in the hospital was really good.

Yeah, the little mini movie with Michael in the hospital is top notch. Really, if only the ending wasn't so poorly conceived it would make for a recommendable movie. It's all the worse because one of the things that worked so well with his first Halloween was the ending.

And yeah, the Devil's Rejects is so good that he'll likely never make anything as good as it. He has parts of each of his other movies which are top notch (Captain Spaulding opening for Ho1KC, ending for Halloween 1) but that one is solid in each of its scenes. Very little to make excuses for or pine for a different approach.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/cinetology/2012/11/05/hey-festival-organisers-your-key-to-free-publicity-get-your-films-banned/
Here's a bit more on the Father's Day ban. I wish I'd seen it at the Night of Horror in Sydney.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Apparently not.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 5, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

This isn't a good idea.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
It's turning into TV IV in here.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the REC talk horror dudes. Always good to get a differing opinion when you don't like a movie. I didn't realize Quarantine is a remake, I might look into that.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
^ Editing out your original post is a pussy move, bro.

We watched Sleep Tight or Mientras Duermes over the weekend and it is the exact opposite of a "fun" horror movie. It's not a horror movie at all, generally speaking, more of a psychological thriller, I guess? Whatever classification you wish to apply to it, one thing it is is incredibly hosed up. It's the first movie in a long while that made my wife genuinely disturbed and she decided to screw around on her laptop during the last quarter of it or so, so it wouldn't disturb her as much.

(See, when people want to not be involved in a movie, they do other poo poo.)

Because of its pitch black tone, and a purely evil character -- the likes of which we haven't seen since Michael Myers in Halloween -- this movie scared me more than any in recent memory. Or, at least, disturbed me. When Cesar begins to totally unravel, and confronts the little girl, first I thought he was just going to rape and/or kill her outright. Then as he's holding her out the window, I was almost certain he was going to just let her drop after he's threatened her entire family. When you watch your average TV drama, even if it's on the level of, say, Breaking Bad, your mind always commits to the safe bet. No matter how precarious the situation, you know Walter White is going to be alive next week. And probably Jesse too. And in the average American horror movie, your mind is 99% certain that the bad guy will lose so you're at least subconsciously disengaged somewhat with the conceit of its terror; "it's only a movie", etc.

Sleep Tight? Yeah, not so much. It seems perfectly capable and willing to go anywhere, to do anything, so your safety blanket of suspended disbelief is nowhere to be found.

You will not have fun with this movie. But this is a very, very good film.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

What can I say, I like Zombie's idiosyncratic style. I think The Devil's Rejects is one of the best horror movies of the past ten-to-fifteen years.

So I watched House of 1000 Corpses for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely hated it. I found the plot really meandering and the whole thing seemed like a case of too much style and way too little substance.

Having said that, do you think I would enjoy The Devil's Rejects? Is it a HUGE step up from the first, or should I steer clear?

If it helps, I quite enjoyed Zombie's remake of Halloween, though I have yet to see it's sequel as well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MrGreenShirt posted:

Having said that, do you think I would enjoy The Devil's Rejects? Is it a HUGE step up from the first, or should I steer clear?

It's a completely different kind of movie altogether. Check it out.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

MrGreenShirt posted:

So I watched House of 1000 Corpses for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely hated it. I found the plot really meandering and the whole thing seemed like a case of too much style and way too little substance.

If it helps, I quite enjoyed Zombie's remake of Halloween, though I have yet to see it's sequel as well.

The Devil's Rejects is so much better than House of 1000 Corpses it's hard to believe they were made by the same man.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'm not Zombie's biggest supporter, but The Devil's Rjects is a classic that includes some truly good to great performances with William Forsythe being the highlight, IMO.

I will say that for Rob, he gets good work out of his actors.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently they're remaking Maniac with Elijah Wood. Odd fit if you ask me but the trailer looks cool and like he can pull it off.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3202012/international-maniac-trailer-scalps-ties-and-slashes-nsfw/

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's already done and has been screened to some praise, actually.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

Yes, it is absolutely a huge step up from the first. Devil's Rejects is above-and-beyond anything else Zombie has ever made.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Never seen the orginal Maniac but I think a friend of mine has it. Worth a watch?

Also about to watch The Descent 2. Loved the first one, can't wait to see how much number 2 sucks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I found Elijah Wood to be really creepy in Sin City.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Volume posted:

Never seen the orginal Maniac but I think a friend of mine has it. Worth a watch?

Kinda. I've only seen it once and it's incredibly "I need a shower" sleazy, but I have had a slight urge to revisit it lately.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Alright then, looks like The Devil's Rejects is going on the top of my queue!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Volume posted:

It's gloriously bleak and you can feel the sleaze oozing out of it as you watch it. If you like that sort of thing (and holy poo poo, do I ever) then I'd heartily recommend it. Just don't go in looking for anyone "likable" or with a "character". Do go in looking for head explosions and really nasty kill scenes plus the always fun "New York looked like hell in some areas during the 70's and 80's" aesthetic.

Basically, go look at it's poster/DVD cover art. If you recoil, then skip it. Otherwise, dive right in and watch the vile'ness unfold.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ape Agitator posted:

And yeah, the Devil's Rejects is so good that he'll likely never make anything as good as it.

After seeing Lords of Salem a couple of months ago, I think this is fairly spot-on. He's trying some different stuff, namely, a Giallo style, in LoS but it ultimately suffers from being way too shallow. And I know it's shallow because he basically said as much in the Q&A after the film. People would ask him why he included [thing that looks like it'd be significant] and he'd say 'because it looks cool'. Thanks for nothing, Rob.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Volume posted:

Also about to watch The Descent 2. Loved the first one, can't wait to see how much number 2 sucks.

It retreads everything about the first one, except it does everything poorly. It's awful. Enjoy it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

Just watched The Bay, tipped off to its release on Amazon by this very thread.

I thought it was pretty drat good. Not great, but not at all middling either — just a strong found footage horror film with a lot of memorable moments. Absolutely recommended, especially for fans of found footage. The 'shell' of it is a bit ... empty, I guess, which has been discussed already to some extent, but I don't think that detracts from the quality.

Apparently Levinson was asked to make a documentary about the Chesapeake Bay and isopods but he balked because he felt the subject matter had been covered thoroughly in the PBS Frontline episode (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/), so he decided to make a horror film about it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

After seeing Lords of Salem a couple of months ago, I think this is fairly spot-on. He's trying some different stuff, namely, a Giallo style, in LoS but it ultimately suffers from being way too shallow. And I know it's shallow because he basically said as much in the Q&A after the film. People would ask him why he included [thing that looks like it'd be significant] and he'd say 'because it looks cool'. Thanks for nothing, Rob.

I haven't seen Lords of Salem but this is p. much spot on for Giallos. Lots of heavy handed symbolism and other assorted cool looking stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah to be fair "because it looks cool" is the entire ethos behind some of Dario Argento's best movies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Profondo Rosso posted:

I haven't seen Lords of Salem but this is p. much spot on for Giallos. Lots of heavy handed symbolism and other assorted cool looking stuff

Ah I didn't know that. In that case it's pretty accurate I guess. It certainly *looks* stylish enough and would be a good pick for playing in the background of a Halloween party or something. Especially in the last third it just looks like a hosed-up music video and there's not much of a plot in between. I always figured there was more meaning in the Giallo stuff that I just wasn't getting and hand't taken the time to explore much.

I still remain a little skeptical that he knows what he was referencing though. Here's the video of the Q&A from TIFF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWkpBJvfC8

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 6, 2012

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If you liked The Descent the best thing you could ever do is not see The Descent 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toaster Beef posted:

Just watched The Bay, tipped off to its release on Amazon by this very thread.

I thought it was pretty drat good. Not great, but not at all middling either — just a strong found footage horror film with a lot of memorable moments. Absolutely recommended, especially for fans of found footage. The 'shell' of it is a bit ... empty, I guess, which has been discussed already to some extent, but I don't think that detracts from the quality.

Is it on Prime? I can't find it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

epoch. posted:

Sleep Tight? Yeah, not so much. It seems perfectly capable and willing to go anywhere, to do anything, so your safety blanket of suspended disbelief is nowhere to be found.

You will not have fun with this movie. But this is a very, very good film.
I loved it because it plays with convention SO hard. It does everything a film is supposed to: Sets up a protagonist and his mission, follows him through his mission, makes you care whether he's going to fail or succeed, and then shows you the results. Except in this film, the protagonist is despicable, and he lets you know it right away. Yet the way they filmed it was designed so that you don't want him to get caught, even if you don't like him. You actually kind of want this poor, innocent, bubbly woman to stop being so happy. Then the reveal comes, and you feel awful for ever wanting it. It takes a really well-written film to pull that off.

Also the guy is Malamadre from Celda 211, so that's pretty awesome too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flashy_mcflash posted:

I had no idea LOS was a giallo, now I'm pumped.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

flashy_mcflash posted:

People would ask him why he included [thing that looks like it'd be significant] and he'd say 'because it looks cool'. Thanks for nothing, Rob.

Zombie says this about all his films. Like listen to the commentary track for Halloween II , and he'll explain the most elliptical and abstract sequences with an aggressively banal answer focused exclusively on the plot. He's clearly irritated by people asking what the black goo is, and not thinking for themselves.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just got home from seeing Sinister.

Kinda decent movie. Not fantastic, although it had some great moments. It had a few too "paint by numbers" jump scares, but overall it was at least worth a watch.

I'd rate it probably 3, maybe 3.5 stars outta 5. Not super intense or horrifying but there are at least a few creepy scenes. The opening credits are god damned amazing.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Rhyno posted:

Is it on Prime? I can't find it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bay/dp/B00A0G162U/ref=sr_1_2?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1352200266&sr=1-2&keywords=the+bay

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I liked The Descent Part 2.
Also here is the trailer for Silent Night, a remake of Silent Night Deadly Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLw3GmHQqA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slasherfan posted:

I liked The Descent Part 2.
Also here is the trailer for Silent Night, a remake of Silent Night Deadly Night.

That looks pretty bad.