Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is a great documentary. Pro-tip: don't be like these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRvB8lyRSM

That was a pretty good documentary, but it's really more about the guy's mental illness and how he identifies it with records than it is about collecting records, really. There are some people in there who seem very cool and well adjusted, but they don't get nearly as much screentime as the crazy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, it's a bad movie, (...)

Look at how wrong you are.

DeathWaltzRecs is amazing.

chime_on posted:

That was a pretty good documentary, but it's really more about the guy's mental illness and how he identifies it with records than it is about collecting records, really. There are some people in there who seem very cool and well adjusted, but they don't get nearly as much screentime as the crazy people.

I know, but it's still a great watch. It's definitely not about the records; just about the hoarders, really.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

I appreciate that they tried to move away from Michael Myers and do other Halloween-themed stories, but Halloween III just did not work out in my opinion (don't get me wrong, there are plenty of worse movies out there and I'd certainly watch it again when I have the opportunity). Which is too bad, because if it was good and did well then they might have continued on with trying different stories rather than making GBS threads up Michael Myers with all those sequels.

Death Waltz is really cool and I wish I had more money to buy more of their stuff. I love the art and the work they put into getting composers and the artists to contribute liner notes. They're like the Criterion Collection of soundtracks. This is my first from them, and I want the Manchester Morgue album and am looking forward to They Live and also House Of The Devil. I just wish the Silver Shamrock flexi was out at the same time I ordered the H3 vinyl so I could've grabbed it. It's already sold out, though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Death Waltz is really cool and I wish I had more money to buy more of their stuff. I love the art and the work they put into getting composers and the artists to contribute liner notes. They're like the Criterion Collection of soundtracks. This is my first from them, and I want the Manchester Morgue album and am looking forward to They Live and also House Of The Devil. I just wish the Silver Shamrock flexi was out at the same time I ordered the H3 vinyl so I could've grabbed it. It's already sold out, though.

I've got the blue Donnie Darko, the green Manchester Morgue, the white Let The Right One In and the clear-with-red-splatter Zombi 2 vinyl.

Deathwaltz rules.

And incidentally, even though they are limited and some are out of print, all of the above can still be found on Rough Trade.

Those flexis were gone in like 10 minutes. It was insane. Still snagged one. But really wasn't expecting such interest for it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I was surprised by the flexis going so fast, too. I saw the email and they had 100 copies, and considering how slow some of the other full albums go, I was expecting them to have plenty left when I went to check it out. Manchester Morgue is still in stock there, I think around 33 copies left, which means they'll probably still have some come Christmas time when I have some extra dough, and They Live should be out sometime in December, too, so I know where some of that Xmas cash is headed. And that clear-and-red splatter for Zombi 2 is real sharp looking, too. I imagine that sold out pretty quick.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I was surprised by the flexis going so fast, too. I saw the email and they had 100 copies, and considering how slow some of the other full albums go, I was expecting them to have plenty left when I went to check it out. Manchester Morgue is still in stock there, I think around 33 copies left, which means they'll probably still have some come Christmas time when I have some extra dough, and They Live should be out sometime in December, too, so I know where some of that Xmas cash is headed. And that clear-and-red splatter for Zombi 2 is real sharp looking, too. I imagine that sold out pretty quick.

There's been a flurry interviews, twitter mentions, facebook links, and all that marketing jazz recently, so there's a lot more interest in the label now than a while ago. Good for them.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Zombi 2 took a really long time to sell out, actually.

I really dig Death Waltz, but I think Spencer was anticipating Mondo-style instant sellouts for these LPs and when that didn't happen, there were some delays and hiccups with the first batch of releases. Now that the label seems to be gaining some momentum, hopefully those are all going to get sorted out. I did subscribe to the second volume of the subscription, because it actually works out to be cheaper this time around with the addition of the flexi.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chime_on posted:

Zombi 2 took a really long time to sell out, actually.

I really dig Death Waltz, but I think Spencer was anticipating Mondo-style instant sellouts for these LPs and when that didn't happen, there were some delays and hiccups with the first batch of releases. Now that the label seems to be gaining some momentum, hopefully those are all going to get sorted out. I did subscribe to the second volume of the subscription, because it actually works out to be cheaper this time around with the addition of the flexi.

Wasn't Zombi 2 their first release?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, it was.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wish they would do Blade Runner :allears:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
So I saw Titus Andronicus last Monday and Black Moth Super Rainbow on Halloween. Both were amazing shows.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Cobra Juicy [signed retail version]
Casket Girls - Sleepwalking [signed retail version]
Titus Andronicus - Local Business [red vinyl]
Polyphonic Spree - Holidaydream [signed red vinyl]

I also got BMSR to sign a Scientology personality test that I found outside the bar before the show.

And the deluxe edition of Lonerism.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Surfingelectrode posted:

So I saw Titus Andronicus last Monday and Black Moth Super Rainbow on Halloween. Both were amazing shows.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Cobra Juicy [signed retail version]

Man, that retail version is way nicer than the Kickstarter orange one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

alg posted:

I wish they would do Blade Runner :allears:

Maybe if enough of us email to sperg about it they make it happen. The Blade Runner soundtrack is my holy grail. I doubt I'll ever find a copy though because the only vinyl release of it was some pressing from Brazil in 1994. The US versions of the soundtrack are not the actual music performed by Vangelis. It's some kind of bastardization due to a rights issue or some such bullshit.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I will certainly send an email. Its my favorite soundtrack and worth the crazy prices that dude charges.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Just an FYI if anyone was curious, I emailed Mondo about the Drive OST since they never actually released it like they said the would. They wrote back saying they still plan to release it but wouldn't tell me when. They just said to follow their twitter and facebook for the news. It's really frustrating to me because 1) I don't want to have to follow that stuff, 2) I don't really even want a Tyler Stout cover which will likely be what we get and 3) I just want the dang OST already what is freaking taking so long!?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You know one already got released by some UK label, right?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Yeah I also know I don't want to pay $50+ for an OST that will be released stateside.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Blendy posted:

Yeah I also know I don't want to pay $50+ for an OST that will be released stateside.

It being Mondo, you will probably still be paying at least $40+

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peacebone posted:

It being Mondo, you will probably still be paying at least $40+

And that's assuming it isn't some bullshit limited edition release they make 200 of and sell for an inflated price. Plus they've taken this long without any sort of indication of when they even plan on releasing the thing. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in their product.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And the Invada release is great. You get to choose between Pink, Black, White vinyl or Picture disk :haw:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And the Invada release is great. You get to choose between Pink, Black, White vinyl or Picture disk :haw:

That's another thing. The UK release is put out by an actual record label. Mondo's not really a record label, they're a company that makes overpriced knick-knacks for hipster man-children. You're probably just better off buying something made by people who give a poo poo about music instead of people who make a bunch of useless popculture junk purchased mostly by people who are going to hawk it on ebay.

And before anyone says "hurr, sounds like Third Man", the difference there is that they actually put out quality records and make everything available in non-limted editions at regular retail.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Mondo's releases of the soundtrack to Maniac and The Beyond were $27, including shipping. Not cheap, but not too out of line for a small release. They're great pressings, too.

I'm sure Drive will be a little bit more expensive when it comes out since its a 2LP, but it probably will still be cheaper than the Invada version, at least for people in the US.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wish labels put out cheap white label versions of records as well as the Maniacs Only!! Versions.

Sometimes I just want the music. Don't do a drat thing on the package and give it to me for $6.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Snowy posted:

I wish labels put out cheap white label versions of records as well as the Maniacs Only!! Versions.

Sometimes I just want the music. Don't do a drat thing on the package and give it to me for $6.

The main reason I buy vinyl is the packaging. If I didn't care about that I would just download it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

dflanny posted:

The main reason I buy vinyl is the packaging. If I didn't care about that I would just download it.
Hey I love creative packaging but the prices get a little stupid sometimes. It would be nice to have a budget option other than mp3 since I only listen to music on vinyl these days.

Who wants to start a low price bootleg label, lets do it!!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It's possible to have amazing packaging and great music and not charge $30 a record.

i.e. http://art4punks.blogspot.com/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

alg posted:

It's possible to have amazing packaging and great music and not charge $30 a record.

i.e. http://art4punks.blogspot.com/
This, totally. When you buy from tiny little labels you often get so much for your money it's inspiring.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

it's also nice going to a $5 punk show and literally digging through bins for punk records, a lot of them DIY, for $5-10 each. I'll never do indie rock again. the concerts are expensive, the fans are shitheads, and the merch is way overpriced.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Snowy posted:

Hey I love creative packaging but the prices get a little stupid sometimes. It would be nice to have a budget option other than mp3 since I only listen to music on vinyl these days.

Who wants to start a low price bootleg label, lets do it!!

Yeah, I agree a lot of labels way overcharge for their records, especially with all their '180 gram heavy duty premium audiophile grade' bullshit. I like how labels like No Idea can keep their prices really low, pity I'm not very into that kind of music.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Picking up the Symmetry 3xLP for $15.00 over the summer from Italians do it Better has made me seriously reconsider what I'm willing to spend on certain releases. When I see single LP's going above and beyond $20 or $25 I start to seriously question what production costs are like as the retail pricing on these things are so across the board.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Lariat posted:

Picking up the Symmetry 3xLP for $15.00 over the summer from Italians do it Better has made me seriously reconsider what I'm willing to spend on certain releases. When I see single LP's going above and beyond $20 or $25 I start to seriously question what production costs are like as the retail pricing on these things are so across the board.

I think in some cases the inflated costs have something to do with get the rights to old recordings and/or the expense of remastering things from the original tapes. Of course this would only explain reissue stuff. I think a good portion of the high prices is just the big labels sayins "gently caress you give us your money". Especially because vinyl is popular with young people who have disposable income right now.

edit: If anybody wants a copy of the Eraserhead soundtrack, someone is selling it in SA Mart for the low, low price of 90 dollars.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 5, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I need to get a new receiver. Any suggestions?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I put this at the end of my last post with the pictures, which was probably a stupid place for it. Anyway, what are some good recommendations for players in the $200 or so range?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

edit: If anybody wants a copy of the Eraserhead soundtrack, someone is selling it in SA Mart for the low, low price of 90 dollars.

Hate to just, you know, go to that label's site and buy it for 25.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hate to just, you know, go to that label's site and buy it for 25.

I checked that seller's discogs page to see if he had anything worthwhile that wasn't insanely over priced and right on the first page he had a VG copy of the Doors Waiting for The Sun for $22. I instantly closed the window. This is what happens when people use ebay as a price guide.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I checked that seller's discogs page to see if he had anything worthwhile that wasn't insanely over priced and right on the first page he had a VG copy of the Doors Waiting for The Sun for $22. I instantly closed the window. This is what happens when people use ebay as a price guide.

To be fair to the guy, I just looked and it is in fact the very limited 1st pressing that looks different and has a bunch of extra stuff added that later pressings didn't have. It goes for a lot of money on eBay and off.

Oh, I can buy a russian copy of Maxim where you can see Christina Aguilera's butt for only 60 bucks.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Cheesus posted:

Twist & Shout (Denver), Black & Read (Arvada), Absolute Vinyl (Boulder), and Albums On The Hill (Boulder).

That's great that you went to Black & Read. There isn't any other record store quite like it in Colorado and I really love it. They also have a weirdly good selection considering how relatively limited their space is.

Why didn't you go to Wax Trax? It's right down the street from Twist and Shout!

Lots of people consider Twist and Shout to be some chain-like store because it looks nice but I did have to remember that they are actually independent.

I used to live around the corner from Wax Trax on capitol hill. I miss the days of going there literally every day.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The only reason I didn't go to Wax Trax (or Independent Records) was I was rushed for time that day and couldn't make it (they're not exactly within quick walking distance to Twist & Shout).

However, I agree Wax Trax is great and I've found some great deals there in the past.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
https://vimeo.com/52774847

This is sad. Norton is a great label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread but since you guys are talking about film scores anyway, I was pumped to find this bad boy: